• Latest reply 9 years ago by btw75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WIN_20140428_114620.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Skip down to 4/28 postings for more current - the problem turned out to be 2 things - 1 a missing spring on the fault (solved) and 2) the top ball popper which fires every time another solenoid (pop bumpers, controlled solenoids - but not slings or flippers) fires.

OLD post below:

The VUK is not getting the ball up on the first try on this Earthshaker which is being run by a sys 11 (no letter) board. When the game mode is not ready to do the earthquake (fault line, flashers, shaker motor), the VUK works great. When the quake mode is on kit *always* takes a couple tries as in the video below. NOTE that the plunger is fully extended before the ball gets there, but its not under full power as it falls down with a slight touch.

Things I've done or noted:
1) Coil & plunger have been swapped from the other VUK, problem did not move
2) driver and pre-driver have been replaced, thought they might have been flakey.
3) switch & switch diode good
4) no mechanical interference - and I believe the repeatability of the error makes this an unlikely cause
5) 75v at coil, but coil drops to 70v if a flasher relay in energized (this was during attract mode, I have not attempted to measure during game play.
6) The pulse on U17 seems correct - momentary based on the switch. One thing that I did notice, and it may be my mind playing tricks on me, is that the "second" signal pulse seems longer.

I feel like I've ruled out everything from the U17 through to the plunger... not sure where to go next -Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

3) And from that switch is every wire from switch to switch back to the board in the head all soldered or connected good ?

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

Thanks - the switch is communicating perfectly with the CPU - the signal pulses upon switch activation every time. Do you still think it could be the issue?

The more I think about this the more I think it either is something on the board that effects the pulse duration or its the voltage getting robbed while everything is happening. To test that though, I'm gonna need to learn how to use the max/min function of my meter I think because its gonna be hard to see.

#4 10 years ago

Bump. The repeatability of this error makes me thing the culprit isn't something flakey - its not intermittent - it happens everytime the earthquake is triggered.

#5 10 years ago

Any ideas on how to verify/test either of these thoughts from above?

5) 75v at coil, but coil drops to 70v if a flasher relay in energized (this was during attract mode, I have not attempted to measure during game play) Maybe the voltage drops way lower when the quake is happening?

6) The pulse on U17 seems correct - momentary based on the switch. One thing that I did notice, and it may be my mind playing tricks on me, is that the "second" signal pulse seems longer.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

can't get it up on the first try

Five whole posts into this thread and no plays on this yet?
Shame Pinside, shame.
I expect sooo much more.

#7 10 years ago

Ok, I'll man up - I can't get it up on the first try either....anymore.

#8 10 years ago

Why is your fault line opening and closing multiple times? My ES is in the the middle of a restoration right now but I don't recall it ever doing that. I think that is probably linked to your problem as well.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Quietmouse:

Why is your fault line opening and closing multiple times? My ES is in the the middle of a restoration right now but I don't recall it ever doing that. I think that is probably linked to your problem as well.

Thanks - I'll look into that. I bought this as a project so I didn't know that wasn't normal. I'll ask the earthshaker club if this is normal!
thx

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Quietmouse:

I think you are over thinking this. The plunger is extended too far before the ball gets there means the plunger is dragging on something. It should be down and resting on the switch, but not closing the switch. (The weight of the ball on the plunger should do that) Are you sure the plunger is cleaned and aligned straight? I would also make sure that switch is cleaned and adjusted properly. That particular style of switch needs to be adjusted perfectly, or it will fire too soon or too late.

The fault should not open and close like that, nor should the game fire the vuk until either the fault locks and stays open, or it fires multiple times, fails to lock, then the vuk fires. The fault not locking could be a worn cam, or more likely a worn out spring. That particular spring is under a lot of tension, and seems to wear out over time. (That was the issue with my fault).

Oh yes, does this only happen when the game is trying to lock a ball, or does it happen all the time?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I think you are over thinking this. The plunger is extended too far before the ball gets there means the plunger is dragging on something. It should be down and resting on the switch, but not closing the switch. (The weight of the ball on the plunger should do that) Are you sure the plunger is cleaned and aligned straight? I would also make sure that switch is cleaned and adjusted properly. That particular style of switch needs to be adjusted perfectly, or it will fire too soon or too late.

I thought this too - that's why I've checked for all mechanical interference (none) and even swapped the plunger/coil mech with the other VUK - also, see the next answer:

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Oh yes, does this only happen when the game is trying to lock a ball, or does it happen all the time?

ONLY when its trying to lock the ball - I was calling this the earthquake. It works 100% reliably otherwise. This seems to confirm that its not really mechanical in the VUK assembly - to me anyway.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

The fault should not open and close like that, nor should the game fire the vuk until either the fault locks and stays open, or it fires multiple times, fails to lock, then the vuk fires. The fault not locking could be a worn cam, or more likely a worn out spring. That particular spring is under a lot of tension, and seems to wear out over time. (That was the issue with my fault).

This is useful - I'll start here by removing that mechanism from the equation and then seeing if the VUK is successful, if so I'll rebuild the fault assembly and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I thought this too - that's why I've checked for all mechanical interference (none) and even swapped the plunger/coil mech with the other VUK - also, see the next answer:

ONLY when its trying to lock the ball - I was calling this the earthquake. It works 100% reliably otherwise. This seems to confirm that its not really mechanical in the VUK assembly - to me anyway.

This is useful - I'll start here by removing that mechanism from the equation and then seeing if the VUK is successful, if so I'll rebuild the fault assembly and see if that helps.
Thanks again!

Only when trying to lock....check the switch for the fault. That is what causes the vuk to fire when the game is trying to lock the ball.

Have you verified the state of the switch under the vuk and the fault via the switch test yet?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Only when trying to lock....check the switch for the fault. That is what causes the vuk to fire when the game is trying to lock the ball.
Have you verified the state of the switch under the vuk and the fault via the switch test yet?

The switch for the VUK was adjusted and cleaned - and works reliably when the fault isn't happening. I haven't done a thing with the fault yet - I'll be able to mess with it next week and report back.

#14 10 years ago

So - the fault spring was disconnected - the fault now seems to work ok. I still have issues with the Vuk though as it fires often - in fact, it fires any time ANY of the 3 pop bumpers fires (EDIT - or in fact ANY other controlled solenoid). This happens even in switch test modes. I do notice, however, that when using the switch levels test any pop switch can be held down and the vuk fires, but the vuk switch doesn't register. It does in the edges test, but I think that's because the plunger is triggering it, not a switch matrix problem

I don't get how the pop bumper is triggering the vuk... With my logic probe, I necked U17 - it is NOT sending a signal for the vuk to fire when the pop is switched, so this doesn't seem to be CPU problem - for the record, its not the transistor firing either.

This seems to lead to a short with the wires controlling the other coils and the vuk leading me down the route of looking for wire damage. Any other ideas?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

So - the fault spring was disconnected - the fault now seems to work ok. I still have issues with the Vuk though as it fires often - in fact, it fires any time ANY of the 3 pop bumpers fires (EDIT - or in fact ANY other controlled solenoid). This happens even in switch test modes. I do notice, however, that when using the switch levels test any pop switch can be held down and the vuk fires, but the vuk switch doesn't register. It does in the edges test, but I think that's because the plunger is triggering it, not a switch matrix problem
I don't get how the pop bumper is triggering the vuk... With my logic probe, I necked U17 - it is NOT sending a signal for the vuk to fire when the pop is switched, so this doesn't seem to be CPU problem - for the record, its not the transistor firing either.
This seems to lead to a short with the wires controlling the other coils and the vuk leading me down the route of looking for wire damage. Any other ideas?

The switch needs to be adjusted to be slightly more opened. The vibration from the pops is causing the switch to close and then fire.

#16 10 years ago

This may not help but in your video it looked like the left hand side of the wireform was being hit by the upkicked ball and scrubbing momentum off the ball on the first (mainly) and second (not quite as much) try to kick the ball. The first failure looked quite obvious, seemed like the ball was hitting the lower left part of the wireform at the lower curve then rattling between the wires and falling after only going up about 2 inches or so. Maybe something to take a peek at / adjust slightly just in case the wireform is a bit off-kilter? The problem does seem to be more than just that but I thought I would mention it in case it helps in some way.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

The switch needs to be adjusted to be slightly more opened. The vibration from the pops is causing the switch to close and then fire.

Nope. I tried again this morning to be sure - I can take the switch off the playfield and insulate the contacts and it still happens with every coil fire.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and fear the problem may be somewhere else? How would the Vuk solenoid fire when every other solenoid (except flippers, slings) fires? I'm almost thinking that I need to dig in to the schematics and see if something is not wired properly. I bought this machine not working and its safe to say that there have been some modifications made, such as using the sys 11 CPU board.

Chime in if you have ideas, I'm also going to name the thread to more accurately describe the current problem.

#18 10 years ago

If it's not a short somewhere (never easy to find) I'd check the 7408 at U17 and the PIA at U10 which drives the solenoids. The former can be checked with the meter in diode setting. The latter if you have Leon's test ROM and a logic probe.

viperrwk

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If it's not a short somewhere (never easy to find) I'd check the 7408 at U17 and the PIA at U10 which drives the solenoids. The former can be checked with the meter in diode setting. The latter if you have Leon's test ROM and a logic probe.
viperrwk

Thx viper - headed out to the shop now. The short idea is interesting, but I'm surprised it wouldn't lead to the error in reverse; e.g. vuk fires then something else fires. As for the U17, it does not change output signal when the vuk fires because something else did - only when its supposed to fire. This is why I feel like its safe to eliminate everything downstream of the transistor. No test Rom here.

A

#20 10 years ago

I also removed 1J12 from the CPU which is what fires the Vuk - but it still fires.

New theory - the Road Kings jumper requirements (this is a road kings board) are different than earthshakers - so I'm going to try to figure out those differences..

#21 10 years ago

Real time blogging -
I removed anything brown/green from the CPU and aux power - still the problem; however, then I removed the J12 from the back box interconnect - and bingo -- so now I know where to concentrate.

#22 10 years ago

If you remove 1J12 from the CPU board and it still fires, and you don't get other solenoids firing when the VUK fires, then it seems like something is miswired. By removing 1J12 you have removed the ground path to the solenoid so it should not fire unless there's either a short or it's still (incorrectly) connected.

While the jumpers are different between RK and ES, it shouldn't be causing you an issue:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_MPU_Jumpers

Only differences are in RK compared to ES, jumpers 12 & 13 are set and jumper 18 is set for RK compared to 19 for ES which is for the sound RAM.

viperrwk

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you remove 1J12 from the CPU board and it still fires, and you don't get other solenoids firing when the VUK fires, then it seems like something is miswired. By removing 1J12 you have removed the ground path to the solenoid so it should not fire unless there's either a short or it's still (incorrectly) connected.
While the jumpers are different between RK and ES, it shouldn't be causing you an issue:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_MPU_Jumpers
Only differences are in RK compared to ES, jumpers 12 & 13 are set and jumper 18 is set for RK compared to 19 for ES which is for the sound RAM.
viperrwk

Thanks - I'll look into the jumpers later. For now - its the one connector J11 on the interconnect board that has 1 wire - I can pull that one and the game works. I seem to recall that being for a GI relay or something - time to check

#24 9 years ago

Found it!! Someone before me ripped the pin out of the 3rd spot on this connector, then just pressed the wire into the 2nd spot. The previous owner probably didn't realize this had been done and installed the connector like normal (not shifted 1 spot). I know this was a problem the previous owner had, so I'm not blaming him - the guy before him!

I guess the flash relay was enough to get the vuk to operate....

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, it really helps to be able to type these problems up and get the thoughts clear about what's happening.

WIN_20140428_114620.JPGWIN_20140428_114620.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-vuk-cant-get-it-up-on-the-first-try and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.