You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3245.jpg
image-36.jpg
image-299.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Picked up some super-bands a while back mostly because they are from a local guy/company and partly cause I needed some new bands anyway. I had some black ones on my SF2 and they needed replaced.

I was slightly concerned that they would have too much bounce when the Honda/Bison kickouts popped out the ball towards the flippers. I can tell you they react exactly the same as regular flippers. Added a video (hope it works) to show the natural bounce.[attachment=1180069,undefined]

I also noticed the Guile shot (not easy may I add) is much easier to attain with the new bands. I don't know if it is more control or just the fact I had old rubbers on the machine to start with but it is an upgrade.

I also put them on a rollergames also, they play exactly how the other red ones did. No difference in gameplay and they do look nice. I may be crazy, but the ball seems to move down the flipper more slowly on these than the other rubbers. No proof of that and maybe I was looking for a difference. Didn't result in any change in gameplay though so I may have imagined it.

Well worth the couple of dollars I spent. Will end up putting these on any games I own in the future.

// Error: Image 143241 not found //// Error: Image 143240 not found //

[attachment=1180069,]
#2 10 years ago

Doesn't look like pics worked first time, will try em again...

image-36.jpgimage-36.jpgimage-299.jpgimage-299.jpg

#3 10 years ago

No luck with video, but ill try it again! Is there a upload limit? Video is 6mb.

#4 10 years ago

You can't upload video here,,, Need to post to youtube...

"To include a YouTube or Vimeo link, simply paste the URL"

#5 10 years ago

The problem with Superbands and standard flipper rubbers is that they are too wide for Sys3 flippers. You need a 3/8" flipper rubber for the Gottlieb bats that fit under the ridge. Otherwise you get air balls, crazy shots and more difficult catches. I like the look but they will not be going in my SG unless they come up with a narrow band version.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

The problem with Superbands and standard flipper rubbers is that they are too wide for Sys3 flippers. You need a 3/8" flipper rubber for the Gottlieb bats that fit under the ridge. Otherwise you get air balls, crazy shots and more difficult catches. I like the look but they will not be going in my SG unless they come up with a narrow band version.
viperrwk

Can't say I have had that problem yet. Played about 70 games. Seem to work just fine.

#7 10 years ago

Ok, let's see if the video works now! At the very least here is a link. Well worth the few dollars, they work perfectly and add some nice color.

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/d_woodske/media/IMG_0240_zps468162e1.mp4.html

[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/d_woodske/IMG_0240_zps468162e1.mp4][IMG]http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p703/d_woodske/th_IMG_0240_zps468162e1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

#8 10 years ago

Ok, uploaded it to Vimeo, lets see if this works!

https://vimeo.com/77553428

I will mention that this is BEFORE I waxed it, it does have a little more movement up the lane than this. But it does react identically to the old normal rubber bands that went on the flipper.

In short I would reccomend the super bands. There is also no noticeable difference at all in the top flipper for SF2. Plays the same.

5 months later
#9 10 years ago

I hate to resurrect a thread, but Marcos now has the thinner Gottlieb Super-Bands. I also wanted to shout out to another SF2 fan. I have one and it's fun.

I just did all of the Flippers and I also put in the Super-Band pin and post rubbers. They make it even more lively

#10 10 years ago

Haven't done the posts yet on the SF2, may have to do that one soon! Mine plays pretty easy. I have played alot of games with the original super bands and never had an issue, no wild shot or misplayed balls at all.

I did put them in my stern playboy and that made a world of difference! Made missing the center shot a real Bitch.

#11 10 years ago

Todd at TNT just mentioned the Gottlieb flipper ring size issue on one of the last videos he did. He mentioned increased playfield wear/ mylar damage as really the upper lip of the ring causes the ball to be driven downward as the ball is shot. If they are not the correct size band I would not use.

Yippy Marco has the thinner ones!

#12 10 years ago

In full tear down and shop mode on the dirtiest game I have ever purchased. Got one new bat on with a new superband from Marco, this is how it should look. I dont think you want to put the full sized bands on there, as control of the bad and the downward motion on such would be prohibitive...
IMAG3245.jpgIMAG3245.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Wow that blue looks really nice, and seems like orange, yellow, or red would look just as good on that title.

#14 10 years ago

Is it just me or does it really look like the thinner Super Bands are what Gottlieb flippers are actually designed to use? They seem to fit perfectly between the grooves. Have thin rubbers always been available?

#15 10 years ago

They are designed to use the thinner flipper rubber, some people use the larger rubbers and it works fine, but can cause premature wear due to the upper ridge of the bat sticking out and forcing the ball to the pf surface first..

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

In full tear down and shop mode on the dirtiest game I have ever purchased. Got one new bat on with a new superband from Marco, this is how it should look. I dont think you want to put the full sized bands on there, as control of the bad and the downward motion on such would be prohibitive...

IMAG3245.jpg 268 KB

I love the HeroClix that I have in my SF2!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

They are designed to use the thinner flipper rubber, some people use the larger rubbers and it works fine...

I disagree. The big rubbers make hollow spots behind the bats inevitable. I bought my Genie back from a friend and he had put 1/2" rubbers (normal for most games) on it. I replaced them with the correct 3/8" rubbers and it played noticeably better. I'll never go back.

Gottlieb mini flippers also play much better with the correct beaded rubbers. Most are content with white 1" regular rings on those. The correct beaded rubbers play much better. Not sure if anyone is making those in urethane yet.

Part of it is that not all suppliers carry both of those rubbers. PB Resource may be the only place to get both. The last batch I got from them (all red) were very lively. If you own a Gottlieb that calls for those rubbers, get the correct rubbers. The oversized rubbers look like crap and the white rings aren't nearly as grippy as the beaded minis.

#18 10 years ago

Couldn't agree more, especially the minis, white rings just suck on them.

2 weeks later
#19 9 years ago

As an update I replaced the larger Super Bands with the Smaller ones that are made for the Gottlieb Flippers.

There IS a noticeable difference. I thought it would be no difference but they do play better (specially on longer shots). More accuracy and are a bit more lively. Would recommend switching out the large ones for the correctly sized ones if you haven't already done so on your SF2.

#20 9 years ago

And I stayed with Yellow, liked that look the best. Tried red and blue...Yellow looked the best to me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bands-in-action-on-street-fighter-ii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.