(Topic ID: 11499)

Subwoofers!

By pinster68

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SOPsub.jpg
    IMAG0311.jpg
    Sub-asses.jpg
    Polk_vs_Sony.jpg
    Subwoofers!.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Finally got around to getting two more subwoofers for my pins.

These are the Polk PSW10. Amazon's prices have varied over the weeks. The first, black PSW10 cost me $90. When I went back to buy more they were $120, and the cherry PSW10 were now $99, so I purchased two of the cherry. Today, they've changed again ($99 for the black, $120 for the cherry).

Anyhoo, these are excellent subs. They have TWO inputs (Left/Right) so I can put two pins on one PSW10. Can't do that with my Sony sub. Dollar for dollar a better deal.

I also threw in photos of a compare I did with the Sony and Polk subs...

Enjoy.

Brian

Subwoofers!.jpgSubwoofers!.jpg Polk_vs_Sony.jpgPolk_vs_Sony.jpg Sub-asses.jpgSub-asses.jpg

#2 12 years ago

You can hook up two pins to the Sony. Just use the left and right red/black inputs. I've got mine hooked up to two pins like that. Now I'm sure the quality of the Polk is better, but for pins I would have to hear it to see if it made enough difference to matter.

#3 12 years ago

You can do the same with the Polk. I took the cover off of mine and during multiball I can feel the air shooting out of the port.

IMAG0311.jpgIMAG0311.jpg

#4 12 years ago

Keep your eyes peeled for deals on the Polk psw505. It's a better sub and they go on big sales from time to time. I think I got one for under 150 shipped. Also I find them on craigslist on the cheap too.

#5 12 years ago

I just ordered one of these. I"ll report back with my findings later this week once installed on my LoTR.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

#6 12 years ago

Awesome frog btw

#7 12 years ago

I have my Iron Man and BDK hooked up to a even bigger Polk sub I got on ebay several years ago. Blows away any smallr sub and just makes the game that much more intense. I strongly recommend a self powered floor sub for any pin, they rock! IMO they dont take away from the look of the game at all, just an opinion.

#8 12 years ago

I am probably going to settle on a 3 pin lineup. Is there a good sub that you can attach 3 to?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from raddroxx:

You can do the same with the Polk. I took the cover off of mine and during multiball I can feel the air shooting out of the port.

Attachments IMAG0311.jpg (231.2 KB, 0 downloads) 18 hours old

I believe that's essentially a vent port. The cone's travel displaces air in the cabinet and it needs a place to go. Set the sub on high and hold a piece of paper over the port during a sound check on a nice heavy bass theme ... It's quite entertaining.

1 month later
    #10 12 years ago

Is the installation as simple as hooking up the left and right channel from the pin to the sub.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinnation:

Is the installation as simple as hooking up the left and right channel from the pin to the sub.

Pretty much, as long as you are talking about most DMD pins.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinnation:

Yes and no. Check the polarity, some pins had a notable difference when the polarity is switched. Otherwise it is more or less plug and play.

I must admit I'm not liking the clutter under my pins, the extra cables, and when I have to pull a game out for some quick maintenance it all just being in the way.

Otherwise the sound is great.

#13 12 years ago

So how does it handle two playing at the same time?

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So how does it handle two playing at the same time?

Tricky to add the second pin. For example. I had a Creature all set up on one channel, I added my RS to the second channel, but it started playing out the RS until I switched polarity and messed with the phase switch. I did get it working fine; two subs, four pins, but I really felt uncomfortable with the play-through I got on the RS. Not knowing well enough how these work I opted to stick with one pin, one sub.

That aside, the sound was as expected even with two pins going.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Awesome frog btw

With the pinballs in the dish, hilarious!

#16 12 years ago

Yeah that frog kicks ass

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from TJ141:

Yeah that frog kicks ass

Thanks guys. It was purely convenience that I dropped the balls on his tray one day while shopping a pin. It looked so right that I filled the tray and he's been the pinball mascot since.

#18 12 years ago

My Sopranos Sub-woofer...

SOPsub.jpgSOPsub.jpg

#19 12 years ago

I have two polk psw10 running 4 machines and they sound great!

5 months later
    #20 11 years ago
    Quoted from ninjabones:

I just ordered one of these. I"ll report back with my findings later this week once installed on my LoTR.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Update ?

Also I see "This Product Is No Longer Available"

1 year later
    #21 10 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of how they routed the chord from the sub to the machine? I have my External Sub wire routed through the coin door. I am thinking of routing it somewhere else for better convenience.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinDescabarian:

Does anyone have pictures of how they routed the chord from the sub to the machine? I have my External Sub wire routed through the coin door. I am thinking of routing it somewhere else for better convenience.

On Stern machines I run it through the power cord hole out the back. On Williams / Ballys I run it through a vent hole in the bottom back end of the cabinet.

#23 10 years ago

Are you able to run the chord through the power chord hole on Stern without removing or manipulating the plastic that surrounds the power chord? It looks overly tight to me. What is the trick?

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinDescabarian:

Are you able to run the chord through the power chord hole on Stern without removing or manipulating the plastic that surrounds the power chord? It looks overly tight to me. What is the trick?

I pop the round vent screen next to the power cord and push it through there.

#25 10 years ago

Ok. Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to push it through the chord hole after playing with it. Never thought I would say that. Case closed. Metallica sounds bad ass with the sub!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/subwoofers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.