Linked Games

• Viper Stern Electronics, 1981

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sh817b.jpg
image-782.jpg
image-181.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I was playing my Viper last night, after I installed a super cap to replace the battery. When I was done, I left it on to charge. Aboutan hour later I hear a buzzing sound, so I go look, and the displays are all off, but the play field lights are still on. So I turn it off, and now when I turn it on, the led on the MPU doesn't blink seven times. I get the initial flicker, but no blinks at all. According to the repair guide the game program ROMs could be bad.
Does that make sense? It just failed from sitting there with the power on? Why the speaker buzz?

#2 10 years ago

First check all the obvious stuff like did you install the cap backwards, corrosion from the old battery, lifted traces...

The post a close up pic of the front and back of the board where you worked on it.

Try reseating the ROMs in their sockets. If this brings the game back, you need to replace those sockets!

Quoted from Tridentphoto:

It just failed from sitting there with the power on?

It's an old board, things will fail from time to time.

But because you just worked on it, it is probably something like a connector or socket.

#3 10 years ago

Well now that's weird. I just went my friends Ola e and verified the ROMs are ok. So according to the blinking led test the issue was the ROMs but it isn't. Wtf
Oh and here's a photo of the cap I added.

image-181.jpgimage-181.jpg image-782.jpgimage-782.jpg
#4 10 years ago

There is some corrosion which compromises IC sockets. The fumes get up inside them more so than damaging other components. Plus those are single wipe style.

If your roms work in a different MPU, but only give you a flicker in your MPU that used to boot. That would mean you either 95% chance of having a ROM socket error 5% chance of other errors like chip select.

#5 10 years ago

So if it is a socket error, what would be the best way to handle that? And if it was functioning, and left on, then went glitchy, wouldn't that point to something else?

#7 10 years ago

The other thing you could try is booting your MPU on the bench or in your friends game. Just plug in j4 and see if it flashes up.

#8 10 years ago

I've been bench testing it as well, still the same problem. I just think its weird that the sockets would suddenly fail. It's obviously not impossible, just odd that they'd crap out with no outside forces. It's not like I was moving the board, or anything.
I'm thinking there's another answer, but I will eventually try to redo the socket if nothing else pops up. I have another board, and I was testing the whole removing a socket thing, it's not pretty.

#9 10 years ago

Sockets crap out all the time.

Just the heat from the game running will expand them and crash the CPU.

Here is a Bally MPU that I just bulletproofed for a customer for that very reason (your old Stern is the same system).

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2

#10 10 years ago

Well, I totally trust your judgement, so I'll give it a whirl on the socket replacements. I have a hot air, and a temp controlled iron, which is better to use? Also I run it at 700deg, is that about right?

#11 10 years ago

Do you have a Solder Sucker?

sh817b.jpgsh817b.jpg

#12 10 years ago

I guess I'm asking what your skill level is.

I can salvage an entire IC out in one piece with hot air, but your 40 year old Stern board is not the place to practice on.

Usually the plastic frame on an IC socket can be lifted up, leaving just the contacts behind.

Some examples here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#13 10 years ago

A contact point inside one of the socket housing probably broke. It happens, even more so when corrosion fumes potentially weakened them.

I wouldnt do socket replacement on a bally MPU unless you are well practiced. Traces go between the rom pads. Without the right equipment and practice, it can get ugly. Also if you choose to do socket replacement. Change the jumpers so you only have to use U2 and U6. That way only 2 sockets and 2 eproms need replaced.

You can use your DMM on beep test to go between the sockets pins and test continuity if you want to narrow down to a specific socket being bad. If you find u1 or u5 is the bad socket. Rejumper your MPU to use only u2 and u6 and you may not have to replace sockets.

#14 10 years ago

This is where something like the FIX-IT by TwoBits.com comes in handy: http://www.twobits.com/fixit/

It has several jumpers/shunts on the board and allows you to easily switch over to the FIX-IT's RAM, game eproms or RESET circuitry without removing any of the other chips. The price is high enough that if you only have one of these games you're fixing on the cheap then it's likely not an option, but if you're fixing a lot of early Bally or Stern machines it pays for itself quick in time savings and is a great tool to have around when troubleshooting boards. It'd help identify pretty quickly if the eprom or 5101 sockets are having issues, though as others have suggested there you can do this by checking continuity, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-issue-with-mpu-on-stern-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.