(Topic ID: 11867)

Stern's build quality

By scooter

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_launcher_problems.jpg
    2012-05-04_16.40.50.jpg
    cheers.gif
    IMG_0629.jpg
    my_Heart_,,,,,.jpg
    lotr_013.JPG
    ALL_Right.gif
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Someone needs to remind the Kool aid drinkers that sugar rots their teeth.

If I'm not mistaken AC/DC is Honda's first late model Stern, hardly a Stern kool-aid drinker.

#202 11 years ago

It really is not that difficult once you know how to do it. Push feild all the way back until it stops. Then go to the side lift bottom a bit and push back until you think it will reach lower support then slowly place it down go to front and lightly push into place. Or just fluidly push over bump with enough even force to put on lower support and push in. You don't need two people and once you do it a couple of times it is simple and quick. Not arguing that the other type is isnt easier I just don't really see why a procedure like this would cause some so much grief.

#203 11 years ago

Leg protectors may not be a "genius" idea, but it is appreciated. Same with flipper button protectors and anything else that limits wear on a pinball machine.

I'm just happy pinball companies are adding stuff and not taking stuff away. Impressed that JJP is also going to use quality products like extra clear coat, playfield supports, etc.., can't figure how that is a bad thing. Competition is helping create better built pins.

For the record, not buying a WOZ or AC/DC pin.

#204 11 years ago

My TSPP is on rails, I forgot you were using pegs....FUCK those pegs altogether....

I also pickup from the bottom of the playfield wood, not the plastic panel...

#205 11 years ago

What are these pegs?

Anyone have a pic?

#206 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Hopefully jschlarb reads this as brute force is NOT how it goes back in haha...

I personally step to the side and pull up on the back and ease the playfield in, but Stern's own how-to video demonstrates the "firm push" method which does work. Watch the following Stern video at 50 seconds...
    http://www.sternpinball.com/Media/Videos/instructional-series/2345.aspx

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

tomdotcom said:Hopefully jschlarb reads this as brute force is NOT how it goes back in haha...
    I personally step to the side and pull up on the back and ease the playfield in, but Stern's own how-to video demonstrates the "firm push" method which does work. Watch the following Stern video at 50 seconds...
    http://www.sternpinball.com/Media/Videos/instructional-series/2345.aspx

People are really confused on how to push the playfield in? Two people? Grab from the side? It's so easy. Just push it. When you get to the lump pull it back slightly and push harder. It goes right in.

#208 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I played AC/DC Bible today and it is as nice feeling as any W/B game I have played ! Well done !
    This thread was an attempt to bag on AC/DC and it failed !
    Jim

Nail on tha Head !!!!!!!!

#209 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Nail on tha Head !!!!!!!

Damn straight !

Jim

#210 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Yes it was the pro and it played great as it is a Ritchie/Lyman game,with great flow and very fast ( so sharpen your reflexes BR or the ball will drain before you know it)The bell was cool and I shot the bell with the cannon-Really cool!The theme is not for me though.Maybe the Le and premium will be sturdier as SR said no expense was spared in the bill of materials.
    I do think the Legs are not quite as sturdy as the past.

Av8 or any of you guy's that have the Premium's and LE's .. Do the Leg's Fell Less Sturdy ?

#211 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Av8 or any of you guy's that have the Premium's and LE's .. Do the Leg's Fell Less Sturdy ?

This game is rock solid , I do tighten the jam nuts on the adjusters .

Jim

#212 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Do the Leg's Fell Less Sturdy ?

Nope, don't see or feel a difference.

#213 11 years ago

Times change.. Technology changes.

#214 11 years ago

Never had an issue pushing in a Stern p/f. Just needs a bit of a push/momentum.

I guess it would be easier with two people on each side and one on each end like palbearers

(a little morbid humour is always nice in the morning with my cup of napalm).

#215 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

jschlarb said:IM is a bit of a problem too, because the back panel is just flexible plastic and there's nothing to grab.
    Works best if you pick up the back edge of the "PF" not the back panel.

Right... that said i still just shove it in with the pegs as it hops in... i assumed this was how it was intended to be done and have had no issues..

#216 11 years ago

I own 8 NIB HUO Sterns
    AcDc BIB
    POTC
    TSPP
    TRON LE
    TF LE DEC
    LOTR LE
    SM
    The only issues I have had have been with ACDC and have being sorted quickly by Stern
    Bell opto failed - fixed in 3 days
    Cannon ball stuck - I added PinballLife mylar to base and side and smoothed ball entry -works A1!
    Dent on playfield and 1inch clearcoat reduced by rubbing back to reduce damage - New playfield on its way - Hard to notice!
    Hologram sticker doesnt match up with build no. - ?
    Overall Stern build quality has been great with very minimal breakdowns!
    I had 5 B/W A titles and was always fixing things

#217 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

kmoore88 said:jschlarb said:IM is a bit of a problem too, because the back panel is just flexible plastic and there's nothing to grab.
    Works best if you pick up the back edge of the "PF" not the back panel.
    Right... that said i still just shove it in with the pegs as it hops in... i assumed this was how it was intended to be done and have had no issues..

Exactly. My phrase "brute force" was a little off, since it only takes a little push to get the PF over the hump. I can't see lifting over the hump, that's too much work. I do it like the guy in the Stern video, so it must be right.

#218 11 years ago

You Stern haters are something else. I played both AC/DC BIBLE and just today "grh450' unboxed a AC/DC pro and both seem real sturdy and very solid feel while playing, Stern has a number 1 title here, congrats to the Stern team on a great playin pin!!

#219 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrTilt:

Hologram sticker doesnt match up with build no. - ?

Let me guess, 666 ? LMAO

Jim

#220 11 years ago

Cheaply made, but they seem to hold up well.

#221 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

MrTilt said:Hologram sticker doesnt match up with build no. - ?
    Let me guess, 666 ? LMAO
    Jim

That would be the Iron Maiden pin wouldn't it?

1 month later
    #222 11 years ago

Took my Tron apart today to clean it and investigate a number of niggles. I hardly play my machines so that's why it's taken so long.

Primary in the niggle list is the fact that ball launching has never been reliable - often crashing near the Flynn area, or rattling in the top right and not making the orbit.

Problems found so far:

1) Right side shooter lane wood incorrectly fitted - 1.5-2mm out of place at the far end steering the ball towards the minipost and metal wire rail near Flynn.

2) Metal wire rail near Flynn leaning to the right a bit making 1) worse. These two combined cause the ball to stop here 50% of the time.

3) Shooter lane ramp not fitted straight, steers ball to the left, which crashes into....

4) Top right outer loop, left side wire guide is the wrong shape (possibly), if 3) wasn't so bad it probably wouldn't be an issue.

For fuck sake. I'm not impressed, this is really basic stuff - drilling holes in the right places. I can fix 1) by drilling the playfield for a new final screw hole on the guide, or by getting a new guide entirely. I'm not sure how to fix 3) - There's no space to drill new holes there, I can't use a rubber at the end to force it to aim in the right direction because it'll just push out the lane guide it rests against. I might have to file the countersunk screw holes in the metal ramp. tron_launcher_problems.jpgtron_launcher_problems.jpg

#223 11 years ago

I will say this. I am not one to jump up and praise stern on any level normally. After seeing the factory in action its just good measure to look over everything right away.

I have had decals peel off. Pf's with missing clear. Miss installed ramps switches etc.

Bottom line is if you want it done right.....go over it yourself.

I do feel the newer sterns shake easier i dunno if its the legs or the mounting points or what. They feel sturdy though. I like it better. Trying to nudge a widebody willams....there is a workout.

#224 11 years ago

I love my stern pinball machines, But Stern are hopeless in returning emails most of the time. !

Problems I have had with there products are:
    ACDC Cannon Motor and 2 ball problem
    ACDC Lightening bolt plastics broke - Now they have a metal rear plate for protection.
    TFLE Cabinet Decals - There were crap - sorry
    LOTR - Arwin Plastic should have had a protector to save these from breaking at the start, and not to reproduce to replace these without purchasing an entire set is crazy.
    But Stern do not seem to care (Entire set or nothing)
    WOF - Code should I say more
    Clear coating - Playfields are to thin for my liking, We pay more, but seem to get less.

I feel when SM was out, we got more for our Buck.

#225 11 years ago

Had two issues that required contacting stern.. IJ4 scull was not flashing, sent an email and they replied within 24hrs and had new board in mail in 48 hours.

I had an issue with my Tron Pro, left a voicemail and Pat called me back on my cell phone within the hour.

Never had an issue with Stern support.. just the quality of the games. Bean counters have always been the problem, not the employees. (Assembly line issues aside)

#226 11 years ago

I have to say the quality has clearly improved weight-wise. Over the weekend I played a lot of games on route, NGG and Ac/Dc were very hard to nudge to get the right results. NASCAR on the other hand, I tried to nudge the same way and almost threw the machine on my gf, the car was throwing balls SDTM so I was nudging agressively, and really knocked it, amazingly I didn't tilt, but when I rage shook it, I did tilt.

I'm also ready to say that NASCAR is neck and neck with Stones on the worst game Stern has ever done.

I was also eyeing shooter lanes over the weekend on these routed machines. None of them were in great shape, stern or williams.

#227 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

I feel when SM was out, we got more for our Buck.

RIGHTOH!!!

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-build-quality/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.