(Topic ID: 74201)

Stern red 5v LED DMD in a Williams?

By tvbenk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Has anyone attempted it? I was going to try this weekend, but haven't looked into it regarding available power.

#2 10 years ago

Should be fairly easy. Connect only pins 4 and 6 of the connector on the DMD and install the ribbon cable.

I've done the opposite and installed a plasma in a newer Stern.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-for-converting-sterns-with-red-led-display-to-plasma

#3 10 years ago

That should do it. Just wondering if anyone else had tried it. Thanks

#4 10 years ago

Highly unlikely that the regulated 5v supply for WPC will be able to source enough current to drive the display. You could however install a separate power supply to drive the display.

#5 10 years ago

I had thought about that also, what's the current draw on them?

I know the blue displays draw a lot of current, wasn't sure about red.

Should I grab a wall wart or use an old PC power supply using the 5v?

#6 10 years ago

I had to look it up. This is a Vishay. It's 6.5W max on +5Vdc.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/37088/lee128g032b.pdf

So you would need an external supply that's capable of 1.3A. I would recommend only using a power supply with a ground pin so you can tie the supply ground to the game. You don't want the display power floating relative to the game.

Also, be careful experimenting with the Stern displays. It's not uncommon for some of the LEDs to be damaged even with normal use.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

To update, I did this last night, and it works great. I found a 5v 2amp wall wart and wired it up to the display and used the technician AC adapter by the coin box. I did this with a Johnny Mnemonic and I think it fits the theme.

2 years later
    #8 8 years ago

I am moving an avengers hulk green display into a cirqus Voltaire. The easier solution for me is to use the system 12v unregulated and a step down converter and pulling 5v from there. This only zaps 1/2 amp from the 12v circuit and avoids the hassles of an added power supply.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Should be fairly easy. Connect only pins 4 and 6 of the connector on the DMD and install the ribbon cable.
    I've done the opposite and installed a plasma in a newer Stern.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-for-converting-sterns-with-red-led-display-to-plasma

Will this work? Only connect pins 4 and 6?

#10 8 years ago

So I put a stern red into a t2 without modifying anything. It's been running for a year 7 days a week. No issues at all.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

So I put a stern red into a t2 without modifying anything. It's been running for a year 7 days a week. No issues at all.

It's not that it's impossible. But remember this is the same circuit that causes game resets so the last thing you want to do is tax it with another 1.3amp drain.

#12 8 years ago

How did you do it?

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

How did you do it?

Literally just installed it when the original dmd died.

#14 8 years ago

You guys have me wondering if there are multiple versions of the red dmd that stern released. I simply installed one a stern dmd into t2 because we put a color dmd into the stern game.

#15 8 years ago

Thread is talking about the red LED 5v Dmd.

#16 8 years ago

You guys have me wondering if there are multiple versions of the red dmd that stern released. I simply installed one a stern dmd into t2 because we put a color dmd into the stern game.

These are 5v DMDs. They'll run ok in your Williams game off the 5v but the 5v circuit is the one that the CPU logic relies upon and isn't one I would add extra strain to

#17 8 years ago

Only puts strain on pre wpc 95 games. My congo runs fine with this mod as well.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

Only puts strain on pre wpc 95 games. My congo runs fine with this mod as well.

The fact that the game appears to be running fine does *not* indicate that it is not putting a strain on the board circuit that wasn't designed for the extra load. WPC95 games reset just like WPC games when 5v is low.

#19 8 years ago

Literally just installed it when the original dmd died.

Ok so all you did was take a stern red LED DMD, like from Xmen, and put it in a T2 without changing or doing anything? That is awesome! I am getting a ColorDMD for my Xmen and I will put the red DMD for my Xmen into my Dr. who Thanks for the advice!

#20 8 years ago

For anyone doing this I would recommend at least getting that wpc reset board that uses the 12v for 5v on the CPU side

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok so all you did was take a stern red LED DMD, like from Xmen, and put it in a T2 without changing or doing anything? That is awesome! I am getting a ColorDMD for my Xmen and I will put the red DMD for my Xmen into my Dr. who Thanks for the advice!

I am not recommending anyone else do it. Per this thread it seems that maybe I got lucky with no issues. I have had it in a T2 at Headquarters running fine for over a year though. I just don't want to see anyone do something because I got lucky and end up damaging something.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

For anyone doing this I would recommend at least getting that wpc reset board that uses the 12v for 5v on the CPU side

Where do you get this board?

#24 8 years ago

Sweet, thanks man! That's way easier then splicing this and wiring that.

1 year later
    #25 6 years ago

Ok I have been reading this three and thinking about installing the red stern dmd that came with my NIB met pro earlier this year in my T2. Is it as simple as buying the $29 reset board mentioned by markmon and installing it? The reason I am asking this question again is that I know there are a lot more red stern DMDs out there with color DMD getting more popular and wonder if this has worked for others and/or if someone has discovered a better option. Thanks.

3 months later
    #28 6 years ago

Please respond.

#29 6 years ago

No it won’t. Get the reset board Markmon mentioned, a step down converter, or a wall wort.

2 years later
    #30 3 years ago
    Quoted from tvbenk:

Thanks for the advice.
    To update, I did this last night, and it works great. I found a 5v 2amp wall wart and wired it up to the display and used the technician AC adapter by the coin box. I did this with a Johnny Mnemonic and I think it fits the theme.

Yes, found an old Roku wall wart that did 5v and 1.5a, pinned a connector, looks great on my T2. Thanks Pinsiders!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-red-5v-led-dmd-in-a-williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.