• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B1DB0B48-3743-475A-B455-893F706DCFB6 (resized).jpeg
13A6AFD1-1EB5-4552-9D85-43257850C461 (resized).jpeg
#1 10 years ago

When I get the Cairo swordsman on my game he pops out and then pops back in and keeps repeating this. Should he stay out until I hit the Cairo shot? I thought there was something wrong with the motor but now I am not so sure and don't want to start messing with stuff until I know for sure. Thanks, Mike

#2 10 years ago

Mine does this inconsistently, like when a mode is also starting. I think its a software issue.

#3 10 years ago

To be clear if Cairo swordsman is running by itself this shouldn't happen.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Mine does this inconsistently, like when a mode is also starting. I think its a software issue.

Mine does this as well

3 months later
#6 10 years ago

The fix was that opto 64 was no good. Replaced the opto board and it works like it is supposed to. Pretty sad it was screwed up out of the box but I did not realize it did not work properly until recently. Hope this helps if anyone else has this problem. Thanks, Mike

2 weeks later
#7 10 years ago

Thank you jorge5240 !!
where's this opto 64 ? It's the Cairo's board ?
Thank you!!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from fabiofpc:

Thank you jorge5240 !!
where's this opto 64 ? It's the Cairo's board ?
Thank you!!

The board is under the play field by the magnet. It is called an opto interuptor. I bought the part at Marcos. $15 bucks for the part. Search with this part number.
520-5251-00

Good luck! Thanks, Mike

#9 10 years ago

Huh just noticed mine does this too,

anyway to test it through the diagnostics?

#10 10 years ago

What software version r u on? Mine stopped doing that when I changed code to 2.1

#11 10 years ago

2.1 for me

#12 10 years ago

Game is a vacation home but I think I was on version 1.16.

To test go into game specific tests. When performing Cairo swordsman test. First hit he should pop out and stay out. Mine would recoil back in on his own. After fixing he will come out by pushing the button in test and then go in by pushing it again. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike

#13 10 years ago

Thank you guys !!
I will order next time !!

#14 10 years ago

yep when I had mine it started to do that as well. The opto was the issue...changed it or readjusted it cant remember.

Game is really mediocor but I do miss mine, to look at and watch all my non pinhead friends play it.....

#15 10 years ago

Yup took the opto off, gave it a wipe and shes all good now, Works fine,

Something else I noticed and not to thread hi-jack,

My Temple of Doom scoop, when you hit the newton ball in order for it to activate I've noticed that if you quickly hit it again before its got all the way open it stops in that position, and its either too high to hit again for it to register another hit, Or too low for a ball to enter the scoop,
So it stats semi open until I start either the Ark multiball or another movie scene,

Is this normal?

#16 10 years ago

no check and make sure the whole mechanism is tight

#17 10 years ago

What does 2.1 compared to 1.6? I can't find the read me files anymore on the stern site.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

no check and make sure the whole mechanism is tight

Its a little sloppy, I can wiggle it from side to side, Its not the bolts that hold it to the playfield either thats loose, I checked that,

It seems there is a bolt going horizontally through it and thats where the motion comes from, Its not terrible, but there is a little wiggle,

And this does something to the up and down mechanism?

#19 10 years ago

will check mine. thanks

#20 10 years ago

Mine got stuck in the mid position when I had it and was sporatic in its up and down motion during play when it was hit mid stroke. This was years ago but I do remember going underneath and re-aligning or just tightening up the mechanism under ther and everything was fine after that. Connection to motor? Mechinism connection to underneath of PF is what I think it was.....

Also I was lucky enough to find cliffies and install them....it is a must have as those two holes next to each other get banged up.

5 years later
#21 4 years ago

Just a FYI for anyone ...

I am working on an IJ4 I recently picked up.

The Swordsman was acting weird, then stopped working completely. After scratching my head, testing all the relevant things I updated the code to 2.1 (it was on 1.6) ...all working perfectly now.

I love a simple fix

1 year later
#22 3 years ago

I am having an issue with my swordsman...

Every once in a while the motor advances and forgets it advanced... when activated it hits the flasher lamp/stone pop bumper over and over.

I can take off swordsman, turn on and motor resets to correct position and reattach...

Happens Once every 100 games or so.

Hmmmmm any idea’s?

#23 3 years ago
13A6AFD1-1EB5-4552-9D85-43257850C461 (resized).jpeg13A6AFD1-1EB5-4552-9D85-43257850C461 (resized).jpeg
#24 3 years ago

Here is a pic of him in the wrong start position.

B1DB0B48-3743-475A-B455-893F706DCFB6 (resized).jpegB1DB0B48-3743-475A-B455-893F706DCFB6 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

Here is a pic of him in the wrong start position.
[quoted image]

Spend most of today trying to work out same problem
I just ordered a new opto board
Its doing same issue like yours
I reset position - swordsman was opening forward fine but closing half way
Then after i thought would be ok it did same like yours - hitting the lamp , moving back forth during gameplay
Checked motor switch all good - mechanisms, spring, shaft etc - gotta be the opto

Ill let you know this week

4 months later
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from MrTilt:

Spend most of today trying to work out same problem
I just ordered a new opto board
Its doing same issue like yours
I reset position - swordsman was opening forward fine but closing half way
Then after i thought would be ok it did same like yours - hitting the lamp , moving back forth during gameplay
Checked motor switch all good - mechanisms, spring, shaft etc - gotta be the opto
Ill let you know this week

I think its in the shaft where the lithium grease is on the gear, it gets hung up there. I am in the process of rebuilding and going to clean it and switch it to super lube silicone grease

2 years later
#27 7 months ago

In SWM skillshot it opens SWM but immediately brings it back...

Changed the opto itself... same result
Using v2.1
Q1 Tip is OK.

Anything else i can do or just swap the 520-5251-00 opto interrupter board ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ij4-cairo-swordsman-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.