rails_002.jpg
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2929.JPG
IMG_2927.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So I went to Pinball Life in Huntley IL two days ago to get some parts for my new (and first) RCT, and it was an awesome experience! Terry was a cool guy, and after I got my order, he let me spend the better part of an hour playing on his machines. Super fun! Totally satisfied with the parts I got from them, but one thing has posed a problem:

I picked up some button guard side rails. I took the old side rails off, which was nice and easy. Then I went to put the new ones on, but I noticed that both of the new rails were perfectly straight until they got to the point where the button guard starts, then the top rail bends downward slightly. Again this is on both of them. This means that at the backbox side, they line up perfectly with the screw holes, but at the coin door side, they sit up too high. Check out the pictures, although it is very hard to photograph.

My question is, I suppose I could try to stand on the edge and gently bend the rail a bit so that it didn't dip downward like this, but should I try taking them back to Pinball Life and exchanging them instead? Or can anyone tell me if all of these side rails have this downward bend in them by the button guard? It seems odd that it would be there, but even more odd the it would be there on BOTH of them. Let me know what you think if you have any input!!!

IMG_2927.JPGIMG_2927.JPG IMG_2929.JPGIMG_2929.JPG IMG_2934.JPGIMG_2934.JPG IMG_2935.JPGIMG_2935.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Assuming the rail is 100% flat all the way (e.g. not hung up on the hinge/backboxarea/plastic playfield glass trim etc...

You might have to drill the holes a bit bitter for the bolt (I am also assuming the flipper button is reasonably centered, it is hard to tell 100% in the pic but it looks ok, easiest way to test is to slide in a flipper button).

I installed these rails onto my IM and LotR, and I can't remember how many holes I had to make larger. It was not 100% of them, but it was more than one.

Just to be clear, I did not enlarge the holes by drilling them with a larger bit, I took whatever bit size fit in the hole and carefully rubbed it up and down in the direction I needed to widen the hole to. Yes, if you bork this up you can splinter your cabinet. I did not have a problem. I just took my time, your mileage may vary. I also made sure to cover up the service outlet to avoid getting dust and possiblly wire bits if I accidenlly caught the nearby ground braid.

I hope this helps!

#3 11 years ago

I'd take them back.

If you try to bend them you might muck up the finish.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

Oh boy...I don't want to drill any holes or enlarge any holes in my cabinet. I guess I'll have to give Terry a call tomorrow and see if I can exchange them for better ones, or return them if they all have this problem. I hope they don't! I wanted to avoid having white wear spots appear over time, and I thought they looked slick too.

#5 11 years ago

I just did this on my Tron, holes were slightly off, just ream it out with a drill bit, gotta do it my friend! You could try a circular file also.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, but that won't cut it unfortunately. Even if I drilled out the screw hole, the button hole is not centered well enough for the flipper button to sit inside the rail hole. It is on the left side, but not on the right (one in picture). If I were to do anything, it would be to bend them a little because as you can see in the first two pictures, the problem is clearly caused by the rail being bent.

It is only bent from the flap area down, and it is bent on both rails. If they weren't bent, they would line up perfectly, so they question is, is the bend a defect? Or is the bend there on ALL of these side rails?

There is clearly a bend. Look at the first two pictures.

#7 11 years ago

Sorry, to Keep it simple, if the rail is bent, just return them. You still might end up having to ream the holes. My rails were straight and I had do to it, so did Centerflank.

I doubt we are alone, but if the flipper button does not fit, there is no question... return them and try again.

#8 11 years ago

If the flipper buttons still sit within the hole without being tilted by the metal you are good to go.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks guys. The right flipper button definitely doesn't sit flush. I can't get it completely in the hole. I guess I'll have to call Terry tomorrow and see if I can bring them back in and trade for a better set. I should be able to look at them when I go there and see if they all seem to have this problem.

#10 11 years ago

I think thats just the way they are. I had a set of the button guard rails I had removed from POTC laying around from when I brassed it out. I put them on my LOTR and I had to push them down to get them to fit around the flipper buttons. Maybe the flipper buttons are located higher up the cabinet...I dunno. Or maybe Stern bent them down at the factory to get them to fit around the buttons.

#11 11 years ago

No risk, no reward! I just put on a heavy soled shoe, stepped on the inside of the top rail, and gently bent the flap back. Took a few times working it, but I got it on perfectly. So...the verdict is that yes, they come bent, but yes you can also bend them back and get them on there perfectly without having to drill anything out.

The other side was more severely bent and is giving quite a workout, but it's getting closer with every attempt. Here's a pic to show the difference.

For anyone looking to solve this problem in the future, I will elaborate once I get this second one done.

IMG_2942.JPGIMG_2942.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Thats the spirit!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Sorry, to Keep it simple, if the rail is bent, just return them. You still might end up having to ream the holes. My rails were straight and I had do to it, so did Centerflank.
I doubt we are alone, but if the flipper button does not fit, there is no question... return them and try again.

Add me to the list. It took some finagling, but the rails eventually "fit" on my X-Men. Two Aerospace Engineers with PhD's did the work for me while I supervised; true story!

-Mark

#14 11 years ago

She was a fighter! She almost had me, I must admit! In the end though, the secret is to just be patient and keep working it slowly.

For the sake of posterity for those who might search for this solution at a later date:

Wear a shoe with as solid a sole as you can find. Step on the rail with all of your weight on the outside of your foot (on carpet) and slowly work the flap side away from you. Just keep working it and then test fitting to see what progress you are making. You also want to grip the flap as low as possible so that you don't just bend the flap, you want to actually bend the rail, not the flap. Go slowly and deliberately.

I suppose you could try using clamps to clamp it to a work bench (flap sticking straight up) and then bend it that way, but if you did try that, you'd want to pad it with cloth so as not to scratch it. It did not try such a thing because I live in a little condo and have no real work area apart from my living room. So, for me it was the ghetto (but effective) "step on it and bend it away from you" method.

Here's the other side done. This one was bent a lot and it took a lot of working and working, but now it's on there just fine and I didn't have to do any altering of holes or drilling of anything.

IMG_2943.JPGIMG_2943.JPG

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from marcos:

Add me to the list. It took some finagling, but the rails eventually "fit" on my X-Men. Two Aerospace Engineers with PhD's did the work for me while I supervised; true story!
-Mark

Haha! How many Aerospace Engineers does it take to change a set of Side Rails? Two if you provide the beer!!!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Haha! How many Aerospace Engineers does it take to change a set of Side Rails? Two if you provide the beer!!!

The three of us were in fact in a bar...prepping the NIB machine for use on route.

And yes, there was beer.

Said machine currently is at Hooters.

-Mark

#17 11 years ago

Ha! That's awesome! Beer makes everything better. Especially pinball. Well...I'm no Aerospace Engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

4 months later
#18 10 years ago

I am on my second set of rails. Last one was the simpsons rails. Such horrible quality and nothing line up. Anyone know where I can get the official Stern rails that they put on the new machines. All these other rails are remakes and always have crappy powder coating, wrong hole locations and bent.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I am on my second set of rails. Last one was The Simpsons rails. Such horrible quality and nothing line up. Anyone know where I can get the official Stern rails that they put on the new machines. All these other rails are remakes and always have crappy powder coating, wrong hole locations and bent.

I must be lucky. I put a set on my TSPP and Metallica with no problems.

#20 10 years ago

I too have had issues with PBL rails not matching up on two machines.

After some shenanigans I got em to fit though.

PBL is still great to deal with, shit happens.

#21 10 years ago

He must make his own rails because the factory ones should have 3 screw holes in them around the button.

#22 10 years ago

Those are different rails than the ones I have installed, the button hole is smaller and there are 3 holes for the screws.

rails_002.jpgrails_002.jpg

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Those are different rails than the ones I have installed, the button hole is smaller and there are 3 holes for the screws.

Can you link me/us to them? Is the Powder coating thick and rough?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Can you link me/us to them? Is the Powder coating thick and rough?

Yes it is, I ordered these from Terry 11 months ago.

#25 10 years ago

Thick and rough is bad. All the rails from PBL are horrible. I can tell how fingers are breaking down the crappy powder coating.

7 months later
#26 10 years ago

I had a similar experience putting the PBL flipper guard side rails on my LOTR. Mine were not as bad as those of the OP, but they were a little off. I just used a Dremel to widen the bolt hole in the cabinet that was closest to the flippers on each side, and it worked fine. I agree that the quality of the powercoat is not the best, but it's better than not having the flipper guards on there and getting a lot of wear around the buttons. I could just barely see wear starting and decided it was time to put the flipper guard rails on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 7.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-button-guard-side-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.