Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by MES
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

While polishing up what I think is the last of my plastics I started wondering to myself am I going about this restore in a efficient manner? (I doubt it, it is my 1st time). Hence the title. I'm going to need some help with this, lets see how I do.

***If you have any trouble using or understanding this guide please go to your best available information resource, the Pinside.com. As all ways feel free to ask any questions, we will help you.***

Restore/Shop Guide_Part 1_Play Field

1. Join Pinside.com
    2. Make the decision on what to buy.
    3. Buy it.
    4. Get it home.
    5. Download a owners manual if you don't have one.
    6. Play it to determine what may be wrong.
    7. Get your tools together.
    8. Open the coin door and remove the locking bar.
    9. Carefully slide the glass out, place in a safe location.
    10. Dismantle the play field removing all parts (balls included), making notes and taking pictures for reassembly ease.
    11. Inspect all the parts making notes on their condition.
    12. Clean the play field to find area's that may need repair/touch ups.
    13. Make any necessary repairs/touch ups.
    13_A)-Remove and replace necessary rubbers and rubber post sleeves(use Cliffys colored post sleeves,they kick ass)
    13_B)-Take apart as many coils as you can and replace the plastic coil sleeves,and clean and wipe down the coil "rod" with alcohol-reassemble dry.
    13_C)-Ck. and tighten anything you can get a nut driver or screwdriver on,(always loose stuff under play field)
    13_D)-Vacuum out the inside of the cabinet
    13_E)-Check and seat electrical connections
    14. Wax the play field.
    15. Reassemble the play field with the cleaned/repaired and new parts (rubbers, plastics and bulbs).
    16. Put the cleaned glass back in.
    17. Re-install the locking bar.
    18. Re-test your pinball machine take notes if something is wrong.
    19. Have fun playing your shopped pinball machine!
    20. Log into Pinside and tell us about it.
    21. Look for another pin so your 1st pin wont get lonely.
    22. Repeat all steps again and again until you run out of room.

Restore/Shop Guide_Part 2_Back Box

1. Unlock the translite/back glass.
    2. Carefully remove the translite/back glass and set a side in a safe place.
    3. Swing light board open (if equipped).
    4. With good lighting inspect all the PCB (Printed Circuit Board), wires, wire plugs, fuses and all the electronic components for burnt/discolored/melted/broken and or cracked parts.
    4_A. ***DO NOT TAKE PICTURES OF THE CIRCUIT BOARD THE CAMERA FLASH CAN DAMAGE THE EPROM CHIPS!***
    5. Check the batteries for leakage.
    5_A. If battery leakage is found the circuit board must be removed for repair.
    5_B. Please search Pinside.com for instructions on the removal and repair procedure or where to send for repair. Also a remote battery box should be installed to avoid any further damage to the circuit board.
    6. Reinstall all the back box parts and close light board, reinstall the translite/back glass and turn on the machine and test.

Well what do you think?

Post edited by jrrdw : Typos adding steps.

#2 12 years ago

21,look for another pin so your 1st pin wont get lonely.
    22,repeat all steps again and again until you run out of room.

#3 12 years ago

You pretty much covered it all.Should be in sticky Thread.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

You pretty much covered it all.Should be in sticky Thread.

Agreed!

Quoted from mrgone:

21,look for another pin so your 1st pin wont get lonely.
    22,repeat all steps again and again until you run out of room.

definitely must add!

#5 12 years ago

Make sure to take balls out, before putting playfield up. Also make sure to put them back in after...I'm sure ALOT of you have forgot to do that at least once

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-junky:

definitely must add!

Added!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Make sure to take balls out, before putting playfield up

Covered in step 10.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

Also make sure to put them back in after

Covered in step 15.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Make sure to take balls out, before putting playfield up. Also make sure to put them back in after...I'm sure ALOT of you have forgot to do that at least once

that is a good one too! We learned that the hard way. It didn't even cross our minds the first time until we heard them.

#9 12 years ago

Not really covered IMO, it's a very big rookie mistake, and if you pop the playfield up and don't take them out, you could easily smash plastics

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

it's a very big rookie mistake

Don't want any of those to happen so it's noted.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

22. Repeat all steps again and again until you run out of room.

23. Then buy bigger house
    24. Repeat steps 21-24

#12 12 years ago

I'm currently working on #23...hahh..good call...

#13 12 years ago

Of course with # 15--A)-Remove and replace necessary rubbers and rubber post sleeves(use Cliffys colored post sleeves,they kick ass)
    B)-Take apart as many coils as you can and replace the plastic coil sleeves,and clean and wipe down the coil "rod" with alcohol-reassemble dry.
    C)-Ck. and tighten anything you can get a nut driver or screwdriver on,(always loose stuff under playfield)
    D)-Vacuum out the inside of the cabinet
    E)-Ck. and seat electrical connections

#14 12 years ago

Currently working on step #2....

#15 12 years ago

kwiKimart,I'm sorry to jump ahead to #15,will wait for you to catch up )

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

A)-Remove and replace necessary rubbers and rubber post sleeves(use Cliffys colored post sleeves,they kick ass)
    B)-Take apart as many coils as you can and replace the plastic coil sleeves,and clean and wipe down the coil "rod" with alcohol-reassemble dry.
    C)-Ck. and tighten anything you can get a nut driver or screwdriver on,(always loose stuff under playfield)
    D)-Vacuum out the inside of the cabinet
    E)-Ck. and seat electrical connections

Up dated, I got the above quoted under step 13. Makes better sense to clean/repair all the parts at once. Then when the play field is ready for re-assembly all the parts are ready as well...

Right? Wrong?

I've added part 2 back box, got to step 5 and lost my wording (writers block?).

#17 12 years ago

check fuses
    check electrical cord for wear and a grounding pin

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

check fuses
    check electrical cord for wear and a grounding pin

Added to step 4.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-junky:

It didn't even cross our minds the first time until we heard them.

That is a terrible sound, I am always expecting broken parts.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I am always expecting broken parts.

It was a terrible sound. If you could have seen our faces once we realized what that "sound" was We got real lucky though, nothing was damaged. Another lesson learned the hard way! We won't make that mistake again thats for sure.

This post definitely needs to be a sticky - some great advice for rookies

#21 12 years ago

Order parts online. Wait for it. Bug the postman for your package. Open it like it xmas.

#22 12 years ago

If you haven't seen it I put a clean version here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beginner-step-by-step-guide-to-restoreshop-your-pinball-machine-parts-1-2

If you have futher info to add put it here please and I'll update the clean version from this thread.

#23 12 years ago

I would add, file down mushroomed plungers or replace them. I have had games that worked, but not really well. When I looked at the plungers and stops in certain coils they were well past their prime. Stops, coil sleeves and plungers play a big part in a game working well. Worn plunger links can also make a game feel dead.

Also make sure that there is some vertical play in those flipper bats. I chased down all kinds of stuff trying to make my flippers work better. Loosen them up and give them some room to move and they worked great.

Great start to a guide!

I really need to vacuum out my games after reading this. Tons of crap in there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/step-by-step-guides-for-newbies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.