(Topic ID: 87838)

star trip cocktale pinball machine left flipper weak

By Shenanigander

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

the left flipper is definitely weaker than the right and weak in general.

but the right flipper coil is a newer williams fl28400. the original on the left is 2150002b. i attached a video of the 2 flippers in action from the underside.

if i change the left coil to match the right side will that solve the problem?

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

if i change the left coil to match the right side will that solve the problem?

It could be the plunger is mushroomed, or the sleeve is worn, or the EOS Switch is maladjusted, or.......Too many variables to take a stab at.

If the game were mine, I'd rebuild both flippers with the same coils, new stops, plungers, EOS and sleeves.

While waiting for parts, I'd clean the EOS switches and set their gaps properly.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#3 10 years ago

ok super thanks for the advice. i actually did clean the eos and that did not help.

i am thinking rebuild for sure. just tricky finding parts for these game plan flippers.

i know steve young has the coil. just have to work on the other parts

#4 10 years ago

If you jumper across the EOS switch, does the flipper fire full power?

#5 10 years ago

enough vertical clearance-slack in the flipper shaft? binding there or plunger sleeve are possibles.

#6 10 years ago

All GP flipper mechs are the same. Some info on replacing here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-sharp-shooter-flipper-assy

One thing about GP coils is they use the same coil stop everywhere - flippers, slings, pops, etc.if someone is parting a game you can usually get a few good coil stops out of it.

And the right flipper may very well be more powerful because its a more powerful coil.

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago

GP used 24v flipper coils. Now that I'm not on my tablet, I can see that your Williams flipper coil is a 24v 21/375, 28/400. The specs for the stock GP cocktail flipper coil are 25/400, 27/1000 so the Williams coil you have installed is MUCH stronger than the GP coil which is part of the reason why the GP coil seems weak. In fact, the Williams coil is really too strong for the cocktail as it's designed for an upright. The stock GP flipper coil for upright machines is 22/375, 30/800 which is a much closer match to the Williams coil.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago

ok thanks all. lots for me to go on here. i agree that the right Williams coil seems TOO powerful for this machine and may be the reason the right flipper bat had a piece of plastic break off recently. so i need a new bat now too. i think ill get 2 new GP coils from steve young and see what other parts i can find to rebuild.

#9 10 years ago

what about trading out coil stops from another coil on the machine that does not get as much abuse. like maybe the ball kicker? would you advise to do that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trip-cocktale-pinball-machine-left-flipper-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.