View topic image gallery

image-827.jpg
image-761.jpg
image.jpg
photo 3(3).JPG
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 1(2).JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey all this is not one of those panic posts I know machines are meant to be played and that there will be some wear. That said, I notice after about three weeks the pinballs in the machine looked very torn up for the amount of play put in on them. I noticed some small scratching on the playfield which was my reason for checking the pinballs. There appeared to be some obvious reasons for why this was happening.

One was the shoot button has the metal kicker shoot the ball way more often than on other pins. So I put 2 small felt tape strips over the spots that the kicker contacts the pinballs. This did not affect how hard the ball was shot out at all so that is good. The second was where the ball kicks out on the field from the shooter lane there was a vertical metal strip that is usually much closer to the metal that is flat on the shooter lane (at the end of it). Resulting in the ball getting chewed up much more in that spot with little dents and chips off of it. So I put a felt tape strip across it hanging over just a bit so when the ball goes over it the tape will prevent metal on metal contact. Changed the pinballs out and I think the extra abuse on the pinballs should be reduced significantly. Just thought I would share that with other owners in case they noticed the same thing.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Hey all this is not one of those panic posts I know machines are meant to be played and that there will be some wear. That said, I notice after about three weeks the pinballs in the machine looked very torn up for the amount of play put in on them. I noticed some small scratching on the playfield which was my reason for checking the pinballs. There appeared to be some obvious reasons for why this was happening.
One was the shoot button has the metal kicker shoot the ball way more often than on other pins. So I put 2 small felt tape strips over the spots that the kicker contacts the pinballs. This did not affect how hard the ball shot out at all so that is good. The second was where the ball kicks out on the field from the shooter lane there was a vertical metal strip that is usually much closer to the metal that sits flat on the shooter lane. Resulting in the ball getting chewed up much more in that spot with little dents and chips off of it. So I put a felt tape strip across it hanging over just a bit so when the ball goes over it the tape will prevent metal on metal contact. Changed the pinballs out and I think the extra abuse on the pinballs should be reduced significantly. Just thought I would share that with other owners in case they noticed the same thing.

Good heads up…thanks bro.

#3 10 years ago

Good advice.

I've always wondered about the autolauncher scratching balls. Is ACDC bad for scratched pinballs? It has the frequently used fire button as well - not nearly as much as ST with the Away Team shot but still more than most.

#4 10 years ago

You used the balls that came with the game? That also would be part of the issue..

Stern is well known for sending shit quality balls with NIB games...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You used the balls that came with the game? That also would be part of the issue..
Stern is well known for sending shit quality balls with NIB games...

No they were not I never use those and that is not the issue here. There is definitely much more places of metal on metal contact from the shooter lane than on my other NIB pins due to reasons explained above.

#6 10 years ago

I noticed this yesterday when I was cleaning mine. I will try those fixes you suggest.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I noticed this yesterday when I was cleaning mine. I will try those fixes you suggest.

I thought others may notice this as well. Just let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

#8 10 years ago

Nice post and tip. Thanks

#9 10 years ago

Great suggestions. I just changed the balls out last weekend and will take a look at the shooter lane.

#10 10 years ago

So which balls are best to use with games with magnets in them?

#11 10 years ago

can you post a photo of the fix please, thanks!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

So which balls are best to use with games with magnets in them?

I use PinballLife ultra-gloss balls and am very happy with them.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

can you post a photo of the fix please, thanks!

When I get home from my Holiday trip next week I will.

#14 10 years ago

Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two of the felt repair?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two of the felt repair?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I use PinballLife ultra-gloss balls and am very happy with them.

So I guess it is safe to use with magnets then?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

So I guess it is safe to use with magnets then?

You don't want to use any Chromium Steel pinballs in a machine with magnets due to their propensity to become magnetized. For machines with magnets you want to go with conventional Carbon Steel pinballs.

The Premium Ultra-Gloss at Pinball Life are Carbon Core so they are fine to use with machines that have magnets.

#18 10 years ago

Pics would be helpful if you get chance

#19 10 years ago

One was the shoot button has the metal kicker shoot the ball way more often than on other pins. So I put 2 small felt tape strips over the spots that the kicker contacts the pinballs. This did not affect how hard the ball was shot out at all so that is good. The second was where the ball kicks out on the field from the shooter lane there was a vertical metal strip that is usually much closer to the metal that is flat on the shooter lane (at the end of it). Resulting in the ball getting chewed up much more in that spot with little dents and chips off of it. So I put a felt tape strip across it hanging over just a bit so when the ball goes over it the tape will prevent metal on metal contact. Changed the pinballs out and I think the extra abuse on the pinballs should be reduced significantly. Just thought I would share that with other owners in case they noticed the same thing.

Very good suggestions. I just had some more time with The Dude`s pinball refinery ST Pro. What a machine, so fast, so fun she is beautiful!!

#20 10 years ago

Wonder if heat shrink could be another option. Or how it would last compared to felt strips. I've got one on order and want to do something to save pf wear. Can't recall the shooter mechanism. Heat shrink might not be an option.

#21 10 years ago

Thank you! It is much appreciated!

I hope you are having a very nice holiday trip!

4 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

I thought this was a good idea, so I did the same thing. I haven't played it yet with the felt, so I'm waiting to see how it works. I'm not exactly sure how The Dude did it, but for the metal shooter I cut some felt strips from a sheet I got from Joann Fabrics. It had an adhesive backing, so just peel and apply.

Also, I cut out some v-shaped mylar and put it on both of the inlanes where the ball drops. And per Centerflank, I put v-shaped mylar on the shooter lane . . . I'll put Cliffy's as well, but am waiting on those.

photo 1(2).JPGphoto 1(2).JPG photo 2(3).JPGphoto 2(3).JPG photo 3(3).JPGphoto 3(3).JPG
#23 10 years ago

The dude did more then that to bullet proof his balls from being torn up. I think he is posting pics and instructions today or tomorrow on how he did it. I bought $20 silver jets to go in my Star Trek and they were chewed up in a week. It was for the good though as fellow pinsiders warned me not to use silver jets in games with magnets. I didn't know that.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

I thought this was a good idea, so I did the same thing. I haven't played it yet with the felt, so I'm waiting to see how it works. I'm not exactly sure how The Dude did it, but for the metal shooter I cut some felt strips from a sheet I got from Joann Fabrics. It had an adhesive backing, so just peel and apply.
Also, I cut out some v-shaped mylar and put it on both of the inlanes where the ball drops. And per Centerflank, I put v-shaped mylar on the shooter lane . . . I'll put Cliffy's as well, but am waiting on those.

Is it me or does it look like your shooter lane has a chunk of wood missing? First picture.

#25 10 years ago

One was the shoot button has the metal kicker shoot the ball way more often than on other pins. So I put 2 small felt tape strips over the spots that the kicker contacts the pinballs. This did not affect how hard the ball was shot out at all so that is good. The second was where the ball kicks out on the field from the shooter lane there was a vertical metal strip that is usually much closer to the metal that is flat on the shooter lane (at the end of it).

Great tip! It looks this is (yet another) point of improvement...

It seems to me the metal kicker is made of stainless steel. In a way this is good (more durable than the normal steel kickers) However, the edges are raw cut steel, which makes them very sharp (just feel with your fingers) So, the first thing I did was sand the edges. It makes a world of difference.
I then tried to put plastic caps on them (like the ones used on chairs) but this slows the ball launch too much. So I'll think about a better solution. I'm afraid those felt tips are not going to stay in place very long.

The edges where the ball enters the playfield are also very sharp. It would also be a good idea to sand the edges, but this would require quite some disassembly. So, for now, I put a piece of mylar over it.

#26 10 years ago

Great tip - just added the felt before replacing the balls for a third time since unboxing.

#27 10 years ago

Seems like metal on metal design problems have been common as of late. JJP and WOZ bumpers, Stern and their shooter mechs, manufacturers need to pay more attention to these things.

#28 10 years ago

Sorry for the delay very basic where I put the felt tape pictures below. My machine did not have the screw in the pop bumper area (thankfully) and the felt tape did help keep the pinballs from getting chewed up so quick. Felt tape has stayed in place just fine and shows no signs of coming off of kicker.
image-761.jpgimage-761.jpgimage-827.jpgimage-827.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#29 10 years ago

Sorry for the delay very basic where I put the felt tape pictures below. My machine did not have the screw in the pop bumper area (thankfully) and the felt tape did help keep the pinballs from getting chewed up so quick. Felt tape has stayed in place just fine and shows no signs of coming off of kicker.

image.jpg 266 KB

image-761.jpg 416 KB

image-827.jpg 398 KB

How did you fit the felt tape between the two metal pieces in pic 1 & 2? Does it just slide in there?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

How did you fit the felt tape between the two metal pieces in pic 1 & 2? Does it just slide in there?

Yes slides right in on mine no problem.

#31 10 years ago

Nice job Dude, felt tape idea looks good, I've used the clear self adhesive laminating strips with good success, might try these too....

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from PinsRfun:

Is it me or does it look like your shooter lane has a chunk of wood missing? First picture.

A little of both . . . it's not as bad as the picture makes it look, but needs to be sanded a little as it's not entirely smooth as the other side.

#33 10 years ago

Hey guys, can you expand on this please:

"My machine did not have the screw in the pop bumper area"

Thank you.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from theke:

Hey guys, can you expand on this please:
"My machine did not have the screw in the pop bumper area"
Thank you.

Stern added a screw between the bumper and rubber on the bottom bumper. See the following thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-getting-stuck-on-st

#35 10 years ago

Sorry for being dim. I understand the felt on the kicker, but why is it needed going up between the right ramp? It looks like you cut it about 1/4 wider than the metal and then let 1/8 stick out top and bottom? Is that right?

Also - if someone doesn't mind I'd love to see pictures of where you guys are putting Mylar. I wish we could get these posts for STLE playfield protection under one roof. Thanks!

#36 10 years ago

Simple question: how many pinballs are in a Star Trek? If I order one, I also want to order replacement pinballs.

#37 10 years ago

#38 10 years ago

Thanks.

#39 10 years ago

I just glued a thin strip of leather to the automatic kicker and that fixed that problem. I did notice that the quality between the materials used in the kicker on my Luci and STLE are very different, the STLE seeming to be built with cost savings in mind?? I have STLE #701 and the screw in the play field is there but doesn't seem to be an issue for now. Also, the metal strip down the shooter lane is staged higher than the next step of the curve from the ramp so no issues there either. So far so good, we have played the game quite a bit and the play field is looking like any other play field with normal use-no abnormal dimpling. Sorry for the choppy typing, I'm typing this on my phone while traveling. Happy New Year!

2 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pinballs-getting-torn-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.