(Topic ID: 14952)

SST Teardown - It Has Begun... (COMPLETE!)

By fattrain

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Firebaall
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG
SST4.JPG
SST3.JPG
SST2.JPG
SST1.JPG
#1 12 years ago

So I ripped into my Starship Troopers to begin tearing it down for a full shop job, re-rubber, cliffy's, and LED kit (Yes, I know I just dumped half of the machines value in time/parts but I LOVE it so far)....

The main reason for the tear down was that it was clear it NEVER has had a shop job since the factory. EVERY single GI bulb in the upper half way burnt out because they ALL have to be accessed topside because it is all braided/stapled wires underneath.

I can see why people say this thing is a beast to teardown. 16 Flashers and 5 switches all on the ramp that is ONE PIECE! (Yes, I said it, ONE piece for both ramps, see below).

Lots of zip ties to cut underneath the playfield so you can pull off the big one piece ramp with everything this is rivited to it.

Anyways, Enjoy a few good pics and I hope to have this beast finished up tonight when I get home from work. 5 hours in so far (but I'm taking my time, drinking beers, and doing it RIGHT!)

SST1.JPGSST1.JPG SST2.JPGSST2.JPG SST3.JPGSST3.JPG SST4.JPGSST4.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I'll be doing mine soon as well I got from a friend. It is clean, but I always re-rubber, and still like to fully strip, clean and replace anything hidden that is broken.

I bought a full plastic set for this from MAD, as there were about 3-4 broken, and no singles out there. If you need any, let me know, and I may be able to hook you up.

Good luck. SST is an awesome machine, great mix in the mostly mode play 90s+.

#3 12 years ago

It's a dirty job but SOMEBODY'S gotta do it! Leds really make this game pop and add to the sci-fi effect. I need to replace the superbrights I have on both sides of "Live Fire Test Range" target for multiball. I think Pinballer22 got his retinas fused when they started flashing. I might go back to the originals there. I'm ready to go back to a mode based game though and I'm sure I will regret selling mine when I finally do. It's fast as hell.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

no singles out there. If you need any, let me know, and I may be able to hook you up.

Thanks for the offer... I only have one broken plastic but it is the REALLY small one underneath the right side of the left ramp so it's no biggie (won't even be seen once assembled)

Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I need to replace the superbrights I have on both sides of "Live Fire Test Range" target for multiball. I think Pinballer22 got his retinas fused when they started flashing

Tell me about it! That is BLINDING even as it was with the stock flasher.... To be honest I will purposely go for that blinding effect because it is a Live Fire Test Drill.... MADNESS!!!

#5 12 years ago

nice! I'm looking forward to mine coming early next week I hope! Let me know how the LED replacement goes as I was thinking of doing that and the cliffy protectors with the stereo sound mod.

#6 12 years ago

Are you putting in a speaker on the right side of the backbox?

#7 12 years ago

ALL DONE!! Looks amazing!! Here are a few pics (but they don't do it justice)!

I will post a video that will probably look decent in a minute as well.

IMG_3151.JPGIMG_3151.JPG IMG_3152.JPGIMG_3152.JPG

#8 12 years ago

*CHANGE TO 1080p*

#9 12 years ago

That's a good looking game!

#10 12 years ago

Really looks great! Another unique pin.

#11 12 years ago

Thanks guys! I am very pleasantly surprised at the level of fun I got/get out of this game especially now that the colors on it really POP!

+1 to cointaker No Ghost Premium's.... I slapped in a couple regular LED's to see the difference in the ghosting and it's night vs day!

8 months later
#12 11 years ago

I'm bumping up Justin's old thread because I'm about to tear everything down on my SST as well. I've talked to Justin on the phone already but does anyone else have any pictures or other advice? This will be my first dismantling of a pin. I'm scared.

#13 11 years ago

This is a way cool game. Here's a link to my blog where I talked about the process of shopping my SST. Enjoy!
http://www.duaneconnell.com/blog/?p=424

#14 11 years ago

someone had NOS SST plastics on ebay but imo for what they are, the asking price of $150 was outrageous.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

This is a way cool game. Here's a link to my blog where I talked about the process of shopping my SST. Enjoy!
http://www.duaneconnell.com/blog/?p=424

Thank you!

5 months later
#16 10 years ago

Bookmarked. It will be nice to know what I'm in for, when it's my turn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sst-teardown-it-has-begun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.