Spring is here! Pinside 2.5 released.

Started 2 years ago by robin in forum PinsideWebsite.


Forum » Pinside » Website » Topic

Spring is here! Pinside 2.5 released.


Topic summary

  • Started 2 years ago by robin
  • 79 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Crashdance22

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs





Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!



    48
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Hello everyone!

    Spring is in the air and today the Pinside launches to "version 2.5", with a bunch of new features and UI improvements:

    - Much requested, our PinsideMail system has been redesigned pretty much from the ground up. Messages are now displayed as threads and you can archive or delete threads (also in batch, hey, this is 2012, right? )
    - The forum search now uses Google for our searching needs. I admit it, Google is much better at search than any database query I could ever write.
    - The top bar shows some cool Pinball photos to emphasis this is a pinball site!
    - You probably already noticed on the forum home page: Pinside now keeps track of the threads you visit and when you last visited them, allowing us to show you when threads are updated with shiny badges .
    - We now use our own mail server for sending out e-mails.
    - In the forum, thread view, I have added shortcuts to each Pinsider's backbox (info, pm, posts) - simply hover your mouse over someone's backbox and see.
    - New events section allowing everyone to post events on the site!
    - Shopout photos category added. You can now upload your shopout photos to the site, via the same mechanism you already know: the upload tab on a machine's archive page. This also lead me to re-design the images section (some games had so many photos that page loads would take forever)
    - Loads o' small improvements and bug fixes.
    - Anti-spam measures for the forum - all links in posts from "new" members now get a ref=nofollow. If you don't know what this means than this won't change a thing for you but hopefully the site will attract less spammers!

    Everything has been tested pretty well, but as always, bugs are probably present! And hopefully more easily found by the bunch of you instead of the few beta testers that helped me (thanks for your help).

    One more thing... Today also launches the BETA of Pinside Post Ratings. See that little popbumper icon at the top right of this post? Move your mouse over it and you'll get the idea: a system to rate the quality of posts on the Pinside as well as a mechanism to mark posts as "unsafe". This system is currently in BETA and any feedback on it is appreciated!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I like it already....


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Awesome job!

    Thank you!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks amazing Robin!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Great job on the format Robin!!!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    woah woah, fancy!

    robin said:

    Today also launches the BETA of Pinside Post Ratings

    so does that mean when someone starts bashing Stern, it will turn negative and flames will start shooting out of the pop bumper?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Wow, great work, best site on the net just got better!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I do not see >>"- Shopout photos category added."

    I may be blind. Does anyone else see it?

    Love all the changes!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Whysnow said:

    I do not see >>"- Shopout photos category added."

    I have uploaded some in http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/bram-stokers-dracula/gallery
    They're technically not shopout pics, but it's just a test!

    And if you go here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/bram-stokers-dracula/gallery/upload

    You'll see that there is a new category to upload in to called "shopout".


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Thanks, Robin. I appreciate your dedication to making our hobby more fun and better connected.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    oh, I see...

    Thanks!

    Great work. Definitely time to donate


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Donated just now. That was easy! Thanks for this website Robin and for feeding my new addiction (er... I mean hobby)

    cheers mate


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    How do I mark all threads as read, so I can start fresh?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Oh, forgot to add....Robin, great work.....

    Now back to my complaining

    In the mail, the threads appear to be sorted by when the first message was sent. Can they be sorted by when the last message was received? I had to scroll down nearly a page to find the most recent message from a pinsider because he responded to an older message thread.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robertmee said:

    How do I mark all threads as read, so I can start fresh?

    Good idea. I'll create an action for that in the dropdown, next to archive and delete.

    robertmee said:

    In the mail, the threads appear to be sorted by when the first message was sent. Can they be sorted by when the last message was received? I had to scroll down nearly a page to find the most recent message from a pinsider because he responded to an older message thread.

    Sounds like a bug, I'll look into this!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Robin,

    For the mark read I was referring to the main forum summary....When I came on this morning for the first time, I see everything marked unread. I'd like to mark everything read, so that from this point going forward, I will instantly see new updates. I often do that when away from a forum for a few days on my return to sort of 'catch up'.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Nice work thanks for making a great site better.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robin said:

    You probably already noticed on the forum home page: Pinside now keeps track of the threads you visit and when you last visited them, allowing us to show you when threads are updated with shiny badges .

    This is something that I have really missed. It doesn't seem to work properly yet, but that may be just a question of time.

    Well done !


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    PinHog said:

    This is something that I have really missed. It doesn't seem to work properly yet

    Glad you like it! Could you elaborate on what's not working? Thanks!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Fantastic!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robin said:

    Could you elaborate on what's not working?

    I'll have to do this by examples - it's getting late. (Actually, it's getting early - I need to go to bed...) ;o)

    For instance, all the stickies are "unread". I have read several of them. I think this is taken care of whenever I reread one of them. I also think this applies to all the other posts.

    Bottom line is I think this issue will take care of itself within a matter of days or however long it takes the user to revisit topics of interest. That's good enough for me.

    One possible improvement would be that clicking on a topic title would take you to the first unread post (like what happens when you click on "N new"). If there are several pages of posts, it is more likely that I want to pick up where I left it than at the first post.

    (When I said that "that may be just a question of time" I meant that this will sort itself out as the user revisits more and more topics.)


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks great! Much appreciated.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Robin you have made a fantastic site super fantastic. People that have been using this site and have not donated need to. I know what it takes to update a site and the cost and your hard work is appreciated!

    Let's donate people !


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    wow, i thought I had logged in the wrong forum!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    The_Gorilla said:

    wow, i thought I had logged in the wrong forum!

    I hope that's a good thing!

    GAP said:

    Let's donate people !

    Super cool, I so appreciate your enthusiasm!!

    PinHog said:

    For instance, all the stickies are "unread". I have read several of them. I think this is taken care of whenever I reread one of them. I also think this applies to all the other posts.

    Bottom line is I think this issue will take care of itself within a matter of days or however long it takes the user to revisit topics of interest. That's good enough for me.

    Ah, I understand now. Yep, that's indeed what is happening. I didn't know how to solve that problem since I don't have any historic visit data to work with. I figured, it'll solve itself soon enough

    PinHog said:

    One possible improvement would be that clicking on a topic title would take you to the first unread post (like what happens when you click on "N new"). If there are several pages of posts, it is more likely that I want to pick up where I left it than at the first post.

    I kinda wanted to leave that up to the user - wether to go to the opening post or to the last post. So I figured that most will click the new icon anyway. I mean, there has to be a way to go to the opening post and so doing it like this seemed to make the most sense.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks GREAT, Robin!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robin said:
    PinHog said:
    One possible improvement would be that clicking on a topic title would take you to the first unread post (like what happens when you click on "N new"). If there are several pages of posts, it is more likely that I want to pick up where I left it than at the first post.

    I kinda wanted to leave that up to the user - wether to go to the opening post or to the last post. So I figured that most will click the new icon anyway. I mean, there has to be a way to go to the opening post and so doing it like this seemed to make the most sense.

    My point in that respect would be that the title is much wider than the "N new" button.

    We're used to getting to post one when clicking on a link, then click on the last page link, then scroll up to the last post we read. It seems very unlikely that somebody would want to revisit pages of posts they already read (from the front page). I suggest you make the new entry point equal to the first unread post. On the rare occasion that we want to read something older, we can get there manually.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Thank you Robin! The new site looks great.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Fantastic work Robin site is looking amazing! You should send stern a little email show them how a pinball site/forum should look and work


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    PinHog said:

    My point in that respect would be that the title is much wider than the "N new" button.

    We're used to getting to post one when clicking on a link, then click on the last page link, then scroll up to the last post we read. It seems very unlikely that somebody would want to revisit pages of posts they already read (from the front page). I suggest you make the new entry point equal to the first unread post. On the rare occasion that we want to read something older, we can get there manually.

    I'm afraid this will get confusing to people. There should always be a choice to deviate from the standard behavior (also think about not-signed-in users who do not get the "new" icons).

    By the way, did you know that before Pinside 2.5 there already was a way to jump to the last post - you could click the ".. minutes ago" link and then jump to the last post. Most power users used that. I'm sure most folks will figure out clicking on the "new" icon as well.

    For now I'll leave things as they are. But thanks for suggestions!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Great site, great upgrades! Thanks for all you do!

    -M


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robin said:

    - You probably already noticed on the forum home page: Pinside now keeps track of the threads you visit and when you last visited them, allowing us to show you when threads are updated with shiny badges .

    This is great and was really needed. Only thing to add now is a link that will take you to your last read post in the tread. If you miss a long thread for a few days you still have to scroll through it to find out where you stopped reading.

    ...... Actually it looks like you may of added this feature and i spoke too soon.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks Robin.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    It would be nice if when someone starts a thread then any later post in that thread they would be designated as "OP" (original poster) in the top bar or next to there name.

    When threads get longer it is nice to remember who the original thread starter was.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Whysnow said:

    When threads get longer it is nice to remember who the original thread starter was.

    It also helps direct you to threads started by people you know or like reading. I think this is a must have to see the OP name next to the thread title.

    GREAT job Robin, three cheers, hip hip horray! hip hip horray! hip hip horray!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Awsome job Robin thank you for doing this


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robin said:

    I hope that's a good thing!

    Very very good!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Love it! Glad I donated yesterday. Already got my monies worth : )


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    robertmee said:

    Robin,
    For the mark read I was referring to the main forum summary....When I came on this morning for the first time, I see everything marked unread. I'd like to mark everything read, so that from this point going forward, I will instantly see new updates. I often do that when away from a forum for a few days on my return to sort of 'catch up'.

    +1 to this! Loving it so far, but I rarely go past the "Portal" page and everything is showing up as "unread". If there's a quick way for me to "mark all as read" that'd be cool

    Great work Robin, still looking forward to what we talked about...


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Thank you Robin!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Beautiful. I'm lovin the new changes. Looks like I'm going to be running late today. I've got to check out all the changes before I go anywhere. I do have a question though. Since we're using a google search engine(love that) is it still necessary to fill out the tag info?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Oh yes, yes, and as always thank you.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Wow! Thanks Robin. What a way to wake up!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks great!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks great, best pinsite just got even better


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I think it would make more sense to just leave unread messages blank and put an icon beside the ones you've already read and of course the ones that were updated since you last replied. This would be great in the case that you replied to a thread a couple of days or so ago and missed its bump to the front page. It would not appear on your recent activity page because it was bumped off of page 1 of that by new posts you made since then. 80% of my activity here is just reading so right now I see a lot of "unread" icons.

    Also, love the fact that the nav bar doesn't follow you around anymore. Now I can type on my iPhone without moving it out of the way first! And forum ratings were much needed!

    The only thing I don't like so far is the inability to close the rating tab on mobile Safari. If I tap the pop bumper button a second time it doesn't close. Though I realize the button was designed to open when mousing over it, which is obviously impossible on iOS. Just a suggestion.

    Edit: Oops! Tapping outside of the button works. But maybe consider that too to avoid confusion.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    The_Gorilla said:

    wow, i thought I had logged in the wrong forum! [:)]

    Ha, that's funny but also know exactly what you mean.

    rommy said:

    Wow! Thanks Robin. What a way to wake up!

    +1 on this one, this site is the best and keeps getting better. BTW: I posted a longer thread about being impressed in your other thread Robin, not going to repeat here.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Looks very nice.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    the_pin_family said:

    Since we're using a google search engine(love that) is it still necessary to fill out the tag info?

    I'm not sure, maybe someone more knowledgeable on the SEO subject could chime in? The 2.5 update puts all tags in the page's meta keywords (I think PinHog suggested this a while back) and I'm pretty sure Google uses these to determine what a page is about?



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.





© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple