Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by nicoga3000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

*For some reason, my first topic had no text in it. Odd...I asked a moderator and they said to just make a new thread!*

Recently, my wife noticed that I've been playing more and more virtual pinball (mostly because I haven't found a lot of good options near me...I will keep looking). The other night, I told her about my idea to finish up our 3rd car garage. I mentioned that I was thinking of turning it into a man cave/game room. She actually seemed quite receptive to the idea of buying a pinball machine. A+

One thing lead to another, and she basically said, "If we're going to spend a lot of money on a pinball machine, I think I'd rather you put it inside. Why not turn the loft into a game room instead?"

Well then - he were are!

I've started to do some research on machines, but I figured many of you folks here would be able to assist me and give me an idea on machines to look for (and possibly where to get a fair deal on one). Obviously it's hard not having physical machines to try at the moment, but before I invest in a machine, I FULLY intend to find and play it. I can play Taxi on TPA all day, but I don't think I'd enjoy owning a Taxi machine. Same with something like Big Shot - it's fun to play while I'm sitting on the couch, but I'd get bored with it pretty quick.

I do wish I could make it to the expo this weekend in Chicago. I simply can't make it due to work obligations. It's a bummer being that it's SO close to Indy (and I have family in Chicago area) - that would have been a fantastic place to try new games! But I'll have to wait on that one.

So here's my dilemma - finding a machine that fits my "style".

What I've learned from playing a bunch of virtual tables and watching PAPA videos is this:

- I like tables that have an "epic feel" to them in terms of goals (Arabian Nights, Star Trek, etc)
    - I am a fan of more recent tables (Tron, LotR, Iron Man, etc)
    - I want a game that's more than just "shoot this ramp forever"...In line with my first point!
    - A wizard mode to work towards is important to me
    - I'd rather spend the money and go DMD

A little elaboration on points 1 and 3...The first table I ever "beat" was Arabian Nights on TPA. I loved the quest of collecting the jewels and saving the princess. I was aiming to get a high score, sure - but as I played, my goal was to save that princess. It was fun and engaging. That sort of lines up with point 3 in that the purpose wasn't to just shoot a ramp forever. I love the high score race, but I like the fun, complex, and non-linearity of some tables.

TNG has that same feel to me - I'm finally getting a hang of the table, but it feels like there are SO many things to do and so many missions and goals! That really makes me enjoy the game more.

While I've not played Tron or Iron Man, Tron has always been a favorite movie of mine. The new one (which I know some folks didn't like) was really fun. This would be my ideal machine, mostly because every video I've seen seems to suggest that it meets a lot of what I'm looking for. And it would go great with the Flynn's sign I want to put up, haha. Watching Iron Man videos makes that machine look like a blast, too. I'd need to read about the goals and "end-game" of that table more before I'd put that on my list (mostly because I'm not a Iron Man fanatic like some folks are).

I should explain a BIT more why some tables are NOT in my radar. Taxi is the example I'll use again...I LOVE that table in that it's fun, simple, and really "uppity". The problem is that the goal set is really one-dimensional. I don't think I'd enjoy it enough to keep it around. Twilight Zone is sort of the same way - I realize that's a classic table, but I haven't found myself really getting into it. I think there may be more to it, but I haven't found it. Older/classic tables just aren't my thing - I'll play them to play them, but I won't invest in one.

Now as the time gets closer, I'll probably delve more into the budget side of things, but assuming I set aside around $5k to spend, can I get a machine that would meet my requirements? And is it even feasible to invest in 2 less popular machines instead of one? In my searching for Tron machines, it looks like I should expect to pay ~$4.5-5k on it (I'm guessing that's because they didn't make too many, no?). The new Avengers table sounds like it has a pretty deep set of goals and would probably fit in with the concept I'm going for, but I don't know what that will go for yet.

Anyways, I'd really love to hear from you guys and see what you think I should be looking for. I appreciate any and all comments and criticisms here. As a first time pin buyer, I know there are a LOT of things I don't know about yet. Tips and FAQs never hurt either!

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Get to Expo, get to any show. See if any locations around you have pins. Try and hook up with local collectors. Play some real pins. Get some experience.

Then start thinking about what you want in a pin you'll own.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

+1 to what lloyd said... don't base your decision on what others like, base it on what YOU like...

who knows... you might find that you'd prefer to have three $1500 games to one $5000 game... or any number of combinations... i for one would get bored playing the same machine over and over again, no matter how "good" it is...

you really need to get out and play... at the beginning of your post, you say you are "a fan of tron, iron man... tables", yet further on down, you say you haven't played them... those two statements don't go together...

something to keep in mind... "tpa virtual pinball" isn't anything like "real pinball"... tpa can teach you the rulesets, but it's nothing like playing an actual machine...

#4 10 years ago

There are plenty of great $1.5 - 2k games out there. With a $5k budget, you should be able to pick up 2-3 good games. If you really want a newer game and don't mind spending the money on it, I'd highly recommend a new Stern Star Trek pro - I have one and love it. Good luck with your purchase!

#5 10 years ago

Right, I'm a fan of the rule set and the style of the game! I think that's sort of what I was trying to get across. Sure, I haven't played the tables...But watching the game get played and reading about the game gives me enough information to know that I'd at least like to play the table and keep it as one of my front-runners for purchase. I know also that, like my post alluded to, I won't enjoy a game with simple and relatively linear gameplay. So my hope is that I can get an idea of what machines to look out for - I don't know enough games right now to know which may meet my criteria and which would be "wasting my time".

I guess what I mean is, I've seen videos and read about only a few tables that I've run across on YouTube watching PAPA recaps. I know that more games out there are worth me looking at, but I'm not really aware of what those are yet!

And yes - virtual pinball is not the same, that much I know. But understanding the game and getting a basic feel for what the game has to offer is, in my opinion, something that I think virtual play and videos CAN get across. Maybe I'm wrong here, but given my situation, it's going to have to work until I'm ready to throw the cash down on a table I've seen and played in person!

#6 10 years ago

Go north to the Expo this weekend.

It will blow your mind.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Go north to the Expo this weekend.
    It will blow your mind.

Believe me - I want to more than anything! But I am taking my Professional Engineering exam on the 25th, so I need to be studying. 8 hours of exam covering everything civil/structural engineering is going to be ROUGH. Pinball must wait, haha.

#8 10 years ago

best advice you can get is, Never buy anything you havn't played extensively first hand. Put in at least 20-50 games on something before you decide that's what you want. Many to choose from out there. Watch prices and don't overpay. Your area can be reasonable on prices, if your 1. not in a rush. 2. Willing to drive on a moments notice 3. able to haul a pin 4. willing to learn how to fix and work on a game that needs work.

#9 10 years ago

If you like Tron, get Tron. It's an amazing game IMO, especially if you're a fan. However....it's not a deep game, but it doesn't really matter...Tron...tron tron...tron...

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

If you like Tron, get Tron. It's an amazing game IMO, especially if you're a fan. However....it's not a deep game, but it doesn't really matter...Tron...tron tron...tron...

This is why I DO fully intend to put some time on a table before I decide to drop some cash. As much as I love the movie and the theme of Tron, if the game doesn't grab me, I will not pay that kind of money.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

best advice you can get is, Never buy anything you havn't played extensively first hand. Put in at least 20-50 games on something before you decide that's what you want. Many to choose from out there. Watch prices and don't overpay. Your area can be reasonable on prices, if your 1. not in a rush. 2. Willing to drive on a moments notice 3. able to haul a pin 4. willing to learn how to fix and work on a game that needs work.

I can make the haul work for sure. As for willingness to learn and fix, I am actually excited to learn that side of it. I love to tinker, haha.

#11 10 years ago

then you will be able to find reasonable pins.

#12 10 years ago

Don't forget, the stuff you can't play, YouTube it! You can see how the machine looks, plays and sounds. If you like it, buy it. Use all the resources like Pinside, Pinwiki, Rec Games Pinball, etc. Sooo many people in this hobby are really nice and want to help us "newbies" out. Enjoy!

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

And yes - virtual pinball is not the same, that much I know. But understanding the game and getting a basic feel for what the game has to offer is, in my opinion, something that I think virtual play and videos CAN get across. Maybe I'm wrong here, but given my situation, it's going to have to work until I'm ready to throw the cash down on a table I've seen and played in person!

since you mentioned "big shot" (and yes, i understand that would not be the type of game you are looking for)... the "real" game plays completely differently than the virtual game...

as noted by myself and reinforced by others... play before you buy... a lot... you might be surprised at what you like (and don't like) once an actual machine is in front of you...

imo, ymmv, it's your money, etc.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

since you mentioned "big shot" (and yes, i understand that would not be the type of game you are looking for)... the "real" game plays completely differently than the virtual game...
    as noted by myself and reinforced by others... play before you buy... a lot... you might be surprised at what you like (and don't like) once an actual machine is in front of you...
    imo, ymmv, it's your money, etc.

That's interesting that a machine like Big Shot would be so different! Interesting for sure!

Yeah, I don't want to blow my money on a machine I haven't played or one that I'm not familiar with. I fully expect to be completely surprised by at least one or two machines that I wouldn't have thought I liked after finding a chance to play them.

#15 10 years ago

^^^

it is because tpa is an "idealized" version of pinball, and "real pinball" isn't idealized... for example, with an em (it may be true of modern pins as well, i'm primarily familiar with em's), you may have to nudge the machine way before the ball actually gets to the final "bounce" off something... it may hit 3 other things after that nudge, but if you didn't make that nudge "early", the ball isn't going to go where you want it to go...

another example... it's very easy to replicate shots in tpa... in the real game, not so much...

there are many other things as well...

i'm not knocking tpa, it is what it is, and it has gotten people (such as yourself) interested in pinball, which is a good thing... but it shouldn't be looked at as anything but a video game, and video games can't replicate reality...

#16 10 years ago

I gotcha - I realize my experience is next to nothing compared to many folks here, so I'm more here to learn as much as I can and get a bit more involved. The tactile nature of a real machine simply destroys what my handheld device presents me. That's why I figured asking the question is the best way to get started in my hunt!

#17 10 years ago

Gotta go to an expo. There's one in Florida in november

#18 10 years ago

http://msamuse.com/

Not to far from Indy. They have a Tron

#19 10 years ago

Lots of good choices there. Perhaps not STTNG for a first game. I have one and its my favorite, but its maintenance heavy. I agree with all those that say go and play some first.

#20 10 years ago

I disagree. don't be afraid of problem child games. My first game was TZ. yes it has it's issues. but at the same time, there is no shortage of information out there for every problem you will encounter. Making the "dig in and fix it" issues, very easy to deal with. Plus you get a plethora of knowledge in the troubleshooting department.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Plenty of good avice here already, but this bit particulary struck home with me. Find and arcade and go play. Then be patient. If you are patient and don't overpay, it is unlikely that you won't be able to get out from under the table for at least what you paid for it.

I am an naturally impulsive person when it comes to acquisitions. I have acquired two machines without having played them first. Both are no longer with me and one lasted less than a month. I was able to sell both for more than I paid. And, other than a few exceptions, if you (1) don't see it available today or (2) you miss out on one because someone else got it first don't worry - another will pop up relatively soon.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree. don't be afraid of problem child games. My first game was TZ. yes it has it's issues. but at the same time, there is no shortage of information out there for every problem you will encounter. Making the "dig in and fix it" issues, very easy to deal with. Plus you get a plethora of knowledge in the troubleshooting department.

As I stated, I'm actually looking forward to learning to fix and tinker with my machine. I've always wanted to learn to solder, too...So this gives me an excuse!

I have a question that I've been thinking about...What's the difference between Pro and LE tables (and any other special makes)? This post in the "Is Avengers too Difficult" thread made me wonder:

Quoted from gweempose:

From my experience playing both the pro and LE, I'd say the shots are some of the tightest I can recall.

Are Pro and LE tables different in terms of what's offered on the table? Are Pro typically cheaper than LE? And in that light, do the games play different?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somewhat-new-need-some-game-advice-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.