IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1212[1].JPG
IMG_1213[1].JPG
2014-05-06 21.45.47.jpg
IMG_1186[1].JPG
#1 9 years ago

I finally got around to starting a playfield swap on Silverball Mania. I have more progress to take pics of than what is posted but this is a good start. My goal is to get things swapped over while I still have it in my memory then go back and take care of the stuff I want to replace. I also managed to break my favorite little shear cutters on ground braind staples...IMG_0694.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0833.JPGIMG_0833.JPGIMG_1134.JPGIMG_1134.JPGIMG_1130.JPGIMG_1130.JPGIMG_1133.JPGIMG_1133.JPGIMG_1128.JPGIMG_1128.JPGIMG_1132.JPGIMG_1132.JPGIMG_1135.JPGIMG_1135.JPGIMG_1136.JPGIMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1129.JPGIMG_1129.JPG
#2 9 years ago

WOW nice work, you really know what your doing.

#3 9 years ago

Looks like you are really knocking it out. A couple of thoughts, maybe you have already done the pop bumpers, but it is a lot easier hammering those screw nails when nothing else is on the new playfield. Also, it is easier to clean clearcoat out of the star rollovers when the switch isn't installed yet. Hopefully, you don't have too much clear in them in the first place as it can be a major PITA to clean them out.

Best of luck to you on your project.

2 weeks later
#4 9 years ago

I haven't made much progress on this lately but I did manage to pick up another silverball mania project machine. It was a half started playfield swap and I have spent most of my time putting the 2nd one back together.
The topside on the new CPR playfield I got with the project machine was all swapped over wrong or poorly so it all had to be taken off and start over. Also the "new" CPR playfield has warped quite a bit over time so i'm not real sure what ill end up doing with it in the long run so I went with rebuilding the original playfield. I'm just about ready to power it up this weekend maybe. Luckily there wasn't much done to the original harness so it has been mostly re attaching some wires to coils.
I don't know if the new PF was stored wrong for a long time or how exactly it ended up warping or if it will be able to straighten itself out over time. I can snap some pictures of it if anyone has any suggestions or has dealt with a warped playfield before.
BTW the one on the right is the "new" one with its original playfield.
IMG_1185[1].JPGIMG_1185[1].JPG

IMG_1186[1].JPGIMG_1186[1].JPG

#5 9 years ago

To help with the warp problem how about oak wood rails on the pf, get rid of that pine. That might help some.

#6 9 years ago

It's actually pretty normal for a unmounted playfield to bow or cup towards the clearcoated side.

More moisture enters from the back of the playfield than through the cleared front, swelling the back wood fibers.

Once you put the rails on, it usually flattens right out.

Store playfields with the rails on the backside and it keeps them from warping (don't put the rails on the front of new playfields until the clear is REALLY dry, lol).

#7 9 years ago

I'm starting on one this weekend. Not mine though.

2014-05-06 21.45.47.jpg2014-05-06 21.45.47.jpg

#8 9 years ago

Its is cupped facing up as it would sit In the machine. Cupped in both directions, length and width. It was very noticeably warped upwards even with the rails mounted on the playfield as it was when I got it. I'll take some pictures of it when I get home from work.

#9 9 years ago

Good news. I have had the playfield upside down with some weight on it for about a week now and the warp seems to be coming out of it. Not perfect but It looks ALOT better than it did when I got it home initially. I am amazed at the difference from it just sitting there.
I also powered it up and other than a short blowing the playfield fuse and the MPU needing a rebuild it is working.
Now I plan to get back to the original project...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Good news. I have had the playfield upside down with some weight on it for about a week now and the warp seems to be coming out of it. Not perfect but It looks ALOT better than it did when I got it home initially. I am amazed at the difference from it just sitting there.

Great news!

#11 9 years ago

I just can't imagine that it could have warped that much, with the rails on, from moving it 50 miles... That makes me wonder how much movement there may be in a fully populated playfield thats being transported cross country with temperature changes.

#12 9 years ago

That's what happens when you get so much moisture absorbed in the backside.

Could be crappy rails too, try to flex them and see if they need to be replaced.

3 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Getting back to original project, I made some progress this weekend after a bit of a hiatus. And of course I ran out of or just plain lost a few odds and ends. I ran into some gremlins on the 2nd machine so the plan currently is get the original project put back together and working so I don't have 2 machines not working and in pieces.

And if anyone is looking I will be selling 2 Silverball Mania playfields at some point. 1 original PF that is in fairly decent shape. And the CPR repro PF from the 2nd machine which has flattened out quite nicely so far, not quite perfect yet but tolerable now.

IMG_1213[1].JPGIMG_1213[1].JPGIMG_1212[1].JPGIMG_1212[1].JPG

1 week later
#14 9 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

And if anyone is looking I will be selling 2 Silverball Mania playfields at some point. 1 original PF that is in fairly decent shape. And the CPR repro PF from the 2nd machine which has flattened out quite nicely so far, not quite perfect yet but tolerable now.

Hello,
I just picked up a Silverball Mania. I would be curious about your CPR repo. Please contact me and send pics.
Thanks
Mike

#15 9 years ago

More progress this weekend. The playfield is about as assembled as I'm going to get it for now so I decided to start working on the cabinet. One thing lead to another so now I'm doing more work to the cabinet that I initially though I would.
The extra repro playfield no longer looks like a hockey stick. Just setting it up on sawhorses with a bit of weight on it for about a month now and the the warp came out on its own.
And i've still got to get that stupid bullseye target out of there as I keep forgetting about it.

IMG_1214.JPGIMG_1214.JPGIMG_1219.JPGIMG_1219.JPGIMG_1221.JPGIMG_1221.JPGIMG_1226[1].JPGIMG_1226[1].JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1229.JPGIMG_1229.JPG

1 month later
#16 9 years ago

Silverball Mania #2 project machine is put back together with the original playfield and now working/playable. Still lots of little issues to work out though.
Basically had to re pin every connector in the back box and replace the stupid IDC conectors to get it working. Working on new header pins on all the boards and the problems are slowly going away. Figured out the blowing fuse problem was the ball kicker.
Some asshat at some point decided to remove the header pins from the power supply PCB and hard wire the wiring harness to the board so i had to cut all that off and re pin all that. Hack wiring and soldering job, wrong fuses for everything.. I decided to just toss that PCB entirely for the one from the other machine.
I feel a lot better working on the first machine now that this one is at least in somewhat working order. IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1523.JPG

#17 9 years ago

1st step in stenciling. I was rather nervous that it would somehow look like total crap. I'm not going for super perfection but I am pleased with the result so far.
IMG_1576[1].JPGIMG_1576[1].JPGIMG_1577[1].JPGIMG_1577[1].JPG

#18 9 years ago

Great use for all those nuts I never put on my leg levelers.

#19 9 years ago

Side art done on one side. I wanted something constructive to do with my time so I made my own stencils. Not perfect but I am happy so far. Will I make stencils again? Not likely, but it is doable.
I have taken my inspiration for this project from another silverball mania project thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-restoration
IMG_1596.JPGIMG_1596.JPG

4 months later
#20 9 years ago

Still working on this little by little. Taking time to not get frustrated with things. After powering up the first time the GI fuse was blown. Then spending the last couple weeks here and there I finally found the issue. Staple for 1 of the light sockets was touching the ground braid. Overall big learning experience with this project. No idea how some of you guys can do stuff like this so quickly.

IMG_2195.JPGIMG_2195.JPG

#21 9 years ago

I am about ready to start on a pair of them. I just bought a mostly populated playfield to work with too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-playfield-swap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.