Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by tomdotcom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I've had a Fishtales for a couple months now. Out of all the machines for some reason, this one has me stumped. First of all let me say I'm a terrible player, but this one just seems tougher to master. Feel free to let me know how bad I am!

#2 11 years ago

All your questions can be answered here: http://papa.org/blog/2011/06/do-you-love-the-fish-tales/

#3 11 years ago

It isn't easy for me, thats for sure. I can be having an awesome first ball and have the next two drain STDM in seconds.

#4 11 years ago

Hard and addictive

#5 11 years ago

It's up there for one of the higheset GPH (Games per hour) for me but I love it. Once you lock in the shots it should help but the lanes are wide and the gap between the flippers seems huge. You could try fitting standard flippers if it has Lightning flippers atm.

#6 11 years ago

For me it's all about the left shot up to the top of the playfield. If I'm having a good night and I can hit that at will, I'll score well. Some nights I can't hardly hit that shot and without that shot in the bag you'll suffer. Jackpot, Monster Fish, Truth-O-meter, depth finder, and feeding frenzy all rely on hitting that shot. For me Fishtales is feast or famine!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

You could try fitting standard flippers if it has Lightning flippers atm.

I've got a set of standard yellow Williams flippers on mine that I'd be happy to trade for lightning flippers if anyone's interested.

#8 11 years ago

Maybe I'm crazy, but I find the game easier than most... and I'm not at all bragging because I don't consider myself a fantastic player.
I played FT a ton when it was first released and before I understood the game like I do now. I always wanted one and just picked one up a couple of months back. It was in storage until recently and we've been playing it at the office maybe 30 minutes each day after work. I find that I can hit almost every shot like butter. Don't get me wrong, I love it an maybe this is just a game that I gel with, but I do not find it frustrating or difficult at all.
However, this could be attributed to the fact that my FT is dirty and routed. I'm sure once I get it all restored, clearcoated and moving a lot faster, it will be harder to tame. Still, it was well maintained and is pretty quick as-is.
Just my observations.

By the way, what's a good average score on this pin? And what would be a fantastic once or twice a year score?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

By the way, what's a good average score on this pin? And what would be a fantastic once or twice a year score?

I'd say anything over 500M is pretty satisfying. I've only had mine a little while & my best score so far is 800M. I haven't hit 1 billion yet, but I know it's within reach!

#10 11 years ago

Tough pin for sure, haven't even cracked the 100 million mark yet.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

My average is usually between 150-300 million.... I have cracked 1.5billion once and 1billion a few times...

#12 11 years ago

Okay, I don't feel like I was blowing smoke then. I got over 200 mil on my first game and I can consistently get into the 150-300 mil range now after just about a week of having it set up and maybe 25 games on it total.

Sounds like it scores similar to games like TAF or IJ. It actually has a lot of IJ similarities in the ruleset which I like. Collecting left and right ramps to start a hurry-up, a physical rotating ball-lock, having to lite and then collect jackpots on two separate shots, the shooter, captive ball, etc...

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My average is usually between 150-300 million.... I have cracked 1.5billion once and 1billion a few times...

Aboot where I am on it. I like the game a lot though and there are different things to do, whcih keep you interested. Concentrate on Fish & tales, captive ball, lock/supers.

EDIT: Helps a lot if you can hit the left orbit hole with the left flipper.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Helps a lot if you can hit the left orbit hole with the left flipper.

I remember thinking how versatile the shots on this game were when I discovered you can make that left orbit shot with the ball cradled on the left flipper... very cool! It seems that a wide variety of shots can be made from both sides... without back flipping.

Again, I'm just getting re-acquainted with this game after many years so, how does the Truth-O-Meter spinner and the drop target work? My drop target doesn't seem to come up, even after the first MB. And is there any strategy to the spinner? I've cranked it really hard and gotten a crappy tale... and I've gotten 5x from a weak shot from the left flipper. Seems pretty random.

#15 11 years ago

Yes the drop target should be working...that's why it's there

As far as I know the spinner of truth always starts off at the bottom and each spin moves it up one.
I've never really paid to much attention to it or tried to hit it in a diff'rent way. Not a lot of points there.

#16 11 years ago

Definitely way too hard. You should give it up now and just sell the machine to me.

#17 11 years ago

Getting a super jackpot is no easy task on this game.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

My drop target doesn't seem to come up, even after the first MB.

Make sure it works in test... goes up (and stays up) and down. If it works in test then it might have something to do with how you have the rules set.

I think by default it only comes up after getting a jackpot. After you're done with the multiball the drop target should pop up. If you have the game set up to hard, I think the drop target pops up at the beginning of the game.

Mine took some manual adjustment to get working right.

#19 11 years ago

FT is so unforgiving... and so awesome when you hear SUUUUUUUUUPER JAAAAAAAACKPOT!!!!

I wish CPR would hurry up and do the repro playfields already!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

+1

#21 11 years ago

This game has to be one of the hardest games to lock balls during multi-ball for jackpots and super jackpots. Makes you keep coming back for more. My high is only 645,000. Just got it a few weeks ago. Hitting those supers is very satisfying! Love my FT. Its a keeper.

#22 11 years ago

This is what prevented me from getting one for years. Couldn't find a decent one without playfield wear. I ended up scoring a dirty but fully Mylared example. Can't wait to attempt peeling that up

#23 11 years ago

FT is so unforgiving... and so awesome when you hear SUUUUUUUUUPER JAAAAAAAACKPOT!!!!

I have, only one time ever, scored a double super jackpot. SOOOO awesome.

#24 11 years ago

I own at Fishtales...its tough, but if u have the lockshot and left orbit jackpot shot down...ure golden

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silly-question-is-ft-a-hard-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.