(Topic ID: 67023)

Should I pay $8000.00 for a shopped MM..??

By limelime20

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Kneissl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

are-you-gullible-button.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I had a local person who had 2 MM's, and I have been trying to get one for the last 3 years....
He wanted $10,000 for either one of them......I alway's said $8000.00
And he kept passing, ..for years....
All of a sudden, he email's me , with,..."Do you still want a MM for 8K.? ...
what do think I should say..???

#2 10 years ago

Can't tell if you are serious or joking about today's announcement.

#3 10 years ago

buy a new one. if the le's are sold out they will continue with the standard version.

new boards and all, brand new.

#4 10 years ago

I am not joking, I don't think he know's , that I know that an announcement has been made...
I am going to go with a new one, unless these OLD one's hold any value..???

#5 10 years ago

If you are serious about passing on it, could you please forward me his info? I would be glad to get it for $8k.

#6 10 years ago

I think it's a great op to buy an original at a discount. These may dip initially from people panic dumping. You have the upper hand. Why not offer him less as he has two and you can be sure he is more than a little anxious about it!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

I am not joking, I don't think he know's , that I know that an announcement has been made...
I am going to go with a new one, unless these OLD one's hold any value..???

I'm pretty sure he knows. All of a sudden an email out of the blue?

are-you-gullible-button.jpgare-you-gullible-button.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Buy a new one, seriously.

#9 10 years ago

Buy a WOZ

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

yep

#11 10 years ago

Why buy the old one?....Pick up the new LE for 8k, no brainer.....

#12 10 years ago

nib all the way, with a warranty.

#13 10 years ago

I wouldn't deal with that guy, sounds like a dick for holding two MM's and only will sell you when he is trying to take advantage of you.

#14 10 years ago

Best idea yet:

Use the information about the new one and get a better price on the old one, if money is not a problem/concern for you, then buy the new one.

Offer 6K,

just a thought.

#15 10 years ago

Limeline...I think I remember you always saying $5,000

#16 10 years ago

Yep no brainer. Take the money that he's going to spend on a new one, buy a pro and save a couple bucks damnit.

#17 10 years ago

Do the shopped older versions have any mods or enhancements? Color DMD perhaps? Clear coated playfields? That info would make a big difference to many and is necessary for people to give you advice on the question.

Condition and upgrades (like a clear coated playfied) are king.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

are-you-gullible-button.jpg 10 KB

My phone battery died from all the calls I got today and I have nothing to do with the hobby other than owning 5 games. Do you really think he did not know?
Buy the new one. Castle gates and assemblies are very expensive and its doubtful that his shopped game has new ones. If you wanna be an investor buy the shopped one. If you wanna have a player game with all new stuff hold out for the new one.
Think about it....a brand new playfield, no lifting inserts, no yellowing of the inserts, all mechs new and not needing rebuilding, a warranty, no goofy stuff happening to an old translite, probably better lighting behind the translite, new technology higher speed chips, non ghosting LEDs, no yellowing plastics, a new shooter lane you can put mylar on to keep it looking new, a shaker, no rusty threads on leveling legs, no chips in the cabinet, no broken welds or tarnishing on the wireforms etc.
Holy cow...I think I just described a $24,000 MM on Ebay!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

My phone battery died from all the calls I got today and I have nothing to do with the hobby other than owning 5 games. Do you really think he did not know?
Buy the new one. Castle gates and assemblies are very expensive and its doubtful that his shopped game has new ones. If you wanna be an investor buy the shopped one. If you wanna have a player game with all new stuff hold out for the new one.
Think about it....a brand new playfield, no lifting inserts, no yellowing of the inserts, all mechs new and not needing rebuilding, a warranty, no goofy stuff happening to an old translite, probably better lighting behind the translite, new technology higher speed chips, non ghosting LEDs, no yellowing plastics, a new shooter lane you can put mylar on to keep it looking new, a shaker, no rusty threads on leveling legs, no chips in the cabinet, no broken welds or tarnishing on the wireforms etc.

You left out, No Williams logo

#20 10 years ago

I would buy the original he offered for 8k. I would rather have an original than the remake every day. Once the dust settles, the good condition MM's will not lose much of their value at all, but don't buy it for an investment, pinball is not an investment, its a hobby and hobbies cost money.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I would buy the original he offered for 8k. I would rather have an original than the remake every day. Once the dust settles, the good condition MM's will not lose much of their value at all, but don't buy it for an investment, pinball is not an investment, its a hobby and hobbies cost money.

Sort of a contradiction in your statement though. On one hand you are saying that pinball is not an investment. On the other hand you are saying the "good condition MM's will not lose much of their value at all." If I'm buying into your statement that pinball is not an investment then why would I care about the latter comment?

Anyway, I always air on the side of a new, reliable machine. I have a busy career so the last thing I want is an old machine with issues.

#22 10 years ago

It'll be fun to see how the WMS sell now. I'm glad I'm not someone that bought one for over 8K in the last few days.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Sort of a contradiction in your statement though. On one hand you are saying that pinball is not an investment. On the other hand you are saying the "good condition MM's will not lose much of their value at all." If I'm buying into your statement that pinball is not an investment then why would I care about the latter comment?
Anyway, I always air on the side of a new, reliable machine. I have a busy career so the last thing I want is an old machine with issues.

Not a contradiction at all. I buy pins because I like them and not for monetary gain.

The comment about MM not going down in price is just what I think and what I think the OP should do since he did ask for our opinion, or am I not allowed an opinion.

#24 10 years ago

until they actually produce one, who knows. buy it if you want it. if it is a game you want, then get it. the sky is falling lmao.... should see plenty of people dumping them now since the price on medieval is going to be lower than a whirlwind or pinbot. this shit is too funny .... buy and enjoy what you want to enjoy.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

If you would like a Williams logo I can send you a link.

If the guy is offering you a non restored game for $8,000 and we can buy new ones, LE or not for $8,000 it seams to make sense to hold out for a new one. If I was staring at two games in front of me, one a brand new remake, the other a beater with thousands of plays on it, I would want it for a few thousand less. If the sell said "no way," then new it is.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

If you would like a Williams logo I can send you a link.

Or print out a sticker

rd

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I would also buy the original for $8k. If it was mint.

If it was a beater, nope. But mint, yep.

rd

#28 10 years ago

Don't even think....New one.

#29 10 years ago

Since new.ones are sold out id take this for 8k easily. Ill buy if you dont for 8300 from you

#30 10 years ago

Yeah most that currently own one will reply buy it. Those that don't will likely tell you no brainer go new. I don't own one but plan to get a new one if I can get one so my obvious opinion would be buy a brand spanking new one.

#31 10 years ago

Im not buying anything for the time being. That's my take. See how all of this craziness pans out.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Since new.ones are sold out id take this for 8k easily. Ill buy if you dont for 8300 from you

The first installment is sold out, wait for round 2.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

The first installment is sold out, wait for round 2.

How do you know? Was there some announcement by PPS?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

or am I not allowed an opinion.

Depends if it is an old original opinion or an nib one, seems we are all only interested in nib ones today

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

That's a super optimistic outcome but there is no guarantee this will be the case. It will be running on an emulator, the PF could be as hit-or-miss as Stern's, the build quality may be questionable, it may not have Wms non-buzzing dual coil flipper system, the mech's may be cheapo quality etc etc...

I hope it's awesome but this isn't a "no brainer"... if I didn't have one already I'd tell the guy about the remakes and offer him 6.5k maybe. IF it's in damn good condition (which is doubtful if it's been routed for 15 years)

#37 10 years ago

I am going with NIB , I have to take new , seem's like a no-brainer for me. His were in average condition,no mods, and FAR from mint. Thanks for the responses, I think warranty and new w/toys was the deciding factor.

#38 10 years ago

No way an original MM is worth $8k now. Maybe $5k in great shape. It's 15 YEARS old. You can have a new one for $3k more = no brainer.

#39 10 years ago

The remake is going to be such a nicer game with LEDs twice coated playfield undated
boards its a no brainer. Now if he dropped to between 4 an 5 thousand he might have a
better chance of selling it.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Decals & emblems will be made as mods I'm sure

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Decals & emblems will be made as mods I'm sure

Yeah and couldn't you just pop in a WPC 95 speaker panel?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2925

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

are-you-gullible-button.jpg 10 KB

Eeeegggggggg

#43 10 years ago

It interests me that the collectors are poo-pooing the new machine. As an antique, I understand why people would want to have the machine. It is a part of history. But here is what I don't understand. Anybody that bought a MM and then bought a new playfield...do you really have the original machine anymore? If you took your playfield and had it clear coated, does it play the same way that it played before? If you had a bunch of plastics replaced because they are broken, they aren't probably original either.

When you look at a 15K MM, none of them seem to be original. They are all tricked out with new parts.

How much different is the new MMR machine going to be from a "restored" MM. Hopefully the MMR is going to use good quality parts. For 8K you would think that they would use high quality parts, but depends on if the manufacturer is there to make a quick buck or to try and start making reproduction machines. I hope they are there to make high quality reproductions, not just make a quick buck using poor quality.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

That's a super optimistic outcome but there is no guarantee this will be the case. It will be running on an emulator, the PF could be as hit-or-miss as Stern's, the build quality may be questionable, it may not have Wms non-buzzing dual coil flipper system, the mech's may be cheapo quality etc etc...
I hope it's awesome but this isn't a "no brainer"... if I didn't have one already I'd tell the guy about the remakes and offer him 6.5k maybe. IF it's in damn good condition (which is doubtful if it's been routed for 15 years)

I think I'd opt for the new technology as well as the other improvements in the game. Its going to be all original type BWMS mechanical parts (just as in WOZ) except where new electronics is concerned, so I don't see where there would be problems there. I cannot remember who is assembling them, but they have been in the business for quite awhile as I had read in another thread. It would be tempting to grab this one at 6500 though if it were really nice and you did not want to wait for the new one. Location is an issue too. Wouldn't you prefer to see it in person before buying since waiting would reward you with a NIB perfect game? Good luck. We have a wonderfully rainy saturday here....a great day for pinball!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I wouldn't deal with that guy, sounds like a dick for holding two MM's and only will sell you when he is trying to take advantage of you.

So if I have something that you want and I don't sell it to you at the price you want me to sell it to you for Im a DICK.

OK. Wow

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from openpinballproj:

It interests me that the collectors are poo-pooing the new machine.

Four big reasons come to mind:
1) Anger. If someone just paid $10-15k for a 15 year old machine that's now worth about $5k... Well, that'd be pretty upsetting to have flushed around $5-10k down the toilet.
2) Jealousy. If someone paid $10-15k for a machine people can now buy for $8k (or less for a non-LE), well, jealousy kicks in for some. "Why are THEY getting a great deal?!"
3) I ain't special no-mo syndrome. MM is a great game... a lot of the old guard around here got them for great prices. Now, the masses can have one at least as good as the old one = "I ain't special no-mo syndrome"
4) Slaughtering Sacred Cows. Other sacred cows are sure to fall... MB, AFM, CV. A lot of people paid a lot of money for those games. See #1-3 above.

Everyone else who doesn't own a sacred cow game? We're all THRILLED.

#47 10 years ago

I can't believe people are saying things like 'warranty' - seriously???

The new game has all kinds of unknowns still... will the board set be reliable? how easy will it be to repair? What about the quality of the new repo'd parts? Will their LED system be good or bad? Remember.. every 'new comer' has great ideas.. ideas that don't necessarily have years or decades of experience and shakedown behind them.

WPC is well known and understood - it's pros and cons are quite clear. And the originals will hold their value because it's the real deal with quality that people appreciate.

Prices will correct because there will be another avenue for those 'that just have to have one' - but the original will still be an 8k game in today's prices. As long as it's playfield isn't blown out or needs major restoration... 8k seems like a win and jump on it.

If you just want a game to play.. and don't care about anything.. buy a new one. But WPC vs unknowns?? I think the WPC wins there.

#48 10 years ago

MM is a 4K machine people!

#49 10 years ago

This is AWSOME!

#50 10 years ago

4K! At that price I will buy another one! Please pick one up and I will pay you a $1 buyers fee.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-pay-800000-for-a-shopped-mm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.