(Topic ID: 18883)

Shooter Lane Mylar

By NickBuffaloPinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04adb4dc252ef1b6f52ea6811b6be56f.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Does anyone sell pre-cut mylar for the shooter lane (I guess this would be tough to do...).

Or recommendations on who to purchase mylar from?

#2 11 years ago

Pinrestore.com sells mylar (not pre-cut).

#3 11 years ago

Just trim sling shot mylar. Cheap insurance! I do it to all my Sterns.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=304&parent=65

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Just trim sling shot mylar. Cheap insurance! I do it to all my Sterns.

Same here! Very easy and perfect result!

#5 11 years ago

The sling shot mylar will fit in the shooter lane?

#6 11 years ago

I'd be interested as well to see how you trim it down. What side / angle do you cut and what's the finished result look like? I wouldn't mind protecting my machines with some of this goodness

#8 11 years ago

I'd be interested in figuring out how to clean the existing makes in the wood.

Is there a bleach or something to take the black marks out of the lane where the wood is really chewed up?

Robert

#9 11 years ago

Mylar is ok.But I use GBC Self Seal Laminating sheets 3mil. www.gbc.com. You can get it at most office supply stores.This stuff is excellent . It is invisible. I use it on inserts that are showing wear. To cover raised inserts.Over decals. Cover ramp flaps the are not flush with playfield.Shooter lanes.Use rezor blade to trim around holes were switches need to go through playfield.Put over scoop holes and trim with razor blabe.Not as good as cliffy's.But will help if scoop damage is not to sever. Cover playfield magnets.This product is the bomb.You have to look very hard to detect it.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I'd be interested in figuring out how to clean the existing makes in the wood

Me to !! Please give Ideas that have worked for you. I know this question is off topic but it is a great question.

#11 11 years ago

The rounded part faces the trough. Start by trough and press down left to right. Use exto blade to trim by switch.

#12 11 years ago

We have some clear vinyl at work and I just use that. It's the same stuff that Pinball Pall sold to put around your flipper buttons. Much thinner thn Mylar and easier to stretch.
    I cut a 1"x10" strip and just press it down into the shooter lane until it takes the shape. I then use a small sharp triangular exacto knife to trim around the switch hole. Works great and it will never e an issue to peel up.
    I add the same stuff to my aprons where the ball commonly runs down. No more ball marks or damaged paint.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

We have some clear vinyl at work and I just use that. It's the same stuff that Pinball Pall sold to put around your flipper buttons. Much thinner thn Mylar and easier to stretch.
    I cut a 1"x10" strip and just press it down into the shooter lane until it takes the shape. I then use a small sharp triangular exacto knife to trim around the switch hole. Works great and it will never e an issue to peel up.
    I add the same stuff to my aprons where the ball commonly runs down. No more ball marks or damaged paint.

I use clear vinyle as well it has worked out great for me. Easy to work with and no residue if you need to take it off.

#14 11 years ago

I had ordered some of the vinyle portectors for my IM from Pinball Pal a couple months ago, but a few days later they sent me a sad note that the Owner suffered a very bad stroke and returned by money. I hope he is doing ok now..

Where could you purchase the Clear Vinyl, brand name, who makes it? Thanks,
    CHet

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Where could you purchase the Clear Vinyl, brand name, who makes it? Thanks,
    CHet

Not sure? We get it by the roll from an industrial printing supplier.
    Check eBay for adhesive clear vinyl sheets. I know they sell 8.5x11 sheets for printing on.

#16 11 years ago

Do you have a link for the vinyl? Thanks

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Me to !! Please give Ideas that have worked for you. I know this question is off topic but it is a great question.

Remove apron, remove switch, remove outer and inner rail, wrap sandpaper around the appropriate size socket and sand.
    Mask along center of inner rail, refinish with varathane.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Rubbing alcohol and Magic Eraser (melamine foam pad) Repeatedly compress and release a soaked pad over the stained area. The wetted foam pad acts like a vacuum and pulls the dirt right out.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Remove apron, remove switch, remove outer and inner rail, wrap sandpaper around the appropriate size socket and sand.
    Mask along center of inner rail, refinish with varathane.

Like this?
    http://crinear.smugmug.com/Pinball/Cactus-Canyon-resto/

#21 11 years ago

Lol! I am a huge fan of cliffy's stuff

#22 11 years ago

I'll bring my game over later today; please have it completed by the time I get back from China Lake.

Robert

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I'll bring my game over later today; please have it completed by the time I get back from China.

Robert

Hopefully you're taking a slow boat

#24 11 years ago

Thanks for Magic eraser info. I also put square on the in lanes where the ball drops. Can't even tell it's there.

#25 11 years ago

Test

04adb4dc252ef1b6f52ea6811b6be56f.jpg04adb4dc252ef1b6f52ea6811b6be56f.jpg

#26 11 years ago

Thanks for posting the tutorial Cliffy. Very helpul. Do you use spray Varathane in cans?

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Do you use spray Varathane in cans?

Mostly, yes, but not always. Depends on the job.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Mylar is ok.But I use GBC Self Seal Laminating sheets 3mil. http://www.gbc.com. You can get it at most office supply stores.This stuff is excellent . It is invisible. I use it on inserts that are showing wear. To cover raised inserts.Over decals. Cover ramp flaps the are not flush with playfield.Shooter lanes.Use rezor blade to trim around holes were switches need to go through playfield.Put over scoop holes and trim with razor blabe.Not as good as cliffy's.But will help if scoop damage is not to sever. Cover playfield magnets.This product is the bomb.You have to look very hard to detect it.

This ??
    http://www.amazon.com/Laminating-Letter-Size-Sheet-3mil-Clear/dp/B005P3EUH6

#30 11 years ago

I have 52"x 50yrd rolls of clear vinyl.

10 months later
    #31 10 years ago

Bump for new met owners.

#32 10 years ago

Staples has the self laminating strips and they work great.....

#33 10 years ago

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like MET is painted on either side of the shooter lane groove. Great candidate for Cliffys or mylar reinforcement.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Staples has the self laminating strips and they work great.....

Will they come up easily in a few years when they need to be replaced? Is the adhesive mild enough or is it super sticky?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Will they come up easily in a few years when they need to be replaced? Is the adhesive mild enough or is it super sticky?

Don't know about a few years but they come up nicely when I tested them, easy to trim and tailor to the area you want to use them in....

#36 10 years ago

Mylar is super sticky and strong which makes for no bubbles. You will not need to replace it in home use. Ever. I tried substitutes but nothing beats the pinball life sling Mylar. 50 cents.

#37 10 years ago

Great tips. Need to do this too.

#38 10 years ago

Just like that, comes out like gnu and I ain't lion.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-lane-mylar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.