IMG_2123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2247 (resized).jpg
IMG_2244 (resized).jpg
IMG_2249 (resized).jpg
P1010350 (resized).JPG
P1010348 (resized).JPG
P1010342 (resized).JPG
P1010341 (resized).JPG

There are 699 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 11 years ago

I decided rather than looking around for hours trying to find cool mods people have done to their JP, I'd just start a fresh thread to encompass them all. I have been slowly fixing up and modding my JP over the last month or so. I have done some custom powdercoating so far:

DSC02324.jpgDSC02324.jpg DSC02327.jpgDSC02327.jpg DSC02330.jpgDSC02330.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I have also been looking for new side art decals and was trying to find a reasonably priced ceramic ball for the captive egg shot. I haven't found either yet, but I'll keep looking. O

Over the weekend, I decided to go one step further and add some inner art, as the black insides just weren't cutting it. I had purchased a set of jungle themed inner art for my Congo, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized that the style and look of it were better suited for my JP. I decided to install it on Saturday, and man am I happy I did. It absolutely dressed the machine up with some color and gave the playfield a much needed three dimensional feel.

DSC02332.jpgDSC02332.jpg DSC02344.jpgDSC02344.jpg DSC02343.jpgDSC02343.jpg DSC02346.jpgDSC02346.jpg DSC02341.jpgDSC02341.jpg

#3 11 years ago

A few more pics of the inner art:

DSC02345.jpgDSC02345.jpg DSC02334.jpgDSC02334.jpg

Here you can see how the silhouetted palm trees and sunset in the back glass kinda has the same colors/ feel as the side art:

DSC02336.jpgDSC02336.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Looks great!

#5 11 years ago

I like the side art quite a bit. My playfield seems to rub on its own so don't know if I'd have room for any without having to take it out every time. I'd like to eventually get a powerball 'egg' too.

So far I've just changed out the lights to full LEDs, made the raptor pit glow red, and added trees and the Papo dino figures so I've got evil-looking pteradons and a raptor inside. I had a big Rex and Triceratops to put inside and they fit, but I have to move when flipping the playfield so they are on top right now. Oh, and color-changing under/behind cabinet lighting. I mostly decorated with posters and dino statues, but changed it up some yesterday to fit my new RFM in the space too. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Sorry, posting from work from my phone, no idea why the pics are sideways.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I like the side art quite a bit. My playfield seems to rub on its own so don't know if I'd have room for any without having to take it out every time.

Well technically, I installed this stuff with the playfield still in. I tilted it all the way back to nearly vertical, got the inner art taped in place from the front to back, then peeled and cut the backing from the front to about the center of the decal, then laid the front half of it down. I then removed another section of backing from the center and laid the art from the center to just past where the playfield was tilted up. I pivoted the playfield back down and finished smoothing the art from where I stopped to the back, having to trim only a very small corner of the back on either side to clear the blocks for the backbox. Seems to be about 3/32 of an inch of clearance on either side of my playfield so I can lift it without it rubbing the art.

I love your lighting mods, that is what's next for me.

#8 11 years ago

I went all out:

JP.jpgJP.jpg

#9 11 years ago

I know some people with the side mirrors say they have to take the mirrors off before they lift the playfield or it will rub. I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat with art or decals of any kind, because my playfield scrapes both sides every single time I lift it. I've looked and can't find anything abnormal, it's just apparently a tight fit.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I know some people with the side mirrors say they have to take the mirrors off before they lift the playfield or it will rub. I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat with art or decals of any kind, because my playfield scrapes both sides every single time I lift it. I've looked and can't find anything abnormal, it's just apparently a tight fit.

Well this stuff is adhesive backed, so removing it would not be an option. I thought the blades were adhesive backed as well?

#11 11 years ago

When I was looking into it I saw posts for ones that screwed in, some that had the full adhesive backs, and some that had pieces of adhesive tape in like 3 places to hold them on but so you can take them off more easily. I stopped looking when I realized I would screw mine up no matter what I got since it already rubs. Glad your art fits in yours though, it looks nice.

#12 11 years ago

could always put little felt like stickers on the playfield on the front and back sides, to keep it evenly spaced, as well has softly rub against the sides.

#13 11 years ago

could always put little felt like stickers on the playfield on the front and back sides, to keep it evenly spaced, as well has softly rub against the sides.

That's what the guy that sold it to me said as well, I may still do that, but currently I am having no rubbing issues. I still can't believe that this:

DSC02332.jpgDSC02332.jpg

was designed for Congo. Other than the sunset colors, it looks nothing like the style of the background art behind the playfield:

image-12.jpgimage-12.jpg

Lotta purples, grays and greens and a lot of detail in the original Congo art. The inner art is just black silhouettes.

#14 11 years ago

Cant wait to see if they actually come out with an updated Trex head.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Cant wait to see if they actually come out with an updated Trex head.

Even re-airbrushing the original and adding teeth would be an improvement.

#16 11 years ago

Phet, you have got to replace the factory Pteranodons. They just look like lumps of Play-Doh.

RM

JP004.jpgJP004.jpg JP005.jpgJP005.jpg JP006.jpgJP006.jpg JP007.jpgJP007.jpg JP009.jpgJP009.jpg

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Phet, you have got to replace the factory Pteranodons. They just look like lumps of Play-Doh.
RM

Russ, the wingspans look to be about 8 feet on those things. How do you see the playfield?

#19 11 years ago

I might put some LEDs in mine pretty soon.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Russ, the wingspans look to be about 8 feet on those things. How do you see the playfield?

I know they look that way, but they don't obscure the playfield at all.

You can play around with how they mount and where quite a bit until it looks good and doesn't bother you while playing.

Trust me, once a game starts, it's not a problem.

RussM

#21 11 years ago

Phet, I love the inner side art! Nice job and thanks for the tip.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

Phet, I love the inner side art! Nice job and thanks for the tip.

Thanks brotha. I am really happy I decided to put this stuff in my JP, looks so much better than it would have in Congo.

#23 11 years ago

I have 2 of the Papo pteradons on my playfield, and you can see fine. I've got one attached to the right inlane so any ball going there makes it 'fly.'

#24 11 years ago

I wish I could find a couple Turu the Terrible figures from Jonny Quest. Then I'd change out my play dough ones.

Turu.jpgTuru.jpg

#25 11 years ago

I designed these scoop light icons. They'll be available for sale this week, PM me if you want to be on the list

I also designed some nice black apron insert cards and I've added some palm trees.

ScoopLights.jpgScoopLights.jpg Cards.jpgCards.jpg Trees.jpgTrees.jpg

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I designed these scoop light icons. They'll be available for sale this week, PM me if you want me to notify you
I also designed some nice black apron insert cards and I've added some palm trees.

Well, how much will the icons cost? Like the palm trees too, I'll have to go down to the hobby shop and grab some of those.

#27 11 years ago

I'm just finalising the pricing at the moment. Looking like around $100. I'll let you know when I launch the store if you like, just send me a PM

#28 11 years ago

Anybody ever make an alt translite for JP? Don't think I've ever seen one, but I'd love to see less people, more dinos. The original isn't really that bad though. I like the T-rex against the sunset, and at least you can tell who the characters are supposed to be, unlike the playfield.

#29 11 years ago

DAMN IT! I love the icons. Looks like the signs in the movie. I was going to add trees all over mine too. I'm already sad my JP is gone, and this makes me want it back even more. You better have these mods available a year from now when I buy it back.

#30 11 years ago

As long as there are people interested I'm sure I can keep making them

#31 11 years ago

I can't wait til this mod is finally done:

before_after_t-rex.jpgbefore_after_t-rex.jpg

#32 11 years ago

Ad an egg teeth etc.

DSC_0839.jpgDSC_0839.jpg DSC_0816.jpgDSC_0816.jpg

#33 11 years ago

Those teeth look awesome! That photo angle makes it look like t-rex is doing a denture smile Love it.

#34 11 years ago

He he.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#35 11 years ago

#36 11 years ago

Can you start one for TFTC since that is my first game which I just purchased and belive you did as well not to long ago.

#37 11 years ago

Well I got 2 mods done over the long weekend. First up, I got my Danger Side Rails done. I was gonna have these done in powdercoat, but I already had color matched enamel paint, so I painted them myself. These were my original, beat side rails. I figured I had nothing to lose by experimenting on them, as if it didn't work quite right, at least I'd have a good pattern for the powdercoaters to emulate. Well, it did work. I sanded, primed and painted them caution yellow (2 coats primer, 3 coats yellow, sanding lightly between coats). I then let the last yellow coat cure for 48-60 hours (16 of which were in front of my fireplace) before using 1/4" and 3/4" green masking tape to create the diagonal caution lines. After laying down the tape, I burnished it all with a soft cloth to make sure the edges were tight. I then sprayed one coat of double strength primer, then 2 coats satin black within an hour of the primer coat. I immediately peeled the tape, to prevent tearing the paint later on. I then let the paint cure for 48 hours (again, 16 of which were in front of my fireplace). When it had cured, I gave the whole rail a light sanding, removing the ridge lines and any fuzzy edges. I then hit the whole rail with 3 coats satin clear. I let that cure 24 hours before installing the rails. They turned out exactly as I had envisioned them. I have stenciled a ton of arcade cabinets, so I guess that skill came in handy here. Pics:

Heat curing. One with base coat, one with stencil finished:

DSC02358.jpgDSC02358.jpg

One rail ready to be installed:

DSC02350.jpgDSC02350.jpg

Installed with hardware and new red button in place:

DSC02369.jpgDSC02369.jpg

#38 11 years ago

Both sides done:

DSC02379.jpgDSC02379.jpg DSC02392.jpgDSC02392.jpg DSC02380.jpgDSC02380.jpg

#39 11 years ago

Close up:

DSC02390.jpgDSC02390.jpg DSC02349.jpgDSC02349.jpg

#40 11 years ago

The other mod I added was a new light bar for the banner. This is just a small LED strip added to the back wall below the back box to illuminate the banner and to add some light to the otherwise dark back drop:

DSC02383.jpgDSC02383.jpg DSC02376.jpgDSC02376.jpg DSC02377.jpgDSC02377.jpg DSC02375.jpgDSC02375.jpg DSC02373.jpgDSC02373.jpg DSC02382.jpgDSC02382.jpg

#41 11 years ago

And this gives you an idea of what a difference it makes.

Before the light mod:

DSC02343.jpgDSC02343.jpg

After:

DSC02383.jpgDSC02383.jpg

Before:

DSC02346.jpgDSC02346.jpg

After:

DSC02373.jpgDSC02373.jpg

#42 11 years ago

love the side rails. Really makes JP stand out from the other games. Nicely done. Nice to see some DE getting some major loving.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

love the side rails. Really makes JP stand out from the other games. Nicely done. Nice to see some DE getting some major loving.

Thanks man. Yeah, they add a lot to the visual appeal. Now I need to get the full decal kit to complete this machine. I wish someone made stencils, but a decal will be easier.

#44 11 years ago

I think it looks good. I've thought about doing the light strip before too, but never have gotten around to it. Is it wired in somehow or does it run seperate?

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I think it looks good. I've thought about doing the light strip before too, but never have gotten around to it. Is it wired in somehow or does it run seperate?

Right now it's just plugged into the service outlet. It has a separate on/off switch. I will be hardwiring it to the 12V line at some point, or at the very least, rewiring the service outlet to the power switch and just keeping the adapter plugged in. It's pretty simple to do, but for now, this was easier.

#46 11 years ago

I will say it here too. You really outdid youself Phet!

#47 11 years ago

Nice work phetishboy! Looks awesome. You've paid lots of attention to the cabinet, now you need to complete the playfield by adding some trees, a raptor and the LoopCombo.com scoop light mod to really complete the look, haha.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Nice work phetishboy! Looks awesome. You've paid lots of attention to the cabinet, now you need to complete the playfield by adding some trees, a raptor and the LoopCombo.com scoop light mod to really complete the look, haha.

I agree. One thing at a time though. I need to decal this cab or stencil it before I do much else. All these nice mods added to a semi-beat cabinet are starting to make me recite the old saying 'Lipstick on a pig" more and more in my head.

#49 11 years ago

It's easy to find vector-based versions of the Jurassic Park logo and I wouldn't be surprised if someone has made a free JP font that you can use to create the assets on the front of the cab (if you also need to redo the front. The hardest part would be the back box sides with the trees. You'd have to photograph and trace it I reckon.

#50 11 years ago

Yellow powder coating, black striped rails, inside cabinet decals and light bar look great and very professionally done. Definately need to find the topper now and when Matt's T-Rex head comes out you should be set.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 699 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-jurassic-park-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.