(Topic ID: 63674)

Shadow sanctum target problem - SOLVED!!!!!!

By Rarehero

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-975.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys - my Shadow's had this weird issue for a while now. The sanctum target goes up/down/up/down ...as if it's "confused"...and eventually will just stay down. Keep in mind this isn't a normal drop target so it's not an issue of catching on the lip. The coil/peg that holds the target up is firing to drop the target.

I've completely gone over the mech. Totally cleaned it, installed new coils & switch. Everything checks out in test. The optos in front of the target also check out fine in test. Even so - it still does the weird up/down/up/down behavior.

What am I missing here? I'm thinking I might have a switch matrix board issue at this point...but thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Poor connection at another switch or connector. All part of the switch matrix.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Toooo vague....lol

#4 10 years ago

I was ready for this to be a different Pinsider I know who's been struggling with the Sanctum target. I think we determined last night that the manual might be wrong about the wire colors to the small and large coils. Here's what mine (working) looks like on the off chance that's it, I took a pic for him.

If it's not clear from the photo it's red/black on the big coil, red/brown on the little one. I believe he said the manual had that reversed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

One switch, two wires. One long jumper wire, alligator clips both ends.

Hook jumper to one wire, and then to another wire farther away at another switch, same color wire.

Then check ? then try the other side, at least narrow it to one wire.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One switch, two wires. One long jumper wire, alligator clips both ends.
Hook jumper to one wire, and then to another wire farther away at another switch, same color wire.
Then check ? then try the other side, at least narrow it to one wire.

Thank yooouuuuu!!!

#7 10 years ago

I didn't do the jumper thing, but I tested all the wires in that column with a multimeter and they all had connectivity...but actually I'm starting to think it's not a wiring issue and perhaps my initial prognosis was wrong.

OK - so - scratch my previous thought about the drop peg/coil is firing to let the target down....I think it's just not always catching when it tries to pop up. Eventually it just "gives up" and stays down (maybe that's intentional in the software?). I tried it up and down a few times in the test menu, and when testing up, it wouldn't always catch the peg and stay up. Still - I can't figure out why it wouldn't catch 100% when in the machine ...when I have the mech out & test it by hand everything seems fine.

Grumble....

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Still - I can't figure out why it wouldn't catch 100% when in the machine ...when I have the mech out & test it by hand everything seems fine.
Grumble....

Because stuff & junk...that's just the way it goes!

#9 10 years ago

If it fails the software shuts it down or something...drops it permanently I think. You have to power cycle or open the door I think to reset the normal behaviour again.

Sounds like a mechanical issue to me, something worn out down there? Bushing/pivot point maybe?

#10 10 years ago

Also if you have a divot where the ball sits, even a small one. It can cause the drop target to act really weird. I tested mine by using some paper over the tiny divot to flatten it out. Then it worked fine. So I filled the small hole and painted over it...

2 months later
#11 10 years ago

Did you ever figure it out? My Shadow does the same thing.

#12 10 years ago

I had this with mine, it was a mechanical issue with the pin not locking it in place properly, good luck!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I had this with mine, it was a mechanical issue with the pin not locking it in place properly, good luck!

So what was the solution? New pin? New brick target?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It was ages ago but I seem to remember that part of it just needed filing down as over the years it had peened over, I put a new wall target on at the same time in any case, its been working fine for years since

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So what was the solution? New pin?

Sell your Shadow to me, and I will make it work.

#16 10 years ago

I seem to remember that the switches behind the Sanctum in the lock area can cause issues with the target - maybe worth checking those too.

4 months later
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you ever figure this out? The three metal linkage pieces from the coil to the target can get worn so the drop target won't always raise high enough to be locked in place. Replacing these parts can sure it up.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did you ever figure this out? The three metal linkage pieces from the coil to the target can get worn so the drop target won't always raise high enough to be locked in place. Replacing these parts can sure it up.

Nah, it's been dead in the garage forever....I stole a ribbon cable from it to save my ToM, and haven't bought a new one yet. Once I do, I'll try to get this game fixed for good finally.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, it's been dead in the garage forever....I stole a ribbon cable from it to save my ToM, and haven't bought a new one yet. Once I do, I'll try to get this game fixed for good finally.

I ordered two sets of parts . However I was able to rig up the old ones to make it work. Not good to play it with the drop target staying down as it goes into a default and holds the ball on the magnet for a long time, thus wearing the usual spot.

#20 9 years ago

http://www.pinballheaven.co.uk/shop/the-shadow-pg-18.html?CDpath=3

this helped me with the same problem as you...instead of ordering the recommended parts I just used two pair of large pliers to bend my existing part to work better...have not had a problem with it since

scroll to bottom

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, it's been dead in the garage forever....I stole a ribbon cable from it to save my ToM.

Boooo!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I stole a ribbon cable from it to save my ToM,

I traded my ToM to get a Shadow.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I traded my ToM to get a Shadow.

I'm not getting rid of Shadow, but I "only" (lol) keep 17 pins in the house. At any given time SOMETHING's gotta be in the garage....usually it's games that need some work that I don't feel like doing any time soon. I just kicked out WH2O cuz it's got way too much stuff I gotta fix/tweak....but that's OK, cuz my new-ish POTC got to come inside!

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

SOMETHING's gotta be in the garage..

My Big Hurt got bumped to the garage. But it is in good company.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My Big Hurt got bumped to the garage. But it is in good company.

Thinking of kicking out BOP until the 2.0 kit shows up in a few months ....which should I bring in - Road Show, Getaway, or BK2K? Those 3 have no issues at the moment. Dr. Who is resetting, Shadow is boned, and BSD has CPU issues.

#26 9 years ago

These two both get plenty of action in my living room (game room), but now that Nimblepin is a regular BK2k has become a war zone between us. Plus after you are done playing epic games on others, BK2K can give you that quick, just one more fix. i've never been a big fan of Roadshow, but others seem to like it.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

These two both get plenty of action in my living room (game room), but now that Nimblepin is a regular BK2k has become a war zone between us. Plus after you are done playing epic games on others, BK2K can give you that quick, just one more fix. i've never been a big fan of roadshow, but others seem to like it.

I tend to play BK2K fooooreeever. One of those games that's hard at first but once you get a hang of the geometry, you can keep the ball in play for quite some time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not my quick-fix game

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I tend to play BK2K fooooreeever. One of those games that's hard at first but once you get a hang of the geometry, you can keep the ball in play for quite some time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not my quick-fix game

I hear what you are saying. I have mine on a very steep pitch, and although I'd like to think every game was going to be epic, it doesn't always turn out that way.

2 months later
#29 9 years ago

Ok - dunno why I didn't notice the wear on these parts sooner - but here's the official problem - the pivot bracket and the metal pivot piece that goes thru it were totally ground down!!! That gives these pieces just enough slack that it won't consistently push the wall up. New parts ordered!!!

image-975.jpgimage-975.jpg
#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ok - dunno why I didn't notice the wear on these parts sooner - but here's the official problem - the pivot bracket and the metal pivot piece that goes thru it were totally ground down!!! That gives these pieces just enough slack that it won't consistently push the wall up. New parts ordered!!!

image-975.jpg 58 KB

It's a really poorly designed part. When I had my shadow, I had someone build that area up with a welder and make a wide surface for the pin to slide against. More surface area, far less wear potential. New parts should have been designed with that in mind.

I see the same wear potential on the MET snake jaw latch.

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-sanctum-target-problem-im-just-stuuuuumped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.