Screw gameplay...Whats the best looking pin?? Opinions!!

Started 1 year ago by Rick471 in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

Screw gameplay...Whats the best looking pin?? Opinions!!

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by Rick471
  • 76 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from aeneas

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Saw the opposite thread, but I think this one will be more fun.

Whats the best looking pin, regardless if it plays well or not!!??

And,,,,,,go!!

I personally vote for TOTAN,,,its pretty!!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

CFTBL .... all_the_way

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Agree, CFTBL &TOTAN, but Centaur is just primeval beauty to me.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Fathom!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN ftw

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

There is more than one beautiful pin. It changes based on what is trying to be moved lol...;););) I am ready to "Buy It Now" on all of them LOL;););) That guy has the best!

ebay.com link » 1995 Bally Theatre of Magic Pinball Machine Hurry Before It Vanishes

Slate

Pinball addict
    1,050,300 3
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Cabinet and Translite I would say CFTBL (playfield is a tad dim)

For overall TOTAN.

But I have to admit all of John P games are awesome looking. (TOTAN, CV, TOM)

My vote is for any John P games!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN, Centaur, Fathom, TOM, are awesome-

Big Juicy Melons for the win

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Totan for me!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    jimjim66 said:

TOTAN, Centaur, Fathom, TOM, are awesome-
    Big Juicy Melons for the win

Mmmmm melons

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Slate said:

Cabinet and Translite I would say CFTBL (playfield is a tad dim)

Clean ramps, clean pf, and lit pops change everything.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN, CV, Centaur.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I would honestly say whitewater. Great playfield (how can you not like mountains and water, and a waterslide ramp?), and there is hands down no other topper as pretty with the animated water, it reminds me of beer signs in bars

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Thumbs up for Whitewater! Not my fav but is a very good lookin pin...

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN has to be tops

RGR

Pinball master
    2,533,400 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

The Whitewater topper would have to be the best out there... Very clever.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I will +4 the topper on WH20.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Not sure if I would say it is the best but I like Corvette. And as others mentioned, TOTAN, CV and TOM are pretty too for the newer games. There are a lot of older pins which are just beautiful, such as Xenon.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Totan

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Twilight Zone, big fan of the theme

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I'll say Star Race. Beautiful game but a lousy player.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Silverball Mania - truly high art.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN is tops in my book also love how Fathom & Silverball Mania look as well.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I will go against the grain a little bit (TOTAN of course no brainer...) and vote for JD and Genie!

For backglass, I vote 'Viper' from Stern...

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

CV just cause it pops so much. Bk2k is my number one fave. Lately, I have been really drawn to Judge Dredd.

system11

Pinball master
    2,152,950 9
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TOTAN or Fathom, nothing else comes close really.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TRON LE is my favorite, and I like the gameplay too

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

CV is purdy

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Popadiuk/Deal FTW

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TRON LE, then CV

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Both Totan or Tom

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Xenon is beautiful but I'd also have to put a vote in for Flash Gordon. TOTAN is definitely a looker too.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

We had this thread before. I personally prefer to play DMD's, but nothing can match Paragon for its beauty.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I must agree Gone Fishin, from the day I first saw her Paragon is my favorite

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Agree with Centaur. I can't believe Phantom of the Opera hasn't been mentioned.

Actually, anything by Paul Faris FTW! Paragon backglass is a masterpiece.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

cv

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I like TOTAN, and TOM. Tron's LE playfield is cool but the cabinet is so generic compared to the older titles.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

CV looks like a clown puked on it

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Em's,would have to be Gottlieb,Early solid state,Bally's.Later solid state Williams,Then Dot matrix -Williams-Bally.Sorry guys but you Can't beat the beauty of the early EM's

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

MM needs to be in the conversation. I agree with TOTAN, TOM, WH2O and Centaur as well. You gotta like purple to like CV (which I don't). IM, TRON LE and Avatar all get a lot of looks as modern pins. Adding LED's to any pin will make it look better.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    cdnpinballer said:

Actually, anything by Paul Faris FTW! Paragon backglass is a masterpiece.

The winged barbarian's upper body looks out of perspective and out of proportion to his leg along with his giant head, and his face (Faris) is expressionless. The babe (Faris' wife) looks almost bored that she's half a second from being mauled. The manticore-like beast looks awkward with the carefully placed left paw and splayed right claw. Is it going to swat or bite? The three important elements don't jive together well.

If I were to frame this painting, it would be complimented by being placed on the wall in between other 'masterpieces' like Dogs Playing Poker and Velvet Elvis. His Lost World backglass was much better.

The playfield is very detailed and much better than the backglass though.

Faris is definitely talented with painting skills but he obviously had a tendency to appropriate his concepts from other popular artists/themes at the time, i.e. Space Invaders/HR Giger, Eightball/Happy Days. I'm sure he was influenced by Heavy Metal magazine, bitd, as well. In Paragon's case, no doubt he was inspired by a true painter of masterpieces, Frank Frazetta: http://www.frankfrazetta.net/Gallery_1.html.

...but he didn't get it quite right, imho.

But, again, he got it perfect with Xenon. That game shines in a line-up.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    OTTOgd said:

If I were to frame this painting, it would be complimented by being placed on the wall in between other 'masterpieces' like Dogs Playing Poker and Velvet Elvis. His Lost World backglass was much better.

Different strokes for different folks. Aren't you the guy who likes the Data East photo backglasses? So bad it's good type comments from you? Not sure if I can take your opinion seriously. Comparing Faris' art to dogs playing poker is sacrilege. How dare you.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

+23,456 for TOTAN

CV is a very nice looking machine as well, but TOTAN's cab art and translite are better IMO.

I really like the pf artwork on the 70s and 80s bally/williams machines as well (maybe even more than the 90s machines), but the cab artwork isn't great. So, based on the machine as a whole (pf, lighting, cab, and translite/backglass) I'll go with TOTAN.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I am gonna say MB and Xenon.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Fireball II - IMO, one of the most gorgeous backglasses in pinball history. Playfield also excellent.

AFM - Brilliant.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    cdnpinballer said:

Different strokes for different folks. Aren't you the guy who likes the Data East photo backglasses? So bad it's good type comments from you? Not sure if I can take your opinion seriously. Comparing Faris' art to dogs playing poker is sacrilege. How dare you.

No, I compared the Paragon backglass to the Dogs Playing Poker, not his art in general. Faris does have talent.

Take the rose-coloured Paragon glasses off and take a good look at the backglass painting; technically and anatomically, it's not that great, and using his and his wife's likenesses with bored expressions doesn't help. Like I said, his earlier Lost World was executed better overall but less dynamic. He was inspired by Frazetta but the complicated scene he intended to create was beyond his abilities.

Arguably 'sacrilegious' is Faris' controversial mimicry of popular artists and use of cultural likenesses to sell pinball machines then stating that they were not influential at all, calling it coincidence to avoid legal trouble.

Yes, Gottlieb System 80 photo translites. Obvious rip-offs of popular culture as well, and I would love to have room for a Hollywood Heat and Genesis in my line-up. Already have TX-Sector and love it. Good or bad, great representation on the 80's. Raven, I pass.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,298,523 3
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

TRON LE has the best looking PF in my opinion. MB, TOTAN, CV, ToM, and Fathom are great looking pins.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple