Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Syco54645
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b32e2318-dec5-491f-ab05-39bda538b719_400.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Do most people just buy rings yourself or do you just let someone else handle the selection and get a kit?

I know I could save a few bucks if I bought them all myself but the kit has the added convenience of not having to make sure I got the right ones.

What do you guys do?

#2 10 years ago

After buying one or two kits and realizing they're ALWAYS missing something I just loaded up on 20-50 of every size rubber pinball life stocks and got a little tray organizer thing from Home Depot. IMO this is the only way to go, you will always have the rubber size you need and can do full game "shop outs" on demand

b32e2318-dec5-491f-ab05-39bda538b719_400.jpgb32e2318-dec5-491f-ab05-39bda538b719_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Akro-Mils-44-Combo-Drawer-Small-Parts-Storage-Cabinet-10144/203538913?N=5yc1vZc28p

#3 10 years ago

There are always incorrect and/or missing band sizes in most ring kits
    +1 for Fattrain with buying your own individual ones (get a few more than you think you will need especially Slingshot rings and the smaller/smallest rings)

#4 10 years ago

Forget the game kits. Third fattrains way. If you don't want to spend too much Pinball Life has a 125 piece nice assortment kit that I'm still picking through after several shop outs.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=486

#5 10 years ago

I have less experience than many, but it might be that the kits are a little supplier dependent. I have done two games and found them to be perfect (PBRESOURCES and MARCO). My kits include a note saying that if there is an error to let them know and I suspect the next kit out the door is corrected... so at least some times (2/2 for me) the kits are right. My games are late (1976) EM games... if you have a rare game its probably more likely to be wrong as less people have had a chance to correct the kits. I just don't have the room to stock all the stuff I would need so its easier to order the kits and hope they are good... the supplier will send correct stuff if its wrong so for me, the odd chance its wrong is corrected in a few days waiting for the mail. Not a big deal to me. But I fully understand that yes- they might be wrong. If you need the game working as soon as you open the kit, thats probably not the way to go... if its sitting in your house and you can handle it not being completed right away the kits are nice and easy and worth the money to ME.

#6 10 years ago

There are some games which have incorrect rubber diagrams/lists in the manual. I think these are the likely sources of most of the problems.
    I order them myself and grab a at least one extra of each size.

#7 10 years ago

I order the kits, but like fattrain I have a complete set of rubber that I can go to for missing or incorrect rings.

#8 10 years ago

i have never successfully replaced all rubbers on a game using a kit

#9 10 years ago

I think there are a few sizes not made anymore... like 2.75" or 1.75" maybe that get subbed in kits. Usually the sub is the next size larger, which i find incorrect. Typically the one size smaller works better. Some of the huge rings on EMs too I think are obsolete.

That may be the reason for some of the kit descrepancies.

#10 10 years ago

Before Gene stopped his operations, you could get a monster bag for $15 at the shows in great colors like orange and purple.

Keep your rubber in air-tight bags so they stay soft and fresh.

I've got sizes they don't make any more in vacuum bags in the fridge.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Before Gene stopped his operations, you could get a monster bag for $15 at the shows in great colors like orange and purple.
    Keep your rubber in air-tight bags so they stay soft and fresh.

Hopefully you are not drunk, hungry, and disoriented.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's what Dalmer said.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Hopefully you are not drunk, hungry, and disoriented.

I usually am.

#14 10 years ago

I had good success with actionpinball.com rubber kits. With my High Speed, they gave me 2 5 inch rings for the back area on HS, which is correct, but other vendors only give 1 ring or just don't include it altogether. With another game coming, I'am gonna do what fattrain did, and get an organizer and have an assortment of them.

#15 10 years ago

This is what I buy. I usually buy 2 or 3 at a time. Works out great.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=122&pg=1

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rubber-kits-vs-buying-them-yourself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.