(Topic ID: 89456)

RotorDaves Route 66 odyssey is underway ....

By rotordave

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,057 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
JFgrin.jpeg
image-918.jpg
image.jpg
image-258.jpg
image-677.jpg
image-829.jpg
image-441.jpg
image-141.jpg
image-527.jpg
RD trailer.jpg
Psssst....jpeg
Downwind.jpg
207575-v2.jpg
modelo-218.jpg
th-87.jpeg

There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.
#1 9 years ago

Well, I'm here....

A lot of guys asked me to send pics of the Route 66 trip, so I started this thread.

I'll update it as I travel across the USA, when I have wifi.

The pictures will just be iPhone pics, I don't have any way to upload my good pics out on the road. They are what they are.

We spent a week in Los Angeles first, haven't been there for a while. Hasn't really changed much ...

Well, Disneyland has doubled the price ($130 USD for a one day pass) and also got insanely busy. We were there on a Wednesday which should usually be quiet, and there was like 50,000 people there. People were queuing an hour for a "fast pass". Mental. The RD trick is do "single rider" when ever you can ... my longest wait was the new Cars ride which was 35-40 mins. The normal queue was 120 minutes.

We went to Pinball Land in Santa Ana on Saturday for the Mustang Launch Party. Cool setup down there, a good mix of DMD and classic titles. Ron and team were lovely hosts, even shouting us a few drinks for "being from another continent"

After that I had the privilege of meeting a hep cat and seeing his private setup up in the hills. He knows he has to send me his 50s Ford pickup truck when he's done with it ...

Otherwise we just spent the week driving around the city, which is what I like to do. Well, usually I like to walk everywhere, but you can't do that in L.A, it's just too spread out.

rd

image-663.jpgimage-663.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Can't wait to see what this thread brings. Safe travels.

#3 9 years ago

The meals in the States haven't decreased in size ... Add in a Double Gulp soda and you're on a winner!

Or having a heart attack. Take your pick.

image-179.jpgimage-179.jpg

#4 9 years ago

Something tells me this is going to be one of the more interesting threads for the next few weeks.
Safe travels.

#5 9 years ago

While in Los Angeles, I hit solid gold in the 99c shop.

Pinsiders favorite beverage. Except Carl, he prefers Pepsi products.

image-848.jpgimage-848.jpg

#6 9 years ago

We flew into Chicago yesterday night. Got this cool pic of the city out the plane window.

Hope it comes up ok here. The city was shrouded in rain and looked quite dark and menacing.

image-317.jpgimage-317.jpg

#7 9 years ago

We drove down to DeMotte, Indiana today to collect the hearse for the Route 66 trip.

The funeral home website said the address was 621 N Hallett Street, we looked and looked and finally found the address which was a house (!!!) I went in there and knocked on the door ... Nobody there ... Went around back, all around, place was deserted. I thought, this can't be right ... I went next door to a store, and they knew where the home was, it was a mile down the road at 621 S Hallett Street ... Dohhhh! Lucky 621 N Hallett wasn't home or I might have got some shotgun pellets for my troubles!

When we got to the home, the funeral director was waiting. He was a nice guy ... I asked him why the address is wrong on his website and he's like "I've asked them to change it but they won't" Time for a new web company buddy!

The good news .. The hearse is pretty mint! It has a little rust around the back door handle which I knew of, otherwise for a 1993 car it is very good indeed. The air con even works! It's only done 60,000 miles.

PS the guy also has a 1997 White Caddy hearse for sale ... Looks mint. Don't know the price.

image-99.jpgimage-99.jpg

#8 9 years ago

Safe journeys my friend. Have a great trip !

LTG : )™

#9 9 years ago

Dave, sorry you couldn't make it by the other night when you were in the area. It was a good time! But I've got a little something waiting for you when you get back to the west coast.
DSCN2633.JPGDSCN2633.JPG

#10 9 years ago

Enjoy your trip to the states! Tell your daughter hello from us and good luck in the tournament! Keep those updates and pics coming. BigB

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We drove down to DeMotte, Indiana today to collect the hearse for the Route 66 trip.
The funeral home website said the address was 621 N Hallett Street, we looked and looked and finally found the address which was a house (!!!) I went in there and knocked on the door ... Nobody there ... Went around back, all around, place was deserted. I thought, this can't be right ... I went next door to a store, and they knew where the home was, it was a mile down the road at 621 S Hallett Street ... Dohhhh! Lucky 621 N Hallett wasn't home or I might have got some shotgun pellets for my troubles!
When we got to the home, the funeral director was waiting. He was a nice guy ... I asked him why the address is wrong on his website and he's like "I've asked them to change it but they won't" Time for a new web company buddy!
The good news .. The hearse is pretty mint! It has a little rust around the back door handle which I knew of, otherwise for a 1993 car it is very good indeed. The air con even works! It's only done 60,000 miles.
PS the guy also has a 1997 White Caddy hearse for sale ... Looks mint. Don't know the price.

Forget the hearse cause you'll never die!
You got nine lives... cat's eyes
using every one of them and running wild

#12 9 years ago

Have fun Dave! Looking forward to following It!

#13 9 years ago

Have a blast RD & family

#15 9 years ago

Did you buy the hearse?

#16 9 years ago

Not sure if your travels are bringing you to the Southeast, but if so, I'm sure there's a few gamerooms here in NC that would happily open up for a visit including my own. Safe travels!

#17 9 years ago

Great stuff! Looking forward to this thread for a long time! I hope you brought meat pies to share!

#19 9 years ago

Hope you and little RD take home the trophies!!! Cheers!!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The meals in the States haven't decreased in size

Are you complaining? You could always try "plate splitting", when available. My wife brought a Maggianos "take home" meal with her the other day and i ate it for lunch and dinner and one of my kids also had a serving for dinner. True story.

Safe travels, my friend.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Great stuff! Looking forward to this thread for a long time! I hope you brought meat pies to share!

I was soooooo going to bring a 12 pack of Mince and Cheese pies!

But having a 12 hour flight, then a week in L.A., plus another 4 hour flight, plus no refrigeration would equal ...

PIE APOCALYPSE!

I wouldn't want to food poison my Pinside pals!

rd.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Are you complaining? You could always try "plate splitting", when available. My wife brought a Maggianos "take home" meal with her the other day and i ate it for lunch and dinner

That's what we do ... Split the meals. They are just too big.

Danni and I split those ribs between us. And good they were too!

rd.

#23 9 years ago

That is what I expected. Nothing worse than a bunch of putrified meat pies and some drunken midwestern pinheads eating them and getting sick...

Curious >> Do you drink burbon RD?

#24 9 years ago

Man the Griswolds have got nothing on you RD!! This is the ULTIMATE vacation !! Simply. Awesome. Safe travels bro.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is what I expected. Nothing worse than a bunch of putrified meat pies and some drunken midwestern pinheads eating them and getting sick...
Curious >> Do you drink burbon RD?

Occasionally ... Like Gary Stern, vodka would probably be my first choice.

Might be limited to a few beers on this trip though, I don't think Fiona is too keen to pilot the hearse. It's massive!

rd.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man the Griswolds have got nothing on you RD!! This is the ULTIMATE vacation !! Simply. Awesome. Safe travels bro.

Thanks!

The Griswolds are our big inspiration for the trip! "Hi Holmes!"

I can't wait to strap a body to the roof. Because there won't be room inside .. It's full of pins!

Holiday roadddddddddd!

rd.

#27 9 years ago

Watch out for this woman Rotor, she is a homewrecker, might be Patty J's mom.

NationalLampoonsVacation_onesheet_USA-6.jpgNationalLampoonsVacation_onesheet_USA-6.jpg

#28 9 years ago

Super thread Dave... Will be reading this daily..

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The meals in the States haven't decreased in size ... Add in a Double Gulp soda and you're on a winner!
Or having a heart attack. Take your pick.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Have fun Dave! Looking forward to following It!

Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Have a blast RD & family

Thanks guys, and also thanks to the other kiwis that emailed.

rd.

#31 9 years ago

RD is in the states...cool !

Love the hearse too... i had one for years

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Love the hearse too... i had one for years

And someday we all will ride in one.

#33 9 years ago

The weather has been crap up in Chicago today. I wanted to walk around and check out the city ... But it's been too wet.

Did an Architect Society tour at the Merchandise Mart building. This was the biggest building in the world when it was built in the 1920s. 4,200,000 sq foot. It takes up two city blocks.

And I got insurance on the Hearse! $200 for 6 months with State Farm. Even though I only need 1 month. Oh well, cheap enough and I have to have it or my ass will be in a sling.

Went to Guiliana and Bills restaurant for dinner. Big place ... Had a queue out the door at 630pm. Luckily Fiona booked 3 months ago. . Food was good, wasn't too pricey.

image-503.jpgimage-503.jpg

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

And someday we all will ride in one.

Nothing truer!

rd

#35 9 years ago

Hit up the sears tower (or whatever it is now called) if the skys are clear in the morning.

#36 9 years ago

The offer still stands if you'd like to stop in for a bit and play a few games in the Milwaukee area. I should be around this weekend if your plans have you coming anywhere near the southside of Milwaukee.

If not, I'll follow your travels in this thread because it's going to be fun to see what you discover as you work your way across the US.

Dave

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Did an Architect Society tour at the Merchandise Mart building. This was the biggest building in the world when it was built in the 1920s. 4,200,000 sq foot. It takes up two city blocks.

image-503.jpg 147 KB

Did you notice the upside down Williams logo in the corridors? There was one at the main entrance in early March. I was in the building last week but did not use the main entrance so not sure if that sign is still there.

IMAG2234.jpgIMAG2234.jpg
#38 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Did you notice the upside down Williams logo in the corridors? There was one at the main entrance in early March. I was in the building last week but did not use the main entrance so not sure if that sign is still there.

IMAG2234.jpg 280 KB

Yes, the MM logo does look a little like an upside down Williams logo .. There are the big Ms on the floor (reportedly standing for Marshall Fields who built the place in the 20s for $35m) and this main MM logo.

image-986.jpgimage-986.jpg

rd.

#39 9 years ago

I meant the Motorola logo that looks like an upside down Williams "W". The MM logo is everywhere including the grand lobby crown and even the elevators..

IMAG1321.jpgIMAG1321.jpg
#40 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

\ Well, usually I like to walk everywhere, but you can't do that in L.A, it's just too spread out.
rd

image-663.jpg 181 KB

Nobody walks in LA

#41 9 years ago

All the tourist walk in LA...well, let's narrow it down, they all walk on hollywood blvd.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I meant the Motorola logo that looks like an upside down Williams "W"

Yeah that does ...

They have three whole floors. That's a lot of square footage!

rd.

#43 9 years ago

Definitely check out some of the museums in Chicago. I went there as a kid and those museums blew my mind.

#44 9 years ago

PLease get out of Chicago...nice town but any place that puts pickles on a hot dog is just the pits.

#45 9 years ago

Just saw the thread Dave. Hope you all have a great time and you and Danni do well at IFPA.

Cheers
Paul

#46 9 years ago

rd,

Are you and the family gonna take in a tour of Stern factory this week?

If so, offer to take Gary and Gomez for a Blues Brothers style cruise around town in the pin hearse, and then fill us in on the highlights.

#47 9 years ago

Glad to hear you got there safe and sound Dave . Looks like you all are having a great time . Can't wait to get over there now . See you soon .

#48 9 years ago

Ah, shit.

Is your plan to go to Lyons, RD? If so.... I'll meet you there. And buy you some good beer.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Ah, shit.
Is your plan to go to Lyons, RD? If so.... I'll meet you there. And buy you some good beer.

Yes, we are playing in the Classic on the friday. Plus all the other comps that week.

rd

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

rd,
Are you and the family gonna take in a tour of Stern factory this week?
If so, offer to take Gary and Gomez for a Blues Brothers style cruise around town in the pin hearse, and then fill us in on the highlights.

Yeah, heading there in an hour. I already offered Gary a ride in the hearse ...

We will see if he's into it soon ...

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 1,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordaves-route-66-odessy-is-underway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.