Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Red-Face.jpg
Fish-Wear.jpg
FlipperDirt.jpg
Pic-2.jpg
Pic-1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Thinking about buying this Roadshow as a restore project, but worried it could be a money pit. By the looks of it, been on route from day one. Never finished a full game without it restarting and the list of fixes is long (DMD spazzes, upper flipper broke, major fish wear, no flashers, crack ramps, etc.)...and this is only what I can see from the topside. Red & Ted plus the Dozer arm do work, but are beat-up real bad. I don't mind the elbow grease getting it working correctly, one of the biggest reasons I'm considering it is the fun of the project.
We haven't settled on a price yet, but I've been in contact with the owner...who didn't know the bad shape this unit was in, his comment was "getting ready to bring it back in and put some new rubbers and lights in". My reply, "It's way beyond lights and rubbers". We agreed to talk in a few more days after he did some research and price checking. Since some of parts are hard to find, would I be taking on a project that wouldn't be worth it in the long run? My goal would be to restore it to a players quality game, keep it for a few years and not spend more than it's worth to get it there...What would you pay or is this a possible money pit?

Pic-1.jpgPic-1.jpg Pic-2.jpgPic-2.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Just keep in mind that NICE RS can be found for sub 2500 in my area. I am guessing they are somewhat similar in you area with a small CA extra cost?

Lots of unobtanium so keep that in mind. I would want it for 1k or under for the amount of work going into it and the likely costs involved. Actually, I would not even buy it to be honest. The fish wear alone means no matter how much love you give it, it will still be a polished turd when you are done.

#3 10 years ago

You need to get it for about $500 to really make it worth the risk.

#4 10 years ago

Yea you have to get it on the cheap. And I mean the cheap.

#5 10 years ago

Need more pics to truly gauge the value and estimated restoration cost.

The game is worth more than a grand in parts most likely...

#6 10 years ago

Besides the broken flipper and DMD, here are some more pics...couldn't get any good ones of the cracked ramps.
FlipperDirt.jpgFlipperDirt.jpg
Fish-Wear.jpgFish-Wear.jpg
Chip out of Red's lower cheek...
Red-Face.jpgRed-Face.jpg

#7 10 years ago

That's one beat road show but could be a fun project at the right price.Good luck road show is a great pin traded my first rs and bought another one about 3 months later

#8 10 years ago

I would pay $500 and probably regret it very quickly!

#9 10 years ago

Keep in mind that the ramps are not available... At least not the right ramp.

Proceed with caution!

#10 10 years ago

Not worth the effort. These come up for sale often. If you really like the game find a nice example and enjoy.

#11 10 years ago

For such an easily acquired game for $2,500 in nice shape, I can't see making this work unless you're fine with fixing what you can for a couple hundred bucks and leaving the big-ticket stuff (pf damage, unavailable parts replacement) as it sits.

#12 10 years ago

I would pay $900-$1000 easily

#13 10 years ago

Apron is probably rusted as well as nearly all of them were. If the ramps are usable I would not go over $1000. You would spend too much to get it to level of others for sale and the playfield would never be perfect.

#14 10 years ago

If that was local, I'd spend up to $1000 on it. It probably wouldn't take THAT much to turn into a decent player's machine, which I'd be perfectly happy with.

I'm much more a player than a collector, though; I'd be happy to get the DMD and flipper sorted out, and play the crap out of it. The reset issue is poor grounding in all likelihood, and not a terribly difficult fix.

#15 10 years ago

Roadshow playfields are made of Unobtainium.

Unless its dirt cheap I'd pass and get a decent one. As others have said.

rd.

#16 10 years ago

RS is one PITA to shop

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Not worth the effort. These come up for sale often. If you really like the game find a nice example and enjoy.

Agreed! Find one in better shape to restore. May cost a little more, but as mentioned, if the main parts are still in good shape (ie ramps) it will save you a lot of headache.

Good Luck

2 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

Can someone tell me what is the hole in the bottom of the playfield of Roadshow ?

between the flippers and lower then the flippers there is a hole...is that a Post hole ?
uselly on RS there is a little round plastic inside that hole.

Thanks

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would pay $500 and probably regret it very quickly!

You could part that thing out for more than a grand. The head mechs alone go for big money.

I would take it for $1,000. Cracked ramps, especially on the left are almost a given, the DMD issue is likely a ribbon cable (but it is gassing bad).

#20 10 years ago

yes its a post hole my rs has one in it.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Can someone tell me what is the hole in the bottom of the playfield of roadshow ?

I've heard people say that hole is for a post that was required by law in the UK. Not sure that's true, but it would make sense.

#22 10 years ago

Ha...Thanks a lot guys !

#23 10 years ago

I'd spend the $2k to get a nice one and after the 2 years you plan to keep it, you'll at least get your money back. Commendable to try and save this one though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-possible-money-pit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.