Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by twzdon1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just wondering, I've been playing RFM a lot lately and not once have I gotten to play the martian hypno beam. I even set the machine to 10 balls to have the longest possible chance and still no go. Does anyone know if there's a setting I've missed or is it just extremely rare to come up? It's driving me slightly mad!

#2 10 years ago

idk - I've gotten to it randomly on 6balls.

#3 10 years ago

It comes up for me on random after maybe the first bonus wave multi-ball as a stroke of luck hole award.

I generally get it every game I play.

#4 10 years ago

It normally comes up for me after 5+ Stroke of Lucks. I think it also depends on how many modes you've completed. The more modes you knock out, the great the rewards of the SOL cellar shot (my guess).

#5 10 years ago

Do you have tournament mode enabled? That will push it WAY down the list...

*EDIT* - There may also be a setting that controls how often it comes up...

Jaz

#6 10 years ago

been dare done dat

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from GreenMeerkat:

I've been playing RFM a lot lately and not once have I gotten to play the martian hypno beam.

You've played it several times, but each time you've been hypnotized into forgetting you just played it.

#8 10 years ago

It's a great mode (and a way to earn an extra ball), just not as cool as strobe light multiball on AFM.

#9 10 years ago

Seems like I usually get it as SOL award #2 every game.

#10 10 years ago

Check software version you are probably on 1.3 needs to upgrade to 1.5

#11 10 years ago

I am on 1.5. Looked through the settings and don't see anything related to it. I mean I do see the option in SOL every so often but it never gets selected. Maybe it can hear the expletives I'm shouting at it now. So frustrating!

#12 10 years ago

How do you upgrade the software?

#13 10 years ago

I have only gotten it once and that machine gets more play than any other machine I own.

#14 10 years ago

Just realised I missed the comment on tournament mode, found it was on, had a game and voila! Thanks Jazman, you have cured me of my swearing problem

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

IIRC; it's a Serial port inside the coin door. Then you run a special application on an XP box which serially transmits the code to the RFM computer.

#16 10 years ago

I have RFM and got the hipto mode several times,so I guess I don't need an update?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

I have RFM and got the hipto mode several times.

Are you saying you own RFM and you're hip, too? Or does owning RFM make you hip too?

#18 10 years ago

Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm connnnnnnnnnnnnnnfused!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

A video well worth your time.

#20 10 years ago

Oh my............I started the video, then paused it, took a look at my game, and I only have 1.2 , now I must watch the rest and update my game ASAP!!!! Thanks!!!! Of course I'm not puter savy so I will have to find one of my teck guys to help me!!! ...........oicu812 where R U???? !!!! lol thanks Again!......now back to the video!

#21 10 years ago

No problem! I am at 1.5, so I think I'll stay put, but I always wondered how to update P2000 as well, so yeah, great reference video! Glad I could help!

#22 10 years ago

Hypno Multiball

This will show up as a Stroke of Luck award, usually after about 2-3 Stroke of Luck awards have been collected or several modes have been completed. Think strobe multiball without the flashing. All playfield lights go out except for those relating to a lit shot. Corresponding to the lit shot, a giant rotating spiral with 3 smaller rotating spirals are shown located at both ramps and the Capture Lane via the heads up display. The center targets will "damage" the large spiral, the "Beam Integrity" (percentage) of which is shown on the display. You must lower the Beam Integrity down to 0% to destroy the large spiral (about 15 hits). Hitting a smaller spiral will add a ball, relaunch any lost balls, and also awards a brief (10 second) ball saver. When the Beam Integrity on the large spiral has been depleted, the ramp will pop up to defeat it. The first time this is completed, an extra ball will be awarded. The second time, it is worth 15M.

copied from rulessheet.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

Oh my............I started the video, then paused it, took a look at my game, and I only have 1.2 , now I must watch the rest and update my game ASAP!!!! Thanks!!!! Of course I'm not puter savy so I will have to find one of my teck guys to help me!!! ...........oicu812 where R U???? !!!! lol thanks Again!......now back to the video!

A lot of people have issues updating with the serial port since it is VERY finicky. If you're not able to get it to go, Rob Anthony (Borygard) will rent you a PUB card to do the update. You just plug it in to your computer, turn on the game and voila! You're updated. Pull the card and send it back to him.

Jaz

#24 10 years ago

FWIW, some of the "finickyness" associated with the serial port likely stems from a factory assembly error. Of the 2 RFMs that I've owned, one had the ribbon cable for the serial port installed in the incorrect orientation on the motherboard header connector. Check that the serial cable connector cable red stripe is aligned with pin 1 on the associated motherboard header connector before trying the update via the serial port. I've seen others report this same issue, but I have no idea how prevalent it might be.

#25 10 years ago

Hypno Beam is my favorite mode in the game. Play it in a fully darkened room for the true blackout experience.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

Hypno Beam is my favorite mode in the game.

It is a good mode, but nowhere near as good as Martian Happy Hour or the fabulous Drive-In Demolition. Catch and hold the ball on one of the flippers and watch the whole black and white mini-movie "It Came from Uranus" on the drive-in screen (use the other flipper button to step through the screen displays so you don't have to sit through them all until they stop blocking the movie screen).

#27 10 years ago

how would I contact rob Anthony

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from twzdon1:

how would I contact rob Anthony

He's on Pinside, but probably better thru his site:
http://www.lockwhenlit.com/default.htm

#29 10 years ago

Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-martian-hypno-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.