(Topic ID: 8129)

Requesting pinside suggestions.

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

This is my delima. I have a transporter the rescue that's in amazing shape. The only flaw is the crossover ramp. It's fair but chipping and cracking. 859 were made so finding a new one is not possible. I know of several other people looking for them also. I'd love to replicate it so I could sell a few but it's rather complex. It has the transporter bowl attached to it. My other option is to protect it. Cover it with a clear epoxy or hard clearcoat. Something to keep it from chipping or cracking further. My question is, has anyone ever done this? If so what did you use and what was the results? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions. If this ramp breaks I'm done. I'll have to buy a whole machine and take the ramps and part out the rest.Think people! There has to be a good fix. Thanks as always to the giant brain they call pinside.

#2 12 years ago

Well this is speaking of experience in casting plastic pieces from moulds for all kinds of reasons (none pinball related though) what you could do is of course clean the ramps, temporarily fill in the cracks and chips with any kind of putty you have on hand, make the putty flush with the rest of the ramp, then do a rubber casting by just drenching the whole thing in rubber, make a hard shell to surround the latex casting, then once everything is set, you can remove the original ramp from the casting. Then use an appropriate plastic resin (clear of course because these are pinball ramps), reassemble your rubber mould in it's hard shell, pour in the plastic resin, let set, then again remove the hard shell and the rubber mould. There you go, a new ramp! Now I have never tried making pinball ramps, but in theory it should work.

And if it does, then it's very easy to just refuse the mould over and over again and sell the ramps on ebay.

Good Luck! Most of the materials you'll need you can get from a model making store. And there's tons of info on the internet to help you.

#3 12 years ago

This will help you a lot! http://www.artmolds.com/pdf/Silicone.pdf

Good Luck!

#4 12 years ago

Nice. I'm going to do some reading and see what I can do. Thanks for the tip. I've read some stuff on flippers.com but it sounded like a lot of practice and mess. Hopfully this method will be better. The only catch is there can be no risk to the ramp I have now. I'll post when I get started. I'm still open to other suggestions also.

#5 12 years ago

My Swords Of Fury ramp had a 5 1/2" long crack right where the wall joined the floor. I cleaned the ramp with Acetone then put a piece of 3/4" wide masking tape on the back side then used Great Planes Pro Epoxy to fill in the crack 1 coat at a time until the crack was full then sand smooth. This stuff sticks to anything and is chemical resistant, it holds paint well to. Tower Hobbies has it.

#6 12 years ago

Does anyone know of a company that will reproduce a ramp for me? My time is in short supply these days.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/requesting-pinside-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.