RBION - Where's the Love?

Started 2 years ago by RDReynolds in forum All PinballAll Pinball.


Forum » All Pinball » Topic

RBION - Where's the Love?


Topic summary

  • Started 2 years ago by RDReynolds
  • 35 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Jay_Allegro

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs





Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!



    2 years ago
    #

    So I've been playing RBION on the iPhone and XBox 360...and it seems like an awesome game! I've only played the actual machine a few times, but playing it virtually has me thinking that this is a real sleeper...owners, what say ye?


    2 years ago
    #

    I wish i was an owner. I stubled across this thing in a bar,looked at it's horrible horrible backglass, and had low hopes. But it is super fun and addictive. Found myself going back to the place at all hours to play.


    2 years ago
    #

    I would like to find one for sale in my area. Played it at MGC and really liked it.


    2 years ago
    #

    It's a fun game, and I think it's starting to get more respect than it used to.


    2 years ago
    #
    RDReynolds said:

    So I've been playing RBION on the iPhone and XBox 360...and it seems like an awesome game! I've only played the actual machine a few times, but playing it virtually has me thinking that this is a real sleeper...owners, what say ye?

    It is an awesome game. Top 3 Stern for me, no question about it. RBION is gaining steam very fast with others nowadays. With the crazy prices Stern is currently charging, people are realizing they can get 5x the game of a new Stern for 1/3rd the price with a game like RBION. Really, really good and challenging game with a ton going on. I wouldn't be surprised to see RBION prices hit close to $3,000 soon.


    2 years ago
    #

    I love RBION, bought it NIB and never looked back.


    2 years ago
    #

    I went to the kids on the recent TOTAN for HUO RBION trade here. They unanimously said no way. RBION stays. Everyone who visits plays it. With RBION and roadshow you got great depth for under 5k.


    2 years ago
    #

    Dude, this game been getting all the love!

    Look at all the recent WTB: RBION posts within the last year....


    2 years ago
    #

    I just picked up a RBION about a month ago now. Yes they can be a bit hard to find in good shape (got mine off craigslist of all places) and the prices do seem to be going up in the year or so I have been checking out the game. The game deserves all the love has been getting lately. I rate it up there in fun and playability with TSPP and that is high praise from me. It would have been nice if the RBION at MGC had the sound up, the callouts can really help you out in the game.


    2 years ago
    #

    Whats a good price on a really nice one that was previously routed but has been shopped out? But the front is not drilled out.


    2 years ago
    #
    Kevgascan said:

    Whats a good price on a really nice one that was previously routed but has been shopped out? But the front is not drilled out.

    They seems to start at $2,000 and go up from there. If you can get it cheaper, that's a good deal. You wouldn't have much of a problem selling a RBION for $2,000 if you want to move it.


    2 years ago
    #

    RBION is currently underrated, but in the last few months its been rising steadily up the Top 100, which I feel is fair as its a great game! I got one at an arcade near me in great condition. Very deep game and is one of few stern games that actually have an element of humour.


    2 years ago
    #

    RBION actually seems to get a lot of love here.


    2 years ago
    #
    Medieval_Gofers said:

    Very deep game

    Yes it is and can be bought at a very good price which is good for someone who likes a deep game.Pat Lawlor game too.


    2 years ago
    #

    Like LesManley said, 2k is about where they start and go up (although I have seen some asking 2500-2700 for beat ones) The really nice one I picked up last month was 2200. It is a reimport but I do not think that affects value in most peoples minds now. I like the smaller flipper button protectors on the import rails anyway.


    2 years ago
    #

    If they rethemed it with, I don't know, possibly some custom jungley, witch doctory, explorer theme or something, it might be more appealing... but really? Ripley's Believe It or Not as a theme? I may be in the minority here but to me a theme can make or break a game, and RBION is a terrible theme.

    I know this isn't always true. Look at TMNT; awesome theme, turd machine.


    2 years ago
    #

    Sorry, not a fan. The Jamaican shrunken head grates too much on my nerves.

    My best friend got one NIB- he won a contest and got to choose between a RBION or LOTR, he picked the RBION because it was a Lawlor pin. He's happy, loves it, so that's all that matters.

    It really doesn't get the same respect as other Stern pins. Look at how much they go for versus other Stern pins. LOTR, TSPP, POTC, FGY, SM, even Elvis sell for 1000 bucks more and their are less RBION out there compared to the others.


    2 years ago
    #
    btrip said:

    If they rethemed it with, I don't know, possibly some custom jungley, witch doctory, explorer theme or something, it might be more appealing... but really? Ripley's Believe It or Not as a theme? I may be in the minority here but to me a theme can make or break a game, and RBION is a terrible theme.
    I know this isn't always true. Look at TMNT; awesome theme, turd machine.

    I think it is a great theme and the pin utilizes it really well.


    2 years ago
    #

    Anyone seen a RBION with inside cab artwork?


    2 years ago
    #

    This is the exact same post that was on RPG not too long ago.


    RobT

    Pinside legend
    12,383,623 3
    2 years ago
    #
    The_Dude_Abides said:

    RBION actually seems to get a lot of love here.

    I agree. People have talked about RBION being a "great bang for the buck" pin, and highly "underrated" for as long as I've been in the hobby (almost a year and half).


    2 years ago
    #
    Hawkeyepin said:

    This is the exact same post that was on RPG not too long ago.

    And this surprises you why? Thats the MO these days...post the same questions on all the forums.

    Regardless, RBION is a great game. I hated it at first, but it grew on me and I finally found one! I have mine torn apart to shop it out right now. Really a fun underrated game.


    2 years ago
    #
    shlockdoc said:

    I love RBION, bought it NIB and never looked back.

    Ditto. I can't believe it took the pinball world so long to catch on.
    Terry.


    2 years ago
    #

    Can anyone answer a question for me about the pop bumpers on Ripley's? What is the reason (rules?) for the lighting of the pop bumpers? I remember on TZ that depending on how you shot the ball out of the lane, you lit a certain number of pop bumpers. I thought RBION might be the same but it does not seem to be that way. I can start out with 2 of the 6 pop bumpers lit but then see 4 lit up 30 seconds later. I thought that the upper white pops might be linked to the lower red pops but I just played a game where I noticed all 3 white pops lit but only one red pop. Well that blew the hell out of my theory and 1 minute later I had only one white and one red pop illuminated. What in the world am I missing?


    2 years ago
    #

    You're not missing anything. Lighting pops one-by-one (as the pop value goes up) was a Pat Lawlor obsession. I've never understood it. I haven't met very many pop bumper rules I thought were very interesting. One of the Bozo awards is "pops at max" and when I get it I feel like it's pretty much a "non-award".

    After 8 years of owning the machine I still don't know how to light the pop bumpers, probably because I just can't get myself to care.

    Another mystery; What relights the tombstones? I know starting a new ball will usually randomly light a couple up, and one of the Bozo awards is "light all tombstones", but beyond that I have never been able to figure it out.

    For the first few years I owned the machine I couldn't figure out how to light the "advance tombstone value" award, but I finally did figure that one out (left return lane). The return lane is unmarked and does not have an insert to indicate that it does anything at all.

    I suppose I should play my games with the glass off a little more often.

    Terry.


    2 years ago
    #
    pinballlife said:

    You're not missing anything. Lighting pops one-by-one (as the pop value goes up) was a Pat Lawlor obsession. I've never understood it. I haven't met very many pop bumper rules I thought were very interesting. One of the Bozo awards is "pops at max" and when I get it I feel like it's pretty much a "non-award".
    After 8 years of owning the machine I still don't know how to light the pop bumpers, probably because I just can't get myself to care.
    Another mystery; What relights the tombstones? I know starting a new ball will usually randomly light a couple up, and one of the Bozo awards is "light all tombstones", but beyond that I have never been able to figure it out.
    For the first few years I owned the machine I couldn't figure out how to light the "advance tombstone value" award, but I finally did figure that one out (left return lane). The return lane is unmarked and does not have an insert to indicate that it does anything at all.
    I suppose I should play my games with the glass off a little more often.
    Terry.

    Does anyone know if it gives you more points during the mode for starting the mode with the vari-target as opposed to the scoop? Pat said in a Gameroom Magazine he made it so you could start a mode at either so it was easier for casual players, but that the skilled players would be rewarded with more points during the mode if they started it from the vari-target. Anyone know if that is true?


    2 years ago
    #
    pinballlife said:

    One of the Bozo awards is "pops at max" and when I get it I feel like it's pretty much a "non-award".

    Pops at max is a punishment if you ask me. It starts the lower left flasher pulsing until the end of the ball which I fine to be distracting. One of these days I'm going to order a different color cover for the flasher to tone it down a little.

    Also - BOZO sometimes awards "Light Instant Jackpot", I still have no idea what that is.

    There are few shots in pinball as satisfying as cranking a ball in the vari-target to collect the continent super jackpot with 2x running, then ripping a ball up the upper loop for a double super. "Prepare to be amazed!"


    2 years ago
    #

    The local theater has a Ripley's. It's in great shape but dirty and has switch issues. And covering the scoop trough hole with duct tape does NOT constitute cleaning the trough either.


    2 years ago
    #

    I think you max out the pop bumpers by shooting the left loop(between the pops) after a certain number of loops thru you light one more then the next one till they are all lit - can't remember the value it puts for each lit pop but - thats about as much as I have figured out. I dont think the top pops and the lower ones have any relationship


    2 years ago
    #
    pinb0t said:

    pinballlife said:

    Also - BOZO sometimes awards "Light Instant Jackpot", I still have no idea what that is.

    Jackpot lights for one hit on the right ramp. Something like 200,000 points, no biggie.
    Terry.


    2 years ago
    #
    pinballlife said:

    Jackpot lights for one hit on the right ramp. Something like 200,000 points, no biggie.
    Terry.

    Strange, mine doesn't do this. I'm on 3.0 for the CPU though. Just ordered 3.01 from JWJ so maybe I will be able to collect it once I upgrade.


    2 years ago
    #
    The_Dude_Abides said:

    RBION actually seems to get a lot of love here

    Agreed. It's getting a lot of love everywhere now. Back when I owned the game ('06-'08) damn near everyone loathed the game. It was bad mouthed like no other, and I couldn't unload my beautiful HUO example for $2000. I finally had to trade it for a beat up AGBGOAWT + $900. The sad part of the whole deal was that I really loved the game and didn't want to sell, but I needed to pay some off some bills back then, so it had to go. Now that I'd love to get one again, the prices have shot way up. I kind of got screwed both ways on this machine.

    For anyone that may be interested I still have a NOS RBION playfield that I'd sell. I've held onto it all these years just in case I buy a machine that needs a swap, but that may never happen....


    2 years ago
    #

    It gets love! I have it in my wants for my TOTAN trade post! Am I'm serious! Lol


    2 years ago
    #

    I fist played RBION at the Texas Pinball Festival this year. The first couple of plays it didn't do too much for me. But over the three days of the Festival, I kept returning to play it again and again. Although I never got a deep grasp of the rules, I had a great time playing it. I think I may add it to my wish list.


    2 years ago
    #

    Out of my whole collection of games I play RBION the most. It doesn't ever get old.


    2 years ago
    #
    MattElder said:

    For anyone that may be interested I still have a NOS RBION playfield that I'd sell. I've held onto it all these years just in case I buy a machine that needs a swap, but that may never happen....

    So tempting....I am tearing my PF down right now......hmmm.


    2 years ago
    #

    I got mine at an auction in Wisconsin last year and am very happy with it. I am sure Mike Hay has more games on his machine in the 5 weeks he has owned it then I have in 11 months........... but I still love the game.

    Chris


    2 years ago
    #

    2 talking heads (sorta) like RS, and travel theme like RS
    random slot machine gizmo like RCT (no skill involved)
    Every mode is travel to a differrent continent, gets old fast


    2 years ago
    #

    IMHO, the beauty of this machine lies in the manipulation of the ruleset. There so many different approaches one can take. After 8 years of ownership I am STILL trying different ways to achieve a high score.

    Is the layout somewhat clunky at times? Yes. Is the theme less than perfect? Yes. Is the music any better than run-of-the-mill porno music? No.

    However, it's a shooter's game, no doubt; amoung the best IMHO. Make your damn shots or go home. No really, MAKE YOUR SHOTS or go home. If you want a game that is forgiving then this is not the game for you. Of all the games I have ever owned, RBION is the least likely to give you a good score based on "luck". In a nutshell, if you don't know the rules and you can't make your shots your final score will suck. Whether or not that is a good thing or a bad thing is up to personal opinion.

    For me, this will be the last game that leaves the barn.

    Terry.


    2 years ago
    #

    I've seen a lot of positive posts over the past year. I would place RBION in with WH2O and BSD as three previously underrated pins that seem to be more popular now than ever before.


    2 years ago
    #

    Yeah I am pretty sure that I have more games on my RBION in the 5 weeks I have owned it than the year Chris has had his game. 200+ games(didn't look at the exact count) that is actually slower than my TSPP game rack-up over a short period of time. I do not know if Chris wants to admit it but he has become a much better pin-player after having RBION for less than a year than all his A listers he has played for years in his basement.

    RBION = RS???? 2 talking heads? RBION has the talking shrunken head and a giggler like cousin IT on TAF. Sorry but I do not see how this pin is like RS. No skill at all on the slot machine? How does one get certain jewels on the tic-tac-toe center field if there is no nudging to get it to go down the proper lane? How do you get the right jewel to show on the lane display of the temple if you don't hit the loop to 'spin' the slot machine?

    I agree that hearing "a roller skating penguin - how amazing" is a callout that should be burned off of the ROM chip and hearing that music has been compared to run-of-the-mill porn music will probably have me thinking of Boogie Nights while playing for awhile(aw jeez). I do admit that I need to learn a few more tricks to improve my score but that is not a bad thing, it keeps dragging me back to play some more.


    2 years ago
    #
    pinballlife said:

    IMHO, the beauty of this machine lies in the manipulation of the ruleset. There so many different approaches one can take. After 8 years of ownership I am STILL trying different ways to achieve a high score.
    Is the layout somewhat clunky at times? Yes. Is the theme less than perfect? Yes. Is the music any better than run-of-the-mill porno music? No.
    However, it's a shooter's game, no doubt; amoung the best IMHO. Make your damn shots or go home. No really, MAKE YOUR SHOTS or go home. If you want a game that is forgiving then this is not the game for you. Of all the games I have ever owned, RBION is the least likely to give you a good score based on "luck". In a nutshell, if you don't know the rules and you can't make your shots your final score will suck. Whether or not that is a good thing or a bad thing is up to personal opinion.
    For me, this will be the last game that leaves the barn.
    Terry.

    Agree 100% with everything said, except the comment about the less than perfect theme...I love the theme and I think it lends itself to a pinball machine very well.

    Out of curiosity, what kind of high scores are people putting up on their RBION? Mine is set to factory and my highest is 68,765,760. I got to Atlantis once at the PHOF, but the game was set to 5 balls and I think it was on easy. Score there was over 125 million, but I don't really count that one.


    2 years ago
    #

    108,278,940 (factory 3 ball) 6 letters and something like 62 jewels and 48 idols I think. I got that game in the 2nd week I owned it and now I can not get past 80 mil although I have only owned the game 5 or 6 weeks. I need to focus more on 2x scoring and such I think.


    2 years ago
    #

    After a few months with all my friends playing ours - the current Grand Champion score is about 58 million (Factory settings).

    I love RBION. Top 5 Stern for me. It feels like Lawlor took elements from his classics (especially TZ & TAF) and put them in here. The playfield layout is very similar to TAF.

    Beginners really do have a fun time with it- it's easy to start modes/multi-balls. If you really want to put up a good score though, you have to have a strategy and know how to pick and choose your shots. Definitely a thinking players pin! Learning how to beat each mode is quite a challenge as well. You can stack many of the modes and scoring, it's almost overwhelming sometimes.

    The Super Jackpot is very difficult and one of my favorite of all time. I love shooting that right loop only to have the peg pop up and return the ball nice and easy for an attempt at it off the upper right flipper. Very hard to do, especially during multiball.

    I have ours modded with some figures and LEDs... Hopefully we can put up some nice pictures soon for people to check out on here.


    2 years ago
    #
    Jay_Allegro said:

    After a few months with all my friends playing ours - the current Grand Champion score is about 58 million (Factory settings).
    I love RBION. Top 5 Stern for me. It feels like Lawlor took elements from his classics (especially TZ & TAF) and put them in here. The playfield layout is very similar to TAF.
    Beginners really do have a fun time with it- it's easy to start modes/multi-balls. If you really want to put up a good score though, you have to have a strategy and know how to pick and choose your shots. Definitely a thinking players pin! Learning how to beat each mode is quite a challenge as well. You can stack many of the modes and scoring, it's almost overwhelming sometimes.
    The Super Jackpot is very difficult and one of my favorite of all time. I love shooting that right loop only to have the peg pop up and return the ball nice and easy for an attempt at it off the upper right flipper. Very hard to do, especially during multiball.
    I have ours modded with some figures and LEDs... Hopefully we can put up some nice pictures soon for people to check out on here.

    What figures do you have in there? The only thing I have I was thinking of adding is a smashed penny from the Ripley's in Wisconsin Dells. Looks pretty cool and obviously fits the theme.


    RobT

    Pinside legend
    12,383,623 3
    2 years ago
    #
    pinballlife said:

    Is the music any better than run-of-the-mill porno music?

    Run of the mill porno music rocks!


    2 years ago
    #

    It's a great game. I've only got to play it a few times put i really liked it.


    2 years ago
    #
    mikehay1 said:

    108,278,940 (factory 3 ball) 6 letters and something like 62 jewels and 48 idols I think. I got that game in the 2nd week I owned it and now I can not get past 80 mil although I have only owned the game 5 or 6 weeks. I need to focus more on 2x scoring and such I think.

    How long a game was it?


    2 years ago
    #

    It was over 30 minutes it seemed like but I just played a 75mil game tonight and it was a good 25 minutes. So maybe my big game was over 45min? Just can't recall right now


    2 years ago
    #

    Can't believe no one is wondering what the hell Stephen Colbert is up to on the backglass?!

    This is the game that brought me back to pinball. After being disgusted with all of the new junk Sterns coming out in the earlier part of the century and having more and more trouble finding good condition Bally/Williams out in the wild, pinball kinda died for me. Then I happened onto RBION and thought I'd give it a try. Although I was highly suspicious of all Stern's at that point I still managed to fall in love and my silverball obsession reignited.

    It's a silly fun game with great shots, rules and strategy- glad to see it finally getting some respect.



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.





© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple