(Topic ID: 17194)

Question about SoF multiball: Figured it out.

By EvilJack

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GizzArd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So today while playing I started a multi-ball game with only two balls. I thought there was only a three ball multi. Is this supposed to happen? And under what cercimstances does it happen?

Also I had another interesting thing happen. I knocked down all the targets on the mini-playfield once for 2x multiplyer. However the ball left the playfield and hit the titan spinner just as the light was changing from 1x to 2x. This caused the light to go directly to 4x. Is that how it works or is that a fluke?

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from EvilJack:

So today while playing I started a multi-ball game with only two balls. I thought there was only a three ball multi. Is this supposed to happen? And under what circumstances does it happen?

This happened on my SoF as well, with both the old and newer software installed. I could never figure out what caused it, but it happened every once in a while. I'm pretty sure this is the case with all SoFs.

#3 11 years ago

Sounds like a defective machine. Sell it to me

#4 11 years ago

I had the same thing with mine with both old and new roms. I could never figure it out either but I thought I read somewhere it was a common to all sofs.

#5 11 years ago

Same here, happens every once in awhile. Im gonna pay better attention next time and see what triggered it.

#6 11 years ago

Mine did it to, I even read why it happens, but cant remember.

Check rgp, pretty sure I read about it there!

#7 11 years ago

The first time it happened was when I first got the pin. Wanted to show my friend the multi-ball music. Rolled two up the ramp right away and it kicked both out. However it did it this last time with more time between the balls.

#8 11 years ago

I do not recall getting two ball multi on mine, it has been a while tho, Miss my SoF, great game

#9 11 years ago

I think I have the answer.
I was playing my brother's and I've had this happen. It looks like when the ball ejects out of it's lock spot, it will sometimes not go around the horseshoe and land back on the switch again, causing multiball.

#10 11 years ago

I just took the glass off and verified.
When 1 ball is locked, the ball launch diverts to the ball lock, and kicks out the first locked ball for play. If that ball does NOT kick out all the way, they both drop in and start 2 ball multi.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I just took the glass off and verified.
When 1 ball is locked, the ball launch diverts to the ball lock, and kicks out the first locked ball for play. If that ball does kick out all the way, they both drop in and start 2 ball multi.

Ok, but did you get a change in the music? I will see if I can force it again, but I believe it starts with the "LION MAN" shout out and then the multi-ball music starts.

#12 11 years ago

This has happened to me a lot of times as well. Always seemed random to me. I just assumed there was some intricacy to the rules I wasn't picking up on. It does start the multiball music though.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from EvilJack:

RawleyD said:I just took the glass off and verified.
When 1 ball is locked, the ball launch diverts to the ball lock, and kicks out the first locked ball for play. If that ball does kick out all the way, they both drop in and start 2 ball multi.
Ok, but did you get a change in the music? I will see if I can force it again, but I believe it starts with the "LION MAN" shout out and then the multi-ball music starts.

Yeah, it starts the music. It's multiball as usual. Try it with the glass off and see.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

It looks like when the ball ejects out of it's lock spot, it will sometimes not go around the horseshoe and land back on the switch again, causing multiball.

It definitely has something to do with that diverter. I don't think there is supposed to be a two-ball multiball, but the software is obviously designed to compensate.

#15 11 years ago

Ok so I figured out what causes 2 ball multiball. Its basically just a mistake. The programing for the multiball is designed to work one way. Power one is when the ball rests against the lever in the trough. Power two is when the second ball rests in the hidden trap. Multiball starts when the third ball activates the switch in the trough. However, the programing only looks for one ball against the lever, and one ball activating the switch at the same time. It does not matter if there is not a ball in the other "trap".

Found then out when I put the second wire ramp back on the playfield and aparently didn't wire up the ramp switch correctly. When the ball went down the second ramp, the switch didn't activate, so the game didn't tell the first ball to leave the trough. So once the second ball landed in the trough and activated the switch, multiball started.

So yeah, to sum up, when it happens, its either an accident, or a switch error.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from EvilJack:

When the ball went down the second ramp, the switch didn't activate, so the game didn't tell the first ball to leave the trough. So once the second ball landed in the trough and activated the switch, multiball started.

It can happen with all switches working as well.
If the "Power 1" ball attempts to kick out and FAILS when Ball 2 is coming down the second ramp, both balls will end up in the lock area and start multiball.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

EvilJack said:When the ball went down the second ramp, the switch didn't activate, so the game didn't tell the first ball to leave the trough. So once the second ball landed in the trough and activated the switch, multiball started.
It can happen with all switches working as well.
If the "Power 1" ball attempts to kick out and FAILS when Ball 2 is coming down the second ramp, both balls will end up in the lock area and start multiball.

Yeah events why I said accident. Never ment to imply it only happened with a switch error.

1 year later
#18 10 years ago

Well how come some multiball says "release the guards" and the other multiball says release the titans? I think there is two different multiballs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-sof-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.