(Topic ID: 62032)

Protecting Pins From UV Sunlight Fade

By Jean-Luc-Picard

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey Pinheads,

So, I am putting a pin in the living room. Granted I have rather thick curtains they are not always closed to protect the pin from UV light. So, I am about to put Clear UV Protection Window Film on my large windows to prevent fade. This product claims it will block 99% UV as well crystal clear. Hope this idea helps others.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Protection-Window-Film-Wide/dp/B004JAW3KW/ref=sr_1_1

2 months later
    #2 10 years ago

Is there any polish/wax product you can put on a pin to prevent UV fade? I've got some newer sterns near a bay window in the house. Was hoping that I didn't have to re-tint the windows. Further, I'd rather not have to put some sort of cover over the machine and hide all the great art work!

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

This product claims it will block 99% UV as well crystal clear. Hope this idea helps others.

It states "reduces up to 99%", so that could be a 1% or 99% reduction in UV; in other words, the claim is meaningless.

Real "brand name" window tints say that their Limo Black tint blocks 99% UVA and UVB.

As a general rule of thumb, ultra violet (UV) is approximately 40% of the cause of fading, visible light is about 25%, and heat about 25%.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

As a general rule of thumb, ultra violet (UV) is approximately 40% of the cause of fading, visible light is about 25%, and heat about 25%.

Magic contributes the last 10%.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from haiderdj:

Magic contributes the last 10%.

No doubt.

I think humidity, actually.

1 week later
    #6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_PBH:

Is there any polish/wax product you can put on a pin to prevent UV fade? I've got some newer sterns near a bay window in the house. Was hoping that I didn't have to re-tint the windows. Further, I'd rather not have to put some sort of cover over the machine and hide all the great art work!

I am in the process of making my own reproduction decals for Bad Cats. When I print the decals with my plotter I will spray them with my air-gun. This is a UV, water protecting finish. Much stronger than normal decals. I would assume you could use the same thing if you tape off the machine and give it a layer or two...

The UV window tinting is just an extra step to protect the pins near windows. Limo tinting would be better, however it also makes your landlord think you are growing something. lol The film I mentioned is transparent.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protecting-pins-from-uv-sunlight-fade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.