professions

Started 3 years ago by ruairidh in forum Off topicOff-topic bar.

Forum » Off topic » Off-topic bar » Topic

professions

Topic summary

• Started 3 years ago by ruairidh
  • 107 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from txstargazer3

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

So there seem to be a myriad amount of people about this board with various skill sets, knowledge, and what not. It's made me curious what some of you do for a living. Myself, I'm a restaurant guy. I have done it all but run front of house and am in the process of opening my own non-profit sammich shop/CSA type endeavor. With room for games of course... What about the rest of you?

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

M1A2 Tank Commander in the Army.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

whoa!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Home builder in Louisville Kentucky

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Police Officer in Ohio

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Small engine mechanic (self employed), tool sharpener, locksmith, airbrush artist (apprentice), electrical repairman (just learning, self taught), computer tech (apprentice) and forum junkie!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Grocery manager

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Mechanical Engineer

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Service Manager of a Tanker Trailer repair shop in Ohio.
    Previously Welder/Repairman of tankers.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Retired Air Force pilot

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Hvac tech (heating,ventilatoin,a/c)

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Commodity trader.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Import Auto Shop owner.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Originally posted by scooter:

"Home builder in Louisville Kentucky ..."

Ah, your Avatar makes a lot more sense now.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Wow! Quite a broad slice of talent we have. Well, as some of you know, I started out as an Arcade Technician in the mid 80's (to this day, probably my favorite job). Since then, I've been a Ride / Show Technician for Disney, Ride / Show Engineer for Disney, Automation Tech for large Medical Facility, Automation Electrical Engineer same company. Currently, I'm a DBA (Database Admin) for the same company and I lean more toward IT / Programming.

That was a mouthful. That sounds kind of like I'm bragging, but realy I wanted you guys to see where my Pinball tech days led me over the years. I still attribute most of my on the job training skills to those days.

G

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I own a business making Lapel pins and Christmas Ornament. Check it out.

http://www.customizedmemories.com/

Before that, I owned a construction Business....Good thing I got out of that!!!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I worked in the pet business when I a kid, opened my owned my own store ran it for a few years. I worked as a carpenter/cabinet maker, and and I am a journeyman locksmith.

I am currently the facility's Manager for for 2 hospitals (372 patient beds).

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I'm a high-rise window cleaner.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,002,000 4
    3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Option trader.

Gweempose, someday when I get to Chicago, you should show me around the pit. Do you ever want to punch Rick Santelli? I guess he is usually more on the bonds, so you probably don't have to listen to him as much.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I've been working since I was 14, and there are a lot of odd jobs in there in the past 21 years.

Mainly though I've been doing radio communications in one form or another since I was 17. Army field operator/installer, FAA contracted operator, currently a Manager. My degree is in Aeronautics though.

I also owned my own online paintball business for about 5 years, which is where my Avatar came from.

I've been looking for a change, something closer to flight operations than what I do currently. (And far far away from New York preferrably).

-Hans

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Construction business is really hard right now wesperron.

Santeh

Pinball addict
    1,651,700 4
    3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I am a professor of biology. I wish, though, I had an inclination more towards the engineering side of science so that I would not have this darn habit of messing something up when I try to fix a pin!

Santeh

Pinball addict
    1,651,700 4
    3 years, 1 month ago
    #

"Construction business is really hard right now wesperron."

I hear that. My dad was in construction for 20+ years in California before everything went haywire! I have personally worked as a laborer in construction several times in my life and that is by no means easy, let alone any of the economics of the industry!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Research Analyst for a nonprofit.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I own a Web Design/Development & Graphic Design company
    http://www.evolvestudios.com

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Is that a Murloc as your Studio's Avatar?

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I am a wastewater/water operator.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I also restore old volkswagen bugs

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Grew up on a hog farm and also worked in my Grandpas mechanic shop working anything. Got away as fast as I could. The USAF took me in as a Fighter aircraft mechanic for the last 21 years. Started on F-15, now on F-22. Leaving this year and trying to figure out what I am going to do next.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

absocountry2,

Checked out your pin list.
    Can't believe you don't own an F-14 Tomcat pin!

erak

Pinball master
    2,197,650 5
    3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Industrial electrician for the last 8 years. Now back in school on a Gov. grant for electrical engineering and power generation. In the past I have done Graphic design and animation, welder, machinist, mechanic.
    And a Business and advertising degree. A whole bunch of stuff, but I got bored with them all, hope to work for myself someday. Possibly restoring pins and arcade machines but it seems like it will probably stay more of a hobby.
    As times are tough for most people. And it seems like everyone thinks their worn out broken machines are worth their weight in gold.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

"Can't believe you don't own an F-14 Tomcat pin!"

LOL! Yeah absocountry2, with all your experience working on fighter jets, you should have no problem working on the F-14

"Grew up on a hog farm"
    Hey! I also grew up on a farm. Raised Hogs, Chickens, Rabbits, Turkeys, some Cattle... I actually cherish that part of my past. Each to his own.

"Industrial electrician for the last 8 years. Now back in school for electrical engineering"
    Erak, I had a feeling we had similar profesional backgrounds.

G

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I have never had the opportunity to buy an F-14 pin. We have a pretty limited selection here in AK unless we want to pay a lot for shipping. If I find a deal on one I will probably buy one.

I do have a special place for home but that is a lot of hard work with no pension plan. Somebody has to raise the bacon so everybody else can take it home. We only raised hogs growing up. We had 3,500 head at that time, much bigger now. I still work on vacation, never want to forget that work.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

I worked for a while as a disc jockey, then for 12 years as a Scuba instructor/Boat Captain...now I'm a property manager.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Originally posted by donjagra:

"Gweempose, someday when I get to Chicago, you should show me around the pit ..."

If you had asked me that a few years ago, I would have been more than happy to. I traded in the soybean oil pit at the CBOT for more than ten years. I started trading from home shortly after my market went electronic, and I've been doing it that way ever since. Remarkably, there is still some trading in the pit, but it's obviously the secondary market now. I haven't set foot on the floor in a couple of years. As much as I enjoy working from home, I do miss the action. There is nothing quite like the adrenaline rush of open outcry trading.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Software Consultant for the company HAL was named for. No need to mention the Empire's name.

Was a chef for 10 years prior.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Video game designer. Been working in the industry for about 10 years.

I think I mentioned this a few times before, but yea.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Instrumentation and Controls technician for a company who owns multiple power generating and cogeneration plants.
    Started my facination with electronics/electricity as an Electronics Technicain aboard the USS Boston SSN 703 Fast Attack Submarine. And since then have lived on both coasts and once in between, the whole time doing some kind of electrical work.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

scooter- Yeah I know my brother is still in the construction biz. It's been tough. That's why I said I was glad I got out 7 years ago...

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Sealclubber - you are correct - its temprorary, what we want to do is rotate various old school arcade or game references in the logo in the footer - have an asteriods one and space invaders one ready - just need to make like 10 more, for those gamers amongst us will get a little smile

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Computer programmer for the past 13 yrs, retail business for 7 years before that.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Electronic tech, home inspector, hvac tech, alpaca rancher. Retired AF radar tech.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Between everybody on the list, we should be able to do anything.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Pharmacy technician at the hospital for the last 9 years, making IV's.

Very soon opening my own pinball arcade right near the high school.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

This is a great thread to keep handy as a reference for specific talents when needed. Although, (phrmtek), I'm not sure if I'll encounter a pinball that needs an IV in the near future ( JK). It's great to see such a high diversification in our chosen hobby.

BTW, the company I currently work for manufactures Hypodermic Needles. Maybe we help make the product you use for the IV's.

G

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Cat Burglar

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Gilly, I must admit that my motivation in starting this thread was to help me figure out who I should address specific questions too

That being said, I started this off saying that I'm a restaurant guy. While that's true, it's a little misleading...

I play with food. I'm grandmother/village trained in classic Italian, Turkish, and Greek cuisine. I'm also restaurant trained, from mom and pop to corporate, with the brunt of my experience running high end ($20+ a plate) shops. I have also spent way too much time catering. My specialties include chartuterie, pickling, fermenting, desserts, menu development, structuring execution, cost analysis, maximizing efficiency/cross utilization of product/recipes, and finding the 10% that people miss which makes or breaks a business. I also spend time teaching people how to feed themselves efficiently, according to their lifestyle and budget, in their homes. But all I want to do is cook.

If any of you have food or restaurant related questions, I'm happy to offer my knowledge or experience. I also travel a lot feeding people around the country for various causes or events. If any of you are ever looking to hire a caterer for a pinball/gaming /501c3 event, I've been known to fly out for such things...

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Good post!

I'm a Mine Engineering Tech. Resposible for drilling and blasting design.

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Lawyer, CPA and financial planner with a love for collecting and fun stuff like pinball!

3 years, 1 month ago
    #

Theater/Communication Professor. Pinball repair is a lot like working on the technical side of an elaborate production- lighting, sound, props, moving scenery....

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple