Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

instrucardout.jpeg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
#1 12 years ago

hi,
i just got a 1964, williams, palooka machine. my friend gave it to me, i used to play this machine when i was 17! it was sitting for about 20 years, prior to me owning it. i replaced alot of parts and cleaned it up, and it is up and ready for play, except for some tweaking here and there. one problem i am having, is when the ball goes between the two passive bumpers, located at the top center of the playing field, and hits the roll over switch, if the 300 pt lite is lit, you will get 300 pts, then the next time 300 pt lite is lit you will get 100 pts, then 300 pts, 100 pts, and so on. i cleaned the advance stepper switch mounted in the cabinet, but it didnt do any good. what could be causing this???

#2 12 years ago

Hmmm.... 64 Palooka eh? got any photos?
never seen one yet

#3 12 years ago

hellodeadcity,

here ya go...a few pics of palooka...only 700 were manufactured...glass and glass lock down are removed, still doing some work on it...bob

image4.jpgimage4.jpg image3.jpgimage3.jpg image2.jpgimage2.jpg

#4 12 years ago

wow i wish i had friends like that,,,,,,,,,what about the paint,,,,,,,,,what have you done to this machine so far,,,,,,are you related to this friend,,,,what a gift,,,,

#5 12 years ago

pinbrain,

my friend was my nextdoor neighbor. i knew him and his family since i was 13. im 51 now. i used to go with him to pickup old coin operated machines (mostly pinball, bowling, and juke boxes), when i was 16. i learned alot about these old em machines from him. he taught me how to diagnose and repair them, but its been about 20 yrs since i did this sort of thing, but i remember quite a bit. palooka was my fav. i first played it at his house when i was 17. when i was 27, i moved away, and have only got back in touch with him about 2 yrs ago. his daughter had palooka sitting in her garage, rotting for about 15 yrs, so he finally talked her into letting me have it, before in gets to be beyond repair! so i got it about 4 months ago. i replaced all the rubbers, a few coils, jet and passive bumper caps, plunger rod, sleeve, and springs, play ball, leg levelers, and rubber pads, replaced all the #44 bulbs with lower voltage/heat #47's. replaced front door and backbox locks, installed free play button, cause the coin mechanizim is a mess, and the little hair thin wire trip switch for a dime, is gone.cleaned and adjusted a ton of contacts on leaf and rotary switches. took apart the stepper switch located in the backbox and cleaned all the gunk out of it so it would work proper. the machine would not complete a start cycle when i got it, that stepper switch was a big part of that problem. clean and waxed the playfield. im not restoring it, just want it to look good, and be playable. you can play it now, it just needs some additional tweaking. the back glass and cabinet are in pretty rough shape, dont know what im gonna do with it yet...bob

#6 12 years ago

Oh I see now it's about boxing
Tombstone head haven't seen one of them in............Hmmm

about that 300 point scoring issue look underneath the playfield for a 'change relay'
if it's a 100 pts or 300 point when lit target value - sounds like it's out of adjustment
with erratic behavior like sometimes giving the points and other times when lit not.
take note of the wire color code on the 100 and 300 point lamps might be yellow/blue or yellow green then find the relay with those wire color codes on them.
Let us know how you make out Bobo

#7 12 years ago

hellodeadcity,
ok, ill check the "change relay". yes, boxing. actually, "joe palooka" was a comic strip that came out around 1930, about a boxer.

#8 12 years ago

sweet machine. Tombstone head... never seen one.

looks cool

#9 12 years ago

wow,,tombstone head ,,,very rare machine,,,,,,never ever seen one,,,,,palooka,,,,,,lock relays tend to fry on this model some times,,,,sometimes the bell unit comes apart and the parts fall down into the lower machine and cause other problems,,,,look for nuts ,,,,washers ....layin around downstairs,,,

#10 12 years ago

nice find good luck

#11 12 years ago

hello all,
"tombstone head"? are you refering to the backbox? ive heard this type of backbox shape called a "reverse wedge" because it resembles an upside down wedge shape...i had to replace a lock coil....bob

#12 12 years ago

yeah they also call em -reverse wedge heads
Gtb fans call then that
I've heard both.
so how is you progress bobo?

#13 12 years ago

HELLODEADCITY,

well, i cant find anything labeled "change switch" i believe it has to do with the stepper switch called "advance switch" but the adjustment looks good. when the wiper contacts are in position and light up 100pts, and i hit the rollover switch it scores 100pts, 200pts lit, scores 200pts, same for 400, and 500pts. it just 300pt scores 100pts then next time 300pts, then 100pts again. i dont see how the stepper can be at fault, its not like the wiper travels to far sometimes, or something like that, its right on. i dont get it, its almost like it was setup that way...i wonder if it could be something in the "score motor"

#14 12 years ago

I was going to ask -how many rotations does the SM make on 500 points?
but it looks like on your Pf you have values of yellow 5, 50, and white 10, 100?
I'm not sure how the value jumps from 100-500 on the PF?
more questions then answers.....

#15 12 years ago

That is pretty neat how the flippers are right against the slingshots. Not sure if I could play that machine very well....compaired to the way I play now.

#16 12 years ago

hellodeadcity,
u mean the lites on the pf that lite up to show the value of the slingshots, targets, kickers, etc...? they are all white, a few might be discolored from age, heat....as for the lites on the lower pf, center 100pts-1000pts, it will advance when u drop all 4 red targets, and then if you hit the center target, you add a ball. also, when the ball hits the kickers, passive bumpers (top center) or the button switches at bottom of pf, it will advance between 100pts-500pts for the center rollover switch at top center of pf.

#17 12 years ago

I checked the IPD on Palooka
so I guess after you knock down the drop targets a stepper unit advances the value (lower center pf) from 100,300,500,-1000 and then an extra ball =total of 5 steps?
and the upper pf passive bumpers lit 100,200,300,400, and 500 pts then extra ball 6 steps?
I could not read the names of the 3 larger relays under the pf?
1 between the flippers
2 between the Rt ball kicker and Rt drop target
3 across from stepper unit called ?
but I would check those 3 relays first before going into the score motor

But generally it looks like a very uncomplicated game I didn't see a re set tower on the relay board
then again was only a few photos on the IPD.-HDC

#18 12 years ago

hellodeadcity,
knock down 4 drop targets, value of center target increases, and add a ball red lite, lites, hit center target, get free ball. i will look at the relays you mentioned, i have rebuild kits
ordered for the kickers anyway, so ill have the hood open on palooka for awhile! do you know where i can get a copy of the instruction card or this machine???....thanks...bob

#19 12 years ago

I'm missing a few instruction cards myself if you find a source let me know,
good luck on it - nice table Bob

#20 12 years ago

I like the photos of the backglass,,,,,palooka looks like the typical blooch youd see hangin around gyms everywhere in the 50s,,,,,

#21 12 years ago

hellodeadcity,

1 between the flippers = target relay
2 between the Rt ball kicker and Rt drop target =target reset relay
3 across from stepper unit called = advance relay

all 3 relays seem to do what they are supposed to. the target relay works in sync with the target reset relay, and the advance relay, advances the stepper switch....bob

#22 12 years ago

Try this Bob- for your lost 300 point value
locate the 300 point rivet on the advance stepper unit and take note of the wire color code,
then go to the advance relay and score relay see if you can find it? clean & re adjust using adj. tool
also make sure you buzz the rivet out (stepper unit) from front to the wire solder connection in the back .Could be an easy fix?

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from bobo:

back glass and cabinet are in pretty rough shape, dont know what im gonna do with it yet...bob

Ron Webb did a reproduction backglass a few years ago. It doesn't show on their website, so they're probably out of stock, but you could always ask if they have any left.

Palooka is a great game! I really enjoy the game play. I actually got mine as a wedding gift from my wife 19 years ago and its still in the collection. Enjoy!

#24 12 years ago

aahgo,,,,,,,,,this ron webb,,do you have an address for him on the webb,,,,,,,thanks ,,,,

#25 12 years ago

aahgo,
thanks for the info for the back glass. i will check into it. it is a great game! almost 48 yrs old, and with a few new parts, and some tlc, it still works!!!...bob

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbrain:

aahgo,,,,,,,,,this ron webb,,do you have an address for him on the webb,,,,,,,thanks ,,,,

Here is the website: http://pinballglass.homestead.com/
Here is the link for Shay who is the other reproducer of Backglasses: http://shayarcadegroup.com/index.html

#27 12 years ago

great thanks

1 week later
#28 12 years ago

hello,

i was just wondering. why do you have to load the steel ball manually, for palooka? was this machine built before automatic loaders? or was just the way williams designed this machine?....bob

#29 12 years ago

Bob;

Most EM's had a mechanical ball lift up to the mid 60's. Not sure which was the first Williams game to use the automatic lift.

#30 12 years ago

hi,
i found this instruction card, torn in half, and taped back together, inside my williams palooka machine. does anyone know, by looking at it, what game it belongs too? if someone needs it, they are welcome to it...bob

instrucardout.jpeginstrucardout.jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-my-palooka-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.