Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by teekee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Price Policing poll (good or bad)”

• Good 111 votes
      38%
    • Bad 95 votes
      32%
    • Doesn't matter to me 89 votes
      30%

(295 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

treasureofthesierramadre.jpg
    246235d1361454637t-laughing-hysterical.gif
    246235d1361454637t-laughing-hysterical.gif
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    heres-the-text-message-conversation-th.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

Is it good or bad when someone price polices in a "for sale" thread? If 80% say its bad, shouldn't a rule be put in place? Nothing ever good comes from price policing.

Sorry, I know this has been ran into the ground but I think a poll may get some attention of the mods.

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Nothing ever good comes from price policing.

Some of the threads in the Pinside Hall of Fame wouldn't be there without price policing:

1. Signed DE Star Wars thread
    2. Iron Man Classic price check thread

#3 10 years ago

Price police me all you want. The only reason why anyone would be upset by price policing is that if their pricing is too high and they are hoping that some sucker will bite. Those bottom feeders need to be kept in check. Price policing also provide a counter to the price cheerleaders.

#4 10 years ago

It's fine.

#5 10 years ago

It makes no sense to Price Police... the best way to show a seller he is too high is silence.

Everyone else is just a whiner...

#6 10 years ago

Are certain users known to price police? I know of 1 that has has posted in 3 different threads this week stirring up problems. Am I the price police police? Is that a double negative that negates my existence? Mind = blown

#7 10 years ago

Everyone should just stop worrying about it, the last thing we need is mods patrolling threads trying to decide if a comment is "price policing". If you don't want comments on your sale just put it in the marketplace and move on with your life.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you don't want comments on your sale just put it in the marketplace and move on with your life.

That's the most over used BS on Pinside... "put it in the Marketplace Ads and no will will comment" LOL! Funny...

Quoted from dantebean:

Are certain users known to price police?

Sure, there are certain guys who Price Police but all they really do is whine... jealous? miserable? prostate problems? Who knows but they are nothing but whiners....

#9 10 years ago

gonna start a "price pumping" poll too?

Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone should just stop worrying about it, the last thing we need is mods patrolling threads trying to decide if a comment is "price policing". If you don't want comments on your sale just put it in the marketplace and move on with your life.

< nods head "yes" >

#10 10 years ago

Everyone selling wants what they need. Those buying want to pay as little as possible. Price police
    express opinions regardless of whether they are interested or not. If you are not interested in a sellers post , silence may be a better , rather that complaining. All of us sell from time to time.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Everyone selling wants what they need. Those buying want to pay as little as possible. Price police
    express opinions regardless of whether they are interested or not. If you are not interested in a sellers post , silence may be a better , rather that complaining. All of us sell from time to time.

i think you'd see a lot of the "price policing" go away (actually, it seems to have declined lately) if those who express opinions to "protect" the value of the machines they own were silent as well...

the sword cuts both ways...

#12 10 years ago

Totally right about Market Place. I will never put a game for sale in this sub forum. Not because I want to screw someone over, but because there is always some ass clown that will throw in some drunken two sense about a machine they have no intention ever buying being overpriced just to make themselves feel better about their small flipper.
    At least that is my 2 cents

Plus I am pissed the Bears lost

#13 10 years ago

I may be alone on this but price policing has saved my a$$ from buying an over priced pin a few times now in my newb status.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from MAJRob:

Plus I am pissed the Bears lost

And they looked awful doing it. What happened to Cutler?

I would not hesitate to post a FS here, as I think most Pinsiders know to filter the posts that are at either extreme. The silent majority out there are a pretty reasonable bunch.

#15 10 years ago

No shortage of D bags who list games far too high & then act like victims

If I put up a BTTF for $9000 I deserve a verbal kick in the nuts

Don't want comments in the FS thread then don't open one

That's my take on it but I accept the fact others will disagree

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Don't want comments in the FS thread then don't open one

Absolutely! Also, those comments help the rest of us develop opinions on what a pin SHOULD cost. Comments are useful, up until they become personal attacks. (Not accusing you PW79)

#17 10 years ago

Teekee will disagree with me on this one, but yes, if you open a discussion thread with a pin fs, expect, well, discussion. No two people are exactly the same.

Now when things get out of hand here, unlike RGP, the mod squad may handle things.

Free speech for the human race can sometimes be overrated. .

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Absolutely! Also, those comments help the rest of us develop opinions on what a pin SHOULD cost.

Problem is too many of the whiners DON'T KNOW what a pin should cost!

Many of these Price whiners suffer from a lack of knowledge. They really don't know what they really don't know! I love it when someone is selling a HEP restored or a low play HUO title and the price whiners come a whining. They really have no clue about the high end/collector market yet they will whine and derail a perfectly good FS Post.

Silence is best when it comes to FS Posts. Too many battles started in these threads and a lot of bad blood developed here...

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

And they looked awful doing it. What happened to Cutler?

Right?! Cutler's blood sugar must have been low throughout the game...damn diabeties!

#20 10 years ago

Who would comment on a market ad anyway? Its not like someone is asking over 10k for something vanilla like say ACDC

#21 10 years ago

Unquestionably, I am a newb, but I happen to think if someone opts to post in the forum section rather than the market place, it goes with the territory that comments will follow. As long as posters refrain from personal attacks, I happen to think its all part of the game.
    I happen to think most people have the best of intentions at heart.

Are there going to be kerfuffles? Of course. Its called living in the land of the free. Having the right to openly post in a forum means one also has the right to make errors. Its difficult to legislate against stupidity.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Is it good or bad when someone price polices in a "for sale" thread? If 80% say its bad, shouldn't a rule be put in place? Nothing ever good comes from price policing.
    Sorry, I know this has been ran into the ground but I think a poll may get some attention of the mods.

So far, it looks like people think price policing is either good or doesn't matter to them. I think folks have their own general idea of what a good price is and, in the end, it doesnt really matter what a seller has their game priced at. If someone REALLY wants it, seller and buyer eventually meet no matter what someone 2 thousand miles away protests. We've seen a number of sellers lately get angry/confused/frustrated when their games don't sell and they especially get set up for comments.

#23 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I moved from bad to neutral. Like TeeKee says it's mostly noobs who don't understand "fully restored" or "HUO" values. I see good restorers get pooped on the most with price policing. I have done partial restores and I would probably go bat shit if someone degrated my work. I have yet to buy on pinside but I really haven't seen many prices that are unreasonable. I will hopefully be in the market for an a-list beginning of 2014 so we will see. If I'm going to shell out around $4k it will be with a fellow collector.

Danny

#24 10 years ago

^^^

actually, very few "high end restores" done by the usual suspects get policed... it is very rare to see any policing of a hep restored machine, for example...

"huo" means nothing, it is simply a marketing term (i especially like the "huo since xxx date" ads )... "condition" is what matters, regardless of whether it has lived in a home or on mars... "huo" is not a "condition"...

there are some with vested interests who would like to see policing go away, and blaming it on "noobs" is, ummm, convenient...

#25 10 years ago

I think sharing selling prices of recent similar sales if you have had that experience is a great idea. But just to bash some one for asking too much for a machine isn't doing anyone any good.

So for example this Spring I sold two Pin-Bot machines in the North East. I got $1250 & $1400 for those two machines. So if I saw a post where someone listed a nice Pin-Bot for say $900 I would post "seems like a great deal for someone" but if I saw a post with a Pin-Bot listed for say $2000 I might reply "seems $500 to $700 to high from my experience selling Pin-Bots this Spring".

But just bashing someone over an asking price doesn't do anyone any good in my opinion.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

I see good restorers get pooped on the most with price policing.

I certainly disagree. Most of the time when there is a really nicely restored machine posted for sale, people chime in with their compliments. On the other hand if you do shotty work, or even worse, buy a pin and do no work and then try to flip it for a silly price it's nice to see them get bashed.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I think sharing selling prices of recent similar sales if you have had that experience is a great idea. But just to bash some one for asking too much for a machine isn't doing anyone any good.
    So for example this Spring I sold two Pin-Bot machines in the North East. I got $1250 & $1400 for those two machines. So if I saw a post where someone listed a nice Pin-Bot for say $900 I would post "seems like a great deal for someone" but if I saw a post with a Pin-Bot listed for say $2000 I might reply "seems $500 to $700 to high from my experience selling Pin-Bots this Spring".
    But just bashing someone over an asking price doesn't do anyone any good in my opinion.

y'know, if everyone was like you and shared what they actually sold a machine for, that would help a lot...

but that's a rare thing... most keep actual selling prices VERY close to the vest...

the main problem is, there are too many who would post "$2k for that pinbot is a STEAL", since they have a vested interest in making it appear as if that is either the going rate/a bargain...

#28 10 years ago

We're here for you, by you. Price Police RULE.

#29 10 years ago

Even though it'll come out the same probably, start a poll/thread aboot price pumpers.

Trash that they are

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

the main problem is, there are too many who would post "$2k for that pinbot is a STEAL", since they have a vested interest in making it appear as if that is either the going rate/a bargain...

All this vested interest crap goes both ways... some that price whine have their own vested interest why they do it. And its not because they want to educate a noob...

#31 10 years ago

Where exactly does it say in the community rules that you can't comment on an ad in the marketplace here in the forum?

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

All this vested interest crap goes both ways... some that price whine have their own vested interest why they do it. And its not because they want to educate a noob...

fair enough comment... i will agree that there are those who have declared a vendetta against certain sellers...

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Where exactly does it say in the community rules that you can't comment on an ad in the marketplace here in the forum?

It doesn't.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Problem is too many of the whiners DON'T KNOW what a pin should cost!
    Many of these Price whiners suffer from a lack of knowledge. They really don't know what they really don't know! I love it when someone is selling a HEP restored or a low play HUO title and the price whiners come a whining. They really have no clue about the high end/collector market yet they will whine and derail a perfectly good FS Post.
    Silence is best when it comes to FS Posts. Too many battles started in these threads and a lot of bad blood developed here...

What a pin "should" cost, eh? If someone comments about what they deem as an outlandish price, there is nothing stopping you from coming back and defending your position. If your pin is priced right and it sells, you win! Otherwise, it was just another overpriced pin begging for some poor sap to overspend for it.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

fair enough comment... i will agree that there are those who have declared a vendetta against certain sellers...

And usually those vendettas are brought about by said seller's own cocky and/or self-righteous behavior. Ooops, guess they shouldn't have been an a-hole.

#36 10 years ago

It's dialog, and most dialog is good. If the criticism is unfair, someone will usually jump in and "correct" the criticism. I use grammar and spelling to decide whether to pay attention to the comments or not.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

I think this is spot on. Whether they have a vested interest, or they are just noobs. I also find it hilarious how unless the machine looks like it fell of a truck, people are all too happy to comment "SUPER CLEAN! SOooooooOOOsoooOOO Nice! Minty! CHerry!" And the like when most of the games are simply average to above average examples. Sometimes I wonder whether or not people even look at the pictures.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If someone comments about what they deem as an outlandish price, there is nothing stopping you from coming back and defending your position.

Ohhh, believe me, I will!

#39 10 years ago

I am a noob and I like the price police. They helped me from getting ripped off a few times.

#40 10 years ago

minty fresh...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I am a noob and I like the price police. They helped me from getting ripped off a few times.

Yeah, you told us already... if you have examples please share!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i think you'd see a lot of the "price policing" go away (actually, it seems to have declined lately) if those who express opinions to "protect" the value of the machines they own were silent as well...
    the sword cuts both ways...

That's where I have an issue. I don't particularly care for price policing, but there is tons of price pumping that goes on in this forum.

People saying HUO TSPPs are getting harder to find (they aren't). $5700 for an IM is a great price (it isn't. it may be market price, but it isn't a great price). Or that TOM is a title on the rise (it isn't, and I own one). And that's just from this weekend.

Most of the time, this stuff goes unchecked. I don't like to turn FS threads into shit shows, so I don't call it out. It's not really fair to the seller, who isn't usually involved. But it's BS.

Edit: Also, if you say something is a "great price" and it's still sitting there a week later, you should lose all of your FS thread commenting privileges. This is pinside. If something is truly listed at a "great price", it is gone quick.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

That's where I have an issue. I don't particularly care for price policing, but there is tons of price pumping that goes on in this forum.
    People saying HUO TSPPs are getting harder to find (they aren't). $5700 for an IM is a great price (it isn't. it may be market price, but it isn't a great price). Or that TOM is a title on the rise (it isn't, and I own one). And that's just from this weekend.
    Most of the time, this stuff goes unchecked. I don't like to turn FS threads into shit shows, so I don't call it out. It's not really fair to the seller, who isn't usually involved. But it's BS.
    Edit: Also, if you say something is a "great price" and it's still sitting there a week later, you should lose all of your FS thread commenting privileges. This is pinside. If something is truly listed at a "great price", it is gone quick.

< nods head yes VERY vigorously >

#44 10 years ago

The classiest move is not to comment on the price directly--unless it's a smokin' deal, or a fair deal--because the crickets and time will themselves facilitate a price reduction if priced inappropriately.

If however, the condition description is obviously overzealous, and obvious material disclosures have been overlooked intentionally or not--then it is completely appropriate to point these oversights out/pass on game-knowledge, both for the benefit of Newbie buyers, and also for those who are simply not familiar with the title.

My 2 cents.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Also, if you say something is a "great price" and it's still sitting there a week later, you should lose all of your FS thread commenting privileges. This is pinside. If something is truly listed at a "great price", it is gone quick.

I don't know about that. Herbs REALLY nice HUO LOTR was an amazing price and sat there for awhile until he dropped it under 5k.

#46 10 years ago

I don't know about that. Herbs REALLY nice HUO LOTR was an amazing price and sat there for awhile until he dropped it under 5k.

The market determines whether something is an amazing price or not. When a game sits there and has consistent price drops, it's not an amazing price. There are plenty of people on this forum who will scoop up a pin simply because it is priced below what they believe is market, and even that didn't happen.

Typically when people say something is a "great price', one of three things is happening. Either they don't understand the current market prices, or they have an incentive to say it is a "great price". And then there is the third, less common reason. The game is actually priced well, and they are right.

#47 10 years ago

when "the market" decided it reached an "amazing price" (translated: a price it would sell at), it went pretty quickly...

sammie's post that precedes this one explains that, and the last paragraph explains why it didn't sell earlier, despite many comments about how great a price it was previous to it reaching the price it eventually sold at... many people "couldn't believe" it wasn't selling (i believe you were one of them), but not one of them bought it at the "amazing price" it was originally offered at...

machines priced "amazingly" sell "amazingly fast"... there are people who make a living by buying machines at "amazing prices" and then selling them at market value...

all of that puts aside the fact that VERY few machines are offered for sale at "amazing prices" (well... amazingly low, anyway) on pinside... most machines are offered for sale at "i sure i hope i get this" prices*...

* super high end machines/high end restores not included... those have a completely different pricing paradigm...

#48 10 years ago

It didn't sell for $10k... no one on Pinside is that naive about the current market. We've seen them change hands here from $7900-$8300 recently. No one paid $10k... who really knows what happened here... if anything at all.

Found this on someone's forum posts about WOZ for sale. Price policing? Guilty dog barks the loudest.

#49 10 years ago

Prices are meant to be questioned and everyone is after a better deal, in the end it is up to the seller and buyer to determine the price........you never sell until you want to its up to what you feel comfortable with. People always have different opinions of what they will pay if you don't like the price don't pay it

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

The market determines whether something is an amazing price or not. When a game sits there and has consistent price drops, it's not an amazing price. There are plenty of people on this forum who will scoop up a pin simply because it is priced below what they believe is market, and even that didn't happen.
    Typically when people say something is a "great price', one of three things is happening. Either they don't understand the current market prices, or they have an incentive to say it is a "great price". And then there is the third, less common reason. The game is actually priced well, and they are right.

I guess this is where living in a different country comes into play (and I guess I fit into the category about not understanding current market value). Up here 5k is a steal for a LOTR in that condition, they go for upwards of 6k up here in that shape. And yes I was one of the ones that commented on his thread about how good the price was and no I didn't buy it for one reason only.......customs. If I didn't have to pay the dollar conversion and 13% tax at the border I would have bought it for sure. You guys are lucky your prices are so good down there.

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-policing-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.