You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture_023.jpg
Picture_022.jpg
Picture_019.jpg
#1 13 years ago

I am taking several parts in to have them powder coated this morning, these parts are off of my JP;

Side rails, legs, lock down bar, and auto launch gun

I was thinking of having the coin door powder coated as well...

Anyone had a coin door powder coated? Were there any issues with powder coating the hinge portion of the door?

I have never had anything power coated in the past, any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 13 years ago

I have never had anything power coated in the past, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Powder Coating involves baking powdered color pigment on the parts, in case you didn't know.

If you take the hinges apart and seal the pin holes they should be ok. The seals will have to be heat resistant of course. Are your legs chromed? I'm not sure if chrome can be done...

#3 13 years ago

I've done 3 coin doors. No problems.

#4 13 years ago

Thanks for the input guys...

So I am assuming it is necessary to pull the hinge assembly apart then?

#5 13 years ago

I think that is accurate, every time I have seen anything going to powder coat the hinges are removed. If you didn't I would assume the hinges would be stuck in place afterward. I think if you don't seal pin holes or don't want to bother with that step you would just have to grind them out a bit so things fit again after.

#6 13 years ago

Dropped off my parts, they will be ready for pick up on Friday. The guy said the hinges are not a problem at all, he said there was no need to pill the hing pin. I guess we will see how it all plays out on Friday...

#7 13 years ago

Is powder coating very expensive ?
I've heard people doing bicycle frames all the time but never seen any in person yet

#8 13 years ago

Back alley creations will powder coat your legs and trim for $250. If it didn't cost $150 to ship the stuff I would have done it already.

#9 13 years ago

Good news that makes it real easy post some pics when you get it back!

#10 13 years ago

Is powder coating very expensive ?

I thought the price was reasonable Autumnfade, $140 for all of the following;

4 legs
2 side rails
1 lock down bar
1 coin door
1 coin door frame
24 bolts, (leg bolts, door frame bolts etc.)
1 auto ball launcher

They sand blast every part, bringing them down to bare metal and then the powder coat process.

Bicycle frames would not be a problem at all, while I was there they rolled out an entire truck frame they had just completed, it looked awesome...

Thanks The Dude Abides, will post once completed!

#11 13 years ago

thanks for the info Bill2626
I noticed years ago Eastwood had a do it yourself kit but it might be more practical to drop it off at a shop and be done with it

#12 13 years ago

You can still get the pigment for it (ebay, tcpglobal). The problem is do you have a big enough oven?

1 week later
#13 13 years ago

Picked up my parts and got everything installed yesterday... Here is a few pics - I am really happy with the powder coat process, these parts look better than new!!

There is no doubt I will be visiting the powder coat shop more often, amazing quality work!

Picture_019.jpgPicture_019.jpg Picture_022.jpgPicture_022.jpg Picture_023.jpgPicture_023.jpg

#14 13 years ago

Wow, very unique looking. Great job! You should've powercoated the two bolts holding in the lockdown bar assembly, too. Looks very nice though!

#15 13 years ago

I like it a lot!!

#16 13 years ago

Wow what a great looking job. Really improves the look of JP. How did you find the shop to do the work?

#17 13 years ago

You should've powercoated the two bolts holding in the lockdown bar assembly, too.

Yea... I missed those two bolts. Ill get them done on my return trip, Im going to do my Tommy in a couple months...

How did you find the shop to do the work?

I had chrome work done at this local shop, they aslo do powder coating, just google powder coating in your local area, you should haven't have a problem finding someone local...

#18 13 years ago

Wow, that looks pretty sweet. Nice job. As said before, definitely a unique look.

#19 13 years ago

Wow that really looks great like a new machine

#20 13 years ago

Picked up my parts and got everything installed yesterday... Here is a few pics - I am really happy with the powder coat process, these parts look better than new!! []

Powder coat looks very nice, what color or finish is that called its definitely not
just plain old satin black, what do they call it ?

#21 13 years ago

what color or finish is that called its definitely not
just plain old satin black

The color is black, but it is a wrinkle finish. This is the same color and finish they put on the Harley Davidsons the shop owner tells me. The camera flash kind of makes the color look like it has a bit of grey in it, it dosen't.

#22 13 years ago

Looks Great!

11 months later
#23 12 years ago

Doh, wish I saw this before I painted the coin door on my Gottlieb. That Wrinkled looks like what is supposed to be on it. Couldn't find it at the hardware stores but it sounds like I need to go to the HD shop.

#24 12 years ago

You'd be amazed at what you can find at your local powdercoat shop for pricing. Most times you can get all the hardware on a pinball (legs, door, lockbar, side rails, hinges) done for less than $100.

#25 12 years ago

great deal. definitely worth the investment.

#26 12 years ago

Looks great!

#27 12 years ago

Turned out awesome I can see why your so happy with it!

#28 12 years ago

Looks fantastic!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-project?replies=23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.