Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have an opportunity to purchase a Phantom of the Opera and a Big Hurt for a combined price of $3100. Both are in good to excellent shape. Not collector quality, but no signinificant playfield wear. No LEDs, but everything functional. Cabinets and Translights look very good. I"ve played them and flipper action is crisp and bumper action fast. Any thoughts? Got to make the move quickly and pick up this weekend. Would appreciate anybody's advice.
Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

When I consider a multiple pinball deal, I typically put a fair value to each machine. If the sum of the two values is equal to or more than the deal amount, then I typically move forward with the deal.

If the sum of the two values is less than the deal amount, then I have to reconsider the deal and determine if I really want the two games to the degree that I am willing to overpay.

So for your deal, you have two machines.

I value Phantom Of the Opera as a $1,000-$1,500 game with $1,000 being average shape & $1,500 being very nice shape.

I value Big Hurt as a $800-$1,200 game with $800 being n average shape & $1,200 being very nice shape.

So in the condition described, I would expect to spend around $2,500-$2,700 if I were buying the games individually.

So for me, the $3,100 price tag is too high.

My values are my own, so you would need to consider your local pinball market and determine your own value for each machine individually.

But my advice would be to negotiate as I feel that you are overpaying by at least $400.

Good luck!

Marcus

#3 10 years ago

I'd rather have a B/B+ game for $3,100 than two C/C- games for $3,100...

Too expensive.

Quoted from boneman91:

I have an opportunity to purchase a Phantom of the Opera and a Big Hurt for a combined price of $3100. Both are in good to excellent shape. Not collector quality, but no signinificant playfield wear. No LEDs, but everything functional. Cabinets and Translights look very good. I"ve played them and flipper action is crisp and bumper action fast. Any thoughts? Got to make the move quickly and pick up this weekend. Would appreciate anybody's advice.
Thanks.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

When I consider a multiple pinball deal, I typically put a fair value to each machine. If the sum of the two values is equal to or more than the deal amount, then I typically move forward with the deal.
If the sum of the two values is less than the deal amount, then I have to reconsider the deal and determine if I really want the two games to the degree that I am willing to overpay.
So for your deal, you have two machines.
I value Phantom of the Opera as a $1,000-$1,500 game with $1,000 being average shape & $1,500 being very nice shape.
I value Big Hurt as a $800-$1,200 game with $800 being n average shape & $1,200 being very nice shape.
So in the condition described, I would expect to spend around $2,500-$2,700 if I were buying the games individually.
So for me, the $3,100 price tag is too high.
My values are my own, so you would need to consider your local pinball market and determine your own value for each machine individually.
But my advice would be to negotiate as I feel that you are overpaying by at least $400.
Good luck!
Marcus

Agreed. To high, especially for a package deal.

#5 10 years ago

Yea sounds too high for me also. However if the POTO does not have wear on the outlanes and a good translight it would be a good game to consider for $1600. I have only seen one that was not ripped in that area and the right loop.
Big Hurt? Blah! not even $500.

#6 10 years ago

Seems a bit high to me... $2500 would probably be a good deal if someone wanted you to take both and you only wanted one...

#7 10 years ago

Big Hurt is not a bad machine. I have not seen a decent one for under $1500. Roached out ones maybe. But not a nice one. $2500 for the pair would be fair. IMO.

#8 10 years ago

POTO does not have a translite. Make sure that backglass is in good shape and the mask printed on the front is in good shape. usually gets scratched up since it's printed on the front of the glass. If it truely doesn't have wear even by the outhole, then it's an exceptional example.

If it does not have the original backglass or it's in piss poor shape. That POTO is worth $700 tops, because you will NOT find a backglass ever. They are impossible to replace and the translite version looks like shit.

#9 10 years ago

Good catch Neo, had translight on the brain!

#10 10 years ago

Man, you guys know your stuff! Thanks for the info on the backglass Neo. I'm betting it's a translight cause I didn't notice any wear at first glance, but didn't look real hard at it.

Sounds like everyone is in agreement that the price is too high. Add to it that I'd have to drive 4 hours each way to pick them up or even re-inspect them, and I'm going to cancel the deal. Appreciate every one's input.

My wife really wants a POTO (loves the show), but we can wait a while....

Surprized everyone is down on Big Hurt. Only played it a little, but the centerfield glove toy seems interesting. Are these 90's Gotliebs difficult to work on or something?

Hey Prowler, I live near Lorton, work in Manassas. But I drive by Fredricksburg all the time. Any good places to play pins down there?

#11 10 years ago

Not really, other then my house or a couple friends.
I have had 4 POTO over the years and it's one of my wifes favs also. Really sounds good with an upgraded sound system.
Drop me an email or PM sometime. [email protected]
Brian

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Surprized everyone is down on Big Hurt. Only played it a little, but the centerfield glove toy seems interesting.

And it is. Big Hurt was high on my want list when I got into this hobby. There is way more going on than just the glove. It has great flow, a neat layout, and several different multiballs. Some seem to be generally down on Gottliebs from this era, and i will agree they made some turds, but I don't think this is one of them. It helps if you are a fan of baseball, which I am. System 3 Gottliebs are one of the most bulletproof systems out there, but I have heard they can be difficult if they ever fail. But I am yet to see a problem with any of mine.

#13 10 years ago

I own Big Hurt, and really enjoy playing it. When the kids have friends over it tends to get the most play because of the moving glove and the million different ways to get multiball. This is also the problem with the game. Multiball is entirely too easy to achieve.

Is it the greatest table ever made? No, not even close, but for the price it's a lot of fun.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Multiball is entirely too easy to achieve.

The four ball multiballs such as seventh inning stretch, grand slam derby, and world series can take some work to achieve. Two ball multiballs are part of some of the regular modes as they are in many games. But all in all there is a lot of multiball to be had. Nothing wrong with that.

#15 10 years ago

Will do Prowlerman.

I'm sure the family would enjoy Big Hurt, but I'm not sure it is worth it to drive four hours each way to pick it up.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Man, you guys know your stuff! Thanks for the info on the backglass Neo. I'm betting it's a translight cause I didn't notice any wear at first glance, but didn't look real hard at it.
Sounds like everyone is in agreement that the price is too high. Add to it that I'd have to drive 4 hours each way to pick them up or even re-inspect them, and I'm going to cancel the deal. Appreciate every one's input.
My wife really wants a POTO (loves the show), but we can wait a while....
Surprized everyone is down on Big Hurt. Only played it a little, but the centerfield glove toy seems interesting. Are these 90's Gotliebs difficult to work on or something?
Hey Prowler, I live near Lorton, work in Manassas. But I drive by Fredricksburg all the time. Any good places to play pins down there?

a quick way to tell if it's a translite or a real backglass, is if you look at the phantom. If he has a monster face, it's the translite, or someone scratched off the mask completely (ruined). If he has a mask on, then it probably is the backglass. Look for mirroring in the backglass as well as there is a ton of it on there. POTO is one of my favorites. Top 30 game of all time for me, so I know it well and will own one again someday.

Because the reason the backglass is double printed, is because, when the flasher goes off behind the phantom, the monster face shows through the mask. Translite only has the monster face and printed off the backside of the glass only. Another part that is printed on the front is a image of a guy hanging himself. WHich I think is flasher lit as well.

As far as Gottlieb system 3's go. They are built like tanks. Most here are afraid of them because they don't understand them. but they are built more solid than any other manufacturer. Problem is, while creative on a lot of layouts and designs. The rules usually suffer greatly. I personally havn't played big hurt over the 50 game limit, so I can't accurately base an opinion on it. But I can tell you Stargate is fucking awesome.

#17 10 years ago

thanks for the info, Neo. I passed on this deal, but will keep looking for a POTO.

#18 10 years ago

A Big Hurt sold for $1900 at the local auction yesterday. And there were three people that wanted it. It wasn't a buy back. Add tax and auction fees and the total paid was around $2300.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A Big Hurt sold for $1900 at the local auction yesterday. And there were three people that wanted it. It wasn't a buy back. Add tax and auction fees and the total paid was around $2300.

Wow, there is no better name for that machine at $2300....

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Wow, there is no better name for that machine at $2300....

The guy that ended up with it was a big baseball fan, and was playing the heck out of it in the morning. I'll be honest, it was one of the nicer machines there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poto-and-big-hurt-for-3100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.