(Topic ID: 64933)

POLL: Pinball new blood. When did you buy your first pin?

By frolic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When did you buy your first machine?”

• 2013 (or will buy in 2013) 76 votes
      19%
    • 2012 72 votes
      18%
    • 2011 41 votes
      10%
    • 2010 30 votes
      8%
    • 2009 19 votes
      5%
    • 2008 16 votes
      4%
    • 2007 9 votes
      2%
    • 2006 or earlier 125 votes
      32%
    • I don't own any pinballs 5 votes
      1%

(393 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-2.jpeg
    WOLVERINE_MARBLE_ACTION_LEMANS_GRAND_P.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    p5152018.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

I'm curious if the hobby is still growing like it used to (last year). Since switching to home collectors carrying the market, the only way it can grow is if new blood comes online with space and cash.

When I bought my first machine a year ago there was a definite wave of us it seemed. Is that continuing?

When did you buy your first machine?

#2 10 years ago

I bought LOTR in 2010 and the others in 2011. Nothing since.

#3 10 years ago

TZ in 2001

#4 10 years ago

Fire Power in 2004 - Never thought I would own 6 machines and start fixing/restoring them for other people

p5152018.jpgp5152018.jpg

#5 10 years ago

I had pins until getting married 12 years ago. Jumped back into pinball in October 2012.

#6 10 years ago

I've owned one since I was a little kid.

Bought my second August of 2012.

#7 10 years ago

Bounty Hunter, summer of 1993, antique store in New Hampshire. Still have it.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone that has voted so far. Keep 'em coming!

Ok, well 2013 is representing so far. Mostly I wanted to see if the trend of newbies is holding.

#9 10 years ago

June of 2012 I believe. Gorgar, thanks to the Pinball Hall of Fame by Farsight.

#10 10 years ago

Big Hurt Frank Thomas in 2000

#11 10 years ago

TZ back in march. Texas pinball festival made me pull the trigger and won over my now wife.

#12 10 years ago

I bought my first pin in 2006, found Strikes and Spares in a garage sale for $100 and it was in great condition, but didn't really get into hobby until this year.

Just sold my S&P, bought LOTR about a month back and should get an MB today. Down the rabbit hole I go...

#13 10 years ago

#14 10 years ago

Comet November 2012.
    Space Shuttle and Big Guns March 2013
    ACDC August 2013
    Looking for a really nice Comet to replace the turd that I currently have. If I can't find one then I guess I get to shop around for something else.

#15 10 years ago

Bought my first 3 pins in August 2010. More in 2010, a bunch more in 2011 and 2012. Slowing down in 2013 as my collection is about complete. I plan to spend the next decade playing them.

#16 10 years ago

Bought my first pin in 2011, my second this year, 2013. That won't be the last of them, either.

#17 10 years ago

BSD was my first - 2008

#18 10 years ago

I made a mistake on the poll and selected 2007, but looking back on my emails, my first pin was actually Batman Forever on Dec 27th, 2006. Close enough.

#19 10 years ago

I got a Gottlieb Big Shot back in the late 1980's but it was a fluke thing. Wouldn't have called it a hobby until just recently.

#20 10 years ago

Where is 1996?

#21 10 years ago

First was DH back in 2006, then moved from flat into house and then a steady incline, guess you could say 2 per year

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago

First was Spy Hunter a little over a year ago, 8/12. 3 added since, all 2013 I believe.

#23 10 years ago

Voting is not scientific but we're seeing a "peak" of new buyers in 2012.

#24 10 years ago

My first pin was given to me 50 years ago. By Santa Clause.
    It was a Wolverine LE.

WOLVERINE_MARBLE_ACTION_LEMANS_GRAND_P.jpgWOLVERINE_MARBLE_ACTION_LEMANS_GRAND_P.jpg

#25 10 years ago

I bought Space Shuttle in 1998 and boy it seems weird typing 19 something now.

#26 10 years ago

I bought RG in 2000, 10 year gap to 2010 bought BSD, then first NIB 2013 METLE would love more but have no room

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

When did you buy your first machine?

December 1994 purchased CFTBL (March 1993 build date on machine). Oops! Guess I'm not the "new blood" you're looking for here. Just started participating on Pinside this year, though.

#28 10 years ago

Hey, no problem hearing from the "old blood", we still need the data! .

#29 10 years ago

Spring last year bought first pin. Have gone through close to 20 since. Have 11 right now. May cut that down to 8 or 9 and make room for something else.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Hey, no problem hearing from the "old blood"

My blood may be old, but my body is still young. I bought GnR a little over a year ago, and that was the first pin I purchased.

#31 10 years ago

Bought first two (and only), Spy Hunter and Eight Ball, exactly one month ago today. My wife was all for it after we had a blast playing over 50 recreated pinball tables in Future Pinball. Unfortunately, owning real ones has largely ruined playing Future Pinball, even recreations of rare/expensive ones like BBB and MM.

#32 10 years ago

Bought my first (NIB LOTR) in 2005, then didn't buy another until 2012.

#33 10 years ago

Class of 2012 - represent!
    Acquired 10 in 10 months.
    Location full.
    -mof

#34 10 years ago

I voted 2008, that's when I got back into the hobby. I still had two games, in pieces, from 1990 though.

#35 10 years ago

Got my first beauty in 2004. Jurassic Park.

Sold it, bought it back, and at my house it will stay forever
    (I don't even care it's a re-import that takes like Deutsche marks or whatever, lol)

#36 10 years ago

I've enjoyed pinball most of my life, but never really had a desire to own one until recently (thanks to Pinball Arcade by Farsight and some awesome vintage arcades here in Oregon.) Mostly just wanted a few select arcade games from late '80s/early '90s - but that concept went right out the window and the collection has continued to grow and slowly start to take over my house.

One month ago I picked up Freddy: A Nightmare on Elm Street and then just a week later FirePower II. I love working on these pins even more than the video games. Out of room in the house now, but that just means time to clear out some other rooms of unnecessary items (like furniture and exercise equipment) to make more space!

#37 10 years ago

Bought the first pin I ever played when I was a teenager 17 years ago, TAF July 2013 and should have a WOZECLE sometime in nov.

#38 10 years ago

I hope 2017 will be my year.

#40 10 years ago

Bought my Black Knight back in 1999 I think, and the rest of my machines in the next 3 years or so after that. Out of room and most of mine are keepers for me, so the collection has been stable for a long time.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Great minds think alike?

yup. Was interested in the "class of 2013" to see if the trend continues.

#42 10 years ago

Pop-A-Card 1985. Spurned myself and two others to buy four more pins. Loads if beer and good times during the harsh winters in NY. ~SpOoKy

#43 10 years ago

I got sucked into the hobby in '05 with 2 free pins, Magic City and Beat Time.
    This is how drug dealers work, the first two fixes are free and before you know it there is a pinmonkey on your back.
    Em, sys. 7, sys. 11, WPC you need to keep getting a bigger fix chasing that monkey.
    Just because I unbolted the toilet seat and sent it out for powdercoat doesn't mean I have a problem does it?

#44 10 years ago

June 2013 for me. Just picked up my 2nd pin on 9-30-13
    I've collected 80's video games since 08 or 09.. Been a
    gamer since pong. I turned 44 this summer & don't see
    myself stopping anytime soon ...

#45 10 years ago

2011 after spending a day in vegas and the neat place they have out there. on the drive back to LA I slowly let my wife know what was about to happen next. now its 2013 and I have to tell her about the 5 grand I want to spend on a TZ, when will it end?? on the plus side I dont drink and drive anymore Im drinking in the garage now

#46 10 years ago

I bought my first pin, Elektra, March of this year.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Bought my first 3 pins in August 2010. More in 2010, a bunch more in 2011 and 2012. Slowing down in 2013 as my collection is about complete. I plan to spend the next decade playing them.

Wow 66 machines in 3 years!? I'm pretty close too! Ever have any pinball parties?

#48 10 years ago

Picked up my first in Spring of 2007, just added my second in August of this year. I'm in a home with a finished and fairly spacious basement now, so I'm aiming to add one a year until I run out of room.

#49 10 years ago

Bought first 2 in 2009. Met BR at an auction, collecting began.

#50 10 years ago

Also Bought my first in 2009 , a Flight 2000 an a Lethal Weapon 3

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-pinball-new-blood-when-did-you-buy-your-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.