POLL: Is your Sandman vs Spider-Man plastic broken?

Started 1 year ago by DugFreez in forum Game manufacturersStern Pinball.

POLL: Is your Sandman vs Spider-Man plastic broken?

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by DugFreez
  • 35 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Squizz

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Topic poll

• poll: Is your Sandman vs Spider-Man plastic broken?
    Yes : (27 votes)
    34 %
    No : (53 votes)
    66 %

• Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I know this poll might upset a few people. I know some may know the truth, but are living in denial.

Keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone to take part in this poll unless you can physically get up, walk to your machine and look. I have heard way too many people say "My Spider-Man doesn't have any broken plastics" followed by a "Wait....I guess it is broken".

The plastic in question is just above the left pop bumper, right in the line of fire of the Sandman webslinger. I have attached a picture of what it should look like if it's complete.

I always hear people talking about busted Sandman plastics and I have only seen one of them cracked. You can also buy protectors AND seperate replacments for them. On the other hand I have only seen two of the Sandman vs Spider-Man plastics that have NOT been broken. I don't meaned cracked....I mean broken off. Even the Spider-Man in the official Stern promo video has this plastic broken. Plus the only replacment for this is in the $180 complete plastic set.

I have heard of people having protectors for this plastic and have even heard of people making there own protectors for it, but I've never known a plastic protector seller to have them. Maybe if we get a lot (I'm guessing the majority) of Spider-Man owners asking for replacments to buy, we can get Stern to have some seperates run like the Sandman plastics.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I thought they came cracked

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine isnt cracked or broken.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

So is anyone getting a rude surprise and discovering a break for the first time when looking?

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is still perfect at 172 plays. I've heard of this issue, but where are they breaking at? I would be in on buying a spare and a protector.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is still good...knock on wood!!!! I have about 600 plays on mine.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I would buy a repro!!

Phoebe

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I would buy one too..just in case!!!

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is not broken..... Thanks for the long silent walk to my spiderman...

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine isn't broken and I have a sand pile on it so you can't see it anyway.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Nope, mine is ok.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is fine, but now I am concerned.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is fine.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Just checked on both my spidey's and the plastic is fine on both. However I do remember the ball ending up on top of that plastic a number of times in the past

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is still perfect at 172 plays. I've heard of this issue, but where are they breaking at?

Mine was 2 breaks. The first was within about 10 plays. Just a couple of games after I had all of my plastic protectors installed. It was near the bottom of the plastic (just above the pop bumper). The second break was about 2 weeks later. It was a bigger chunck.

It's easy to see why this plastic is prone to breaking. The ball comes out of the webslinger, hits the playfield (double stealth mylar on top of mylar...see what I did there). Then it shoots straight into the 2 post under the plastic. The ball hits the posts and bounces up into the bottom of the plastic where it overhangs.

I was thinking about contacting Stern and asking about the chances of making a run of these to sell seperatly (like they did the Sandman plastics). I don't know if it would do any good, but they decided to do it for the Sandman plastics.

I have a design for a protector thought out and I sure as heck wouldn't put a replacement plastic on there without one. It's just a matter of getting a replacement plastic or getting a 100% size scan to get the plastic size and shape from and then finding someone to cut it out for me. Maybe someday it will happen...I can dream.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I'm Feel Left out of this 1... I need a SM ...

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is not broken after more than 2000 plays.But while I was looking at it with rhe glass off I found a couple of bulbs that were out!

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I have one of the very first shipped games, that plastic is not broken nor has the large sandman center plastic ever broke.

Only have 2 plastics cracked. -13 and -18 which get hit by the ball dropping off the hoop VUK by the pops. I have had the Orbit brand clear protectors on the game since they were available years ago.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      DugFreez said:

I know this poll might upset a few people.

You seem a little upset yourself.

DugFreez said:

Keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone to take part in this poll unless you can physically get up, walk to your machine and look.

That leaves me out. I sold my first run game recently. (wasn't broken)

DugFreez said:

I always hear people talking about busted Sandman plastics and I have only seen one of them cracked.

Then you haven't seen enough of them on location. Trust me, the big Sandman plastic in front is much more likely to crack or break. We have tons of them on location out here on the west coast. The Century (now Cinemark) theater chain bought a boatload of them. None got protectors and probably all of them have damage on that big plastic in front.

With a cheap scroll saw, a couple of drill bits (for plastic) and a sheet of polycarbonate from home depot, you can make all the plastic protectors you want. That's what I do.

If you really wanted to scare people, you should've had them check their middle ramp. That ramp (entrance) is much more likely chip or crack than the plastic you mentioned. Plus, it's somewhat hidden, so most folks don't notice it until you point it out. Pretty much every location Spidey will have damage there.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      phishrace said:

DugFreez said:

I know this poll might upset a few people.
      DugFreez said:

Keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone to take part in this poll unless you can physically get up, walk to your machine and look.
      DugFreez said:

I always hear people talking about busted Sandman plastics and I have only seen one of them cracked.
      Then you haven't seen enough of them on location. Trust me, the big Sandman plastic in front is much more likely to crack or break. We have tons of them on location out here on the west coast. The Century (now Cinemark) theater chain bought a boatload of them. None got protectors and probably all of them have damage on that big plastic in front.
      With a cheap scroll saw, a couple of drill bits (for plastic) and a sheet of polycarbonate from home depot, you can make all the plastic protectors you want. That's what I do.
      If you really wanted to scare people, you should've had them check their middle ramp. That ramp (entrance) is much more likely chip or crack than the plastic you mentioned. Plus, it's somewhat hidden, so most folks don't notice it until you point it out. Pretty much every location Spidey will have damage there.

Thanks a lot
      Now I have to check that.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

I agree the big Sandman plastic is much more likely to crack/break. I replaced the big one and put a protector on it no problem since then. After being called out upon further inspection my Sandman vs spiderman plastic was broke as well hard to tell really with where it's at.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      phishrace said:

DugFreez said:I know this poll might upset a few people.
      DugFreez said:Keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone to take part in this poll unless you can physically get up, walk to your machine and look.
      DugFreez said:I always hear people talking about busted Sandman plastics and I have only seen one of them cracked.

I have only seen one Spider-Man on location and I had never layed eyes on a Spider-Man until I got mine in 09. I'm guessing by then that most had learned to put a protector on the Sandman plastic. Plus those plastic replacements are readily available seperatly. That is probably why I have only seen one cracked.

I am quite shocked that more people have the plastic that I am asking about intack than have them broken. I'm sure I have seen 10ish Spideys and a good 75-80% have these plastics broken.

As for the ramp you mentioned....do you mean the right ramp? All of my Spidey ramps came new with ramp protectors installed except for the left side of the right ramp....and yes mine did have a small chunk out of it as well as a horizonal crack at the entrance. I grabbed a Cliffy protector for this as soon as it was released.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      mnpinball said:

I have one of the very first shipped games, that plastic is not broken nor has the large sandman center plastic ever broke.
      Only have 2 plastics cracked. -13 and -18 which get hit by the ball dropping off the hoop VUK by the pops. I have had the Orbit brand clear protectors on the game since they were available years ago.

-13 does seem like it may be in the line of fire when Sandman is having a problem spitting out his balls (2 or 3 balls in the VUK) but breaking -18 with the webslinger seems like a hell of a wild throw.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

phishrace said:DugFreez said:I know this poll might upset a few people.
      DugFreez said:Keep in mind that I'm not looking for anyone to take part in this poll unless you can physically get up, walk to your machine and look.
      DugFreez said:I always hear people talking about busted Sandman plastics and I have only seen one of them cracked.
      I have only seen one Spider-Man on location and I had never layed eyes on a Spider-Man until I got mine in 09. I'm guessing by then that most had learned to put a protector on the Sandman plastic. Plus those plastic replacements are readily available seperatly. That is probably why I have only seen one cracked.
      I am quite shocked that more people have the plastic that I am asking about intack than have them broken. I'm sure I have seen 10ish Spideys and a good 75-80% have these plastics broken.
      As for the ramp you mentioned....do you mean the right ramp? All of my Spidey ramps came new with ramp protectors installed except for the left side of the right ramp....and yes mine did have a small chunk out of it as well as a horizonal crack at the entrance. I grabbed a Cliffy protector for this as soon as it was released.

I ran longer screws up from the bottom on the front of my Sandman plastic and put rubber barrel nuts on them.
      I pops the rubber nut off in case of a ball strike instead of breaking the plastic.
      So far it has only happened once.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      DugFreez said:

phishrace said:DugFreez said:I know this poll might upset a few people.

I am kind of surprised also...that more folks aren't finding theirs broken...Mine was broken when I got it, I am not sure I have ever seen a SM that this plastic was not broken on. When I got mine, I had to look real close, cause it is hard to see...and at first I thought it was ok, but then on closer inspection...yep it's broke...so I couldn't get it scanned for Dug to fix his.

Phoebe

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

mine is broke...HUO pin from a non pinheads house too. I have the protector set now but its already broke. My first spidey I had I sold but never noticed if that one was broke or not....

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      scottc said:

mine is broke...HUO pin from a non pinheads house too. I have the protector set now but its already broke. My first spidey I had I sold but never noticed if that one was broke or not....

Your protector set has a protector for this plastic?

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is not broken..... 2007 run and was out on route.
      The sandman plastic on the other hand was cracked bad.
      great game!
      Doug

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Here's a picture of the busted plastic in the Stern Spider-Man promo video. It looks like they have done some work on it. Like they put something else under where the plastic had busted.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Anyone have the plastic that goes unde r the green goblin available???

1 year, 11 months ago
      #
      DugFreez said:

scottc said:mine is broke...HUO pin from a non pinheads house too. I have the protector set now but its already broke. My first spidey I had I sold but never noticed if that one was broke or not....
      Your protector set has a protector for this plastic?

Yes

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

If anyone buys a set for the spidy sandman plastic ill buy the plastic under the green goblin from you. Someone would buy the big sandman as well im sure.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Hey scottc, could you post a pic of the protector that was made for the Sandman vs spiderman plastic? Where did you get the protector set from?

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

scottc.....please send me a pm with your e-mail address.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Mine is perfect but I do have a complete plastic set for backup. Spidey will be living here for a long time so I pick any extra parts when I can.

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

i put it on after the plastic broke. I think it was a pinbits set cant remeber where it came from bought the set from another pin guy

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

i put it on after the plastic broke. I think it was a pinbits set cant remeber where it came from bought the set from another pin guy

1 year, 11 months ago
      #

Checked mine tonight and still fine.

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

I have a few updates to this poll and the subject of this broken plastic.

I have no doubt that this poll is very inaccurate. Since posting it, I have noticed other people posting pictures of their spiderman machines on other threads on pinside. I have noticed that they also had this plastic broken...but they are the same people that said that their machines didn't have it broken. After asking them to look again, they have discovered that their plastic WAS broken.

I don't think they were purposely deceiveing anyone...they just didn't look, didn't look well enough or didn't know what they were looking for. It's not a very noticable plastic and it seems to break off in a smooth way that almost makes it look like it was made that way.

I have reciently bought a new plastic set ($170 woohoo!) and have found someone to make a protector for this plastic. If you do have an unbroken plastic in this location or plan on replacing the plastic, I would highly recommend getting a protector for it. The protector that he made protects the area of the plastic that seems to take hits from the pop bumber area and Sandman webslinger, but doesn't add to the thickness in the tight areas of this plastic or add any to the height of the original plastics mount. The protector mounts to the bottom of the plastic with the star post that is originally mounted on that plastic. Instead of the protector mounting ON the post where the plastic mounts, the protector SLIPS OVER the post and the plastic mounts on top of that post as it normally would.

Here is his website where he has this protector and other pinball plastic protectors and parts:

http://www.fabunlimited.com/pinball-parts.html

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

Has anyone installed the new Sandman plastic protector? What needs to be removed to install the protector under the plastic?

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

The installation steps from Jason at Fabrication Unlimited are below.

Using these steps, I was able to install the new Sandman protector from Fabrication Unlimited. Please note it took me around 1 hour since step 1 was not completely successful for me since the wireform was not able to be completely removed from the right ramp. These steps did allow enough movement to the right of the right ramp and attached wireform to gain access to the Sandman plastic to remove it and intall the protector.

Yes the protector does need to be installed under the existing plastic. While it looks like a pain to install it only takes about 10 minutes. Let me see if I can give a summary at least.

Step 1: Remove 2 screws and 1 nut holding right ramp return wireform and slide wireform down toward coin door.
      Step 2: Remove 2 screws holding clear plastic around the backside of Doc Oc and remove plastic.
      Step 3: Remove 3 screws and 1 nut holding right ramp in place, move ramp to the right to gain access to spiderman vs sandman plastic.
      Step 4. Remove 3 screws holding SM vs Sandman plastic, To remove plastic, slide plastic to the right, it will be held somewhat under the steel piece behind sandman.

Install protector under plastic, held in place by the screw that mounts the star post. Protector is further aligned during installation as it fits around the post directly above the left pop bumper.

To reinstall plastic with protector, slide plastic in from the right, make sure it goes under the steel bracket behind sandman and also under the wire gate that sticks out from the side of the one way controlled gate to the left of the top lanes. Then make sure the protector fits down around the lower mounting screw post. Only the existing plastic should be sandwiched by the screw and post.

Reassemble the rest in reverse of removal.

Thanks to Jason at Fabrication Unlimited for the protector and assistance with the installation.

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

Thanks for letting everyone know about this protector. I ordered one and will install it as soon as I get it to protect my unbroken plastic.

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

Pinbits has this protector in their full set of SM protectors.

I haven't put it on yet, but my plastic is not broken (I am first owner, HUO, and got the game last year), sandman plastic on mine is also not broken.

How many plays...I don't know <300?

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

I put Pinbits on mine as soon as I got the machine so it is good.

1 year, 9 months ago
      #

The wires that are for the switch on the right wire form were pretty tight for me. So I snipped the wire tie that was holding them to the post (and put another one on when I was finished). I also completely removed the right ramp (I had to disconnect the harness for the flasher in the back and also the harness for the switch from under the playfield). This add a good bit of time to my install, but it was still much easier than I though it was going to be and still much less trouble than installing the Sandman plastic protector was.

After seeing these instructions, I see this install could have been much quicker if I would have just took the ramp loose and slip it to the side for getting this plastic off and the protector put on.

This plastic was broken for me very early on when I bought the game new. I have to say after putting a replacement one on (with the protector) it was instantly noticable to me. Even though it's in an out of the way place...after playing it for 2+ years broken and then seeing it complete...it just jumps out at me as being different (in a good way).

1 year, 9 months ago
      #
      SealClubber said:

I put Pinbits on mine as soon as I got the machine so it is good.

I put a complete Pinbits set on the day I unboxed my game (June 09). When I ordered from them, I even asked to take bits and pieces from the 2 sets they offer, so I would have every protector they made for spiderman. Neither of the sets included a protector for this area when I bought mine.

1 year, 9 months ago
      #
      The_Dude_Abides said:

I agree the big Sandman plastic is much more likely to crack/break. I replaced the big one and put a protector on it no problem since then. After being called out upon further inspection mine was broke as well hard to tell really with where it's at.
      Post edited by The_Dude_Abides

Same here, I thought mine was intact just glancing at it, I had to pull the game to get a good look at it and see the edge is missing.
      Looks like the game modded it for me and no further action is required.

1 year, 5 months ago
      #

Bringing this thread back to life. Mine is broken and I would like a replacement. If anyone has one or makes one let me know. Otherwise I will be the protector and live with it. Thanks, MIke

1 year, 5 months ago
      #

Mine is broken as well. I would love to find a replacement versus buying an entire new plastic set.

I have the Pinbits plastic protectors and there was a plastic protector for this piece. The right side of the plastic where spiderman is is where mine is broken.

1 year, 5 months ago
      #
      jorge5240 said:

Bringing this thread back to life. Mine is broken and I would like a replacement. If anyone has one or makes one let me know. Otherwise I will be the protector and live with it. Thanks, MIke

Mine is not cracked or busted and I've had it since 2008 with *no* protector. But I also have a back-up NOS plastic set, just in case.

Besides, you go out and buy a $6K pinball machine and then complain about buying a measly $170 plastic set? Really???

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple