39.png
38.png
37.png
36.JPG
35.png
34.png
32.png
29.png
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

That doesn't look bad at all. I'd personally prefer a semi gloss... but the gloss doesn't look bad. What does the powdercoat cost for a door, with your doing all the prep?

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

That doesn't look bad at all. I'd personally prefer a semi gloss... but the gloss doesn't look bad. What does the powdercoat cost for a door, with your doing all the prep?

Hi John,

I pay $35 per door. Don't tell me you're coming over to the dark side

Here's a pic of the door on the cabinet (sorry the lighting wasn't agreeable):

1.JPG1.JPG

Here's another close up pic under better lighting:

2.JPG2.JPG

#103 10 years ago

Well, can't put a coin door on without the bolts right.....

I always spruce up the cabinet bolts prior to reinstalling them. A rusty/corroded bolt stands out like a sore thumb on a nice new cabinet First, I remove the existing paint. This can be done numerous ways, but I usually just clean the bolts on a wire wheel. It only takes a few seconds per bolt, so it's quick and easy. After I've remove the original paint I degrease the bolts and get them setup for painting.

3.JPG3.JPG 4.JPG4.JPG
#104 10 years ago

Here's a close up look at a finished bolt:

5.JPG5.JPG

I use gloss black Rustolem 2X painters touch for the base coat. I then follow that up with a gloss clear top coat.

1.png1.png
#105 10 years ago

Now it's time to start rebuilding the cabinet. Personally, I'm not crazy about the look of galvanized metal, so I typically have the original power boxes chromed or nickle plated. It's an unnecessary expense, but man it does make a big difference aesthetically.

1.JPG1.JPG
2.JPG2.JPG

The transformer base plate was powder coated in a "metallic silver." Again, I'm not a big fan of the galvanized look. Remember, powder coating is an insulator so you'll need to tape (using heat tape) off any areas you want grounded prior to having the powder applied. For example, the rear section of the base plate that the ground braid touches in the picture above needs to provide a grounding point for the transformer - hence this is an area where I'd use heat tape.

#106 10 years ago

Buffing is an addiction

3.JPG3.JPG

I know it's silly, but it does look nice for the first 6 months.

#107 10 years ago

Those shiney parts really look nice!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

MikeD is the Buff-Master!

That's what she said.

#110 10 years ago

Wow! Amazing. Really enjoy seeing your work.

2 weeks later
#111 10 years ago

anxiously waiting

1 week later
#112 10 years ago

Lets talk about coils......

First, no solenoid looks complete without a nice "fresh" coil wrapper. So, where do you get new coil wrappers from? Well, you can buy them from Planetary Pinball; they sell complete replacement kits for games. The average price per kit is usually around $30, just depends on the game.

News flash - restorations aren't cheap, so I'm happy to save $$$ when I can. That's why I make my own coil wrappers. Ok, I don't actually make them, but I have a good friend that does

Here's my stash:

2.png2.png
3.png3.png
4.png4.png

Photoshop is your friend and it's only a couple hundred bucks. I'd recommend getting the full Abobe Creative Suit for around $500. This gives you Illustrator as well.

The wrappers in the pictures above were printed using a LaserJet printer. Actually, it was this one right here:

5.png5.png

#113 10 years ago

Alright, lets look at a typical coil. The one on the left is a finished product and the one on the right needs a bath.

6.png6.png

For starters, I'll throw the used coil sleeve in the trash (they're cheap - just replace them). Then using a new sleeve, I'll verify that the coil has not swelled as a result of overheating. If the sleeve slides freely inside the coil then you're most likely good to go. However, I always test the resistance of each solenoid to ensure the coil is still within spec.

7.png7.png
8.png8.png

Here's a good link for those that haven't found it yet (tons of coil info here):

http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

Alright, the coil is still good - time to start cleaning.

#114 10 years ago

I've been experimenting with new chemicals and ZEP seems to have a decent citrus degreaser that works pretty well.

9.png9.png

You can clean your coils in an Ultrasonic, but don't use the heat setting as it might cause your coils to swell.

Honestly, I find it easier to just clean the coils by hand. Either way you'll get the job done.

10.png10.png
11.png11.png

After I'm happy with my cleaning efforts I use an air compressor to dry the coil off (a pancake style unit will do).

13.png13.png

#115 10 years ago

I like to clean the lugs on the coils as well. This is done with a brass brush. Don't go crazy brushing the plastic, just the lugs.

12.png12.png

Ok, here's the coil all cleaned up:

14.png14.png

Now it's time to apply a new wrapper. To do this I use 3M tape (the same stuff PinRestore sells).

15.png15.png
16.png16.png

I put a one inch strip of the double sided tape on both ends of the wrapper.

17.png17.png

#116 10 years ago

Finally, here's what the finished product looks like:

Before:

6.png6.png

After:

18.png18.png

Now I'll put this guy with my other coils.

19.png19.png

#117 10 years ago

Here are a few pics of coil assemblies with fresh clean coils installed:

20.png20.png
21.png21.png
22.png22.png

FYI - the flipper bracket and slingshot bracket were buffed while the saucer coil bracket was simply tumbled. Can you see a difference? More on tumbling later.

#118 10 years ago

OMG YOU POLISHED THE SLAM TILT BACKER BUT NOT THE COIL PLATES WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

OMG YOU POLISHED THE SLAM TILT BACKER BUT NOT THE COIL PLATES WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!

Everybody's a critic

#120 10 years ago

For the sake of being thorough, here are a few pics of the finished MM coin door.

24.png24.png
25.png25.png

After all the powdered parts are reassembled I install new reproduction decals, even the "inspection by" stick. One door down 5 more to go

26.png26.png
#121 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Lets talk about coils......
First, no solenoid looks complete without a nice "fresh" coil wrapper. So, where do you get new coil wrappers from? Well, you can buy them from Planetary Pinball; they sell complete replacement kits for games. The average price per kit is usually around $30, just depends on the game.
News flash - restorations aren't cheap, so I'm happy to save $$$ when I can. That's why I make my own coil wrappers. Ok, I don't actually make them, but I have a good friend that does
Here's my stash:

Photoshop is your friend and it's only a couple hundred bucks. I'd recommend getting the full Abobe Creative Suit for around $500. This gives you Illustrator as well.
The wrappers in the pictures above were printed using a LaserJet printer. Actually, it was this one right here:

2.png 680 KB

3.png 697 KB

4.png 754 KB

5.png 613 KB

What kind of paper do you use to print out the coil wrappers?

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from SJJ:

What kind of paper do you use to print out the coil wrappers?

WPC - Just regular 11" x 8" stock white paper. I've experimented with colored paper, but could never get the colors factory originial. My buddy just tweaked the wrapper colors in Photoshop to get them the way we wanted.

Older Bally - These are printed on masking tape to help reproduce the original textured look.

#123 10 years ago

Are the wrapper files available with the Williams logo on them? The only ones I have found seem to be without it. Copyright issue?
I am sure I can make them myself, but why recreate the wheel.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Are the wrapper files available with the Williams logo on them? The only ones I have found seem to be without it. Copyright issue?I am sure I can make them myself, but why recreate the wheel.

Why not buy a set directly from Planetary, scan them, and make your own wrapper in the future?

#125 10 years ago

Nice work. Are you also printing the warning labels on stock white paper, then sticking them on with the 3M tape? Or are you printing on some form of self-adhesive gloss paper?

#126 10 years ago

Here's a good before and after comparison picture:

The transformer on the left needs to be cleaned up. The transformer on the right has been cleaned and repainted.
So, here's what I do: (1) Remove the L-brackets, which is the bulk of the work, (2) carefully clean the wires using Purple Power and a tooth brush, (3) use a clean rag to dry all the wires off and remove any residual Purple Power, (4) use blue 3M painters tape to wrap all the wires leaving only the metal sections of the transformer exposed, (5) use a coarse Scotch-Brite pad to scuff up the metal portion of the transformer, (6) blow off any dirt/dust with compressed air, (7) use a tack rag to remove any remaining dirt/dust, (8) use Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss Black Painters Touch rattle cans to paint the transformer. I do several light coats; waiting 24 hours in between coats.
I know, you don't even see the transformer once the game is assembled, but it looks so much better this way

30.png 1.6 MB

If the Transformer is really rusty and dirty like thisGEDC0029.jpgGEDC0029.jpg is it safe to clean it up using your process. I would love for my Transformer to not be a eyesore.

2 weeks later
#127 10 years ago
Quoted from WannaTheater:

Nice work. Are you also printing the warning labels on stock white paper, then sticking them on with the 3M tape? Or are you printing on some form of self-adhesive gloss paper?

They are printed on standard stock paper and then laminated to give a glossy appearance. Yes, I use the 3M tape to apply the labels.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Koolbrez67:

If the Transformer is really rusty and dirty like this is it safe to clean it up using your process. I would love for my Transformer to not be a eyesore.

GEDC0029.jpg 148 KB

For paint to properly adhere to a metal surface you’d need to remove all the rust and contaminates. I suspect you could get that transformer looking much better with a little elbow grease and a metal wire brush. FYI - I’d only attempt to clean that guy by hand. I’d use a welding brush to scrap the rust away and then blow the whole thing off with an air compressor.

This tool: http://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-Welding-Stainless-00303/dp/B0000DD6JI

It’s hard to say how nice your transformer will clean up, but it can’t look much worse

I guess it’s up to you to decide if you want to try it. Good luck - hope this helps.

#129 10 years ago

It’s hard to say how nice your transformer will clean up, but it can’t look much worse
I guess it’s up to you to decide if you want to try it. Good luck - hope this helps.

Koolbrez - if you try it post up the process & results pics on a thread!

#130 10 years ago

Wow, this stuff is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing! Subscribed/Favorited!

#131 10 years ago

For paint to properly adhere to a metal surface you’d need to remove all the rust and contaminates. I suspect you could get that transformer looking much better with a little elbow grease and a metal wire brush. FYI - I’d only attempt to clean that guy by hand. I’d use a welding brush to scrap the rust away and then blow the whole thing off with an air compressor.
This tool: amazon.com link »

Thank you so much for the response I look forward to posting how it looks when it's all done. Thank you for your time.

#132 10 years ago

Looks great,Thanks for sharing

#133 10 years ago

To add a different dimension to the transformer thing-
The last one I cleaned up was a mess. I used a wire brush, like mike shows, but also used a small wire wheel attached to a drill. Once it was all nice and clean, I applied several coats of blue gunmetal liquid (like that used on flaps). Paint on, whipe off. Repeat. Time will tell on how well it will last.

My next one I may paint using Mike's method. We know how great his methods turn out!

1 week later
#134 10 years ago

What would a nice garage work shop be without an insulated garage door, especially here in the "humidity state" I mean "sunshine state"

Here are some pics of my original (builder grade) overhead door:

1.png1.png
2.png2.png

Of course my home has a westward facing garage door, so those windows make my mini-split system work overtime in the afternoons. Plus, the door is basically just sheet metal, so it's like having a big hole in the wall.

Now here's the new door:

3.png3.png
4.png4.png

No more windows I insulated the walls when our house was built, so now I just need to get the attic done.

Windows in garage doors allow unnecessary heat to enter your "Mancave", but more importantly they pose a security threat as well. Checkout how easy it is to break into a garage with windows:

#135 10 years ago

A couple of more notes on the garage door (in case some of you might be in the market for a new one):

I purchased a CHI door. The panels fit together via tongue and groove and are 2 inches thick. Each panel is constructed of steel, both front and back. The inner section of each panel is filled with spray foam insulation, giving the door an R17 rating.

Here are some more before and after pics:

(Before)

5.png5.png

I hate crappy wiring jobs. Why have all that excess photo eye wiring exposed?

(After)

6.png6.png

The new motor is belt driven, so it's much less nosiey. I went with a LiftMaster unit that can be controlled via a smart phone, so that's pretty cool. I also opted for the upgraded mounting hardware; gives it a cleaner look (no more angle).

(Before)

7.png7.png

(After)

8.png8.png

You know you have a powder coating addiction when you get your garage door hardware powder coated

Hey, it looks better right?

2 weeks later
#136 10 years ago

Well, I know this thread has become more focused on my "garage remodel" rather than restoration tips, but you gotta have a nice work space right So, I picked up a bunch of Gladiator cabinets from Sears this weekend. I really like the look and construction of these cabinets (they are reasonably priced as well). If you're looking at tool boxes and cabinets, I highly recommend these:

9.png9.png

Everything in my work area is on wheels, so it's easy to move stuff around, even my Rotisserie.

10.png10.png

11.png11.png

4 weeks later
#137 10 years ago

I hate WPC95 circuit board mounting plates - you know, that fugly thing in the backbox that all the circuit boards are mounted on

Man, those things look awful. I've buffed them, polished them, you name it, they just never look quite right. Then one day I decided to try spray painting one, hell why not? What a difference that made. Here are a few pics:

12.png12.png 13.png13.png 14.png14.png
#138 10 years ago

why didn't you powder coat it?

#139 10 years ago

No real reason, just wanted to try painting it first. The only drawback to powdering larger flat objects is that powder naturally orange peels. Typically powder looks better on metals parts with curves (like pinball legs). I’ve found metallic powder look best on flat surfaces; it hides the orange peel better than a solid color does.

#140 10 years ago

I hate WPC95 circuit board mounting plates - you know, that fugly thing in the backbox that all the circuit boards are mounted on

I thought the reason for that plate was for grounding purposes (connects all boards to a common ground)?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

I thought the reason for that plate was for grounding purposes (connects all boards to a common ground)?

Didn't paint the back

4 months later
#142 9 years ago

Well, haven't posted here in awhile

So, here's an update on the workshop:

(1) I decided to replace the rubber floor mat with Gladiator titles. These are substantially better. A little pricey, but well worth it IMO.

15.png15.png

(2) I also finally got around to installing the Gladiator trackwall system. Big thanks to Mike W. and Biker Bob for helping me install these.

Before:

16.png16.png

In Process:

17.png17.png

Everything was going well until we ran into these damn electrical panels:

18.png18.png

After some creative (and very time consuming) jigsaw work, here's the finished product:

19.png19.png

Now I've just got to buy a 100 drywall screws and spray paint them white. Then I'll permanently mount the trackwall panels.

1 month later
#143 9 years ago

I had some free time this weekend to work on the garage. So, here's a quick update:

One of the biggest issues with converting your garage into a workshop is the lack of electrical outlets present. Generally speaking, home builders only do what they absolutely have to and installing a ton of service outlets in the garage isn't a code requirement. In addition, 120VAC circuits, like your wall outlets, are only run on 15 amp circuits. So, I have one 15 amp circuit powering all of my garage lighting as well as all the service receptacles. This creates a problem if you want to run power hungry tools like a compressor for example. So, I added the following circuits to my new 100 amp sub-panel:

1) 20 Amp Plugmold circuit - (this is run behind my work benches, with one outlet every foot)

20.png20.png
21.png21.png

2) 20 Amp 30' chord reel - (I hate untangling knotted up extension chords, so this is a must have IMO)

22.png22.png

3) 30 Amp 240 single phase circuit - (for big toys )

23.png23.png

4) Finally, I added two Ethernet cables routed from my home office. I still need to finish up the wall plate connections. This will make it convenient to view teardown pictures when reassembling pinball machines.

24.png24.png

I still have some more work to do on the electrical, but at least I'm better off than I was yesterday

#144 9 years ago

Can you show how you've utilized the trackwall? My shop still is unfinished.... just sheet rock. Its become a disaster as I've committed to no organizational system.

#145 9 years ago

I was hoping you were still posting in this thread Mike! Lots of great info here

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Can you show how you've utilized the trackwall? My shop still is unfinished.... just sheet rock. Its become a disaster as I've committed to no organizational system.

I can relate; I've restored many machines in a 10'x11' spare bedroom = insanity........

I'll post more on the track system once I get everything finished.

#147 9 years ago

I've received a few emails recently regarding air compressors - "Which one would you recommend Mike?" I'm certainly no expert on air compressors, but since a few of you've asked here's my 2 cents:

For starters, unless you are running die grinders or sand blasting for hours on end, I don't see the need to purchase a huge air compressor for a home workshop. I'm fortunate that my real job allows me access to this:

Big Fing Air Compressor.pngBig Fing Air Compressor.png

Unless you want to spend $60k on an air compressor the size of your car you might want to consider something a little smaller, like this:

Small Fing Air compressor.pngSmall Fing Air compressor.png

This is a simple 5 gallon Kobalt air compressor you can purchase at Lowes. Supposedly it can provide 5 cfm at 90 psi, which is plenty for just about anything other than a handful of tools (air sanders, sandblasters, die grinders, etc.). I use Festool sanders, so that eliminates the need for an air actuated sander. I use my dremel for die grinding type applications at home, so that eliminates the need for a die grinder. Well, I do use the one at work from time to time

Anyway,before you go crazy buying a huge air compressor you might want to consider whether or not you really need one.

FYI - I do recommend investing in a hose reel though, it's just easier to work with and makes cleaning up easier.

Anyway, hope this helps.

#148 9 years ago

I need to get new doors and an air conditioner unit like you have.. perhaps next year. Awesome setup.

#149 9 years ago

lots of great info here mike and a top setup, thanks for sharing

#150 9 years ago

It's a work in progress

Unfortunately, building an air conditioned workshop and buying good quality tools isn’t cheap. However, selling 4 pinball machines (MB, TOTAN, WH2O, and STLE) has certainly helped fund this ongoing project. The reality is I’d rather work on pinball machines than play them, so I guess I made the right decision - selling all my restored BW titles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 11.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-restoration-rampage/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.