(Topic ID: 75458)

Pinside's new years resolutions (random thoughts) and a happy new year!

By robin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

newyear.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Warning: long ramblings incoming. Proceed at your own risk!

As 2013 is coming to an end (and for some of you Pinsiders in Australia and New Zealand it already has) I am looking forward to what 2014 will bring! With around a dozen manufacturers, old and new, working on new games it's probably going to be a spectacular year for pinball and I hope the Pinside will continue to be the place to be for talk about all this silver ball goodness!

For me, 2013 was first and foremost about my daughter Fenna who was born on March 10th. No one can prepare you for that but it's all going great! As for Pinside, it was the year of the big server move and large visual changes to the site and mostly to the forum. This was generally well received and most things appear to be working well (hey, we survived MMR night!) Some unforeseen things too and many small bugs which I have yet to fix.

There are also some negatives that I want to address. One of the main rules for participating on this site is "be nice". This site is intended as a positive place, you know, like that game of pinball you play after a hard days work (well, for some of you during your work). However, a small group of Pinsiders keep popping on my radar for their negative contributions to the site. We have our ban system but this doesn't seem to be doing much to stop this. One of my new years resolutions is to start being less forgiving towards this behaviour. In other words, I'm gonna be digging up the old ban hammer soon. No hard feelings, but you will need to take this banter, fun, goofing, trolling or whatever you want to call it some place else. Pinside doesn't have to be all rainbows and butterflies all the time, but having your name appear in every single locked thread is not something to be proud of.

Other than trolling and name calling, I think Pinside needs to be careful not to be too negative sometimes towards the manufacturers. It's real easy to be negative but I feel we could be a bit more constructive in our criticism sometimes. Especially towards Stern and JJP. These companies are building new games and keeping our hobby alive. I am very honoured to have some of the industry greats participating/lurking on Pinside (like Dennis Nordman, Keith Johnson and John Popadiuk). JJP staff is already posting here and I hope that we will be welcoming some Stern people on the site as well in the future. For that to happen, I'm asking all of you to keep it respectful towards these companies and towards each other. Even if you are not buying the latest games I think that them adding new games to the market is a pretty good thing for everyone enjoying pinball.

What we should be proud of is a bunch of things, often completely spontaneous actions like the Tommy project and the beautiful posters to go along with it. And on the last day of 2013 Pinsiders got together and showed their true spirit beyond the game of pinball: we successfully (helped) fund a wheelchair for a beautiful little girl in Chicago, IL - While it has zero to do with pinball it makes me incredibly proud for founding this community.

Pinside exploded during Expo and the PPS Medieval Madness remake announcement and we hit record breaking numbers that night. But it was a great year overall with over 44 million page views in over 5 million visits from nearly a million unique visitors! That's 86% growth in pageviews, compared to the previous year. Unfortunately, as our storage needs are also increasing, so are our costs. I'm expecting another server move this year (at least for the images because my current solution for storage at S3 turns out to be rather expensive) but without having to rewrite large parts of code this time. I hope to keep downtime to a minimum but it will require some, I'm afraid.

Commercially, Pinside is increasingly being found and utilised by people who have made pinball their business in some ways. Distributors, parts suppliers, mod makers and repair professionals. And that's great! This synergy is good for the hobby and I love seeing al the new stuff that everyone is coming up with. Software updates for old games, 3D printed asteroids, undercab lighting kits, Emerald city mods, pinball firmware browser software and awesome alternative translites. Keep it up! However, I must beware that people are not taking advantage of the Pinside communit.

For 2014 I am planning to keep Pinside ad free and user supported I must admit I have been thinking about ways to raise some more income to allow me to do less "work work" during the day and more "pinside work" thus spending less nights behind a computer to keep the site running smoothly. But the site will always be free to participate (well, at least for non commercial use). Hey, maybe one day this site could be a full time job

Last but not least, I want to thanks the moderator team for all their work on the forum. It's a tough job, sometimes unrewarding and it's not easy to be 100% fair all the time. I think they're all doing a great job and without them this site would have long gone down the internet gutter. For the coming year I hope to do away with the Pinside contact form and find a way to have moderators and/or editors be able to help me answer the many dozens of questions and PMs I get every week. Answering questions is currently taking up a lot of my time and while I like getting mail it's getting a bit too much lately

Anyways, thanks for reading this ramble. Those were all just some random thoughts as we're closing in on 2014. I wish all of you Pinsiders a fantastic 2014 and hope to see you next year!!!

Robin

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for running a great website!

#3 10 years ago

Happy New Year everyone, and thanks to Robin and the mods for a great pinside!

#4 10 years ago

Look forward to 2014 for the community and pinball around the world!

#5 10 years ago

We can't thank you enough for all you do, Robin. I for one spend more time on this site than any other and really respect and appreciate what you do. You *should* be proud of all the aforementioned accomplishments.

#6 10 years ago

Looking foward a LOT to the slapping-down forthcoming for people that can't seem to keep -anything- civil. It's been needed for a while, IMO. The name calling, trolling, baiting, etc has gotten way out of hand.

#7 10 years ago

Cheers to Robin!

fun place to waste time and talk pinball!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from molspin:

We can't thank you enough for all you do, Robin. I for one spend more time on this site than any other and really respect and appreciate what you do. You *should* be proud of all the aforementioned accomplishments.

Ditto!

I wish all of my Pinside friends and family a safe and blessed New Year!

#9 10 years ago

Robin, good luck with the house cleaning. It is unfortunate that it has gone as far as it has. Moderating this place hss to be one of the toughest jobs around. It is a shame that a simple PM cant slow some folks down.

And congratulations on the child!!! Way more meaningful than any hobby.

#10 10 years ago

First off – congrats to being a new dad!
    And second... thanks for giving all of us this fantastic "playroom" to talk about pinball 24-7.

-Ran

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for putting together and running an outstanding website. I have created several myself, and this one is so much better than anything I constructed. Very impressive.

Thanks, too, for your efforts to return civility to Pinside. It seems like a small group of people here just can't be happy unless they are making others unhappy. The behavior appears downright pathological at times. Of course, you already understand that, for which I am grateful.

Finally, congratulations on joining the dad club. There is no experience like being a parent. Actually, some of the best times I have with my son are when we play pinball together. (Unfortunately, my daughter shows no interest, but we do other things.)

Best wishes for 2014, Robin. You're a great asset to pinheads worldwide.

#12 10 years ago

Have not been around for long but love this site and it has become my favorite on the net. Agree with you about welcoming the new companies. Without Stern, JJP and the others its like living in the past and I sure love pinball too much to do that.

Thanks for doing this Robin

P.S. as soon I hit the 1 year membership I'll be sending you a check

#13 10 years ago

Bump.

Happy New Year to everybody on Pinside!

#14 10 years ago

Thank you Robin.

And thank you for your efforts to always make Pinside better.

LTG : )

#15 10 years ago

New guy with just one game, but this is hands-down my favorite site. Thank you Robin, and all of you Pinsiders who make me laugh everyday. Happy 2014 !!

#16 10 years ago

Happy New Year to all, and a thank you to Robin for all that you do!

#17 10 years ago

Happy New Year to Robin and all of Pinside. Good lord I spend a lot of time here.

#18 10 years ago

Thanks for all you do Robin! Maybe there's a way for businesses that leverage the forums to help support it. Oh wait anyone can donate - think I'll do that when I get back home.

#19 10 years ago

Thank you Robin for an amazing place to hang out and happy new year to all!

#20 10 years ago

Thanks Robin, congrats for this amazing work and Welcome Fenna!
    Pinside is a great place. I only notice the good vibes and ignore the name calling...

Happy new year!

#21 10 years ago

Cheers and Happy New Year! Thank you Robin and everyone on Pinside. I have learned tons and have met a lot of great people because of Pinside. I really enjoy talking with people that can understand being a pin-head with an obsession. I love you guys and here is to a great year in 2014!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

We have our ban system but this doesn't seem to be doing much to stop this. One of my new years resolutions is to start being less forgiving towards this behaviour. In other words, I'm gonna be digging up the old ban hammer soon. No hard feelings, but you will need to take this banter, fun, goofing, trolling or whatever you want to call it some place else.

Only two words pop in my mind when reading this: teekee and WOZ. Like, instantly pop.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Only two words pop in my mind when reading this: teekee and WOZ. Like, instantly pop.

Funny, the two words that popped into my head were "RGP bitching".

#24 10 years ago

Congrats on your new addition Robin, and thank you for the excellent site. I have already tried to tread more lightly and stay out of the war threads as they now give me a headache mainly.

Any cure for pinside addition I would love to hear about it?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

However, a small group of Pinsiders keep popping on my radar for their negative contributions to the site. We have our ban system but this doesn't seem to be doing much to stop this. One of my new years resolutions is to start being less forgiving towards this behaviour. In other words, I'm gonna be digging up the old ban hammer soon. No hard feelings, but you will need to take this banter, fun, goofing, trolling or whatever you want to call it some place else.

So Im getting banned eh?

#26 10 years ago

Thanks again Robin,

My enjoyment of this hobby has increased greatly in-part to the great efforts of Pinside.I'm looking forward to what this hobby brings us in the coming year.

Best wishes for 2014, Keith

#27 10 years ago

centerflank to me personifies how you can be a little irreverent and have fun here without crossing the line into the negative trolling and outright hate that some people have slipped into. Positive vibes!

#28 10 years ago

Thank you, Robin, for making this such a great place to visit. I check in multiple times a day and have learned an immseurable amount just from reading.

#29 10 years ago

Thanks Robin, and thanks to the mods too! Except Tigerlaw.

#30 10 years ago

Beste wensen Robin!!

#31 10 years ago

Nuff said.......except......No need to wait to contribute, if it's in your favs then say thanks the best way you can.

#32 10 years ago

Happy New Year to Robin and Family. (Pinside Family too!)

newyear.jpgnewyear.jpg
    #33 10 years ago

My pinball resolutions for 2014 are:
    1. get my first new in box game
    2. To not admit in public that I like south park pinball
    3. To try and meet some insiders near me.

Happy new year everyone !

3 months later
    #34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Peppers:

My pinball resolutions for 2014 are:
    1. get my first new in box game
    2. To not admit in public that I like South Park pinball
    3. To try and meet some insiders near me.

So how is the NY resolutions going!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsides-new-years-resolutions-random-thoughts-and-a-happy-new-year and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.