(Topic ID: 12092)

Pinside forum post ratings! (Coming soon!)

By robin

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jwwhite15
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

showing-calculation.jpg
    current-score.jpg
    rate-post.jpg
    unrated-post.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Hello my Pinside friends, today I would like to ask some help from you with regards to a new feature I have been developing in the past two weeks. It's called "post ratings".

Some of you may remember this idea as being called "moderation for the masses" but while developing this, I figured this can do so much more than just moderation. It's a way to reward good posts (and to some extend punish bad ones) on the Pinside forum.

Interested? Read on...

Goals
    The goals of this system are:
    - increase quality of posts on the forum by awarding points to them!
    - create a mechanism for Pinsiders to give feedback to the posts of other Pinsiders.
    - allow Pinsiders to "filter" topics by auto-hiding posts rated below a certain threshold
    - award karma points based on the post's rating (default still 15 points, but now ranging from -15 to 45 points for a post)
    - have a way to identify good posters, good topics (and maybe feature them?)

Current implementation
    - Each post has a small rating bar, showing the amount of ratings and the post's score
    - Hold your mouse over this rating bar to expand the rating window
    - Click a rating to add your post rating

How scoring works
    - Each post has a base vote (from the Pinside System) of 1 point
    - Say user A adds a vote "Informative" of 2 points
    - Say user B adds a vote "On-topic" of 1 point
    - The total score for this posts is now 1 + 2 + 1 = 4 points
    - Divide by the number of votes to get the multiplier: 4 / 3 = 1.3x
    - the post thus scores 15 X 1.3 = 20 points (rounded up)

To Do
    - I still want to add a "Tilt Warning" button. Everyone, including the poster, can click this to give a tilt warning to the post, meaning it might be deemed NSFW or too graphic or insulting to someone. People who want to browse the Pinside safely (for example at work or on the couch next to the kids) can enable the "Tilt" and thus hide these posts. Most important thing to note is that this is a CHOICE each user can make.

Notes:
    - You cannot rate your own posts (you can give Tilt Warning for your own post)
    - You can only rate if your karma is 1000 or higher (Tilt Warning when karma > 500)
    - You cannot rate posts older than ... 1 week (?) Not sure yet, any thoughts on this?

See screenshots to get the idea. I hope to have a real test version for you all to play with coming friday.

Any feedback is welcome! Should I use different points? Different rating captions? Let me know your thoughts. I hope this will improve everyone's Pinside experience.

A post without score looks like this:

unrated-post.jpgunrated-post.jpg

Hold your mouse over the score and the rating form appears:

rate-post.jpgrate-post.jpg

Add your rating and the post will now have a score:

current-score.jpgcurrent-score.jpg

You can even check the distribution of votes:

showing-calculation.jpgshowing-calculation.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Nice!

#3 12 years ago

Great move Robin!

#4 12 years ago

love the idea.

#5 12 years ago

Good idea and I love the pop bumper icon. As long as no one (it has to be many I guess) abuses the -1 feature it will work out great. I know on other sites people will sometimes start -1 ing just because they don't like the person.

#6 12 years ago

Nice!

But one more... Here are a lot person, who helps on the others... It should be a "Superb help" or something button for their posts... And it should shown nex to their name, somehow. Like a big respect for, and from the Pinsiders.

#7 12 years ago

I like the goal of encouraging more posts, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. One reason a forum like this is interesting is because of all the varied personalities...Try to conform all those to a particular ruleset of what constitutes a 'good' poster and a 'bad' poster is very subjective and not achievable IMHO. I can see it being open to plenty of abuse, especially given the anonymity behind it. As lpeters correctly noted, the abuse occurs when members begin flagging other members, not the content of their posts. At that point it becomes a popularity contest and might in fact begin to discourage posts.

#8 12 years ago

Can only enhance the Pinside experience Bad new for anyone trying to avoid using the site at work in order to actually get some work done

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

As lpeters correctly noted, the abuse occurs when members begin flagging other members, not the content of their posts. At that point it becomes a popularity contest and might in fact begin to discourage posts.

That's a good point... maybe the system can have software to detect this kind of abuse and block votes if it detects it...? (i.e. one user always voting another user down when overall the votes are positive for that particular post...)

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I like the goal of encouraging more posts, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. One reason a forum like this is interesting is because of all the varied personalities...Try to conform all those to a particular ruleset of what constitutes a 'good' poster and a 'bad' poster is very subjective and not achievable IMHO. I can see it being open to plenty of abuse, especially given the anonymity behind it. As lpeters correctly noted, the abuse occurs when members begin flagging other members, not the content of their posts. At that point it becomes a popularity contest and might in fact begin to discourage posts.

This is something I thought long and hard about myself. Maybe the minus one should be removed to keep the rating system more positive and less likely to be used to abuse for the goals like you described.

The goal of the post rating system is not necessarily to encourage more posts but to increase the content level of posts and even more to award points for (what the community deems) good posts.

Think of it more in a positive way, like Angyalpor says - a way to say thanks to, or gain status from, good posts and being a nice dude on the forum.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

That's a good point... maybe the system can have software to detect this kind of abuse and block votes if it detects it...?

That could be an idea. Automatically disable someone's ability to rate when such behavior is detected.

#12 12 years ago

I like the idea and I want it to work. I do believe there could be problems but I'm optimistic. I'd think 95% of the time it will go well. Like robertmee said, there's lots of different personalities here and people are here for different reasons. One person might look differently on a "pin vs pin" thread. Some are tired of them and some love them. The guy posting, AGAIN, "Is it ok to wax Mylar?" might not get his question answered because people are oh so tired of people not searching the question before they post it and they flag it. But as decided before something as opposed to nothing should be done at this point. Although things have been nice and quiet and all pinball lately. It's nice. Thanks for the hard work Robin. It's VERY obvious from this site you are extremely good at what you do.....actually I don't know what you do. You might sell hotdogs for all I know. Well incase it hasn't crossed your mind you should seriously consider a career in web design or some field relating to the Internet machine. Lol. Thanks again.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

That could be an idea. Automatically disable someone's ability to rate when such behavior is detected.

With a 'calm down' period I suggest, which increases in lenth on repeat abuse

#14 12 years ago

I like this idea and think it would be at least worth trying. A positive place is what "most" of us here want Pinside to be and I think for the most part "we" all do a pretty good job of achieving such a goal. One thing I don't care too much for in regards to Karma is how a member who doesn't know a thing about Pins and does not even own one (yet) can end up skyrocketing with Karma points due to their unsubstantial posts such as "I like Gorgar the best" or "Can't wait to see it" or "I agree with robin". It really isn't that this is a big deal but I think others, especially newer members, could easily get the wrong idea that this person must be very knowledgeable and know Pins cause he/she has a lot of Karma points. Yet the members who know better can refer to the grand experience of a person like Pheobe who does not have a whole lot of Karma...anyway, just my two cents. Good luck robin and I am behind ya!

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

due to their unsubstantial posts such as "I like Gorgar the best"

Didn't you post that one

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Didn't you post that one

SSssshhhhh....just because you are a slave...oh never mind.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

I like Gorgar the best

Actually, how come you got rid of your Gorgar but have it as your av... I'd have thought a game high enough on your respect list to be your av would have been a sure keeper... Sorry for the off topic and un-deserving of kama post

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Maybe the minus one should be removed to keep the rating system more positive and less likely to be used to abuse for the goals like you described.

If it were my site that's what I'd do...keep it positive. Then just use the "tilt warnings" to hide content that's offensive or not safe for work. I don't really understand the need to filter unpopular posts beyond that. The scoring system will still work because people will naturally be more inclined to read posts with a higher score.

Another alternative would be to keep the negative, but just don't display a score lower then zero. This would eliminate the "piling on" effect that sometimes happens with a negative score.

PS: By the way, the look is very clean. It looks better then I thought possible.

#19 12 years ago

Where is that big ole smiley with his tongue sticking out... well, you get the idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-post-ratings-coming-soon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.