Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-618.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Hi all,

New Multimorphic P3 videos are out. Our vision is becoming reality!

The game is literally improving every day. In fact, a number of the placeholders in these video have already been replaced by new animations, and we're continuing to add new features, animations, sounds, etc as we prepare for TPF this weekend. We've come a very long way, and we have a lot more work to do!

Promo:

The Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl game in the video is feature complete mechanically with about 60% of the software development. There's much more to come!

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#3 10 years ago

Looks very cool...looking forward to seeing more at TPF this weekend

#4 10 years ago

Wow Gerry, you guys made improvements even since your open house. Lights Out Multiball looks even more amazing with the lightshow you added.

#5 10 years ago

Fun, it's come a long way since I saw it at Expo.

So here's my question: You can display the score right in the apron area (very cool) and can give immediate feedback to play right on the playfield (jackpot etc). Why even have a DMD at all? Put the speakers up top ala Bally System 11 or WOZ, bring the translite art a little lower, or maybe even make it taller, give it a unique aspect ratio.

Lower build cost, one less thing to program in parallel with what you're already doing, and it would give the machines a different presence when next to 'traditional' DMD titles.

I love the tall backbox on King Kong, could dedicate that whole space to the translite.

image-618.jpgimage-618.jpg

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

So here's my question: You can display the score right in the apron area (very cool) and can give immediate feedback to play right on the playfield (jackpot etc). Why even have a DMD at all?

There isn't a DMD or any screen in the backbox.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

There isn't a DMD or any screen in the backbox.

Ah, so that's just a giant logo sitting between the speakers? It looked like an unused DMD screen with a static image. I guess my point still stands, why ape the DMD setup when you don't have one?

#8 10 years ago

Gerry, the gameplay video is great! I agree with Stephen, you've made some great improvements even since a couple weeks ago.

Nice touch on the Ball Locked display that shows how many balls are locked by how many are circling the text.

The integration of the LCD spotlights going out as you progress in Lights Out, followed by the light show during the 2nd stage is very nice!

#9 10 years ago

The bottom speaker panel is defined by the size of the speakers they chose, which are some pretty kick-ass speakers if you ask me. On previous prototypes they had smaller speakers for a lower profile, but I think the trade-offs are worth it here with how this thing sounds. I guess they could move them to the top like older bally games, but I'm not sure it would be a huge advantage.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sjsilver:

The bottom speaker panel is defined by the size of the speakers they chose, which are some pretty kick-ass speakers if you ask me. On previous prototypes they had smaller speakers for a lower profile, but I think the trade-offs are worth it here with how this thing sounds. I guess they could move them to the top like older bally games, but I'm not sure it would be a huge advantage.

I'm just spitballing, don't want to backseat drive someone else's project, I just thought that with breaking the mold in so many ways it would be cool to not tie themselves to the model that DMD games have. Looking forward to seeing it again, you couldn't play it at Expo.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just spitballing, don't want to backseat drive someone else's project, I just thought that with breaking the mold in so many ways it would be cool to not tie themselves to the model that DMD games have. Looking forward to seeing it again, you couldn't play it at Expo.

Yeah I hear what you were saying. Actually, one of the coolest things about Multimorphic's open house 2 weeks ago is that they had all 4 P3 prototypes in the house, with the first 3 lined up along the wall in the adjacent room. It really is remarkable to see how far they have come since that first prototype they debuted at TPF 3 years ago. you can see all the iterations they went through as they were coming to the current prototype, and the many different things they tried. Screen size increased, modularity increased, the ability to float more mechanisms over the playfield expanded, the cabinet morphed from some truly different designs to a more traditional one, but with awesome magnetic artwork, interchangeable flipper button modules etc.

It shows you that A LOT of thought and listening has gone into the project all along the way to arrive at the very impressive machine they have now. Honestly, there is not really a need for a backbox at all on this machine, but pinball people love them, and it is a big showcase for art, so it has it. Not everyone is going to love every thing that they finally decide on, but the fact that it is so easily customizable I think should make everyone happy.

If I end up getting one, I would really think about doing my own artwork package. Since it's all magnetic, If I ever need to sell it, I can just slap on the original artwork that came with the game, and keep my custom art for the wall. I'd love to be able to do that with my mame cabinet, but changing out decals is a much bigger deal, so anything too personalized would make it pretty much unsellable. While I am super excited about the gameplay, I am really excited about how customizable the machine is.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sjsilver:

It really is remarkable to see how far they have come since that first prototype they debuted at TPF 3 years ago.

We built our first prototype only 2 years ago Stephen, not 3! We've come quite a long way in a very short time.

The rest of your post is spot on. Traditional machines were designed for operators and are more or less 'take it as-is, or leave it' products. We designed the P3 to address the needs of consumers, who clearly have widely varying opinions about how machines should look and play. Those opinions have helped guide a lot of our decision making. Whereas traditional machines are great for location but don't make a lot of sense in most people's homes (we pinheads are definitely not 'most' people), the P3 was architected for consumers and is being engineered to work equally well in homes and on location.

The modularity of the platform allows us to hit a bunch of different and oftentimes moving targets. It's doubtful anybody will like all of our games, but it's probable everybody will like some of them. Plus, as you noted, the ability to customize the look of the cabinet and artwork means everybody can have a machine that matches their tastes. About $150 to your local printshop will get you printed decals of your own artwork that you can swap directly onto the machine. They're the same thing as common car magnet decals.

Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl is just the first of a hopefully long list of games to come.

Cosmic Cart Racing, game #2, will have a totally different playfield layout, artwork, rules, etc. As you might predict with a racing game, it will be fast, flowing, and intense.

- Gerry

#14 10 years ago

Now changing the side art that way is VERY cool. Innovation at its best!!! John

#15 10 years ago

Looking awesome. Can't wait to see this game at TPF this weekend. Lightyears from what I saw in 2012/2013.

#16 10 years ago

Looks cool, I'd love to play one someday. The flipper setup looks kinda odd, and they seem to play differently too. Is that how the production unit is going to be?

Those flippers remind me of some of the videos I've seen where people made pinball machines out of LEGO....

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

The flipper setup looks kinda odd

As the story goes... the first two times we drilled through the LCD to mount traditional flippers, the LCD stopped working.

"necessity is the mother of invention"

- Gerry

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

As the story goes... the first two times we drilled through the LCD to mount traditional flippers, the LCD stopped working.
    - Gerryhttp://www.multimorphic.com

Gotcha

#19 10 years ago

Hi Gerry,

Can you change the artwork on the side of the backbox as well?

I know the cabinet has a metal frame but are the sides also made of metal?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Hi Gerry,
    I know the cabinet has a metal frame but are the sides also made of metal?

Yup. It's a really cool cabinet.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Yes, all of the cabinet decals are magnetic and easily swappable (main cab & head).

- Gerry

#22 10 years ago

you know what would be a nice touch, is if you had a drawer that would pull out on the bottom of the cabinet so you can slide your side art in there to store it for each game. Would keep it from getting damaged and space everyone could use.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know what would be a nice touch, is if you had a drawer that would pull out on the bottom of the cabinet so you can slide your side art in there to store it for each game. Would keep it from getting damaged and space everyone could use.

I've been wondering about the storage - not only do you have the art but you have the upper playfield to swap.

#24 10 years ago

The ball lock looks freakin awesome!
    I cant wait to play it.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

I've been wondering about the storage - not only do you have the art but you have the upper playfield to swap.

I always thought the P2K playfield concept was a great idea - only needing the one cabinet - but the playfield itself still took up a lot of space. The fantastic part about the P3 is it's only the upper part of the playfield that needs changing - i don't think it will take up much space at all.

imagine having 20 or so different games stacked in the spare room ready to swap at a moment's notice I for one can't wait.

Gerry - how big are the swappable upper playfields - I'm guessing around 20" x 15" or so?

#26 10 years ago

looking really good. Is there a UK distrib?

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know what would be a nice touch, is if you had a drawer that would pull out on the bottom of the cabinet so you can slide your side art in there to store it for each game.

Cool idea but the cab side decals are taller than the drawer would be wide, and I doubt many would want a tall drawer to hold rolled up magnetic decals.

Quoted from mjfisher:

how big are the swappable upper playfields - I'm guessing around 20" x 15" or so?

Spot on... just over 20" x 15", and we're currently planning to ship playfields in stackable cases.

We made a video showing a p/f swap, but I'm hesitant to post it because our beat-up prototype machine doesn't have all of the alignment rails our production machine will have for easy insertion. So it looks a little raw. Regardless, the full swap took about 40 seconds.

If enough people want to see it and understand it'll be even easier/cleaner in production machines, I'll post it anyway.

- Gerry

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

looking really good. Is there a UK distrib?

We don't yet have an official agreement with a UK distributor. We do already have a group of UK customers though, so a grouped shipping deal is a definite option.

As we continue to work through logistics, I'd encourage anybody interested in distributing our machines to contact me privately.

- Gerry

#29 10 years ago

This is where I imagine pinball would be if there was no fold around 2000. Outstanding work. As with all new machines, I worry about the rules, but the vids show some pretty fun stuff.

I am very interested, is there any (realistic) ETA for this, or still too early?

#30 10 years ago

I'm guessing horizontal scoops and toys could be added to the lower 2/3rds overlapping the LCD, but still connected to the modular piece?

#31 10 years ago

this looks amazing, some incredible innovation and creativity

#32 10 years ago

So this basically is the first ever pinball console, plug and play games made to easily swap back and forth, like a cartridge or CD? Not that my opinion particularity matters but I am very impressed by the video's and the look of the machine, they alone made me beyond excited to actually get my hands on one sometime, great work!

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

I'm guessing horizontal scoops and toys could be added to the lower 2/3rds overlapping the LCD, but still connected to the modular piece?

Yes, Gerry, can you speak a little about any plans for physical features which are located in the mid-playfield area over the LCD in future games. Are there any plans for a mid-playfield module which slides over (or can be attached over) the LCD much like the flipper/slingshot module does? This could then house redesigned pop bumpers, kickout holes etc. or maybe attachments for ramp entries which then lead to the upper playfield or back to the flippers.

I think a major concern for people will be that the P3 is more open in the mid-playfield area than traditional games and you will need to have a plan in place for this (but you have probably already thought of it).

#34 10 years ago

That top half. Will that look like the theme being played?

In toys, and grafics.

I think when you have normal flippers. Move the screen a little upwards just above the flippers and slingshots i might like it more.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I think a major concern for people will be that the P3 is more open in the mid-playfield area than traditional games and you will need to have a plan in place for this (but you have probably already thought of it).

Actually; I think he covered this in the various interactions he's had at TPF.
    Basically; the openness you describe is on purpose and models existing PF designs pretty regularly. I think at some point he challenged anyone to find a PF design which actually had mid-PF active elements. Most of them were gimics if any.

Regardless; I don't see the openness as a problem. You can fill it with toys if desired; but the reality is many "fan" layouts only use the sides anyway.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Yes, Gerry, can you speak a little about any plans for physical features which are located in the mid-playfield area over the LCD in future games. Are there any plans for a mid-playfield module which slides over (or can be attached over) the LCD much like the flipper/slingshot module does?

There are two ways P3 games will get developed:
    a) We (Multimorphic) will make P3 games
    b) Others (3rd parties) will make P3 games

We (Multimorphic) have been brainstorming additional 'floating' features to work above portions of the LCD. We've thought through designs for floating pop bumpers, ramps, upwards latching gates, etc. When such features fit into a new game concept, we'll put them in. It doesn't make sense to design in features just to check off a bullet. They have to make sense within the specific game.

We certainly hope other people and companies will be building P3 games too. Video game consoles thrive because there are 3rd parties developing games in addition to those created by the console manufacture (ie. Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, etc). The P3 follows the same model. Some of our pre-order customers plan to develop new games, and once the P3 ecosystem is established, other manufacturers will likely want to as well. Future P3 features, therefore, aren't limited to what we design. That's the beauty of the open-platform model.

Quoted from solarvalue:

This is one of those "you just have to play it" things. As Zitt referenced, I've been saying publicly that probably 75% of existing games have all of their interactive features in the same region as the P3 upper playfields. Dennis Nordman, when designing the Lexy Lightspeed playfield, overlayed our p/f layout on top other games he's designed. He picked 3 (maybe his 3 most recent) and all of the features for all 3 games were beyond the region of the walls/scoops.

Our big playfield LCD drives an impression that our p/f is more open than most others. It's not true. Ours is just dynamic whereas others are painted pieces of wood. Other games have what 20-30 insert lamps in the lower part of the p/f? The P3 has 2 million. Other games have maybe 15-20 switches in the lower part of the playfield? The P3 has essentially thousands.

Yes, there are machines here and there that have lower features, but the majority do not. Regardless, I can say this all day long on a message forum, but I probably won't alter your impression. You simply have to play it for yourself.

Also important: the interactive virtual features we put in LCD give you (the player) game objectives in the lower portion of the playfield. The result is that P3 games are MORE engaging in the lower p/f than most traditional games. Again, I'm sure you'll need to experience it yourself before you believe me. There's still time to hop on a plane for a vacation in Texas.

Quoted from Plungemaster:

That top half. Will that look like the theme being played?
    In toys, and grafics.

That's the plan... p/f art, plastic set, etc. I realize there are a lot of people urging us on from the finish line, but it's a long race, and sprinting through it would be a big mistake.

I think when you have normal flippers. Move the screen a little upwards just above the flippers and slingshots i might like it more.

I'll be curious to get your opinion after you play it (you're flying in too, right? . There are so many cool things we're doing with the display under the flippers, slings, and even in the apron area that simply can't be done with other machines. Floating the flippers and slings over the large 'touchscreen' display is a choice I would make over and over again.

Where do most people look the majority of time they're playing a game? At and around the flippers. That's exactly where the display belongs.

- Gerry

#37 10 years ago

We (Multimorphic) have been brainstorming additional 'floating' features to work above portions of the LCD. We've thought through designs for floating pop bumpers, ramps, upwards latching gates, etc. When such features fit into a new game concept, we'll put them in.

Excellent! Actually, I think the P3 looks amazing already but I'm just pre-empting what I think will be a concern for some and just wanted to know that the P3 was being designed with the option to accommodate mid-playfield physical elements in the future. I understand that a lot of existing games don't have them but some very good games do. Think, for example, of the classic Lawlor in-your-face scoop shot in games such as Whirlwind, Funhouse and Twilight Zone. These structures really randomize ball movement in the area close to the flippers, such that a ball bouncing off a target or post in the mid playfield area comes back at you really fast. Therefore, it is great that the P3 platform will be flexible enough to allow future designers to include such elements if they choose to do so.

Nevertheless, I hear what you are saying about there being more objectives in the lower playfield area than in a traditional game and I welcome this development.

I also think it is fantastic that the P3 is open-platform, it will be amazing when we start seeing games which other people have designed for the P3.

I personally won't be able to make it to Texas this year but it is not because of lack of enthusiasm for this project. I would love to be there, keep the reports coming!

#38 10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Frisco!

#39 10 years ago

We made a video showing a p/f swap, but I'm hesitant to post it because our beat-up prototype machine doesn't have all of the alignment rails our production machine will have for easy insertion. So it looks a little raw. Regardless, the full swap took about 40 seconds.
    If enough people want to see it and understand it'll be even easier/cleaner in production machines, I'll post it anyway

Yes Please

#40 10 years ago

I've seen the P3 evolve from the first prototype to the current incarnation, and I was as surprised as anyone to see that the floating flipper modules felt as solid as any traditional flippers I've ever played.

Their very first prototype had traditional flippers and floating slings, and a much smaller screen. The benefits of the maximized screen size are incredible, and there is virtually no trade off in how the flippers feel, I think. With a smaller screen, you lose the scoring display near the flippers, interactive playfield art covering the inlanes and outlanes, and cool visual effects around the flippers. Simply moving the screen up would either rob real estate from the upper playfield module or elongate the playfield.

I'm sure if you wanted a full detailed list of all the tradeoffs involved, you could PM Gerry for those answers, but really, from my limited personal experience with the game, it is the best of all worlds.

I really think this will be a great game for the home, but man if I was an operator I would be ecstatic about this game. You can literally put a new game on location in minutes with a playfield and art swap, and the way this thing looks, I think it would have no problem competing with any of the drivers, shooters, and redemption games that seem to be the only things making money any more. In addition, with how easy it is to pull out and replace modules, downtime could be minimized by having a few spares. Hell, if I owned a venue, and any part of LLGG broke, I would simply swap in CCR while I fixed it on my bench, and limit downtime to a few minutes instead of hours or days. Add in a spare flipper module, a few spare boards, and you have the easiest and quickest serviceability that the pinball industry has ever seen, which to me I think is the biggest reason why pinball has all but disappeared from the remaining locations that operate coin-op games.

I think this will make a great game for home collections, but I really think operators are going to have a winner on their hands as well.

#41 10 years ago

Man I wish that gameplay video was in 720P or better!

#42 10 years ago

- Gerry

So how'd you drill through it successfully the third time then?

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#43 10 years ago

If it was already discussed, I must have missed it. Will the upper playfield module hold the software for the individual game that "plugs in" when the swap is made? Or would one load a game into the machine via USB or something?

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Man I wish that gameplay video was in 720P or better!

I'll just give you the punchline: It looks even better in HD.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If it was already discussed, I must have missed it. Will the upper playfield module hold the software for the individual game that "plugs in" when the swap is made? Or would one load a game into the machine via USB or something?

All game software is hosted on the main PC. New game software can be installed through network updates or through external media loads (thumb drives, etc).

When you swap p/f modules, the machines reads the ID of the newly install module and enables the relevant software.

- Gerry

#45 10 years ago

Thinking about operators some more, Gerry, does Multimorphic have any plans for, say, an optional "Operator kit" that would protect the artwork and coin door on location? It seems to me that you'd want to protect the magnetic artwork from thieves and vandals, especially if a business made custom artwork. I also know every route game I've ever bought was always drilled for a coin-door lock, so I figured that would be an option as well.

I get really excited about the prospect of seeing these on location. Would be nice to actually see a pin at big family venues like "The main event" of "Dave and Busters".

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sjsilver:

Thinking about operators some more, Gerry, does Multimorphic have any plans for, say, an optional "Operator kit" that would protect the artwork and coin door on location? It seems to me that you'd want to protect the magnetic artwork from thieves and vandals, especially if a business made custom artwork. I also know every route game I've ever bought was always drilled for a coin-door lock, so I figured that would be an option as well.

Yep - exactly. We'll be offering a 'decal protecting' trim package for people who don't want the magnet edges exposed to vandals/thieves.

Regarding the coin door: Current plans are to ship the game standard with a coin door. Our last 2 protos have both had standard coin doors.

- Gerry

#47 10 years ago

you'll never see any pin at dave and busters. I asked them to get pins and corporate said they won't get them because the techs arn't competent enough to fix them.

#48 10 years ago

i really want to make a game on this

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

i really want to make a game on this

Me too! Love the platform, but I need a game that makes me want to buy it for the GAME, not the tech.

#50 10 years ago

if i had some funding to cover bills for a year, i could knock out a great title on this platform. being in austin would make it easy to work close with Gerry.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-has-evolved-videos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.