Pinball Hall of Fame

Started 2 years ago by tron1969 in forum All PinballAll Pinball.


Forum » All Pinball » Topic

Pinball Hall of Fame


Topic summary

  • Started 2 years ago by tron1969
  • 32 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from DEWSHO

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs





Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!



    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    Went to the pinball Hall of Fame in Las-Vegas this weekend - I would recommend it to anyone - 25 cents to 1 dollar per game. Most were set to 5 balls. It was nice to be able to play some machines that I probably will never own. I got to play some Cactus Canyon it wasn't half bad. On the other hand I was thinking about buying a Tron but after playing the LE there it left me dissapointed.

    There was also an area in the riviera casino that was calling itself the pinball hall of fame - It has about 20 stern machines.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    wow, didn't know about the riviera!


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    Seems I did the same as yourself only 3 months earlier.

    But sorry to say I only got to spend about 2hrs at the PHOF and in that time was really unable to enjoy the games as much as I wished to as was playing far to many games as I just wanted to get as much as I could in.

    In referance to the games in the Riviera did you play them at all? I walked past them but did not get to have a game what was there condition like? There are also a few in Circus Circus but they needed looking after so also did not play them.


    RobT

    Pinside legend
    12,231,973 3
    2 years, 2 months ago
    #
    tron1969 said:

    Went to the pinball Hall of Fame in Las-Vegas this weekend - I would recommend it to anyone - 25 cents to 1 dollar per game. Most were set to 5 balls. It was nice to be able to play some machines that I probably will never own. I got to play some Cactus Canyon it wasn't half bad. On the other hand I was thinking about buying a Tron but after playing the LE there it left me dissapointed.
    There was also an area in the riviera casino that was calling itself the pinball hall of fame - It has about 20 stern machines.

    They call themselves PHOF at Riviera because they are also part of the PHOF. It's just an additional location. Both maintained by Tim.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    The Machines at the Riviera were newer Sterns and were in good condition. It would have been nice to have a few Bally Williams machines there as well


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    So, I'm going to the PHOF the weekend of the 17th. What are the "must sees"? He hasn't updated his online pinlist since 2009 so I'm guessing it's not completely accurate. Is there an up to date list per chance?

    Top 100 games on route near me that I can pass on initially unless there's time/interest, or the LE model trumps the standard ones on route:
    MM, TOM, IM, WH2O, Shadow, AFM, TAF, TSPP, Tron, TZ, TOTAN

    What I've got so far:
    - Transformers LE - I like this theme, and have seen recent visit posts saying he's got one
    - IJ - since, this is my top purchase choice at the moment.. only one in route near me allegedly is at a "gay video bar" (I don't even want to know)
    - NGG - but don't see it on the 2009 list
    - spiderman

    So I guess there's rare things like CC, anything else? I heard about the Pinball Circus (very rare but also not too exciting). BBB isn't on the list either.. any chance one has been picked up?


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    He has a Transformers, The indy is the stern one, I did not see a BBB, Yes he has a spiderman, I also saw a Rolling Stones. There was one older machine that was slow but interesting it would be cool to see a modern remake - There is a player on each side and you have to score against each other - the play field tilts back and forth


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    That 2 player table is fun. I wish somebody would start making and updated version of it.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    He does have the williams IJ too in addition to the newer stern title, no BBB and no NGG, but his EM collection is the heat!


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #
    tron1969 said:

    The Machines at the Riviera were newer Sterns and were in good condition. It would have been nice to have a few Bally Williams machines there as well

    Last time I was there, the exhibit in the Riveria were mostly old Gottlieb, Bally and Williams add-a-ball games, along with a few Sterns and some others like Whitewater.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    yeah both IJs were on the 2009 list so hoping he hasn't recently ditched the williams one.

    Ok so it's a bit more about EMs .. that's fine, that's all i own right now anyway. Will look for the 2 player one, thanks!


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #
    sd_tom said:

    So, I'm going to the PHOF the weekend of the 17th.

    There's a tournament at the PHOF if I am correct. Good luck.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    You mean the San Diego pinball club one? That's march 17th.. I'm talking about February 17th so should have the place to myself


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #
    sd_tom said:

    yeah both IJs were on the 2009 list so hoping he hasn't recently ditched the williams one.

    I played the Stern IJ for the first time last week. Sadly, it really is as bad as everyone says.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #

    I'm heading down to LV next month and this is certainly on my list. There were no many EMs in my area growing up so I'm strictly solid state. I'm excited to broaden my pinball horizons
    Might have to make a few trips while I'm there. Thanks for all the game suggestions.


    2 years, 2 months ago
    #
    sd_tom said:

    You mean the San Diego pinball club one? That's march 17th.. I'm talking about February 17th so should have the place to myself

    That's great to hear. I'll be in Vegas for my 21st in early September.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    Bumping an old thread instead of creating my own.

    Was at PHoF yesterday and had a great time! Pinball Circus is the most unique and fascinating pin I've ever played. I was talking to the guy working there and he said they've been offered 50K for it and have declined.

    Knocked a bunch of pins off my pin Bucket List. Cactus Canyon, Monster Bash, Safe Cracker... A whole bunch of stuff!


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    tron1969 said:

    He has a Transformers, The indy is the stern one, I did not see a BBB, Yes he has a spiderman, I also saw a Rolling Stones. There was one older machine that was slow but interesting it would be cool to see a modern remake - There is a player on each side and you have to score against each other - the play field tilts back and forth

    It's a Gottlieb Challenger. Really fun game.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    went there 3 weeks ago love the place! Pinball Circus is a great game but it would last about 4 hours in a home collection, glad I got to play it there. I found Cactus Canyon surprisingly fun, I wish I had more time there...


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    Miss the old building with Tim and Hippie. The building was nicer/cleaner, the crowd was better, games were in much better condition, and the maintenance was more manageable. I always made frequent visits throughout the years. Vegas regular. It's out of control now. Wish Tim the best, he dedicated his life to the hobby. At the end of the day, it's for charity. Something I have to keep reminding myself. The end results are more important than pinball.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    I was there a few months ago and they still had the williams IJ, very sweet place, cheap to play and alot were set on 5 balls etc so I only spent ~20 bucks for 2-3hours of playing!


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    We went about 2 months ago... The pins lacked in the maintenance department, however, they are set up player friendly. It's well worth the stop!!!


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

    wow, didn't know about the riviera!

    yep...we stay there the last 3 times just because it has alot of pins to play. We wont stay anywhere else.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Jeff_PHX_AZ said:

    yep...we stay there the last 3 times just because it has alot of pins to play. We wont stay anywhere else.

    Your judgment on it as a hotel in general, besides the pins?

    I suggested staying there next time we go, but didn't get a lot of positive response because the reviews online are not as nice as what we usually look for in a hotel.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    I was there 4 years ago. I was pleased with the amount of titles that where there and with the condition they were in. No pinhead should miss it if they are going to Vegas.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    DanteBK said:

    Jeff_PHX_AZ said:yep...we stay there the last 3 times just because it has alot of pins to play. We wont stay anywhere else.
    Your judgment on it as a hotel in general, besides the pins?
    I suggested staying there next time we go, but didn't get a lot of positive response because the reviews online are not as nice as what we usually look for in a hotel.

    Not bad place, one of the oldest on the strip. Nice rooms, besides your not in your room much anyways. Circus Circus is right across the street so if you have kids you can take them to the indoor amusement park there. Riviera was mob owned and ran until mid 1980's, lots of history with the place. If your a yuppie, goodie too shoe type, you may not like it!!


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    DanteBK said:

    Jeff_PHX_AZ said:yep...we stay there the last 3 times just because it has alot of pins to play. We wont stay anywhere else.
    Your judgment on it as a hotel in general, besides the pins?
    I suggested staying there next time we go, but didn't get a lot of positive response because the reviews online are not as nice as what we usually look for in a hotel.

    I'd really, really advise against staying at the Riv. And I just stayed at Bill's on my last visit, so I'm not opposed to staying in an average place.

    It's kind of old, but more importantly that end of the strip is pretty dead and it's a long walk to mid strip. Also, the selection of pins there isn't the greatest, and sadly aren't well maintained (at least the two times I've been there over a 6 month period).

    My suggestion is to say somewhere mid-strip where you can get to anything easily. Flamingo is a decent value. Cab it to the Riv if you really want to see it, but spend your time at the main Hall of Fame location instead.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    I generally stay at nicer hotels when in vegas because I made the mistake of staying at the Imperial Palace years ago assuming it was nice as it's vegas. BAD choice. A mistake that will never happen again.

    Spend the money and stay at a nice place if you can. You'll have a better trip.

    Here's where i've stayed and i rank them in order from best to worst.

    1. Wynn
    2. Palazzo
    3. Mandalay Bay
    4. Treasure Island

    5. Imperial Palace


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    I'm going to las vegas the week of june 11th, definitly going to make a stop there on my business trip.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    They'll let you stay in the back for free if you want to help work on the machines. I was offered, hah.


    -1
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    I just came back from Vegas today.
    Visited the Pinball Hall of Fame (first time I'd been there since it moved), and have to say I was underwhelmed this time.

    There are now lots of non pin games there now (many in poor condition),
    About 40-50% of the games were out of order,
    To much emphasis on Stern Pinball games rather than classics,
    To many pins had LED's used as G.I. lighting that looked really horrid (pictures to come),
    and poorly laid out arrangement of the games (other than the isle of wedge-heads).

    It's still neat, but it needs a LOT of improvement.

    ... and if you do go there, go next door to Paradise games. They have some vintage games (on free-play) including a nice Fireball II pin.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    RobT said:

    Both "maintained" by Tim.

    To use a term lightly that is.....


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #

    Haven't been there yet. My buddy, who is very knowledgeable regarding pin repair, volunteered to help out but the owner won't let him touch the machines. That many pins are too much for one person to maintain and I guess it is showing.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    SealClubber said:

    Haven't been there yet. My buddy, who is very knowledgeable regarding pin repair, volunteered to help out but the owner won't let him touch the machines. That many pins are too much for one person to maintain and I guess it is showing.

    Hmm, think this policy may have changed. One of the guys (not Tim) offered to let me work on them after 5 minutes of talking to him. Even offered me a place to stay in the back if I needed it. He told me he had one guy living in the back room for 2 weeks and working on machines every day. Still a lot of work though.

    I didn't have too many issues with the games. Had a great time.


    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    SealClubber said:

    Haven't been there yet. My buddy, who is very knowledgeable regarding pin repair, volunteered to help out but the owner won't let him touch the machines. That many pins are too much for one person to maintain and I guess it is showing.

    My guess it's a liability issue.


    -1
    1 year, 9 months ago
    #

    I just got back from another trip to Vegas and the PHoF. I have been there at least 15 times, and I have to to call BS on girloveswaffles and anyone else who disses. I was there yesterday, and there were only about 10 machines ooo, about 15 had issues but were still fun and playable, and the vast majority that I played (dozens, including wood rail machines like Ace High from the fifties), as well as watched people play, worked beauty. And there are at least 175 pins there.

    There ain't no kind of emphasis on Stern either. I played Cyclone (my new fave--anyone in Cali have one for sale?), Comet, Ace High, Grand Prix, Fireball, Canada Dry(!), Black Hole, Black Knight (and BK2K), Impacto, Kingpin, Lawman, Meteor, Nugent, Popeye, Royal Flush, Funhouse, Space Station, Space Mission, two out of the three Star Trek machines they have, and a dozen others I can't think of right now. They all played great. Who cares if there are a bunch of non-pins too? Tell me you can't rock a little Defender or a little Bulldozer game. Or a claw machine that always wins? Or Runts for a quarter? Or Cactus Cooler and Squirt in the soda machine? Plus, the whole vibe is just so happy. While I was there last time, a limo full of guys pulled up and took all kinds of pics of themselves out in front, and then a million more as they rocked the place for hours. I watched family after family come in on Sunday after church or whatever, and smile the whole time.

    I go to Vegas for three things: Craps (don't pass/don't come only, thank you very much), PHoF, and the restaurant Firefly. I always come home happy.

    PHoF is a must-go for any pinhead. They also have an annex at the Riveria at the end of the strip. There they have about 20+ pins, including such beauties as Triple Action and Taxi.

    They just bought the lot next door (cheap) where there used to be a strip club. They are talking about expanding. It sound promising. Yesssssssss.

    PHoF is the real happiest place on Earth.

    (The ONLY negative I can think of is that they don't raise the backend of the older machines enough. I would jack them all just a tad to speed up play a bit. Still... that's nitpicking.)


    1 year, 9 months ago
    #
    fireball2 said:

    I go to Vegas for three things: Craps (don't pass/don't come only, thank you very much), PHoF, and the restaurant Firefly. I always come home happy.
    PHoF is a must-go for any pinhead. They also have an annex at the Riveria at the end of the strip. There they have about 20+ pins, including such beauties as Triple Action and Taxi.
    They just bought the lot next door (cheap) where there used to be a strip club. They are talking about expanding. It sound promising. Yesssssssss.
    PHoF is the real happiest place on Earth.

    I play craps the exact same way. I love the dirty looks from the other players!!! I was playing this way at the Flamingo one night. I walked up to the table with $50, turned it into $1500 in no time. At one point I was playing odds as side bets for the boxmen(obviously all tips/bets are split between the employees). I was on a really good streak and making tips for the guys left and right. All of a sudden the stickman was setting up the dice for the shooter's #. I got furious with this guy and sure enough the shooter rolled his number right away. I picked up all my chips(refused to chip up at the table) and loudly announced "I will never play craps in this fucking place again". The boxman next to me was apologizing, and so did the table boss. That was 6 years ago. I have not set foot in the Flamingo since.


    1 year, 2 months ago
    #

    Just got back from a great afternoon at the PHOF.

    Plugged some quarters into Pinball Circus. Screw remaking MM someone take this remake on. :).

    It seems a lot of the machines have been LED converted and Tim has most of the newer sterns.

    As always I spent most of my time on the EM's. It's so great having the chance to play such a wide variety of machines from yesteryear through today

    You can't go wrong with spending a couple of hours at the PHOF.

    Chris


    pinboy

    Pinball addict
    687,000 1
    1 year, 2 months ago
    #

    I went there June 2011 and had a great time while you were down there did you see a MB or POTC on site


    NM

    Pinball master
    1,936,550 2
    1 year, 2 months ago
    #
    pinboy said:

    I went there June 2011 and had a great time while you were down there did you see a MB or POTC on site

    Google Maps has a 3D tour you can take inside the PHOF that was shot only about three months ago.

    There was a POTC when I was there in Dec...can't recall if there was a MB or not.


    pinboy

    Pinball addict
    687,000 1
    1 year, 2 months ago
    #

    Thanks yeah I haven't been in a year I heard that some of the stuff has been rotated out there I don't think the google maps tour is updated but thanks for telling me


    1 year, 2 months ago
    #
    pinboy said:

    Thanks yeah I haven't been in a year I heard that some of the stuff has been rotated out there I don't think the google maps tour is updated but thanks for telling me

    yup. MB is there. Lined up with the big wall of Sterns

    chris


    pinboy

    Pinball addict
    687,000 1
    1 year, 2 months ago
    #


    DEWSHO

    Pinball addict
    1,378,000 1
    1 year, 2 months ago
    #
    ChrisS said:

    Just got back from a great afternoon at the PHOF.
    Plugged some quarters into Pinball Circus. Screw remaking MM someone take this remake on. :).
    It seems a lot of the machines have been LED converted and Tim has most of the newer sterns.
    As always I spent most of my time on the EM's. It's so great having the chance to play such a wide variety of machines from yesteryear through today
    You can't go wrong with spending a couple of hours at the PHOF.
    Chris

    Nice break from this WI weather too I bet!! Do they really want to reamke MM already??



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.





© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple