Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So this post will be short. I'm only writing it because I stated previously that I would. See, phoog seems to chime in (or hijack?) many PDI vs Invisiglass threads saying his glass is equal or better and cheaper. I bought a sheet of this glass to compare. See, I have 20 pins. All have PDI or Invisiglass on them. To me, those glasses make the pinball pop and look like there's no glass at all. I ordered a sheet of the 3/16" ultra clear glass from pinballglass.com to compare (phoog's glass). Since I own so much of this glass, I consider myself an expert on the stuff. So how does it compare?

The glass is pretty good. It's definitely an improvement over a brand new sheet of regular glass such as the one that came on my AC/DC premium, that has never been used. But the glass is clouldy when compared to either PDI or Invisiglass. There's a level of clarity on the PDI/Invisiglass that is just not matched anywhere else so far. I think there's a bigger difference between PDI and phoog glass than there is from phoog glass to regular glass.

I am not providing pictures or videos. That's because for this product you just cannot capture the benefits of it in pictures or videos so they're a waste of time. If you're on a budget, I can recommend the phoog glass over regular glass. But really, I'd suggest just holding out until you can afford the real stuff.

There are other threads that discuss this also:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-vs-bobs-ultimate-aka-phoogs-pinball-glass-face-off

And also my original post here which identified that invisiglass vs PDI performed the same:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/invisiglass-vs-pdi-glass-comparison

One more comment that I don't think has been addressed in the past. Invisiglass uses a coating process on the glass in order to make it clear. PDI glass embeds this coating into the glass. It may be possible that over time the coating will wear off on the invisiglass. We don't know as the glass has not been out long enough to know. But the likeliness of that happening on the PDI glass is slim.

#2 11 years ago

...but you forgot to mention Invisiglass is $5 cheaper than PDI glass.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

One more comment that I don't think has been addressed in the past. Invisiglass uses a coating process on the glass in order to make it clear. PDI glass embeds this coating into the glass. It may be possible that over time the coating will wear off on the invisiglass. We don't know as the glass has not been out long enough to know. But the likeliness of that happening on the PDI glass is slim.

Wow, that is huge . . . I did not know that. Is PDI glass available anywhere now?

#4 11 years ago

I thought I read from the guy on pinside that makes PDI that both his and Invisiglass are coated on the top and bottom, and the main difference is that one has a greenish coating and one has a bluish coating.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought I read from the guy on pinside that makes PDI that both his and Invisiglass are coated on the top and bottom, and the main difference is that one has a greenish coating and one has a bluish coating.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just don't understand why no one can keep this stuff in stock. How long does it take to manufacturer and important? There are places that make glass in the US, can the process be sourced and done here in the US?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

he glass is pretty good. It's definitely an improvement over a brand new sheet of regular glass

Thanks. Glad you like it. So to all of you looking to improve your glass on your pin but don't want to spend as much, visit pinballglass.com

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

There are places that make glass in the US, can the process be sourced and done here in the US?

My guess would be cost... I would think you can get it done in the US but it would prob cost more. I called around for starphire glass quotes (I believe what phoog is selling). One place wanted $88, another wanted $140. Seems like a big difference in price for the same thing... When you start adding extra crap onto it, it adds up fast. I asked for a quote on a beveled edge and the $88 shot up to $176.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

As I mentioned in another thread, I just don't understand why no one can keep this stuff in stock. How long does it take to manufacturer and important? There are places that make glass in the US, can the process be sourced and done here in the US?

My understanding is that Invisiglass is made in the USA.
    I expect that it will be readily available once they get the half price orders all processed. We shall see. You could probably get info about future availability from Terry at pinballlife.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

My guess would be cost... I would think you can get it done in the US but it would prob cost more. I called around for starphire glass quotes (I believe what phoog is selling). One place wanted $88, another wanted $140. Seems like a big difference in price for the same thing... When you start adding extra crap onto it, it adds up fast. I asked for a quote on a beveled edge and the $88 shot up to $176.

This sounds reasonable; I'm guessing the mark up from the manufacturer is other worldly; the coat can't cost that much.

There is a key here to making this stuff cheaper (or rather, being able to get it cheaper): You have to get the manufacturer to not view you (the mass purchaser like PDI or JJP) as the final point of sale . . . get them to view you (PDI or JJP or whoever else enters the market) as a distributor that is selling their (the manufacturers) product. This is doable, you just have to start looking for the different glass manufacturers and work through the list.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

This is a good example of dealing with glass companies. Prices all over the place and you can bet it will take longer than they say and probably result in a mistake. If you want the glass just let me deal with the headaches and it will be delivered to your front door. My price for 3/16 is $85 and for 1/4" with a beveled edge is $110. I'm not making a living off of this stuff. I'm just trying to help out the pinball community. So don't hate...relate

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phoog:

So don't hate...relate

It's don't hate.... Appreciate

And if PDI wasn't easy to get in Europe and your glass was avaliable for $110 it's a pretty good competitor to PDi and Invisi which is what twice/three times the price in the states?

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The info I gave on this was from Joey directly in a recent email. He also said he will be stocking several sheets moving forward.

#13 11 years ago

Markmon, has PDI changed their process? Because I too had heard and have been told the same as DCFAN, I have my first sheet of PDI on its way to me now and its been said don't put anything on the top side of the glass because if you scratch off the coating that's what makes it as special as it is. Not doubting you bro just want some confirmation as I don't wanna screw up my first sheet even though I never put anything directly onto any of my glass.

#14 11 years ago

It sounds like PDI is a coated glass. Here is an explanation of how PDI is made:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/invisiglass-is-shipping

Quote from MagicJumpi:
    "How it's made (PDI)

Untempered regular glass is coated in three runs in a chemical bath (sorry, but I won't share recipes). The glass is coated using a diving process and each bath is different.
    At this stage preferences in regard of light transmission, glare and contrast are set.
    After the glass has been coated it has to be cut to the right size with corners and edges sanded.
    The tempering process is the last in the line.
    Here the reflection color of the glass changes and the final product is finished.

Jack shows comparison pictures on his website where his glass has a greenish reflection and PDI is bluish. The reflective color (green, blue, purple, grey..) can be designed to the customer needs.
    Jack never said that his glass is better than PDI, he only stated that it looks better to him.
    As soon as the first WOZECLE's are in Germany, we will test Invisiglass in the lab.
    That means that we will be able to exactly specify the reflection and transmission in % and won't use phrases like better, newer, more beautiful, sexy, modern, less expensive, stronger a.s.o.
    Furthermore we should be able to tell who made it. Beside that I think Invisiglass is made in Germany too,´cause there are not many companies left who know how to coat and who own the machines.
    The coating technology is not new, so there is nothing to develop for months...
    just to make that clear."

#15 11 years ago

Thanks DCFAN . . . either way, I sure wish someone could just keep the stuff in stock somewhere . . . heck, I don't even care if they do put their label on the glass at this stage.

#16 11 years ago

Tigerlaw, Hopefully JJP will be getting in some surplus stock when their big shipment comes in.

I just sent Terry (Pinballlife) and e-mail to see whether he will be getting some soon.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I think you may find reality is closer to exactly opposite of what you posted here.

The information we got also was that PDI was dip and dry. But heck, you saw it from MagicJumpi himself in a later post copied to this thread. Ours (Invisiglass) is not simply a dip.

Quoted from DCFAN:

actually MagicJumpi
    Beside that I think Invisiglass is made in Germany too,´cause there are not many companies left who know how to coat and who own the machines.

Invisiglass doesn't come from Germany, it comes from the US.

Post edited by pinball_keefer : cleaned up formatting, no content change

#18 11 years ago

Thanks Keith, I had also stated in another thread that Jack specifically said that Invisiglass was made in the good ole USA.

#19 11 years ago

Terry from Pinballlife e-mailed me and stated that they are getting more Invisiglass stock, and it should be any day now.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm guessing the mark up from the manufacturer is other worldly; the coat can't cost that much.

Bear in mind, PDI has to go through two different people before it reaches us here in the States. Roman buys it from the manufacturer, and then Joey buys it from Roman. Considering the fact that Joey is still making a nice profit on each sheet of PDI, I can only imagine how profitable Invisiglass must be for JJP.

#21 11 years ago

Ok let me paste what Joey wrote so you guys can get the unedited version:

Thanks as always for your patience!!!!!! PDI glass will be here in 5 weeks....stocking 150 sheets. It may be a more durable product .....Roman is currently lab testing the Invisiglass. One thing on coated products, is if you clean it alot, is if the coating starts to wear over time ( my eyeglass's usually last 2 years, but I clean them everyday ) it looks like total shit. PDI is chemically ETCHED into the glass with an acid base......

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

One thing on coated products, is if you clean it alot, is if the coating starts to wear over time ( my eyeglass's usually last 2 years, but I clean them everyday ) it looks like total shit. PDI is chemically ETCHED into the glass with an acid base......

Hmm, So PDI and JJP glass will only last 2 years before it looks like total crap (with daily cleaning) ??

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Hmm, So PDI and JJP glass will only last 2 years before it looks like total crap (with daily cleaning) ??

That means it cost you over $.41 each washing. DON'T WASH THE GLASS! DON'T WASH THE GLASS!!!

If you are cleaing the glass on your pins everyday....you need more machines.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Or some serious OCD medication ...

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Bear in mind, PDI has to go through two different people before it reaches us here in the States. Roman buys it from the manufacturer, and then Joey buys it from Roman. Considering the fact that Joey is still making a nice profit on each sheet of PDI, I can only imagine how profitable Invisiglass must be for JJP.

Profitable enough where he had zero issue doing a buy one get one free sale the same night a few people on the message board complained about a logo you could barely see. That means he has at least a 100% profit margin on his regular price in my view. Still, I am a buyer at $300 per sheet . . . the market will support it for now; long term I'm sure the price will drop to around $200 per sheet.

1 week later
    #26 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Ok let me paste what Joey wrote so you guys can get the unedited version:
    Thanks as always for your patience!!!!!! PDI glass will be here in 5 weeks....stocking 150 sheets. It may be a more durable product .....Roman is currently lab testing the Invisiglass. One thing on coated products, is if you clean it alot, is if the coating starts to wear over time ( my eyeglass's usually last 2 years, but I clean them everyday ) it looks like total shit. PDI is chemically ETCHED into the glass with an acid base......

The above description is still consistent with a dip-and-coat process. Dip into an acid bath to etch, then dip into one or more coating baths. It may adhere to the glass better with the etching (which provides a chemically clean surface) but won't likely infiltrate to any significant degree. I have no idea how Invisiglass(tm) is made....

And, as a public service reminder, 'alot' is NOT a word in the English language!

#27 11 years ago

So that's why every time I type "alot" on my iPhone, it changes it to "slot".

#28 11 years ago

alot is not a "word"... It should be a lot. You can add it if you wanted

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

alot is not a "word"... It should be a lot. You can add it if you wanted

Custom autocorrect would be good with that. 'Allot' is a word, but it means something else entirely.

#30 11 years ago

Jack is putting a lot of glass out there. I forget the exact number but I think it was around 400 sheets the first time and 800 this time. Plus he is going to need 1,000 for the ECLE.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

That means it cost you over $.41 each washing. DON'T WASH THE GLASS! DON'T WASH THE GLASS!!!

There is a Theatre of Magic in Marvin's Museum in Michigan that has a piece of invisiglass in it. The employees are cleaning it just like all the other pins several times a week. With...
    Windex.

Been in the game since early April and so far looks just fine - will let everyone know if and when there starts to be a problem.

Yes, we know we aren't supposed to use Windex so we won't be asking for a refund if a problem occurs. We started out trying to get the employees to use something else just for that game but that was not working. So it is getting cleaned with Windex just like every other glass surface (100s) in the place.

Parker

1 week later
    #32 11 years ago

As far as glass cleaner, windex should be avoided due to the Amonia. This stuff works as well as or better without the Amonia:
    http://tinyurl.com/afglass

6 months later
    #33 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

As far as glass cleaner, windex should be avoided due to the Amonia. This stuff works as well as or better without the Amonia:
    http://tinyurl.com/afglass

Bringing this back simply because this really is solid. My mother in law has a cleaning business and overly recommends this stuff since she has to be careful not to take the finish off anything. Foaming glass leaner tends to be better overall and this stuff is nice and easy to get.

5 months later
    #34 10 years ago

markmon, any updates on PDI vs Invisiglass ?? I know in your first post you said something about PDI having it embedded where Invisiglass is coated ??

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Profitable enough where he had zero issue doing a buy one get one free sale the same night a few people on the message board complained about a logo you could barely see. That means he has at least a 100% profit margin on his regular price in my view. Still, I am a buyer at $300 per sheet . . . the market will support it for now; long term I'm sure the price will drop to around $200 per sheet.

Roman won't sell to anyone but Joey, They have a man bond. LOL so Roman said. We tried to buy direct from Roman to get the cost down, But he was more interested in sending my e-mails to Joey. Joey and I got into it, but I think things are better. We have a contact in Germany that we are working with to get the glass cost down. We gave Roman a chance, but slammed the door in our face so we will just have to see what happend's to his sales in the US after we start with the new company over seas. (Paper work, Paper work) LOL we are close to getting it all in order. We can drop the cost and get it in to every ones hands. FYI: Love you JACK! but PDI glass is better hands down. FYI: PDI is not the real name of the glass. We love pinball and want to bring more products to the table and keep cost down. Plus, we can bring it to shows and save people shipping cost. There is one flaw with the PDI glass scratches really easy. Also, it can be cleaned with 60% alcohol 40% water and your good to go. Yes, I buy things from Joey he is not my enemy.

2 months later
    #36 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Roman won't sell to anyone but Joey, They have a man bond. LOL so Roman said. We tried to buy direct from Roman to get the cost down, But he was more interested in sending my e-mails to Joey. Joey and I got into it, but I think things are better. We have a contact in Germany that we are working with to get the glass cost down. We gave Roman a chance, but slammed the door in our face so we will just have to see what happend's to his sales in the US after we start with the new company over seas. (Paper work, Paper work) LOL we are close to getting it all in order. We can drop the cost and get it in to every ones hands. FYI: Love you JACK! but PDI glass is better hands down. FYI: PDI is not the real name of the glass. We love pinball and want to bring more products to the table and keep cost down. Plus, we can bring it to shows and save people shipping cost. There is one flaw with the PDI glass scratches really easy. Also, it can be cleaned with 60% alcohol 40% water and your good to go. Yes, I buy things from Joey he is not my enemy.

Any updates ??

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

FYI: Love you JACK! but PDI glass is better hands down.

How is it better? I have seem them side by side and they both look great.

7 months later
    #38 9 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I found this older post of yours recently and I thought not to leave it without any comment from my end.
    Instead of whining around you might write about your attitude and how you have addressed me
    stating that you are working with a glass vendor from Germany.
    It's not clear to me what kind of answer you were expecting ?
    Beside that your posting is inconsistent with my older topic
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinheads-wanted-who-would-like-to-sell-pdi-glass
    Any news on your glass ?
    It makes me feel sorry for the potential buyer if anti-reflective glass vendors pop out from nowhere,
    market a product they don't have, raise the expectation from the audience and don't provide any
    technical specification nor a price tag...

#39 9 years ago

yup, that's pinside for you... necro a post from months ago, just to start another tiff...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phoogs-pinball-glass-vs-pdi-vs-invisiglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.