(Topic ID: 11974)

PDI vs. Bob's Ultimate (AKA Phoog's) pinball glass face-off!

By pzy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by copperpot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11.jpeg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago
    Quoted from Phoog:

: Bob's Ultimate Pinball Glass is now $110 plus shipping and handling

Now you are talking. I would like to see theKorn comparison...maybe pzy could ship to him? I assume theKorn is volunteering? I'll pay for shipping for the comparison if y'all are tired of it.

#52 12 years ago

that is a MUCH better price point!

#53 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is a MUCH better price point!

I agree. Since the tests would seem to indicate that it is indeed better than normal glass, the cost seems pretty fair.

#54 12 years ago

I did my write up and videos with the intent of just kind of leaving it up for people to digest, and I'm glad most everyone has gotten a good idea about the differences between the glass.

As for the camera angles... The tripod stayed the same. It was in the same position, and the camera was at the same angle for all the shots. Camera settings were locked down, and all the videos were taken in the span of a few hours in the early afternoon (consistent daylight). Some of the comparisons are zoomed in a bit, in a case like the PDI glass I wanted to be sure to show that there WERE reflections, but the treatment of the glass makes it very hard to see unless you're staring right at it. Honestly, your first impression is the one that counts the most. You can search for reflections and glare and nitpick all day, but the "winner" is going to be the glass a new guest to your gameroom comments on.

The square light reflected in the top left of all the AFM shots is from a skylight, which was the reflection I was attempting to highlight.

I'm glad to see Phoog has stepped up, and not only lowered prices but is offering an alternative bevelless glass! It's a great thing to have merchants and buyers working together in a friendly, well-maintained forum like Pinside.

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Now you are talking. I would like to see theKorn comparison...maybe pzy could ship to him? I assume theKorn is volunteering? I'll pay for shipping for the comparison if y'all are tired of it.

rommy I do appreciate the offer of paying for the shipping if that is something that all involved would want to arrange. I will not forget your help.

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

wesperron said:Very interesting.
    I have PDI in my TZ and I don't think it's worth it.
    So I don't think this other glass would be worth it either.
    It's like trying to reinvent the wheel...regular glass works just fine and is good enough for me.
    What is your definition of "works just fine"?
    My pins that don't have PDI glass look dull and lifeless in comparison to the pin I have it on

+1

As others have stated, if you want to know what PDI glass will look like on your machine, remove your playfield glass. That's what it looks like (no joke). But be warned, just like buying machines, buying PDI glass becomes addictive.

Sure, $300 a sheet ain't cheap, but if you're dropping $4K+ on a decent title, wouldn't you want to spend a little extra on the part of the game you're look at/through 100% of the time?

#57 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

RobT said:wesperron said:Very interesting.
    I have PDI in my TZ and I don't think it's worth it.
    So I don't think this other glass would be worth it either.
    It's like trying to reinvent the wheel...regular glass works just fine and is good enough for me.
    What is your definition of "works just fine"?
    My pins that don't have PDI glass look dull and lifeless in comparison to the pin I have it on
    +1
    As others have stated, if you want to know what PDI glass will look like on your machine, remove your playfield glass. That's what it looks like (no joke). But be warned, just like buying machines, buying PDI glass becomes addictive.
    Sure, $300 a sheet ain't cheap, but if you're dropping $4K+ on a decent title, wouldn't you want to spend a little extra on the part of the game you're look at/through 100% of the time?

In my opinion the PDI glass looks better than comparing it to a removed glass. I'm not kidding when I say the PDI glass has a way of enhancing the colors and artwork, making the entire playfield pop.

I understand the price concerns but many of us can justify the cost. I see people spend a lot of money on LED's, toys and trinkets to gussy up their games. The PDI glass in my opinion is one of the greatest mods available.

#58 12 years ago

I use the standard glass and most of mine are pretty chipped and or scratched. I honestly never notice it. I am sure i would notice it in retrospect if i replaced it.

It would cost $2520 to outfit all my machines with PDI. I think i will just buy a collector quality "The Shadow" instead!

#59 12 years ago

This is even more important now that we know the $295 cost on invisiglass. Let's get the invisiglass and the phoog glass to theKorn...or if Korn ends up not having time, let's get invisiglass to pzy and mutter.

#60 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

You should take Korn up on his offer....If he blesses it, the masses will follow as he's very well respected on RGP.

+1

He does some very good comparative tests. Although, I'd like to see the test wait for a couple months and add JJP's glass to the gauntlet.

1 month later
    #61 12 years ago

I cannot believe how quiet this thread has become? Did anyone do any comparisons yet?

1 week later
    #62 12 years ago

PDI, JJP or Bob's........ any comparisons on all 3 yet?

#63 12 years ago

It seems PDI & JJPI is about the same. Bob's is just really good glass.

#64 12 years ago

Got a sheet a regular glass from "Phoog" (Bob) and he is a real nice guy to deal with. I met him half-way at a gas station to pick up my glass. Standard sheet was $37 even. So since I was local no shipping. On his glass truck he did show me the "ultimate" glass, although not installed on a pin, I could clearly see a difference in the 2 (standard and the "ultimate" glass). Local regular glass shops around town wanted $55+ for a regular sheet of tempered.

#65 12 years ago

Is it just me, or am I the only one who likes to see then reflection of the backglass on the table glass?

#66 12 years ago

It's just you....

#67 12 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Is it just me, or am I the only one who likes to see then reflection of the backglass on the table glass?

Although I think many have blown the proportion of importance of glare reducing glass clear out of the water I can see why it would be nice to have.

1 week later
    #68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Got a sheet a regular glass from "Phoog" (Bob) and he is a real nice guy to deal with

Thanks Jeff. Actually, the piece of glass Jeff saw on my truck was a piece of "Super-clear Standard Glass". That is the less expensive version of "Bob's Ultimate" It does not have beveled edges and is 3/16 thick like PDI glass and standard glass. I am selling these for $85 each plus packaging and shipping. This is glass that is made without the green color to allow a clearer view of your playfield and most importantly allows increased light transmission to enhance your LEDs and playfield colors! Check out pinballglass.com for more details and for ordering information.

7 years later
    #69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phoog:

Thanks Jeff. Actually, the piece of glass Jeff saw on my truck was a piece of "Super-clear Standard Glass". That is the less expensive version of "Bob's Ultimate" It does not have beveled edges and is 3/16 thick like PDI glass and standard glass. I am selling these for $85 each plus packaging and shipping. This is glass that is made without the green color to allow a clearer view of your playfield and most importantly allows increased light transmission to enhance your LEDs and playfield colors! Check out pinballglass.com for more details and for ordering information.

Rise from the grave!!!

Whatever happened to Bobs glass?

#70 4 years ago

Wow! That's quite a thread resurrection! Phoog hasn't even posted on Pinside for more than five years.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Wow! That's quite a thread resurrection! Phoog hasn't even posted on Pinside for more than five years.

What happened? Any idea?

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

What happened? Any idea?

Bob's still my glass guy (I'm local) and I have purchased many pieces from him including a beveled edge glass top for my executive desk. With a order large enough to place with the glass manufacturer, I'm assume that he could still do it but I'm not so sure he'd want to mess with shipping or anything. He's a busy guy and his glass company takes a lot of his time. I would speculate Pinball just isn't that much volume to cause it to take away or compete with what puts food on his family's plate.

If anyone is really that interested I can text him and ask him.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:Bob's still my glass guy (I'm local) and I have purchased many pieces from him including a beveled edge glass top for my executive desk. With a order large enough to place with the glass manufacturer, I'm assume that he could still do it but I'm not so sure he'd want to mess with shipping or anything. He's a busy guy and his glass company takes a lot of his time. I would speculate Pinball just isn't that much volume to cause it to take away or compete with what puts food on his family's plate.
    If anyone is really that interested I can text him and ask him.

Thanks. How does his glass compare to PDI, IVGlass, vodoo etc?

#74 4 years ago

That question I am not qualified to answer unfortunately. All my pins have PDI as I either bought the pin with it already or bought separate sheets from a local collector who had ordered too many. I can say that I prefer PDI to invisiglass.

#75 4 years ago

It doesn’t compare. The PDI glass and other glasses that have the actual anti-reflective coating (it is a special coating) are head over heels more transparent than glass that doesn’t have the coating. This is no diss against Phoog, by any means, there is simply an anti glare technology the more expensive glass uses that his glass did not utilize.

#76 4 years ago

I have 3 of Phoog's beveled sheets in my games. It is nowhere near pdi but it is high quality and thicker than normal glass so it deadens some of the sound coming through it. I would love to buy 3-4 more sheets to finish off my collection. Pdi is great no doubt though.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-vs-bobs-ultimate-aka-phoogs-pinball-glass-face-off/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.