Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by stangbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

reflect3.jpg
    reflect2.jpg
    reflect4.jpg
    reflect1.jpg
    reflect_6.jpg
    reflect5.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    Mirror1.jpg
    reflect2.jpg
    reflect1.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

My Mom always said " Wesley, If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Now shut up and eat".

So I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

reflect1.jpgreflect1.jpg reflect2.jpgreflect2.jpg

#2 12 years ago

The first picture look good....do you know what your seeing? It's the backglass. I focused on the glare so you could see it....SEE.

It looks just like a new piece of glass.

#3 12 years ago

I also added silver gumballs/ mini pinballs and mirrored sides.

I like both. Take a look.

Mirror1.jpgMirror1.jpg mirror2.jpgmirror2.jpg

#4 12 years ago

So are you totally disappointed? Or is it pretty nice but not perfect? I've ordered a sheet for my AFM. I'm hoping I'm not kicking myself in a few months.

#5 12 years ago

wesperron,

In order for us to be able to accurately judge the effectiveness of the PDI glass, we need a series of before and after pics. As far as the DMD glare, you should buy those filters that Terry sells. I saw them in use at tatman's house, and they eliminate at least 90% of the reflection. When you combine it with the PDI glass, I'm guessing you can't see any DMD reflection at all.

#6 12 years ago

Pretty expensive piece for you not to be pleased with the result. Sorry to hear that wesperron. I was wondering what everyone thought about PDI. They say PDI will eliminate 99% of all glare from those pictures the statement seems less than accurate.

#7 12 years ago

Mate, where did you get the mirrored sides from? I think they look rad good game to put them on as well.

#8 12 years ago

Hmm. I recently ordered two of them, based on coasterguy's review and pictures in this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-glass

Now I'm wondering why wesperron's experience seems to be so different. I wonder if I made the wrong decision.

Anyone else have experience with this glass?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bazzman:

where did you get the mirrored sides from? I think they look rad good game to put them on as well.

Pinball Decals Inc (PDI) sells both the glass and the mirror blades on their website. Here is the link for the mirror blades:

http://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html

#10 12 years ago

Please forgive a potential silly question, as I don't have any experience with PDI glass:

Are both sides of PDI glass the same, or does only one have the anti-reflective properties?

Seems like it would have to be the same on both sides.

Just curious.

#11 12 years ago

I'm curious if this stuff scratches easy? Do you have to use special cleaners on the glass?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Are both sides of PDI glass the same, or does only one have the anti-reflective properties?

Both sides have the optical non-glare coating.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I'm curious if this stuff scratches easy? Do you have to use special cleaners on the glass?

I asked them both of those questions. They told me that it can be scratched if you're not careful (i.e., don't drag anything across the surface), and that you can't use windex and paper towels. They sell a cleaning kit with a soft cloth and a cleaning solution, which is alcohol-based. They said that it's the same optical coating that is used on eyeglasses.

#14 12 years ago

So it sounds like any old lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth should do the trick. coasterguy, why haven't you chimed in yet? You have PDI glass in all your games. Right?

#15 12 years ago

I learned to love my PDI at first I was unsure. I waited a few weeks and put the regular glass back in then I was sold... It is amazing. Along with a dmd anti glare piece of tint it is amazing in the least.

#17 12 years ago

I just got home and went down to take a fresh look. It's hard to tell by comparing the pin with the one next to it. They have different lighting so I didn't see anything at first. There was still glare.
    I didn't think much until I took out the glass and put the old one back in then it hit me.
    I really didn't notice last night but it's reducing about 60% off the reflections.
    I do have glare guards but I took them off for the photo.
    The pictures I sent show the glare. I will take more tonight with the old glass and you will see for yourself. I will upload them tomorrow as i have to resize them at work.

My first Impression was wrong. It does what it's suppose to do.

Would I buy another one? I may? I'll see.

#18 12 years ago

Thanks for creating this thread. I have been interested in pdi glass but have kinda been put off by the price. The results look amazing though and it was good to hear some of the owners reflections. Sorry- couldnt help with the pun.

#19 12 years ago

wesperron - how do you like the mirror blades?

I've been thinking about buying a set, I think they look awesome. Just wondering if it changes the game play at all - are you distracted by them while playing?

#20 12 years ago

I will stick with what I stated before. I would NOT use PDI for a game that was in less than great condition as it could highlight the wrong things. I would use it for an excellent condition and especially a NEW pin. Woz, Tron, with PDI should be incredible.
    Again, my Avatar pin looks AMAZING with it.
    Especially after I added the DMD glare film. AVATAR has ZERO glare. The DMD is a very strong light and the angle does not help. Especially on TZ in my opinion.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212&parent=18

#21 12 years ago

I placed an order with Pinball Life on Sunday and I forgot to include glare film. Grrrr. I knew I was forgetting something. Oh well...next time.

#22 12 years ago

Here is some better pics of before and after. Compare the reflection of the word Twilight Zone

reflect5.jpgreflect5.jpg reflect_6.jpgreflect_6.jpg

#23 12 years ago

2 more

reflect1.jpgreflect1.jpg reflect4.jpgreflect4.jpg

#24 12 years ago

2 more

reflect2.jpgreflect2.jpg reflect3.jpgreflect3.jpg

#25 12 years ago

My conclusion. It works. It may not work as good as I expected but on a machine like Twilight Zone it makes a big differance.

If glare is an issue for you this helps but it is expensive.

Also about the mirrored side panels...I love them and got them for the rest of my machines. They look fantastic. They brighten the game. Very easy to install you do not have to remove the playfield, it took me about 10 min. Pinballdecals.com

#26 12 years ago

Like myself and Coasterguy. Some may like it more than others. If the price was cheaper I would probably like it even more. But my evaluation is based on the cost as well as effectiveness.

#27 12 years ago

Absolutely. I bought 4 sheets as that is as many machines I could fit in here. I am only using one sheet right now but will use them as I get machines. I would buy it for my NICE machines.
    Wes, wait a couple weeks and then put the reg glass back on.

#28 12 years ago

I tried one of these on my Spider-Man game. Works great. I'll probably put one on all my dmds eventually.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1099&parent=0

#29 12 years ago

Shock_me does that guard look funny when installed? Looks like they may stick out a bit and look odd.

#30 12 years ago

Dude, honestly I don't even see it much anymore. It almost totally disappears when you are facing the machine. It's just a bent piece of hard black plastic, and easy to install and remove. I forgot to replace it the other day when I had the glass out of the game, and I really noticed it wasn't there. I'm going to try it out on TZ to see how it works. I'm sure it will have the same effective result. My friend has them on all her games, and they kind of look factory when you get used to them.

#31 12 years ago

The big glare problem I have on my machines is the backbox reflecting off the glass. It's so bad that I don't even notice the DMD reflection. Does that glare guard help at all with the backglass glare, or does it cover only the DMD glare?

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from dxrdave:

The big glare problem I have on my machines is the backbox reflecting off the glass. It's so bad that I don't even notice the DMD reflection. Does that glare guard help at all with the backglass glare, or does it cover only the DMD glare?

It covers only the DMD.
    I remove some bulbs rom my back box. I take about half out and leave just the flashers and important ones.
    As a matter of fact in the pictures above my TZ has led's and I removed half of them and there is still glare..
    The PDI does help as you can see in the pictures.

3 months later
    #33 12 years ago

mmm I wonder how the PDI glass would work on spiderman

#34 12 years ago

Strange, I just placed an order with Joey @ Pinballdecals and jumped onto Pinside and saw this thread. I didnt order a cleaning kit....kinda hoping WOZ will arrive with one.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I didnt order a cleaning kit....kinda hoping WOZ will arrive with one.

I use isopropyl alcohol (70%) in a spray bottle and a microfiber cloth. Works great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-glass-my-opinion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.