OT: Rude people selling pins

Started 2 years ago by Xanathar in forum All PinballAll Pinball.



OT: Rude people selling pins


Topic summary

  • Started 2 years ago by Xanathar
  • 52 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from NimblePin

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs





Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!



    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    sleethering said:

    Happy to share!

    http://bit.ly/uJf97S

    Very cool, sleethering!!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    You see the city listed and are not sure which city it is in ( you have never heard of it, and don't have the means to look it up right now. I had my phone but couldn't check as I was busy with something but was able to use it to send quick email)

    My opinion, you are rude to ask for it. It takes the same amount of time to compose the email as it does to lookup on map website. Doing it yourself is more useful than the seller doing it because he won't know where you are located and won't know the distance you need to go. Distance will factor into your decision whether or not to see in person.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Mike_J said:

    dung said:

    Better yet the ones that expect me to knock the cost of gas off the machine. Sorry, but if it is worth x amount it doesn't matter if you live next door or across the globe. I do understand that some people are too busy to make a drive like that. I also get that gas is expensive which is why a lot of folks are asking more and more to meet at shows. That is fine, but I am talking about the ones that really do believe I am a free delivery service to their doorstep.
    That is ridiculous. Some people really do have brass ones.

    I know it's not that common but one of my friends bought a pin off CL that was far away. The seller did drop his price by $50 as a consolation for his driving there.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    rommy said:

    BLACK_ROSE said:

    The Head-lock & Cobra Clutch are Very Effective

    Bwahahaha [:twisted:] . I actually have yet to deal with a rude pinhead. But I just started. Buy that Sopranos B_R!

    New's Break, Go back to The Sopranos Thread...


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    dung said:

    I have to ask, how many machines have you sold?

    Honestly I have sold 2 machines A Blackout and an F-14 Tomcat. Both on Craigslist. I had neumerous people calling me, sometime 2 or 3 times, I didn't mind at all because they as buyers had questions and I answered them in order to help. Plus it showed that I actually cared that they were interested in my pinball. And yes one of the questions was about my location.

    I guess thats just the difference. I prefer to help people no matter how insignificant the question seems.

    This is about all I am going to say on this topic.

    Thanks to everyone who responded.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I'm as nice as possible... But giving directions to my house is annoying, and I'm probably bad at it. GPS, Google... Far more reliable.


    StevenP

    Pinball master
    3,329,000 4
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Spybryon said:

    Xanathar said:You see the city listed and are not sure which city it is in ( you have never heard of it, and don't have the means to look it up right now. I had my phone but couldn't check as I was busy with something but was able to use it to send quick email)
    My opinion, you are rude to ask for it. It takes the same amount of time to compose the email as it does to lookup on map website. Doing it yourself is more useful than the seller doing it because he won't know where you are located and won't know the distance you need to go. Distance will factor into your decision whether or not to see in person.

    This. The whole "I was busy doing something and couldn't look it up, but I had the time and capability to send the seller an email and then follow up with another..." excuse doesn't fly. If I'm the seller, I figure people will look at what I'm selling and where I am before they inquire about it.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Mike_J said:

    he is quickly becoming frustrated with the many silly offers and no shows for appointments.

    I always hate posting stuff because I know I am going to get a lot of spam and silly offers. I am still nice and always reply. You cannot assume the person on the other end of the message actually knows how to do those things.

    The only thing that really annoys me is the people that email and tell me I am stupid for asking the price that I am asking. They do not way it, just there to be a pain.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    cnj.craigslist.org link

    How about this guy? he's doing you a favor by giving you 2 bills for ya pinbot


    dung

    Pinball addict
    1,382,100 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    dung said:I have to ask, how many machines have you sold?
    Honestly I have sold 2 machines A Blackout and an F-14 Tomcat. Both on Craigslist. I had neumerous people calling me, sometime 2 or 3 times, I didn't mind at all because they as buyers had questions and I answered them in order to help. Plus it showed that I actually cared that they were interested in my pinball. And yes one of the questions was about my location.
    I guess thats just the difference. I prefer to help people no matter how insignificant the question seems.
    This is about all I am going to say on this topic.
    Thanks to everyone who responded.

    Try when you sell 20. Yeah it is nice to help others. At the same time some people really take advantage of it. I have had buyers call me back about buying other machines. I have had them call about tech support on other machines some of which are em's or early ss for which I have no experience. After awhile you just don't want to deal with crap like that and when a buyer asks a dumb question, he gets an appropriate response. Better yet is when they royally screw something up and are obstinate when you tell them to get a real tech. Sorry, but I am not about to tell someone how to fix a bad switch matrix, because they worked on the game while it was on.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    Now I ask...is this rude, or am I wrong?

    I don't think it's rude per se. But if you're perusing foreign Craiglists and you contact people and you don't even know where their city is located, you're likely not a qualified buyer and the guy has every right to not want to spend a whole bunch of time because you're too lazy type "maps.google.com" into the browser.

    Xanathar said:

    I'm sorry but if you want to sell something, you are being a salesman. The first rule is CUSTOMER SERVICE. You want to sell me something, I feel you should be nice to your potential customers, and not turn them off by being rude. I know it pissed me off enough I told him forget about it, don't want the pinball that badly

    This type of "customer entitlement" attitude is not going to get you any good deals. You're likely dealing with a private individual who is not in the business of selling as a commercial venture. He's probably dealing with a ton of bogus emails and it's not unreasonable for you to do a little homework. Plus the lack of dilligence and the reactive attitude of your response is indicative of the "nightmare buyers" that seem to expect all sorts of above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty service. As others have said, the price also is a factor. If the item is very fairly priced, and you're making extra work for the seller, he has every right to be annoyed or short.

    This reminds me of a situation I had with a CL buyer a few weeks ago. I was selling some heavy-duty rolling carts, and a guy contacted me who lived about 3 blocks away wanting them. He said he definitely wanted two of the carts - they were $350+ carts priced at $80 and there was no shortage of people who wanted them. The guy said he had money for one and wanted to buy it, so I made a deal with him, then he pointed to his car and it was obvious this thing was not going to fit in his car. So I offered to drive the cart over to his place and I did so. Then he shows up the next day wanting me to deliver the other cart. I said, "Dude, you live a few blocks away. Buy the thing and roll it home!" and he looked at me like that was the rudest thing ever. He said he'd be back with his neighbor's truck and I never saw him. I still held the cart for him waiting for him to get it and it pissed me off. I was giving him a deal. I bet he was thinking, "I'm the customer - where's my CUSTOMER SERVICE?"


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    This reminds me of a classic phone call I got at work one day, I will never forget it. I work in customer service for an online retailer and get this call.

    "Is this (website name)? I lost your website, can you e-mail it to me?"

    I was dumbfounded. Told the guy he can simply Google (website name), or type (website name) in the url to find the website. He said thanks and that was it.

    You've gotta remember that the guy selling his pin is just an individual and does not represent any company, and has nobody to answer to but himself. If "Look it up" is rude to you, you must have grown up in a bubble or something, I would have responded the same as him.

    I've never heard of anyone expecting CUSTOMER SERVICE on Craigslist.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Top 10 list for PPP's - Privileged Prospective Purchasers

    1) Always ask what is you bottom dollar? Don't wait, make it the first or second question. That way the seller knows you want to flash your cash around. And not some crazy unobtainable number like his asking price. He wants to talk about real numbers like what you are will to pay.

    2) Demand to know why he is selling it. You have cash. You have a right to his personal matters before you waste your time coming to look. He lost his job? His wife left him? He is dying? That's your business as a PPP.

    3) Expect the seller to do everything. His time is not worth anything. This includes mapping a route to his door with travel time. You might also expect suggestions of good places to eat and cheap places to buy gas along the way.

    4) Get his address early on. You are a random PPP who found his ad on the internet. It is your right to know exactly where he lives before you discuss the item or when you are able to come.

    5) Ask for more pictures, and lots of them. Why should you go to look if he won't even take the time to prove the worthiness of his item that he wants to dump on you.

    6) Assume a warranty. You have this guy cornered. He must help you because he took your money. You just bought a new friend. Find something he can do to benefit you.

    7) Look for something he can throw in. Maybe you see some extra parts in his basement that you would like for free. Make sure he throws them in on the deal.

    Insist that he doesn't make a dime on it. What does he think this country was built on? People offering goods and services for a profit? That is for Wal-Mart only, not some guy on Craigslist. If he is a flipper, label him as evil. No matter how much he improved the item for sale, do not let him buy and sell for a profit.

    9) Make sure to damage his house on the way out. Back your trailer into his siding or bang the machine into his door as you carry it out. He certainly made enough in this sale to cover it.

    10) Ask to pay with a check or if he will take payments. Use the word cash a lot when you talk to him so you get the best deal. Say things like I have cash right now! Cash is KING! Then when you have the best price assume you can do anything you want.

    This is all in fun of course, but just goes to show how different people view things depending on their age, experiences, upbringing and so on. Feel free to make changes or add your own.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Well that's a bold list but I'm not sure I can recommend it


    JWS64

    Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pindevil said:

    As far as the seller being rude or weird or whatever, I don't care because I just want the machine.

    YOU SIR ARE MY HERO!!!

    This is where it starts and ends for me, because if it's the one I want I'm gonna do everything
    in my power to be the one to drive away with the machine.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    PinballHelp said:

    This type of "customer entitlement" attitude is not going to get you any good deals. You're likely dealing with a private individual who is not in the business of selling as a commercial venture.

    Amen

    FlipperMagician said:

    I've never heard of anyone expecting CUSTOMER SERVICE on Craigslist.

    Too funny.

    RustyLizard said:

    Top 10 list for PPP's - Privileged Prospective Purchasers

    1) Always ask what is you bottom dollar? Don't wait, make it the first or second question. That way the seller knows you want to flash your cash around. And not some crazy unobtainable number like his asking price. He wants to talk about real numbers like what you are will to pay.

    2) Demand to know why he is selling it. You have cash. You have a right to his personal matters before you waste your time coming to look. He lost his job? His wife left him? He is dying? That's your business as a PPP.

    3) Expect the seller to do everything. His time is not worth anything. This includes mapping a route to his door with travel time. You might also expect suggestions of good places to eat and cheap places to buy gas along the way.

    4) Get his address early on. You are a random PPP who found his ad on the internet. It is your right to know exactly where he lives before you discuss the item or when you are able to come.

    5) Ask for more pictures, and lots of them. Why should you go to look if he won't even take the time to prove the worthiness of his item that he wants to dump on you.

    6) Assume a warranty. You have this guy cornered. He must help you because he took your money. You just bought a new friend. Find something he can do to benefit you.

    7) Look for something he can throw in. Maybe you see some extra parts in his basement that you would like for free. Make sure he throws them in on the deal.

    Insist that he doesn't make a dime on it. What does he think this country was built on? People offering goods and services for a profit? That is for Wal-Mart only, not some guy on Craigslist. If he is a flipper, label him as evil. No matter how much he improved the item for sale, do not let him buy and sell for a profit.

    9) Make sure to damage his house on the way out. Back your trailer into his siding or bang the machine into his door as you carry it out. He certainly made enough in this sale to cover it.

    10) Ask to pay with a check or if he will take payments. Use the word cash a lot when you talk to him so you get the best deal. Say things like I have cash right now! Cash is KING! Then when you have the best price assume you can do anything you want.

    This had me laughing out loud and I rarely LOL.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    If you post anything forsale, you gotta play the game...it's like you know at a Expo...machines are usually priced up. You want to get the most money out of your stuff, and I want to keep as much of my money as I can and still get the machine. Obviously some people on here have FU money but some of us don't.. I seen one guy's on this thread post and I know it's directed at me...he wanted one price, I was willing to pay another. I offered him lower to get where we needed to be to get the deal done... (negotiating)Instead he called me a idiot, a cheapskate amunst many other things...to the point of making it personal and harrassing me in PM's. I didn't ask any stupid questions, nor would I would have called him for service on it...I can do my own...plus we was $100 apart on price...he has listed it since 3 or 4 times...dealt with no shows and CL bull$hit. Sometimes the bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush...I bet he had more than 100 bucks worth of headaches.. Shame though. if he knew how to act I would have gave him what he is asking for the machine right now..Not all of us trying to buy are jerkoffs, just trying to haggle with you that's all....A little bit of bad goes along way...try being nice, or just pass if you don't like what others are asking or offering. Oh yeah and I have sold 10 pins....along with many other things...I always quote the "The warranty is if it breaks in half...you get both halves" J/k


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    You see the city listed and are not sure which city it is in

    " Hey what city are you in and where?"

    Dumb question.....nuff said, I side with the seller here.

    Look it up.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Rusty I would make a better list but that is the buyers job jk


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    FlipperMagician said:

    Dumb question.....nuff said, I side with the seller here.
    Look it up.

    +1 I agree. No excuse is viable to ask this question... took you longer to ask the question and wait for a response, then just looking it up.

    RustyLizard said:

    Top 10 list for PPP's - Privileged Prospective Purchasers

    +1 this is great... lol, thanks.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    RustyLizard said:

    Top 10 list for PPP's - Privileged Prospective Purchasers

    And yes, RustyLizard, that is f_ing hilarious, thank you.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    dung said:

    Sorry, but I am not about to tell someone how to fix a bad switch matrix, because they worked on the game while it was on.

    I just tell them about this cool website I know where people may be able to help them..


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    dung said:

    I still have people tell me they cannot see what they want to. a 1023x682 picture isn't big enough for them to spot wear...

    I'll tell you that personally, when I see a pin that I want to make sure the seller actually has for sale and isn't trying to scam me, I'll always ask for some sort of single, stupid picture of part of the playfield they would never otherwise take. It proves to me that they own the machine. To me, this is important if I'm dealing with someone that I don't know.

    If they take the picture, I've generally already made up my mind to buy the machine. If not, I chalk it up as not worth dealing with myself. So *sometimes* it's worth taking the extra step for someone.

    Once I know someone, I become even easier to work with. The last two machines I bought from people were both done without me asking to even see pictures of the machine, both from people that I knew somewhat, but had never seen the machines before or anything like that.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    Wow. I'm sorry I even asked the question. Didn't realize I was wanting hand holding and thinking I was 5 years old. Guess I have to accept the fact that people are just plain rude and don't give a S***. Sorry I even posted this now

    I think you are being just a bit to sensative. If you had the means to see the add and e-mail then you could have easily done a google search. You were being lazy and got called out on it. You even admitted it, "I was busy". Basically what you are saying there was YOUR time was more important that THEIR time. To me that is the rude part. Sorry...

    If you don't want an honest answer then don't ask the question.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Since it has to do with pinball it really isn't off topic. So I moved it to All Pinball.

    But to answer your question, I probably would have just deleted your email.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Just so I understand. The seller stated his city in the ad. So, you asked him what city he was in. He reiterated. Then, instead of taking 10 seconds to look it up in google maps you asked him where it was and he told you to look it up. Now he's a bad seller?

    If you think the customer is always right, go shop at sears. When I sell a game I'm not a showroom. I under promise and over deliver in my ads. That is the best "customer service" I can provide. When people ask me dumb questions like things I answered in my ad I ignore them.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I get tired of dumbass questions that waste my time, most dumbass questions are scammers, and I am typically impatient and feel put out with those folks, which could translate to rude I guess. Maybe he just thought you where phishing.

    Where are you located? when it is posted in the ad......kind of a dumb question don't ya think

    But no one likes to be treated rudely, i understand you point as well, but 15 tire kickers and 12 scammers later ya get sick of it.

    I also get sick of the people that email you saying "oh you want 1500, I will pay you 1100 right now" and when you say SOLD the never respond........


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Can we play taps for this thread now?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I've come to the conclusion that Most people in Pinball are Dicks! Kinda sucks!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I've come to the conclusion that Most people in Pinball are Dicks! Kinda sucks!

    Ouch!

    We've only just begun Bill, give us a chance!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Xanathar said:

    Just an off topic question
    You see a pinball machine listed on craigslist
    You see the city listed and are not sure which city it is in ( you have never heard of it, and don't have the means to look it up right now. I had my phone but couldn't check as I was busy with something but was able to use it to send quick email)
    So you ask the person in a quick email, " Hey what city are you in and where?"
    The person responds with the same city listed in the ad.
    So you ask then " Hey, I'm in XXXX city How far is that?" At this point I had enough time to look up the city ( About 2 hours away ), but had already sent the email earlier.
    You get a response of "Look it up."
    Now I ask...is this rude, or am I wrong? All I did was ask a simple question but I get a rude response of "Look it up". Would you want to deal with a person who responded like this?
    Opinions?

    If you were unable at the time to look up the location the best thing you should have done was to email the seller with your name and your phone # and say you are very interested.Talking over the phone is much better than emailing back and forth,That way you get all the info you need and you and the seller can meet to make the deal.

    No harm done Pins will always be around for sale and more CL stories will come.Good Luck


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

    I've come to the conclusion that Most people in Pinball are Dicks! Kinda sucks!

    Ouch!

    We've only just begun Bill, give us a chance!

    Attachments ouch.jpeg (5.9 KB, 0 downloads) 12 hours old

    I know... I was in a Foul mood when I posted that comment. I guess I shouldn't judge the entire Pinball Community on a few bad experiences.. I apologizes for that statement.
    It's just that I sent an e-mail to some one more out of boredom than anything else and was joking around about if he had a part reproduced yet. He sent me a reply saying how he "would have let me known if the parts were ready and they'll be done when they are done!"
    I really was just joking and even stated in my email that I knew I was bugging him by saying.. "I know ..I know.. it's that I guy again" referring to myself and asked how the parts were coming and that was the shit answer I got.. Kinda makes you say screw Pinball at times !

    Bill in Indiana


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    White people problems.......


    StevenP

    Pinball master
    3,329,000 4
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

    I've come to the conclusion that Most people in Pinball are Dicks! Kinda sucks!

    Ouch!

    We've only just begun Bill, give us a chance!

    Attachments ouch.jpeg (5.9 KB, 0 downloads) 16 hours old

    Hey, are you on DVDTalk, or just find this pic secondhand?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Spybryon said:

    I know it's not that common but one of my friends bought a pin off CL that was far away. The seller did drop his price by $50 as a consolation for his driving there.

    BR,did this for me when I picked up my MB. He took a hundred off the asking price. I didn't ask him to do it, but I did appreciate the gesture. On the flip side I knew where the game was and what it was going to take to get it(19 hours round trip). I wouldn't waste a sellers time otherwise.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NY2Colorado said:

    White people problems.......

    Are you F-ing kidding me. When are people going to stop putting race into EVERYTHING.

    Post edited by 85vett : for content. typo as it should have been "stop" not "start"


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Yeah I think a mod should jump on that.


    JWS64

    Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    85vett said:

    NY2Colorado said:White people problems.......
    Are you F-ing kidding me. When are people going to start putting race into EVERYTHING.

    C'mon, lighten up. It's obvious to me he's joking.

    Look on youtube at how many videos are "things white people say", "things black people say",
    etc, etc, etc.

    We're all different races. Race is part of the human condition.

    The phrase "white people problems", is that REALLY a bad thing to say? I'm thinking there
    are a whole lot more offensive things that are said by people, to me this isn't one of them.

    But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

    The phrase "white people problems", is that REALLY a bad thing to say? I'm thinking there
    are a whole lot more offensive things that are said by people, to me this isn't one of them.

    It's still a racist comment, whether it offends you or not. It will offend some more than others, and some none at all...but really has no place here either way.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

    C'mon, lighten up. It's obvious to me he's joking.

    Just getting sick of people adding race to things. This guy being lazy and being treated and, so called, rudely has nothing to do if he or the seller was a specific race. I'll never understand why those comments are necessary or acceptable. They add nothing to the message and make people sound unedjucated.

    I know it sounds cliche or silly but I feel it's time for people to start looking at ones actions, skills, knoweldge, etc when casting judgement on someone and that using age, race, religion, etc is just plain unedjucated and unacceptable.

    I'm off my soap box now but I felt I needed to say something as it upset me. Will it effect my life, no. But it got me pulse up a bit.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    JWS64 has it right -lets all lighten up a bit
    we dont have to react to everything - a little tolerance goes a long way


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    85vett said:

    NY2Colorado said:

    White people problems.......

    Are you F-ing kidding me. When are people going to start putting race into EVERYTHING.

    It's a pretty common saying nowadays... Maybe he woulda been better served by saying "first world problems".


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Ill will meet you somewhere? Thanks, Ill keep looking. I was talking to a guy about a game last year about a hundred miles from me, agreed to take it, asked for his address. He told me to get off the Interstate at exit x, go to whatever street and call him when I get there and hed give me directions to get to his house Needless to say when I arrived at the appointed place at the appointed time I found myself at an extremely busy intersection during rush hour, and sat on the side of the road for 10 minutes before he answered the phone. So IM sitting in the grass on the side of the road trying to take complicated directions (including about a dozen different twists/turns). Do I need to say how upset I am when I get to where he said he was and I find nothing, and then he doesnt answer his phone for 45 minutes? He finally answers his phone, apparently he left it in the other room (while he was waiting for someone to show up?) and tells me where I turned wrong and I find the place. Took me about an hour and a half longer than it should have if he would have just gave me his address up front so I could google it.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    JWS64 said:

    C'mon, lighten up. It's obvious to me he's joking.

    +1...

    85vett said:

    I'm off my soap box now but I felt I needed to say something as it upset me.

    Why?
    "White whine" pairs really well with this kind of CL cheese...



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.





© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple