(Topic ID: 35721)

OT: My restoration on our 1954 Seeburg HF100R Jukebox - Lots of Pics!

By hassellcastle

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinchild
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20201230-144705_Messages (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image-198.jpg
image.jpg
photo(1).JPG
10671239_823186067734014_1996030942445629591_n.jpg
20140807_155532.jpg
20140807_155635.jpg
20140807_155608.jpg
20140807_155451.jpg
20140805_203833.jpg
20140805_203804.jpg
1409098180351.jpg
image.jpg
1406593545977.jpg
IMG_1489.JPG
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

As we all share the common hobby of pinball machines. I know many of us have other types of coin-operated games in our home gamerooms. Our home gameroom is a mixture of pinball machines, slots, classic vids, and a few other novelties to round it out. That being said, I wanted to share with my fellow pinball com padres my latest restoration project. It may not be a pinball machine, but it was a labor of love...and it does take money to play

I picked up this acquisition at the October 2012 American Amusement Auction in Mesquite, Texas. I picked up a non-working, but mostly complete 1954 Seeburg HF100R Jukebox for a mere $300. I figured for $300...I'd take a poke at it. I mean, if I couldn't get it working, I'm sure I probably wouldn't lose any money with such a small "initial" investment on my part. From initial inspection of the machine at the auction, I knew it was going to need some work to get going. The mech unit seemed to be seized up, title strip glass was smashed, one piece of the side glass was busted as well as one of the decorative waffle glasses down near the speaker grill.

Here is the first pic I took of it before diving in!

before_juke_unrestored.jpgbefore_juke_unrestored.jpg

#2 11 years ago

We'll winning the jukebox with my bid of $300 and getting it home and assessing what it needed. It became a parent that if I wanted this juke to look nice enough for my standards I was going to have to put some money into it.

First things first....get the juke working.
-Seized up mech. This was actually an easy fix. I forgot how old jukeboxes have a 3 position mech lever.
Left position = run mech unit back and forth/test mode.
Center position = OFF
Right position = Play Mode

The mech lever was at the auction in the OFF position. When off it won't do anything. Moved it to the right and BINGO! It moved and proceeded to pick up records and play them!

mech_lever.jpgmech_lever.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Now that I could see the mech unit was picking up records and playing them, this was a step in the right direction. It seemed to be playing selections that were made before I ever got it. It was doing good about picking records up, playing them and then returning them to the rack. However two issues.
- I couldn't hear any of the music, only sound could be heard from listening closely to the needle.
- Although it played the 5 or 6 songs that were previously selected, who knows when. It would keep reselecting the same same 5 or 6 songs ..and play them over...and over ...and over.

The problem turned out to be a couple of broken wires going to the small solenoids that hit the pins on the pin bank back to their "non-selected" state. Resoldered the wires back in place, and now each of these records that kept being played..finally returned back to not be played again.

Notice on the pic below the two small rows of teeth.
One row is for "A" sides of records, the other row is the "B" sides. There is a "tooth" for every selection made on the jukebox. Once the customer makes their music selection pushing the selection buttons on the front of the juke, the corresponding metal tooth on the pin bank will stick out, allowing the selection unit to know which records to play.

2013-01-08_21.51.01.jpg2013-01-08_21.51.01.jpg pinbank.jpgpinbank.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Next up was the amplifier.
It was dead. There are cap kits that are made for classic jukes, but I'll be honest with you, they are nothing like capping a video game monitor. A bit to "over my head".

Better leave the amplifier rebuild to the expert.
So I packed up my amp and sent it off to the master, Bill Bickers of Jukebox Friday Night.
http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/

Bill had my amplifier rebuilt and in no time. I literally had it back repaired within 1 week of the date I shipped it off to him. As Bill had stated it was long overdue for a cap kit and also one of my vacuum tubes was bad.

Gotta love vacuum tubes!

amplifier.jpgamplifier.jpg

#5 11 years ago

After receiving back my amplifier; cleaning and lubricating the credit unit the jukebox was working! It was so nice to hear it actually play music for the first time. Unfortunately each of the side speakers were blown and needed to be replaced. However I was able to track down a couple of original re-coned Seeburg 8" speakers for a fair price and the sound greatly improved.

So now the juke is working. But it's appearance to me was so-so and it was really showing it's age.
That being said..time for the cosmetic restoration. So the tear down began.

before_teardown.jpgbefore_teardown.jpg before_tearedown2.jpgbefore_tearedown2.jpg before_tearedown3.jpgbefore_tearedown3.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Cool. We have the same jukebox, although we bought it restored. Lots of fun listening to it.

#7 11 years ago

I made it a point to keep all the corresponding screws, nuts and bolts together with everything I took a part.

Each of these pics are how I kept everything together.
Third pic shows the now repainted side speaker grills and their frames.

before_parts.jpgbefore_parts.jpg before_mech.jpgbefore_mech.jpg before_parts_repainted_grills.jpgbefore_parts_repainted_grills.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Now that it's broken down. Let the restoration begin!
Here is a pic of the now repainted upper back cover and mounting screws.

during_repainted_backcover.jpgduring_repainted_backcover.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Next up began polishing the chrome trim pieces that go along the very bottom edge, aka Kick panels. Each of them were definitely showing their age with over 50 years worth of rust, dirt and grime on them.

Nothing like Mothers Mag Metal Polish....love this stuff!

during_polished_kickpanel.jpgduring_polished_kickpanel.jpg before_endcap.jpgbefore_endcap.jpg during_endcap.jpgduring_endcap.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Nice work
Nothing like reviving older stuff and bringing it to new/factory fresh condition.

#11 11 years ago

I'm pleased to say that Victory Glass is a great place to purchase new reproduction parts for classic jukeboxes. They had many new parts for the Seeburg HF100R model that I needed.
Here is a pic of the old and new instruction glass set I purchased. They made a great improvement on the appearance of the front. Now you may notice the chrome does show some wear. The worst of it can be seen near the instruction glass, and for the most part the chrome still looks very nice on this jukebox. I preferred to leave the chrome original and not get it replated as I wanted to keep some of the original wear on it to somewhat show it's age.

during_newglass.jpgduring_newglass.jpg during_newglass2.jpgduring_newglass2.jpg during_newglass3.jpgduring_newglass3.jpg

#12 11 years ago

Next began the huge task of replacing the jukebox siding with new off white and burled wood as it had from the factory many years ago.

I had purchased a formica kit for this particular model jukebox that I found online. The kit worked well and the instructions were pretty straight forward. Installing formica was a learning process for me as I'd never done it before. I'm pleased with the results. I think it came out great.

Here are a few before and after pics.

during_sidepieces.jpgduring_sidepieces.jpg before_basesquares.jpgbefore_basesquares.jpg during_basesquares.jpgduring_basesquares.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Next up was redoing the sides.
I began by filling in the blemishes with bondo and then sanding smooth. Then onto doing the formica.
First piece to install on each side is the off white piece, then the burled wood piece.

before_rside.jpgbefore_rside.jpg during_rside.jpgduring_rside.jpg during_rside1.jpgduring_rside1.jpg

#14 11 years ago

I used a method I had read that showed how to install formica using Wax Paper. It worked very well for helping me line up the formica pieces. The trick on each of the large burled wood pieces is the curve at the bottom front corner. This was tricky as I had to heat the formica with a heat gun, and then had to use clamps to keep it in place once glued.

I knew that collection of every old pinball I've saved would come in handy!

during_rside3.jpgduring_rside3.jpg during_rside2.jpgduring_rside2.jpg during_rside4.jpgduring_rside4.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Next I did the left side.

Here is a pic of the refinished cabinet as well as a close up of the tricky bend at the front corner.

before_lside.jpgbefore_lside.jpg during_cabinet.jpgduring_cabinet.jpg during_formica_curve.jpgduring_formica_curve.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Next up was grill cloth time.
Of the entire jukebox restoration. This was the part that made me the most nervous, as I was going to use spray adhesive and I knew I only had 1 shot at doing it and hopefully doing it right.
First pic is of my laying it out ..getting ready for the adhesive. The second pic is of it glued on.

It was tricky and it came out great, actually better than I was expected.

New grill cloth made a world of difference in the overall appearance of this juke. The old grill cloth was very worn out, faded, and torn.

during_grillcloth.jpgduring_grillcloth.jpg during_grillcloth2.jpgduring_grillcloth2.jpg

#17 11 years ago

I'm super jealous. I've been looking for a project juke for awhile. I almost went to that auction..

Looks like its gonna be beautiful.

-Jeff

#18 11 years ago

Now begins the reassembly.
Each piece of decorative metal on the grill was polished. It's starting to look like a jukebox again.
Unfortunately I probably attached, detached, and reattached the metal framing on the each side of the jukebox several times as it had to go back together in a certain order for it to all fit together.

during_reassembly.jpgduring_reassembly.jpg during_reassembly2.jpgduring_reassembly2.jpg during_reassembly3.jpgduring_reassembly3.jpg

#19 11 years ago

Almost back together now and several hundred dollars in new reproduction parts, or some original parts I had to track down, this once $300 jukebox is probably now cost me over $1200...but so well worth it. Check out the grill

during_reassembly4.jpgduring_reassembly4.jpg

#20 11 years ago

And now onto the finished juke

P1081288.JPGP1081288.JPG P1081289.JPGP1081289.JPG P1081290.JPGP1081290.JPG

#21 11 years ago

A few more. The sides came out great.
New water slide pricing decal on the dome glass.

P1081292.JPGP1081292.JPG P1081293.JPGP1081293.JPG P1081297.JPGP1081297.JPG

#22 11 years ago

Wow.

What an outstanding job.

And huge thank you for sharing.

LTG : )

#23 11 years ago

Here are a few more.

P1081312.JPGP1081312.JPG P1081302.JPGP1081302.JPG P1081303.JPGP1081303.JPG

#24 11 years ago

very very nice job you did there, i'm jealous!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I used a method I had read that showed how to install formica using Wax Paper.

Little wooden dowels work well for that contact glue down on large formica materials too (working in the same building that did cabinet work rubbed off on me) always learned cool stuff through the years watching/doing and retaining the knowledge

#26 11 years ago

We'll that about sums it up.
I hope you enjoyed the restoration journey through my documentation and pictures.

I'm pleased to add this new addition to our home. It's nice to turn on and listen to tunes while working on games or when we've had friends and family over.

The 1954 Seeburg HF100R Jukebox holds 50 45 rpm records for 100 selections.
Mono - High Fidelity
The juke features 2 x 8" side speakers, 2 x 12" woofers and 1 x 5" tweeter behind the grill.

Here are a few final pics.

And I've made a youtube video playing the Man in Black here.

P1081298.JPGP1081298.JPG P1081299.JPGP1081299.JPG P1081309.JPGP1081309.JPG

#27 11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, I am green with envy!

#28 11 years ago

Simply beautiful,Thanks for sharing.I hope to do one soon.

#29 11 years ago

Very nice! Love it!

#30 11 years ago

great job, thanks for sharing the process!

#31 11 years ago

Thanks all for your comments. Almost makes me want to do another one. But.....nah, I've only got room for one.

#33 11 years ago

It looks and sounds great Craig!! You've almost motivated me to start restoring my '58 Wurlitzer 1700! Almost.... lol!

#34 11 years ago

Very very nice, great documentation also ! But you are so lucky to get the basis for 300$ Here in Germany you have to pay at least 2000 up to 2500$ for a poor condition.

#35 11 years ago

Very Nice.... great job ! Craig

#36 11 years ago

Its a crying shame things of this quality are not built anymore. AWESOME job on the resto.

#37 11 years ago

This thing is even more awesome in person. And it sounds great. Made me totally want one.

#38 11 years ago

This thing is even more awesome in person. And it sounds great. Made me totally want one.

I know the feeling, and I own it.
For some reason after restoring this one. I find myself combing Craigslist now daily looking to see what jukes pop up. Actually there is one of this same model that keeps popping up in the area, but it looks roached and the seller is asking $3500

..What's up with that!

whats_up_with_that.jpgwhats_up_with_that.jpg

#39 11 years ago

Nice job! Looks great. Wally

#40 11 years ago

The sound out of these things is incredible.Nothing like the combination of vacuum tubes and vinyl.Can't be duplicated.The engineering quality in these Seeburgs is some of the best ever done by human beings.These things can literally run for decades without failing.Our hardware at work can barely make it through a couple of days without screwing up.Here is a pix of mine,there is over a thousand dollars in rechroming here.Over 4-5k total.Worth every cent.Frank Sinatra is singing "Young At Heart" right now on mine.Late at night with the lights off and the right music playing it can take you back in time.I dare you to come up with any modern piece of hardware that can do that....

myjuke1a.jpgmyjuke1a.jpg

#41 11 years ago

Great job it has such a classic look I really like it.

#42 11 years ago

Jukehero1 yours looks very nice as well.
What's with the stereo writing above the rack?

Has yours been converted to stereo or something?

Listening to ours right now.
"I ran so far away" - flock of seagulls

Ours has lots of 80's music in ours.

1 year later
#43 10 years ago

I am just a new guy and owned same 1954 Seeburg HF100R. It plays just one side of the record continuosly back and forth. Appreciate any help I can get.
When i got this nice jukebox, the technician did something so I dont have to insert coins. It plays and sound good but it only plays one side of all the 50 records repeatedly.
Your restorations presentation is EXCELLENT.

2 months later
#44 10 years ago

Beautiful! I found this site as I just purchased a 1955 Seeburg 100 J, I am planning on a soft resto- no rechrome but new grill material, instructin glass, polish, etc.

#45 10 years ago

Just saw this year old thread today. Loved hearing Johnny Cash on the video as he is one of my favorite artists. I actually walked through the production area of the Seeburg plant at 1500 North Dayton in Chicago in 1977. What a huge facility. The Seeburg (old Bally actually) vending machines with coffee and soda pop werew on free vend for production employees. Louie Nicastro took care of his employees.

Most of the factory building is still standing although part of it was converted to a parkinggarage when it became a Homemaker's Furniture mega store. Then a Cadillac dealer. The office building on the South end of the plant which housed executive offices, finance and engineering is long gone.

The huge Seeburg logo sign that was at least 250' wide and was lit up with thousands of incandescent bulbs was a sight to see at night from the observation deck of Sears Tower.

#46 10 years ago

I just snagged a 100r. Waiting to get the amp and selection receiver back after rebuild. Haven't even turned it on without the rebuilds due to potential transformer damage without it. Chrome has some pitting but not thinking ill rechrome it at this point due to cost. Can't wait to fire her up! Only paid $500.

#47 10 years ago

Glad to see my thread is still alive and kicking.
Were still enjoying the juke, just like we did when i did the restore over a year ago.

Today while out kicking around town with the family, we made a trip to an awesome music store out in Grand Prairie. Ive been there several times. They have a massive selection of vinyl.

Picked up some new 45's today, a lot of classic country. Grew up on it listening to it with my parents.
Weird science - Oingo Boingo
Only Hell my momma ever raised - johnny paycheck
Proud Mary - Ike & Tina Turner
Crackers - Barbara Mandrell
Sleepin' single in a double bed - Barbara Mandrell
Rose colored glasses/backside of thirty - John Conlee
Come a little bit closer - Johnny Duncan
I'm gonna hire a wino, to decorate our home - David Frizzel

2 weeks later
#48 10 years ago

I have one of these jukeboxes here in Chicago that I'm looking to sell. I bought it in 1982 already restored and I just don't have the room or use for it anymore. Trying to figure out what it's worth. The wood on one side needs refinishing but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. I have lots of extra records and many of the printed tabs to go in the slots. Some of the records are originals from my sister's collection from the 1950's. I have an extra stylus also. Any ideas for asking price?IMG_0321.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

1 week later
#49 9 years ago

Hello Hassellcastle,
Great job !!, thanks for sharing your restoration process.
I have a Seeburg machine HF100R and need change the cloth grill. Could you tell me where I can bought this gold grill cloth same at yours ???

1 week later
#50 9 years ago

Victory glass or a1 jukebox in baltimore

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-my-restoration-on-our-1954-seeburg-hf100r-jukebox-lots-of-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.