(Topic ID: 79857)

Operators, whats the best coin door lock to use on route?

By Kevgascan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Abloy Hi Security.png
    image-226.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Whats the best coin door lock to use on route? Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Cheap one. That way it's easy to break into. No damage other than lock.

If you make it harder to get into, they do more damage.

Great lock - bend the piss out of the door and frame.

Lock bar across the front - peel the front of the cabinet with a crow bar.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lock bar across the front - peel the front of the cabinet with a crow bar.

What about punch a hole in the side of the cabinet? you forgot that one Lloyd

Thx
    Mike

#4 10 years ago

Locks are to keep honest people honest. Other wise a good Sawzall would open it up easily.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

What about punch a hole in the side of the cabinet? you forgot that one Lloyd

We both forgot lay the game on the side and put the boots to the bottom.

#6 10 years ago

I know I would like to get something else other than the standard double-bitted 7500 lock/key everyone seems to have.

-Mark

#7 10 years ago

I agree with Lloyd. Use something decent, but don't go overboard. They are going to get in if they want to get in, best that they don't destroy your game while doing it. Empty your games often so someone won't get away with a month's worth of earnings.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Empty your games often so someone won't get away with a month's worth of earnings.

Or think there is a lot in there and come back often.

#9 10 years ago

Even a padlock can be easily picked (Google Locksport) by any middle school kid.

Don't waste your money, a wooden box is simply not a secure system.

#10 10 years ago

Can you guys comment on the round style key locks. Seen on most vending machines. Thanks.

#11 10 years ago

aint nobody getting in with crowbars n stuff unless u r in the hood and no employee can see the game. thats in the past when game games had shiploads of money in them. unless you put your game in a 24 hour place that has no employees at all times. use a standard door / hasp lock. easy enough.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Can you guys comment on the round style key locks. Seen on most vending machines. Thanks.

Super easy to pick.

You can't even call it 'picking' it's so easy.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

aint nobody getting in with crowbars n stuff unless u r in the hood and no employee can see the game. .

Usually it's the employee's friends who break in.

#14 10 years ago

If you are talking Pinball, and still want the added security of a pad lock hasp without drilling holes in the cabinet, you can use a hasp that uses two of the leg bolts for mounting. Its not pretty, but it does the job well (if they even make them any longer?). It will tear up the two front legs a bit since it uses eye bolts that have been welded shut that you screw down against the leg. Which are easily sawed open with a normal hack saw or battery powered grinder.

As was suggested, the harder you make it to get into, the more damage you may see.

Those round ACE or GEMATIC locks are typcially prefered among large route operators as they can be ordered keyed alike with a key code only assigned to you. They typically have thicker tounges (or cams) but the threads on the bolt holding the cam is easily stripped when pried open.

#15 10 years ago

I use full coverage security doors that use the existing coin door bolt holes. I use these on arcade and pinball games. They don't make a mess of the game and when I remove them the coin door still looks brand new.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I was going to suggest the same thing... might take a bit of fabrication on the coin door, but I've seen soda vendors open their machines and it is quite a process. Seems like it would be secure enough.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Thunder424:

I was going to suggest the same thing... might take a bit of fabrication on the coin door, but I've seen soda vendors open their machines and it is quite a process. Seems like it would be secure enough.

The tool is $14 with free shipping from China

#18 10 years ago

Try picking a Van Lock:

http://www.vanlock.com/

Or a Duo/Illinois Lock:

http://www.illinoislock.com/

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The tool is $14 with free shipping from China

A $14 tool is at least a somewhat higher cost of entry than a couple of paper clips that will get you into a single tumbler cylinder lock.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

A $14 tool is at least a somewhat higher cost of entry than a couple of paper clips that will get you into a single tumbler cylinder lock.

I just use a Bic pen body.

#21 10 years ago

I use these style. All keyed the same

image-226.jpgimage-226.jpg

#23 10 years ago

I operate a route and I use high security cam locks on my games and nothing else. I have had one break in attempt that slightly bent a coin door in the last three years. Good security starts by choosing a good location for your equipment. This can have a far greater affect on the security of your machine than the types of lock system you bolt on. Only operate machines in locations that are always supervised. Place machines where they are easily seen and frequented by employees and customers alike. Get to know and be friends with the owner, managers, and to what extent possible, the employees who will be around your machines. This will make them more inclined to protect your property.

I would imagine that using a cheap lock that is easy to break will spare your equipment however it would also embolden the thieves. Once a person knows how easy it is to break in, they will continue to break in. This is bad for you and other operators in the area as they start making attempts on other machines and share their success stories with friends. This is why I use a good lock. They might make an attempt with an easy to conceal tool but once they fail they wont bother to try again.

True, if someone wants into your machine bad enough they will find a way and this just needs to be calculated into your cost of doing business. If you are not prepared to one day find severe damage to your equipment then you probably shouldn't be operating. Still, use common sense and make good choices in location and you should be fine.

These are the locks I use. "Half Moon" keys manufactured by Abloy.Abloy Hi Security.pngAbloy Hi Security.png

#24 10 years ago

On the majority of machines we had on our route, we used only DUO triple bit locks. Nobody could pick them plus even locksmiths could not make keys. The manufacturer was the only place to have keys made as each lock/key number was registered to a particular operator.

We first bought the locks in 1958. In the early 1990's our keys started to wear out and we ordered new keys from the factory. DUO knew from the key number that we were the registered owners. All we had to do was confirm the order on our company letterhead and business license number. Six weeks later our new keys arrived and worked perfectly.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from AdamPinball:

I would imagine that using a cheap lock that is easy to break will spare your equipment however it would also embolden the thieves. Once a person knows how easy it is to break in, they will continue to break in. This is bad for you and other operators in the area as they start making attempts on other machines and share their success stories with friends.

Actually, just the opposite would happen.

Once they break into a machine that their employee friend tells them has not been emptied in 2 weeks and find only the few bucks that pins earn nowadays, they will never break into a pinball machine again.

They will tell their friends about "the time we wasted 5 minutes breaking into a pinball machine.....we spent more money on gas than we got from the job".

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Actually, just the opposite would happen.
    Once they break into a machine that their employee friend tells them has not been emptied in 2 weeks and find only the few bucks that pins earn nowadays, they will never break into a pinball machine again.
    They will tell their friends about "the time we wasted 5 minutes breaking into a pinball machine.....we spent more money on gas than we got from the job".

So true! Ed

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Try picking a Van Lock:
    http://www.vanlock.com/
    Or a Duo/Illinois Lock:
    http://www.illinoislock.com/

HPC used to sell a pick for the Van open face tubular locks. I have them on some of my game room machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operators-whats-the-best-coin-door-lock-to-use-on-route and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.