Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by sparkup
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Nucore users,

Don and I would like to start off by thanking you for your support of the Nucore project for the last 6 years. When Don and I first talked about creating a replacement for the original pinball 2000 computer we never thought we would end up where we are. Recently, a few variables changed in the Nucore equation. Due to these changes Don and I decided to suspend sales of Nucore. We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future. How far into the future is unknown but we will certainly let you know when it’s back. We will still provide service to existing Nucore users including hardware repair for the USB board and audio amp. Pinball Life has limited availability of base units, audio amps, and cases.

Nucore was a lot of work and Don and I often wondered if it would be worth all of the pain. It certainly was and again we would like to thank our customers for making it all possible.

Chuck Hess
    Don Weingarden
    Big Guys Pinball

#2 11 years ago

Thanks guys, I love my Nucore.

#3 11 years ago

As a PB200 owner with the original guts, my initial reaction is this could really be bad news. If it craps out on me, now what? (no offense intended to BG Pinball guys - even though I don't own your product I appreciate your contribution to the hobby).

The other part of me wonders if this means something new and exciting is coming in the future.

Now to decide if I need to run and buy the basic $400 package as an insurance policy of sorts.

Regardless, good luck to Chuck and Don.

#4 11 years ago

Well, I wasn't expecting to drop $600 this morning, but went ahead and ordered the system and case from Terry at Pinball Life. I had the same exact thoughts - my RFM is running the original system and if it takes a dump then what.

Continuing Nucore in the near future could be 6 months or 6 years. Hopefully this isn't a coy marketing strategy to boost sales (j/k)

At any rate - I guess of I have some backup insurance on my original system.

#5 11 years ago

Darn they are not for sale anymore - I wish they could bring up production for a few more weeks just to let us who know that we will never sell our games buy the necessary insurance policy. I would be a buyer in a second - even though I don't necessary need it. Please take that into consideration.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the support guys. Hoping to see it make a return sooner than later. I would never even consider owning a Pin2k without a Nucore or the system being available. =\

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

I wasn't expecting to drop $600 this morning, but went ahead and ordered the system and case from Terry at Pinball Life.

Think they only had one in stock, no longer available.

#8 11 years ago

Guessing rick the dick is at it again.

#9 11 years ago

Love my nucore system thank you for all your hard work. It's nice that people that purchased it will still be supported if any issues arise.

#10 11 years ago

I had 6 Nucore base units in stock. I now have 5.

I order these in lots of 5 from Nucore. The last batch of 5 I ordered I never inventoried on my web site, so it would allow only 1 person to add them to their cart and check out.

I have now reactivated the last 5 base units I have in stock. When they are gone they are gone - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1549

Terry.
    www.pinballlife.com

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

Think they only had one in stock, no longer available.

Well, I got an order confirmation for the nucore system, audio amp, and case....

Looks like Terry has 5 left - I'm guessing these will be gone in a matter of hours.

#12 11 years ago

I just ordered mine and I would suggest if you have a P2000 you do the same. They will not last long.

#13 11 years ago

So I ordered the base kit as insurance and the case.

Do I need the audio amp? Or can I modify my existing one?

#14 11 years ago

FS: Nucore.. $1200 (wait for it..)

#15 11 years ago

as of 1:08pm CST i ordered one of the last two base nucore systems that terry (pinball life) had in stock. my SWE1 is currently working, but if it goes out and the nucore guys haven't started back up yet i will still be able to play.

on a side note, if anyone is looking for a SWE1/RFM full computer (i have roms for both games) i will let it go for $450 (plus shipping). This would be the case, audio board, prism card, daughter board and both sets of roms. i know for a fact that the SWE1 roms work as they are currently installed in the machine that i play and the last time i had the RFM roms in the computer they were working too.

pm me so i don't hijack this thread.

christopher

#16 11 years ago

Cue my RFM dying in...3....2...1....In all seriousness, it's been awesome to have the Nucore system as an option for replacing these Pin2k computers. Correct me if I am wrong but, I thought that Rob Anthony was able to fix these old Pin2k computers, so that at least gives us an option going forward? Either way, I want to again thank the guys behind Nucore, as I could not fathom the amount of work that went in to this!

#17 11 years ago

I am so glad that I have a Nucore system in my game.Makes the playfield swap a 5 min job
    Its a shame that others may not have that option in the future

Thanks for all the hard work!!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Correct me if I am wrong but, I thought that Rob Anthony was able to fix these old Pin2k computers, so that at least gives us an option going forward?

Rob Anthony does have a stockpile of parts and is a Pin2K genius. However, one guy and knock on wood something happens you're still up the creek.

I think I just picked up the last one on Pinball Life. Now, who can help me put this damn thing together? LOL.

#19 11 years ago

I believe there are 2 left, but it's hard to tell at the rate they are going.
    Terry.
    www.pinballlife.com

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

So I ordered the base kit as insurance and the case.
    Do I need the audio amp? Or can I modify my existing one?

Looks like you can modify the existing one to work. You will have to order an Arcade VGA card from Ultimarc if you are using the CRT monitor (not needed if you switch to LCD).

#21 11 years ago

You don't really need the amps.. you can hack a cheap pair of computer speakers if you like (that's what I did). Worked like a champ.

#22 11 years ago

Nucore base units are sold out.
    Terry.
    www.pinballlife.com

#23 11 years ago

RFM and SWEPI prices could get interesting for awhile.....

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future.

Not sure why all the panic unless I misread something.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

What's the projection? These 2 without a nucore are more susceptible to failure causing the prices to decrease? Units with a nucore installed will have inflated prices?
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I would like to own each of these in the near future.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Used parts to keep the original hardware going are also going to get interesting

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

I'll start the madness

FS: SWEp1 with RFM playfield and Nucore system.....machine is fully working and in nice shape. Flatscreen monitor installed. cash at pickup...price firm.... $8000

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I'll start the madness

FS: SWEp1 with RFM playfield and Nucore system.....machine is fully working and in nice shape. Flatscreen monitor installed. cash at pickup...price firm.... $8000

I will cut his price and sell mine for $7999.99 Same setup...lol

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Nucore base units are sold out.
    Terry.
    http://www.pinballlife.com

Argh, I just saw this thread and went to get one.

#30 11 years ago

Nucore has been out for a few years now. Given how quickly technology seems to be advancing, I would not be surprised if when the fine folks at Nucore start producing them again that they are a much improved version of what is currently on the market. Technology is getting to the point where your smartphone could run a P2K.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

#31 11 years ago

"When you want to play your RFM or SWE1, simply plug your iPhone or Android into the docking station...."

Now when that happens it will be AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#32 11 years ago

What is a Pin2k, and what is it for? Bummer that they need to take a break. Hope they can come out of it ok.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from mccoy2797:

What is a Pin2k,

Last two pinball machines Williams made, a start of a new platform that never got much chance.

On the Internet Pinball Database look up Revenge From Mars and Star Wars Episode 1.

LTG

#34 11 years ago

prices of Pin2k's are now going to flat line - for the first time in modern pinball history

#35 11 years ago

I somewhat disagree with respect to RFM. I think prices will hold or go up for systems with Nucore. Maybe flatline for systems without since you are taking a little chance if the computer craps out.

Can't speak for SWEPI. I have a friend who has one working and one with a dead computer and he had no real sense of urgency to get a Nucore after today's announcement.

I wanted it for insurance since my family really enjoys RFM and I wouldn't want it to be down for an unspecified time until when/if Nucore comes back.

#36 11 years ago

Im in the market for RFM this might change my mind

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Recently, a few variables changed in the Nucore equation.

Do tell.

#38 11 years ago

I agree. What changed that caused this?

#39 11 years ago

I have both an RFM and an SWE1. I did not in any way feel compelled to rush out and get Nucore after reading the announcement today. Both my games have been going strong with the original hardware for 13 years, and the I anticipate they will continue to function properly for years to come. Then again, my machines are both HUO with very low plays. I suppose I might feel differently if they were routed machines on their last legs.

#40 11 years ago

Mine is going strong as well and I enjoy Rob Anthony visits too. I love the game too much to risk it going down for the count. Plus I have SWE1 playfield not two whole systems like you do.

#41 11 years ago

Huge loss to the community here. I sure hope they come back sooner rather than later.

#42 11 years ago

If anyone wants to unload their RFM at a discount I have a friend who wants one bad and I would like one too. I am taking this announcement as good news for those with patience.

#43 11 years ago

RIP Wizard Blocks

#44 11 years ago

Hopefully they will be back!
    SUPPLY & DEMAND = $

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

RIP Wizard Blocks

This. I really like my RFM but the slim chance of Wizard Blocks happening some day was a big reason I bought it. Hopefully Nucore returns new and improved... and with a Wizard Blocks kit.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

prices of Pin2k's are now going to flat line - for the first time in modern pinball history

???

PB2K kept getting cheaper and cheaper because of the lack of options before. NuCore allowed them to "flatline" instead of continuing their downward trend and become established at a certain price point. The machines definitely were worth less than they were new, even yesterday before this announcement.

#47 11 years ago

Lets hope a new options comes out. Maybe this will cause a drop in artwork prices for RFM for a short period. I have a nice one running original HW. I guess it is time to crack open the case and do the HW mods, by an extra cyrix processor etc. RFM is a really great game so lets hope they get something new to market.

Michael

#48 11 years ago

well shit. Mines for sale for $5k and it's all original, with crisp monitor.

#49 11 years ago

Thanks for the time of doing this in the first place. I read an article in Gameroom Magazine about the time and effort in doing this, and I was amazed at how dedicated Chuck and Dan were at making this happen in the first place.

I don't know what happened, and I truly hope that this is just a suspension and does not become the end.

Again, even though I do not own a pin2000, thanks for stepping up.

#50 11 years ago

Well crap. Recently got a RFM and Nucore was going to be my safety net when the computer dies. What to do now...

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-announcement?replies=29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.