(Topic ID: 68888)

New STTNG Mod: Functional Shuttlecraft (USS Rio Grande)

By pezpunk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-815.jpg
image-328.jpg
image-363.jpg
image-396.jpg
image-490.jpg
image.jpg
top.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5961.JPG
done7.jpg
done4.jpg
done6.jpg
done5.jpg
done2.jpg
done3.jpg
done.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I've mentioned my USS Rio Grande mod a couple times on here and had a few PMs requesting more info so I thought I'd post some details. I'm pretty proud of this mod and I haven't seen it done before. Basically, I replaced the stock shuttlecraft with Hallmark's USS Rio Grande and rigged the thing to light up when the Holodeck Shuttlecraft Simulation is lit.

done3.jpgdone3.jpg

done9.jpgdone9.jpg

compare.jpgcompare.jpg

(warning: the next couple paragraphs are intensely geeky ... those with lower tolerances towards Star Trek minutiae are encouraged to skip ahead! )

The stock shuttlecraft:
old.jpgold.jpg

The original model on this machine basically resembles the Type 6 Shuttlecraft commonly seen on Star Trek: The Next Generation, but the model is lacking many of the ship’s details and is kinda cheap looking. The USS Rio Grande model, however, is far more detailed and accurate to its namesake, which is a Danube-class runabout (a beefier type of shuttlecraft). Although the Rio Grande appeared primarily on Deep Space Nine, various Danube-class runabouts did appear several times on The Next Generation. Picard, Troi, and Data are riding in one at the beginning of the episode "Timescape" – that’s the one where Picard’s hand suddenly gets old when he reaches for some fruit, and then later on he goes space crazy and draws a smiley face on a time-frozen warp core breech in progress.

You remember that one. The runabout shows up at the very end of this clip.

Anyway, when I first did this mod, in the back of my mind, it always bothered me just a wee bit because I felt like the USS Rio Grande was really a Deep Space Nine ship, and maybe didn't belong on a STTNG pinball machine, technically. But then, as luck would have it, I discovered to my delight that according to Memory Alpha (the Star Trek wiki), the USS Rio Grande was in fact initially dropped off on Deep Space Nine by Picard’s Enterprise! This suggests it was among the Enterprise’s standard complement of shuttlecraft at least at one point. Therefore -- and I fully realize I’m the only human being in the universe who cares about this – the USS Rio Grande is canonically totally legit on a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" themed pinball machine! Hooray!

Ok, on to the mod itself.

Materials:
1. Hallmark USS Rio Grande Christmas Ornament. I found mine on Amazon. EBay is also probably an option.
2. 2 pieces of wire, maybe 20 inches long.
3. Something with which to prop up the ship. I used some leftover extra-long motherboard offsets from a computer I built, but there are plenty of options here.
4. Something small and round to muffle the ornament’s speaker. I used a thick button, but a piece of rubber or even a healthy dob of hot glue would probably do the trick. Unless of course you enjoy hearing Lt. Worf intoning “I WISH YOU AN HONORABLE HOLIDAY” whenever you light the holodeck. During attract mode, as the holodeck insert blinks on and off, you get the special techno version: “I WISH YOU AN- I WISH YOU AN- I WISH YOU AN- I WISH YOU AN-” (with something covering the speaker, though, you don't hear anything)

Procedures:
Installation is pretty straightforward. First remove the old shuttlecraft by removing the plastic it is mounted on, flipping it over, and then removing the two screws underneath the shuttlecraft. Note the two holes on the bottom of the old shuttlecraft where it screws in to the plastic:
underside.jpgunderside.jpg

Drill 2 small holes on the underside of the Rio Grande, making sure they are the same distance apart as the original ship’s holes, so that the new ship can be mounted in the same place on the same plastic. Screw the offsets into these holes. Also, clip and strip the ornament’s wires a couple inches from the ship:
prepared.jpgprepared.jpg

Next, attach the sound dampener. After putting this button over the speaker, Worf’s voice is no longer audible during gameplay:
prepared2.jpgprepared2.jpg

Next, solder two wires as shown. This board is directly beneath the holodeck insert:
solder.jpgsolder.jpg

Then feed the wires up through the hole in the playfield for the right shuttlecraft target at the base of the right side of the Beta Quadrant ramp:
feed.jpgfeed.jpg

Feed the wires under the lip of the right side of the ramp, and around the back of the plastic that the shuttlecraft mounts on.
feed2.jpgfeed2.jpg

Install the Rio Grande in the same holes that the original shuttle was in:
attached.jpgattached.jpg

Attach the wires, re-attach the plastic, and feed the wires through the target hole so that there’s not too much slack.
done2.jpgdone2.jpg

And that’s it! The shuttle should light up whenever the Holodeck insert is lit, including during attract mode. Here's some more pictures:

done8.jpgdone8.jpg

playfield.jpgplayfield.jpg

done.jpgdone.jpg

done2.jpgdone2.jpg

done4.jpgdone4.jpg

done5.jpgdone5.jpg

done6.jpgdone6.jpg

done7.jpgdone7.jpg

offsets.jpgoffsets.jpg
picard.jpgpicard.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Very nicely done!

#3 10 years ago

Nice mod. Way better than the original.

QSS

#4 10 years ago

That's great, and you don't have to take the ornament apart to add resisters, etc like some of the other mods. I love it when all you need to do is wire it to the game! Great job!

#5 10 years ago

Nicely done. In addition to the mod, I particularly loved the geeky description. Something that I would look up too! No go and paint that Borg ship!!

#6 10 years ago

Dang. I'm totally sold on purple star posts now. I'm gonna have to break this bitch back down when I do the pop bumper bodies.

#7 10 years ago

Very nice. Def way better than stock shuttle. Great job on the documentation too.

Bob Frysztak also did some amazing mods with all the stock ships (painted and LED).

#8 10 years ago

Nice job!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from amalongi:

Nicely done. In addition to the mod, I particularly loved the geeky description. Something that I would look up too! No go and paint that Borg ship!!

hah yes the Borg ship is next on my agenda!

#10 10 years ago

Nice!

I already have this ship (had all of them on our X-mas tree every year) and will be doing this mod. Thanks!

Honestly I had considered this mod in the past but was also concerned about the whole Deep Space Nine shuttle thing....lol.

#11 10 years ago

Just ordered the Rio Grande this morning. Looks like a great way to dress up my STTNG...

#12 10 years ago

If they built the machine with a Borg ship that was in, what, one episode(?), I think we all have tthe right to install a shuttlecraft tthat was a veritable "regular" by comparison.

#13 10 years ago

I also just ordered one! Thanks very much for the info! I also put the playmates Borg Cube in my game and it really finishes off the game nicely.

IMG_5961.JPGIMG_5961.JPG
#14 10 years ago

Thanks for the info...and the tour down memory alpha...
Very geeky.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#15 10 years ago

Glad everyone's enjoying the mod!

Quoted from amalongi:

If they built the machine with a Borg ship that was in, what, one episode(?), I think we all have tthe right to install a shuttlecraft tthat was a veritable "regular" by comparison.

haha yeah that particular Borg ship only appeared in a two-parter, so either one or two episodes depending how you score it. Not Williams' fault though -- Paramount urged them to use it instead of the more iconic Borg Cube. oh well!

#16 10 years ago

Not that it doesn't already rock, but the look of this game would just have been over the top with the Borg Cube!

Pinwizard - sweet job on that cube. How did you do that??

#17 10 years ago

That Romulan warbird looks awesome! Does it light up at all like the Hallmark ornament? I like the ornament better than the stock ship because it is more detailed and lights up, but it doesn't have near the detail as the warbird in your game.

I've always thought the "warbird halo" around the green flasher looked weird, and intended to connect a Hallmark ship and redesign the flasher placement somehow. That said, the Hallmark ornament detail isn't all that great, and it could really use a paint job. That warbird you have looks great as-is, even if it is silver instead of green.

#18 10 years ago

That is badass

BTW I do miss this game. Glad you are enjoying it. I did order the STLE so I'm just waiting impatiently to get my Star Trek fix back on

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

That Romulan warbird looks awesome! Does it light up at all like the Hallmark ornament? I like the ornament better than the stock ship because it is more detailed and lights up, but it doesn't have near the detail as the warbird in your game.
I've always thought the "warbird halo" around the green flasher looked weird, and intended to connect a Hallmark ship and redesign the flasher placement somehow. That said, the Hallmark ornament detail isn't all that great, and it could really use a paint job. That warbird you have looks great as-is, even if it is silver instead of green.

yeah it's from the Franklin Mint. It is nicely detailed and looks great, even though it's not green. It does not light up, but I mounted the flasher inside of it - luckily the flasher fits perfectly, wedged inside the wings. This thing is pewter and gold and therefore pretty heavy, so mounting it was tricky. It's also larger than the stock ship or the hallmark one.

Quoted from hank527:

That is badass
BTW I do miss this game. Glad you are enjoying it. I did order the STLE so I'm just waiting impatiently to get my Star Trek fix back on

Hey Hank! Yes I'm loving it, thanks again. Congrats on the STLE -- I was seriously tempted as well!

#20 10 years ago

Very cool mod and nice to learn about the different types of shuttles and runabouts in this thread.

#21 10 years ago

While tinkering around with doing this myself i found that if you glue the activation button down on the underside of the ship Worf's voice will not activate and the lights stay much brighter.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

While tinkering around with doing this myself i found that if you glue the activation button down on the underside of the ship Worf's voice will not activate and the lights stay much brighter.

thanks for the tip! i'll try it!

#23 10 years ago

I'm putting a life-sized Levar Burton on my playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'm putting a life-sized Levar Burton on my playfield.

image.jpg 59 KB

Wait until Steve Ritchie designs Reading Rainbow.

#25 10 years ago

This is my topper.....

top.jpgtop.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Wow, love this thread. Not only have I ordered the new shuttle (the old one disturbed my with its plasticness), my daughter (10) wanted to watch the episode linked and loved it. We got into linear vs bendable time etc. Nerdly I have the complete series on DVD.

Thanks for this. See, pinball is educational.

need that borg cube now...

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Wow, love this thread. Not only have I ordered the new shuttle (the old one disturbed my with its plasticness), my daughter (10) wanted to watch the episode linked and loved it. We got into linear vs bendable time etc. Nerdly I have the complete series on DVD.
Thanks for this. See, pinball is educational.
need that borg cube now...

haha great! coincidentally, putting together this post inspired me to show that same episode to my daughter, too. she's only 6, so i have to explain a lot of the plot points to her (especially the implications of the technobabble), but she basically gets it and she likes to talk about it afterwards. good times! i was proud when she saw Best of Both Worlds (where Picard gets Borgified) and didn't have nightmares.

5 months later
#29 9 years ago

sorry, I had to bump this and say thank you for showing this mod and explaining it so well. Great pics too! I really don't see a problem using this shuttle because STTNG and DS9 are pretty much linked in the series and even shared some characters that were transferred over after the movie. I'm in the process of modding mine and I just can't get over how awesome this game is to mod. Since I'm also a Deep Space 9 fan I thought it may be cool to give a small nod to that series by putting in the Hallmark Defiant. I wish Hallmark had the Jem'Hadar ship too with the purple underbelly. I did have a question though. I'm a little nervous soldering the shuttle to that board underneath the playfield. Has anyone had any problems with it after installing this. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks

#30 9 years ago

glad you like it! Mine still works and nothing's caught on fire yet...

I agree a jem'hadar bug ship would be cool. They introduced them in Star Trek Online recently and despite not being the most powerful ship in the game, they're very popular.

#31 9 years ago

Hey Pezpunk, two more questions. Do you think I could wire the Defiant in a similar fashion somewhere else on the playfield? Also, what type of flippers are those with a textured looking top?

#32 9 years ago

1. I don't see why not but I should warn you I know nothing about the voltage ratings or load implications of these things. I'd like to know myself.

2. The flippers aren't textured, they're translucent. What you're seeing is the structure inside the flipper. I believe I got them from PPS here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-20-10110-18&Store_Code=PP

1 week later
#33 9 years ago

Thank you for this mod info, and all the pictures. It looks Great!
Got my Rio Grande in the Mail today.
The ship looks great. And the old one looks horrible.

Axl

1 week later
#34 9 years ago

Does anyone know where there are instructions on how and where to add the Enterprise ornament?

#35 9 years ago

I haven't found any. If you don't have LEDs just wire it straight into gi. I did this and it was 5.8v which was in spec for the hallmark ornament. I've since switched to LEDs and measured closer to 7 volt which is just too much so I disconnected it. So I'm in the same boat looking for something to cut it back and just not smart enough to know what to use.

#36 9 years ago

I was curious if adding a resistor to it would be the correct way to go...I'm just not sure which one.

#39 9 years ago

I found this information on a site that involves Ohm's law:

"...use Ohms law Volts=Current x Resistance to calculate the value of the resistor for a give current - the LED operating current. If an LED needs 3 volts and operates at 10mAmps and the supply is 9 volts then: 9-3=6 volts across the resistor. V=I x R can be changed round to be R=V / I So R=6 / .010 amp (10 milliamps.) = 600 ohms...."

^^^ This seems pretty easy to figure out what resistor to use but in order to do so you need to know the amps or the miliamps that the Enterprise ship operates at. I'm not sure how to do this part unless someone on here knows what amp the hallmark ship operates at.

#40 9 years ago

You would need the spec sheet for the LEDs you used....should have the forward voltage drop required to turn the LED on and the max current.

#41 9 years ago

Hey Frax, the problem for me is that I'm not adding LED's to the enterprise ship, so I have no spec sheet to go by. I'm just using whatever ones are currently lighting up in the ornament so I have no idea how to find out what amperage that the ship operates at. Without this information, I don't see how to apply my formula or use the calculator in the site you provided.

#42 9 years ago

Oh, those tiny little incandescents? Yeah, I have no idea.

*Edit* Okay, I lied. I might have an idea, I might be wasting your time.. are you pulling voltage from AC or DC source?

#43 9 years ago

From what I understand, some of the Hallmark ornaments had LEDs and some had incandescents. I thought I heard somewhere that the Enterprise ship had LED's. As far as hooking it up, I haven't even done this yet, "mbob" had said that he tried hooking it up to GI.

#44 9 years ago

Put it this way... what's the thing expecting in terms of batteries? Is it 4 1.5v batteries?

#45 9 years ago

This ornament is like the others where it is designed to plug into one of the led lights on a christmas tree. I just don't understand why some of these mods people are doing require resistors and some don't. Like the Klingon BOP and the Romulan ship both require transistors but the shuttle craft doesn't. I'm a moron when it come to electricity..haha

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

This ornament is like the others where it is designed to plug into one of the led lights on a christmas tree. I just don't understand why some of these mods people are doing require resistors and some don't. Like the Klingon BOP and the Romulan ship both require transistors but the shuttle craft doesn't. I'm a moron when it come to electricity..haha

Because a LED when powered with sufficient voltage is effectively ZERO resistance. That means it's pulling the maximum possible current, which might be too much for the LED, and cause them to fail prematurely. The resistor in series effectively limits the current in that part of the circuit to something within spec. If you don't have enough voltage to turn the LED on, you're basically looking at inifinite resistance, and thus zero current.

Incandescent bulbs provide an inherent resistance, which is what causes the filament to heat up and glow, so you don't have quite the same issue...you can control it with voltage alone, as opposed to trying to manage the current.

At least, that's how I understand it. Don't take my word as gospel on this....

#47 9 years ago

I just don't understand is If all these ornaments are designed to run out of the same christmas tree bulb (led) socket then why do some require resistors and some don't. They are all designed to go in the same socket...

#48 9 years ago

Also, the box that I have for my STTNG Enterprise says the following:

"Ornament plugs easily into any of the light bulb sockets on a miniature tree light string. Use only with standard U.L., -listed light strings of 3.5- or 6-volt bulbs."

So doesn't this mean that this ornament should be ok if the voltage is between 3.5 to 6???

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

So doesn't this mean that this ornament should be ok if the voltage is between 3.5 to 6???

Yes.

#50 9 years ago

Ok, then from what I understand this should be correct: mbob above had said that he measured the voltage as 7. So inputting this into the calculator and inputting a 6 in for the "voltage drop - voltage required by the led" and using 20 miliamps it says that a 50 Ohm resistor is what is needed...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-sttng-mod-functional-shuttlecraft-uss-rio-grande and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.