Topic poll

“What do you think of the Thunderbirds theme?”

• Love it! 152 votes
    29%
  • Thunder-who? 234 votes
    44%
  • Doesn't matter as long as it plays well 140 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 526 votes by 511 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

homepin_facebook (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg
true class (resized).jpg
classy all the way (resized).jpg
Shell-Station (resized).png
51f9d738dba2b5b4e34c94a1b1c466da (resized).jpg
IMG_0544 (resized).JPG
slingassemble7 (resized).jpg
slingassemble8 (resized).jpg
optoboards2 (resized).jpg
optoboards (resized).jpg
optoboards4 (resized).jpg
optoboards3 (resized).jpg
3targets (resized).jpg
dtplastic (resized).jpg
pinfestmechs (resized).jpg
There are 1,845 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 37.
#501 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Since it was a few games into the WPC era before they started using the fliptronics system there's a good chance the patents are still in effect on the flipper boards. Same with many WPC generation parts. Also have to watch out when laying out a board, as trace layouts actually fall under copyright and not patent, and thus are valid for a much much longer time.

Pretty much all the pre-Pin2k patents have expired at this point. Copyright is of course a different story (nothing post-Mickey is ever likely to expire again) but unless he literally photocopied the board layouts that wouldn't be an issue.

Too bad he's insisting on going full crank mode on the other stuff though, I think the Thunderbirds would be a pretty cool theme.

#502 10 years ago

By my understanding that flipper opto patent expired two weeks ago.

(I swear none of the previous patent comments were here when I typed my original response, maybe the DB is acting up.)

EDIT of EDIT: NM, wrong patent if anybody read the edit.

#503 10 years ago

Well as we're just getting done making the correct Flipper Opto Assy's we will be ok ... we've got OEM boards, etc and getting them finished up now.

#504 10 years ago

I am okay with this pin not being shipped to North America, we are a huge consumer market and we need to let these other countries fill their landfills with Chinese made crap too.
I believe when you spread the junk around it is good for everybody.

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I'm really hesitant to chime in at all in this thread because I love my Aussie friends and I love everyone making pinball products. But the question is burning in my mind enough to take the leap and ask. Are the patents international or just enforceable in the US?
If they aren't international then could this be the real reason we're not going to see these for sale in the US?

Both the US and Australia are signatories to the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PTC), and there are avenues to pursue patent violations internationally. I just don't know enough to say if this protection is recieved automatic with receiving a US patent, or if it has to be filed for on its own.

-Hans

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Pretty much all the pre-Pin2k patents have expired at this point. Copyright is of course a different story (nothing post-Mickey is ever likely to expire again) but unless he literally photocopied the board layouts that wouldn't be an issue.
Too bad he's insisting on going full crank mode on the other stuff though, I think the Thunderbirds would be a pretty cool theme.

The boards are different layouts, they are re-designed to replace obsolete parts with one that are currently available.

#509 10 years ago

Hi all

Gone through the patent process in Australia for a hand tool and I only applied for it in Australia , it was going to cost me big bucks to have it patented in the USA or Europe, so I a made the decision not to do so.

My understanding is that a patented invention can not be made or sold in the country that the patent is filed without permision. . For example I have an Australian patent only, no one in Australia can make or sell it here without my OK, however someone in the USA could make it and sell it anywhere except Australia and I would have no recourse.

However no one in the World can patent my idea anywhere.

I of course can sell my products anywhere.

Obviously it works visa versa.

So if the williams patents were filed in the USA only, technically an Australian company can manufacture the product with no recourse, BUT can not sell it to the USA.

Hope this helps

#510 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Both the US and Australia are signatories to the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PTC), and there are avenues to pursue patent violations internationally. I just don't know enough to say if this protection is recieved automatic with receiving a US patent, or if it has to be filed for on its own.
-Hans

won't the majority of the parts for this game be made in china? I'm sure the chinese will send out their crack patent enforcement team

If the patents are only patented for USA - then Europe is open market.

Maybe the decision not to sell to USA was in fact influenced by this...

#511 10 years ago

Well, and the problem with patent law, is it is up to the owner of the patent to enforce it. I don't think that ever works out for anyone but the largest companies that have legal teams and can go to court every day.

#512 10 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I'm really hesitant to chime in at all in this thread because I love my Aussie friends and I love everyone making pinball products. But the question is burning in my mind enough to take the leap and ask. Are the patents international or just enforceable in the US?
If they aren't international then could this be the real reason we're not going to see these for sale in the US?

I believe that US patents are only enforceable in the US. There is a European patent office for Europe. Maybe StevenP could chime in on this subject. I work on the other side of the patent business

#513 10 years ago

I know http://www.google.com/patents/US5358243 has expired (the modern ball trough). a whole bunch have expired (I know this one off top of my head as I ran into it some time back by accident).

this one for fastbreak has not expired http://www.google.com/patents/US5806851 but probably will in a couple of years.

pinball patents are funky things.

#514 10 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Maybe the decision not to sell to USA was in fact influenced by this...

Yet the planned production numbers were reduced by half almost immediately after the online tirade against the US/Canada....

#515 10 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I have almost decided that I will not make this machine available to the USA market. I may not even include an option for 110V.
The USA was never an intended market. There are 200 other countries..............
Have fun in the USA living in your sheltered world.
I'm busy now - taking the "post to the USA" option off my website for boards I make because I don't think I will sell them to anyone in the US anymore - ByeBye.
Yes, I am taking my bat and ball and going home (if any of you actually understand that).

Child. . . you sound like Wayne Gillard of the famous MM remake that never happened.

#516 10 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Child. . . you sound like Wayne Gillard of the famous MM remake that never happened.

Now that I think about it, Wayne decided not to sell his MM remakes to Canada and the US as well...

#517 10 years ago

And Mike mysteriously disappears from the face of this thread.

#518 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Leaving an empty place in absolutely nobody's heart.

#519 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It was a good move on his part, it would have just escalated. Both JJP and Stern take a ton of abuse/criticism, but they just ignore it for the most part. Internet rule #7.

#520 10 years ago

Welcome back my friends to the thread that never ends................

#521 10 years ago

so glad you could attend come inside, come inside..

#522 10 years ago

Well... it's a bit like when he left the WOZ hardware thread mid-discussion. But he's still around, warning others with stuff like "I shudder to think what will be involved swapping a mainboard in a WOZ...." and supporting the inappropriateness of WOZ using a PC with the 2 hours it took him to get a barcode printer driver working (???). So, I'm sure he'll still be where the audience is more like-minded.

In another place I was trying to get him to understand that what he said here and on his site wasn't cool, regardless of his later excuses for why he said it... but let's just say he didn't get the picture. Oh well.

#523 10 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Yet the planned production numbers were reduced by half almost immediately after the online tirade against the US/Canada....

Of course you'd know better than his own business. Stick to necros, sunnybank.

#524 10 years ago

I know a few people who want opto flipper boards as replacements, of course, but any new game manufacturer I'm sure will avoid the whole mess and use regular switch contacts.

The flipper switch contact was a "problem" that did not need to be fixed.

#525 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

o, yeah he probably realized he overreacted.. prob cause everyone was shitting on the Thunderbirds pin. How would the Predator guys of handled themselves if everyone here said it was a horrible idea.

I'm guessing that they would have went with another theme?

I doubt that they would have said F you stupid North Americans, we aren't going to sell to you!

#526 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The flipper switch contact was a "problem" that did not need to be fixed.

True, but most of mine need to be replaced.

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Of course you'd know better than his own business. Stick to necros, sunnybank.

Since I provide legal advice for business owners on a daily basis across a broad range of industries, I can certainly advise as to the efficacy of this business direction.

Not above the Merthyr bowls club shemales, Norman.....

#528 10 years ago

Fancy words for conveyancing. Murray bridge is a hot spot for legal advice, and reknown worldwide as a minge court.

Don't you still live with your parents? Opinion is invalid.

#529 10 years ago

Mergers and acquisitions actually, a little more complicated than general conveyancing.

It seems you are mistaken as to a number of matters (including your use of the incorrectly spelled word "reknown" (sic)).

Hope this doesn't crush your ego too much, but feel free to keep projecting your insecurity.

#530 10 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Mergers and acquisitions actually, a little more complicated than general conveyancing.
It seems you are somewhat misguided as to a number of matters (including your use of the word "reknown" (sic)).
Hope this doesn't crush your ego too much, but feel free to keep projecting your insecurity.

You're funny.

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from shootar:

Thats why you are so well known in the legal fraternity.

Those who matter know me, those who don't rely on supposition and idle gossip to shore up their insecurities.

#532 10 years ago

INTERMISSION!

#533 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

True, but most of mine need to be replaced.

Exactly.

#534 10 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Those who matter know me, those who don't rely on supposition and idle gossip to shore up their insecurities.

Really is that why you have a photo of my father as your avatar you pathetic man. A true professional.

#535 10 years ago

An absolute over reaction here from Homepin due to a few negative posts. It will be hard to recover after the small minded idiots statement.

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryphon:

An absolute over reaction here from Homepin due to a few negative posts.

After, but not due to, I'm sure.

#537 10 years ago

Lucky for the USA and Canada customers as Homepin is once again selling parts to you all.

#538 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryphon:

Lucky for the USA and Canada customers as Homepin is once again selling parts to you all.

Yeah.... We're the lucky ones. You know the close minded idiots? This thread and the screenshots of his website will live in infamy.

#539 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryphon:

An absolute over reaction here from Homepin due to a few negative posts. It will be hard to recover after the small minded idiots statement.

Luckily we have brand new users on Pinside to provide us notification of his contrition.

#540 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryphon:

Lucky for the USA and Canada customers as Homepin is once again selling parts to you all

No thanks, I'll pass....

#541 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

No thanks, I'll pass....

Ditto, got nothing I need or want.
Vera is in Nigeria, that is where his target market lives.

#542 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryphon:

Nobody saw that coming...

#543 10 years ago

When I first saw this thread I got excited because Thunderbirds is part of the pop culture I grew up with. I then waited and watched as the thread petered out because most didn't know about the theme or said it was lame.

It took the producer of this product to say that he was not interested in the overseas market anyway, for more reasons than some insulting posts, to get anybodys real attention. How sad. A little encouragement can go a long way in this world.

#544 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

No thanks, I'll pass....

I will also be passing on anything douchepin related on principal.
This guy and his bitch with a skinned knee attitude makes me ashamed to be an Australian.
He is a dead set clown.

#545 10 years ago

Nothing to be ashamed about, lots of good people in Oz and us stupid Americans and Canadians are smart enough to not lump all Aussies in the same category as this wingnut.

Quoted from Wamprat:

This guy and his bitch with a skinned knee attitude makes me ashamed to be an Australian.
He is a dead set clown.

#546 10 years ago

Ditto, we will be picking up X-Pin's DMDs instead.

#547 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

He is a dead set clown.

+1

What he did was, at best, not a very clever thing to do.

#548 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yeah.... We're the lucky ones. You know the close minded idiots? This thread and the screenshots of his website will live in infamy.

Yes a little too late for Homepin to recover from that.

#549 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Nothing to be ashamed about, lots of good people in Oz and us stupid Americans and Canadians are smart enough to not lump all Aussies in the same category as this wingnut.

Hey, now, the Wingnut group of companies is from New Zealand, and make some absolutely fantastic products. Helps that Peter Jackson is at the helm. Definitely check out their WWI model kits if you're a builder.

-Hans

#550 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Hey, now, the Wingnut group of companies is from New Zealand, and make some absolutely fantastic products. Helps that Peter Jackson is at the helm. Definitely check out their WWI model kits if you're a builder.
-Hans

Maybe we could see a meet the feebles pinball.

There are 1,845 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-announced-by-homepin-thunderbirds/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.